Moving on to 2016

OP
OP
aristotle

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you Milani, and after last night, this team needs a top notch LT more than ever. Yes Okung is a $10 mil guy, but he is worth it. Kearse and Watson are not big money FA's and are much better than the packers #3 receiver or any or the TE's.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you Milani, and after last night, this team needs a top notch LT more than ever. Yes Okung is a $10 mil guy, but he is worth it. Kearse and Watson are not big money FA's and are much better than the packers #3 receiver or any or the TE's.

Um.....we have injuries along the OL....if all starting 5 are healthy they are arguably one of the best units. I get desiring us to add...but we could spend money much wiser than on Okung.

Why does everyone hate on Richard Rogers so much? He is big, good blocker and has shown some impressive hands...he isn't your oober athletic style or monsterous Gronk style but solid and Arod is looking to him more and more which is a good sign. I agree for the right price I wouldn't shy away from a TE, but big money isn't worth it. YES, Watson is not a cheap FA.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think we need to hit the FA quite strongly this season. For me, the positions I'd like to tackle are obviously:

1) ILB. I still prefer Clay on the outside. If we do get a good playmaking ILB it'll lift out D many times over.
2) Left Tackle - With Bakhtiari injured we've shown how fragile our O-line is. Barclay was crap and Sitton as stop gap wasn't any better. I'd go for someone with a bit of versatility here.
3) Corner - Nothing much has changed and I'd still prefer to competition to Shields better than the rookies we have.

not really a priority, but if we get someone good and not that expensive then,

4) TE - Someone more dynamic than RR.

Probably for a deep threat WR as #1 pick to understudy under Nelson.

OP
OP
aristotle

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um.....we have injuries along the OL....if all starting 5 are healthy they are arguably one of the best units. I get desiring us to add...but we could spend money much wiser than on Okung.

Why does everyone hate on Richard Rogers so much? He is big, good blocker and has shown some impressive hands...he isn't your oober athletic style or monsterous Gronk style but solid and Arod is looking to him more and more which is a good sign. I agree for the right price I wouldn't shy away from a TE, but big money isn't worth it. YES, Watson is not a cheap FA.
If you add Okung at LT and move Baktiari to RT aren't you immediately better? Bak is not a top notch LT and Okung is.
RR is a #2 TE at best. This offense needs a safety net TE like Chmura used to be for Favre. The offense would be better with 2 TE sets, which would help for blocking as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you add Okung at LT and move Baktiari to RT aren't you immediately better? Bak is not a top notch LT and Okung is.
RR is a #2 TE at best. This offense needs a safety net TE like Chmura used to be for Favre. The offense would be better with 2 TE sets, which would help for blocking as well.

If you want 2 TE sets sure, but that means we wasted money on Cobb or should let someone like Nelson move on. We are a 3 if not 4 wide offense setup currently.

Sure Okung would make line better but you are eating a TON of money if you don't play Bulaga...who is still a solid tackle as is Bahk (gotta remember he is VERY young still).

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think we need to hit the FA quite strongly this season. For me, the positions I'd like to tackle are obviously:

1) ILB. I still prefer Clay on the outside. If we do get a good playmaking ILB it'll lift out D many times over.
2) Left Tackle - With Bakhtiari injured we've shown how fragile our O-line is. Barclay was crap and Sitton as stop gap wasn't any better. I'd go for someone with a bit of versatility here.
3) Corner - Nothing much has changed and I'd still prefer to competition to Shields better than the rookies we have.

not really a priority, but if we get someone good and not that expensive then,

4) TE - Someone more dynamic than RR.

Probably for a deep threat WR as #1 pick to understudy under Nelson.

Corner is not a concern at all. It's a position of strength with Shields a solid top guy and two good rookies who should only improve.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With the contract Bulaga just signed, he isn't going to be put on the bench.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think a lot of folks would argue with that. If so, you now have a slow receiver who can't use his impressive hands because he can't get open, and he isn't very good at staying in to block. That would explain the hate - probably along with third round choice used to get him.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want 2 TE sets sure, but that means we wasted money on Cobb or should let someone like Nelson move on. We are a 3 if not 4 wide offense setup currently.

Sure Okung would make line better but you are eating a TON of money if you don't play Bulaga...who is still a solid tackle as is Bahk (gotta remember he is VERY young still).
Letting Nelson go would be a bad decision, as was signing Cobb to a big money deal.

Reaction score
I think a lot of folks would argue with that. If so, you now have a slow receiver who can't use his impressive hands because he can't get open, and he isn't very good at staying in to block. That would explain the hate - probably along with third round choice used to get him.
I think what Richard Rodgers lacks in speed he makes up for with durability and ability to catch. Admittedly he is slow after the catch though

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what Richard Rodgers lacks in speed he makes up for with durability and ability to catch. Admittedly he is slow after the catch though
He has great hands, but his mobility is terrible. Defenders can stick to him like glue. I don't think his hands make up for it because it takes away many of his opportunities to contribute.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Why does everyone hate on Richard Rogers so much? He is big, good blocker and has shown some impressive hands...
He's big and has very good hands but he is not a good blocker. He finally broke a tackle last night and that's the first one I can remember him breaking. Ordinarily good receiving TEs don't block well and good blocking TEs don't add much in the passing game. Unfortunately RR doesn't block well and he's not much of a receiving or YAC threat. That's why 'everyone is hating' on him.

Reaction score
I think FA is an adequate tool to be used if you can pick up a player at a moderate cost and with a recent proven track record at position that needs immediate attention (Letroy Guion from MN fit that role)

I'd like to see us address Left Tackle and/or a good blocking dynamic yards after the catch TE as competition for Baktiari and Richard Rodgers. plus, you can't have too much depth on the line.
Then we can address competition for Right Tackle as a late 2nd day or early 3rd day draft option and go after other positional needs through the draft
my first 2 concerns are OT (both sides for depth) and TE. Then I'd be looking for ILB, WR and DT and a running back that is a hybrid WR/RB. They use Cobb for this position but I think he's too light(Montgomery is the closest fit but I don't wanna stretch him too thin with his other ST duties)

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think FA is an adequate tool to be used if you can pick up a player at a moderate cost and with a recent proven track record at position that needs immediate attention (Letroy Guion from MN fit that role)

I'd like to see us address Left Tackle and/or a good blocking dynamic yards after the catch TE as competition for Baktiari and Richard Rodgers. plus, you can't have too much depth on the line.
Then we can address competition for Right Tackle as a late 2nd day or early 3rd day draft option and go after other positional needs through the draft
my first 2 concerns are OT (both sides for depth) and TE. Then I'd be looking for ILB, WR and DT and a running back that is a hybrid WR/RB. They use Cobb for this position but I think he's too light(Montgomery is the closest fit but I don't wanna stretch him too thin with his other ST duties)
You'd really have to think our biggest positions of need are depth on the line and receiver. You see what a couple of injuries to both has done to this team.

OP
OP
aristotle

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cobb would be your slot guy, aka the Patriots when they had Gronk, Hernandez, Welker. and Moss.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I will never argue he is a full blown legit #1 TE....but for where we got him and what we expected I'm good with him. I fully expect us to keep our eye on TEs in FA and also the draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting Nelson go would be a bad decision, as was signing Cobb to a big money deal.

You didn't read what I wrote fully...or atleast misunderstood. In my opinion if one wants to go to 2 TE sets as our primary attack then having big time WRs isn't worth it, one sure, but we gonna dump and duck to TE and pound you....that isn't us. I would never want to get rid of Nelson myself, but I was running with the thought presented by Aristotle.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This offseason will be an interesting one to say the least. I don't think that TT can "stay the course" with the status quo system in place and get away with it, at least for this offseason headed into the 2016 season. I think he needs to do a few things that we don't normally do, and that is sign a FA or two on the offensive side of the ball and be aggressive in the draft and get the guys they really want and not just settle for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th tier guys on their draft chart. Rodgers is still young, but that window is closing. Its time to replenish some talent around him. I'd like for our franchise to win one more Super Bowl during the Rodgers era and its more than possible. But we need to keep talent around Rodgers. He can't be the one-man show out there. He needs WR's and TE's that can get open and go get the ball when the throw isn't always perfect. This season proved it.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb would be your slot guy, aka the Patriots when they had Gronk, Hernandez, Welker. and Moss.

Sadly Cobb shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Welker... One of the most dynamic slot receivers of his time. With and without Moss. Put up 110 plus catches in 5 our of 6 years. People knew they were going to him and couldn't stop him. Same can not be said for Cobb. He's adequate at best right now. He was out gained by good ole JJ, who doesn't nearly have his speed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This offseason will be an interesting one to say the least. I don't think that TT can "stay the course" with the status quo system in place and get away with it, at least for this offseason headed into the 2016 season. I think he needs to do a few things that we don't normally do, and that is sign a FA or two on the offensive side of the ball and be aggressive in the draft and get the guys they really want and not just settle for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th tier guys on their draft chart. Rodgers is still young, but that window is closing. Its time to replenish some talent around him. I'd like for our franchise to win one more Super Bowl during the Rodgers era and its more than possible. But we need to keep talent around Rodgers. He can't be the one-man show out there. He needs WR's and TE's that can get open and go get the ball when the throw isn't always perfect. This season proved it.

So you liking a draft like when we went up to get Clay...that is kinda how I see this draft being...or atleast is what I hope they do.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly Cobb shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Welker... One of the most dynamic slot receivers of his time. With and without Moss. Put up 110 plus catches in 5 our of 6 years. People knew they were going to him and couldn't stop him. Same can not be said for Cobb. He's adequate at best right now. He was out gained by good ole JJ, who doesn't nearly have his speed.

Cobb is good if you have other WRs threatening deep...making his crossing routes not have to be crisp to be deadly (I don't think we have a elite route runner on the team).

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really hoping for a bounce back year from Cobb next season. It's clear he's pressing and in his own head. Sucks to see. We know how good he can be.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts