MUST win Super Bowl year, would you agree?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After going 15-1 last yr & that terrible loss to the NYGs the Packers have something to prove. Especially on D. Just going to the SB isn't enough. You gotta win it! As Lombardi said "winning isn't just a sometime thing. It's an all the time thing" plz forgive me if that's not word for word but u get the jest. I predict our D will be top 5 or better the whole yr. our O-line will be top 3 of not #1. Here is my prediction. NFC Championship game GB vs Eagles. 35-24 GB. AFC Championship Ravens vs Pats. 28-24 Ravens. Super Bowl XLVII Packers vs Ravens 38-24 Packers. People will then try to talk to DD in going out on top. I think he should. Woodson will retire after the 2013 season.

Did Lombardi win every game? Was he a failure?

If we 'gotta win it' - what is the repercussions of not winning? Emotional misery? Why allow something out of your control dictate your emotional disposition? Whether the Packers win or loose, there is no direct physical effect on you, only what you allow emotionally (unless you work for the Packers and get a bonus). If the Packers went 1-15 last season, would it really have any impact on your life, other than your emotional well-being?

There are no 'must win' situations. I feel badly when the Packers loose, but its only very temporary. What is important to me is the game itself, not the result. I would rather watch the Packers lose with a loved one, than to watch the Packers win by myself.

damn i'm really getting philosophical and mushy these days.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say that I think we have a team capable of winning this year, so on some level I'll be disappointed/let down if we don't win it. But this isn't the type of question that I spend any time thinking about. When you start out with a "must", it implies there will be consequences if it doesn't happen. So what, we win this year or else Thompson breaks up the band? We win this season or else we won't have any more chances? We win this year or else I stop cheering for the Packers? No.

CheeseHead87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say that I think we have a team capable of winning this year, so on some level I'll be disappointed/let down if we don't win it. But this isn't the type of question that I spend any time thinking about. When you start out with a "must", it implies there will be consequences if it doesn't happen. So what, we win this year or else Thompson breaks up the band? We win this season or else we won't have any more chances? We win this year or else I stop cheering for the Packers? No.

Totally agree. I feel that this is a great position to be in. We expect the Packers to win (or at least contend for) the Super Bowl for the next couple of years. Anything else but a SB victory will be a disappointment. While this is a bit of pressure, I'd rather be in this position than a hopeful "I think we might be able to sneak into the playoffs this year"!

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with what is said here. But,if Rodgers gets hurt,what happens then??? We do not have a back up that has played any games,do we? I just wonder what would they do....

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with what is said here. But,if Rodgers gets hurt,what happens then??? We do not have a back up that has played any games,do we? I just wonder what would they do....
Next man up. You won't know until it happens. We also don't have comparable backups to CM3 and J-mike either let alone half the O-line. Adjust the play to what you got. Maybe go with a ****-n-dunk offense and depend on YAC for the big play. Maybe stop pass blocking and concentrate on the run game and play action. Definitely need the 2010 defense to show up not last years. I'd still expect the playoffs at least no matter when it occurred.

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beyond two years, who knows what will happen. Thompson will either keep the potency stocked or he won't. The only thing we do know is Rodgers will be around and he will soak up a much bigger salary, about two blue-chip salaries at least. That will push the net talent down. So it would behoove the team to crack off another championship before that constricting reality descends. I don't begrudge it, it's the simple reality of where the Packers were when Favre was making 14% of the salary base a few years back. Favre was broken into Rodgers and Matthews and probably Finley.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Beyond two years, who knows what will happen. Thompson will either keep the potency stocked or he won't. The only thing we do know is Rodgers will be around and he will soak up a much bigger salary, about two blue-chip salaries at least. That will push the net talent down. So it would behoove the team to crack off another championship before that constricting reality descends. I don't begrudge it, it's the simple reality of where the Packers were when Favre was making 14% of the salary base a few years back. Favre was broken into Rodgers and Matthews and probably Finley.
Yep, that's my concern as well toolkien. It might cost more later to renew Rodgers but the cap will likely be higher too. I'd love to hear from those cap managers how they expect it all to work. I believe the best cap managers are an integral cog in the wheel for keeping teams competitive. That's why I love how the Packer work, they resign their own free agents, they know exactly what they have. If Scott Wells wasn't worth what another team was willing to pay then it's over.
I still don't think Jenkins was a complete loss, I'd love for someone to dredge up posters thoughts on in him FA back then. He was often hurt and looking for more money. Do you know for sure if he'd have taken the same money he did with the Eagles to stay here? Tough business.
The sad fact is that you need a franchise QB like Aaron Rodgers to have a chance. So you roll the dice and hope the other pieces fall into place. My opinion is that if you extend him now it's catastrophic to the cap plan at those numbers, might as well wait a year or two and see what ya got! Do you pay 100 mil now or wait a year or two and deal with it then? If you close the deals on Raji, Matthews and Jennings then you at least know what you got left over.
Let's face it, we're going to lose a premier player in the next couple of years.
I just want to throw this one item out there. Aaron Rodgers has always wanted to play in San Fran right? I know, I take it back, don't think about it.

passtheSALSA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers,9ers and Giants will be the class of the NFC for years to come. All three organizations have solid FO's and draft extremely well.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
With both Rodgers for the Packers and Manning at the helm for the Giants, those teams could meet more than once for the NFC playoffs/title games. Would not be surprising.

Members online

Latest posts