Moving on to 2016

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am posting this because this year is over. This team has no drive or passion to beat the Panthers or the Cardinals.
The Packers need to hit the free agent market and sign 3 guys to make this offense better. The first 2 moves are to help you and hurt the Seahawks. Sign LT Russell Okung and WR Jermaine Kearse. Then sign TE Ben Watson. Move Baktiari to RT, the line is instantly better. kearse is an excellent #2 or 3receiver. Ben Watson has had a great year with the Saints. RR is not a #1 TE.
On defense we need a better #1 CB, Shields can't stay on the field.

Sky King

Reaction score
While I fully understand your lack of optimism based upon the mediocre play and litany of injuries at key times and to key positions, might I point out that it is now 2016. Regardless of the technicality of year, I won't quit on this team anymore than I want them to quit on themselves. It's not yet over.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another fan treating a real team like a Madden team. Should just have one big thread for these.

OP
OP
aristotle

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I fully understand your lack of optimism based upon the mediocre play and litany of injuries at key times and to key positions, might I point out that it is now 2016. Regardless of the technicality of year, I won't quit on this team anymore than I want them to quit on themselves. It's not yet over.
I too will be hoping they prove me wrong this year. But, what do you think of my ideas for free agents?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10 million dollar LT, a #1 CB, move an inferior OT to RT to take over for Bulaga who is a superior player, a receiver we don't need, and a TE who's having a career year at 35 years old and is only going to go downhill. I mean... c'mon man.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am posting this because this year is over. This team has no drive or passion to beat the Panthers or the Cardinals.
The Packers need to hit the free agent market and sign 3 guys to make this offense better. The first 2 moves are to help you and hurt the Seahawks. Sign LT Russell Okung and WR Jermaine Kearse. Then sign TE Ben Watson. Move Baktiari to RT, the line is instantly better. kearse is an excellent #2 or 3receiver. Ben Watson has had a great year with the Saints. RR is not a #1 TE.

I'm not optimistic about the Packers chances to make it to the Super Bowl either but with them having clinched a playoff spot there's no reason to quit on the team as it's possible they will get hot at the right time. It's unlikely because of the way the offense has played since week 4, but there's no doubt in my mind the talent is there to make a run.

I wouldn't like Thompson to even consider one of the free agents you suggested.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Must have never heard of the salary cap.

Also, players actually have to become FAs first and then agree to sign with the Packers. They can't just sign whoever they want unless they throw out way too much money.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also, players actually have to become FAs first and then agree to sign with the Packers. They can't just sign whoever they want unless they throw out way too much money.

The players he named may not be the ones anybody wants, but (1) he didn't mention a salary number and (2) they are all UFAs in 2016. At least bang on him for the things he actually says.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The players he named may not be the ones anybody wants, but (1) he didn't mention a salary number and (2) they are all UFAs in 2016. At least bang on him for the things he actually says.

1) He completely ignored the cap. That's the point.

2) They still have months to sign with their current team.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don't we have some UFAs at the end of the season that are unlikely to stick around? It wouldn't hurt to get some veterans at our positions of need.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all in favor of bringing in free agents to try to improve the Packers, but not outrageously high priced free agents or aged free agents.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We definitely need to bring in a WR and a TE in FA. Give our QB some weapons!!!!!

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We definitely need to bring in a WR and a TE in FA. Give our QB some weapons!!!!!
Yeah, these analysts can say all they want, but if every DC is saying they can stop the passing game because the receivers lack speed, and they are backing that up by shutdown performances with man coverage, there has to be some truth to it.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't we have some UFAs at the end of the season that are unlikely to stick around? It wouldn't hurt to get some veterans at our positions of need.

I agree some free agents could help.

Moving on from the RT we just paid a lot and paying two corners as numbers 1's isn't the way to go about it though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Numbers-wise, quite a few. Importance, not so much.

Michael Neal OLB 28 GB TBD $4,250,000 UFA
Mason Crosby K 31 GB TBD $3,550,000 UFA
Sean Richardson SS 25 GB TBD $2,550,000 UFA
Letroy Guion DE 28 GB TBD $2,485,294 UFA
Nick Perry OLB 25 GB TBD $2,386,125 UFA
James Starks RB 29 GB TBD $1,837,500 UFA
B.J. Raji DT 29 GB TBD $1,750,000 UFA
Don Barclay RT 26 GB TBD $1,542,000 UFA
Scott Tolzien QB 28 GB TBD $1,200,000 UFA
Casey Hayward CB 26 GB TBD $1,053,154 UFA
Jamon Meredith RT 29 GB TBD $745,000 UFA
John Kuhn FB 33 GB TBD $635,000 UFA
James Jones WR 31 GB TBD $585,000 UFA

Note: Thought I'd leave Meredith in there, just to show that not everything you read on the Internet is true. Sportrac is normally spot on, but this comes from them.

Sky King

Reaction score
I too will be hoping they prove me wrong this year. But, what do you think of my ideas for free agents?
I would prefer to address the specifics of that after the season is over. While I am one of the posters who would like to see TT dabble a little more into free-agency than he has, this season's story is not yet finished and the team's needs could still change. With all due respects, I'll put that on hold for a bit longer.

My primary concern is more with how the coaching staff is structured on offense rather than with the sub-par performances of certain players, including Rodgers. Even he seems off this season. My theory is that the offensive coaching structure has as much or more to do with the struggling offense as any other contributing factor. I want to see what MM does to correct that situation after this season concludes. Maybe he can still pull a rabbit out of his hat, maybe as soon as today. I'm not sure he can do it but I remain hopeful.

Jason Comp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10 million dollar LT, a #1 CB, move an inferior OT to RT to take over for Bulaga who is a superior player, a receiver we don't need, and a TE who's having a career year at 35 years old and is only going to go downhill. I mean... c'mon man.
Totally agree. Watson has overachieved in NO, Shields will soon be a slot/Nickel guy with the youth we have at corner and we'll never get Okung because TT won't pay for him. Kearse is interesting but we don't truly know what we have in Montgomery yet and Kearse will want to be paid.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
If this year is a Flop should a management and coaching staff be taken into consideration? this has been a 5 year plan,w/o success of reaching the SB..

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Numbers-wise, quite a few. Importance, not so much.

Michael Neal OLB 28 GB TBD $4,250,000 UFA
Mason Crosby K 31 GB TBD $3,550,000 UFA
Sean Richardson SS 25 GB TBD $2,550,000 UFA
Letroy Guion DE 28 GB TBD $2,485,294 UFA
Nick Perry OLB 25 GB TBD $2,386,125 UFA
James Starks RB 29 GB TBD $1,837,500 UFA
B.J. Raji DT 29 GB TBD $1,750,000 UFA
Don Barclay RT 26 GB TBD $1,542,000 UFA
Scott Tolzien QB 28 GB TBD $1,200,000 UFA
Casey Hayward CB 26 GB TBD $1,053,154 UFA
Jamon Meredith RT 29 GB TBD $745,000 UFA
John Kuhn FB 33 GB TBD $635,000 UFA
James Jones WR 31 GB TBD $585,000 UFA

Note: Thought I'd leave Meredith in there, just to show that not everything you read on the Internet is true. Sportrac is normally spot on, but this comes from them.

Yup...our Rookie DBs drafted this past year has made saying goodbye to Hayward rather easy for the staff and I expect it. My guess is we keep Tolzien for a short good to us contract....similar to one of either Banjo/Richardson....

Crosby I think may be back, again good for us contract or he'll be gone.

To me Barclay is the one on the list I don't want to see leave if I had to pick just ONE player here. He is versatile, and serviceable and young. Pinch came and he had to start we could do far less.

Otherwise guys I'd like to see us keep for the right price obviously JJ, he has chemistry with Aaron and that alone makes him if nothing else the best #2/#3/#4 option wherever he washes out at.

Neal/Raji/Perry I like but gotta be at the right price or I can say bye to them personally....at least with Neal I don't see a friendly deal happening so he'll be gone.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also to those stating we need more weapons offensively....we still are talented but add back in Jordy and Montgomery who showed serious flashes and the WR corps could look like this next year Jordy, Cobb, Jones, Adams, Montgomery, Abb/Janis..........um.....think that is solid enough. TE, Rodgers trusts Quarless and he seems to come through...he is also growing a like and trust for the other Rogers.....I'm all for always drafting possible athletic big TEs though but still we are good I think.

RB is where it all depends on what staff thinks we got....Lacy is overweight...which is fine so long as Starks or any #2 can hold on to the ball (Starks can't). So is our #3 ready to overtake or do we need to draft or acquire such a player in FA....we shall see.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You are exactly right! You can take TT's place. We were forced to draft defensive players last year due to free agency losses. This left a void in our offense. RR is a slow turtle and can only catch a ball if he's turned to it with nobody on him. If we don't make these moves ARod's life span is in jeopardy. You cannot fix this through the draft or it would take 4 years.

Members online

Latest posts