MM is just about on the hot seat

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About last game, I'll make it quick:
MM had an absolutely BRILLIANT 1st half. If he called and coached like that every time, no doubt we would win 95% of our games. It was perfect.

MM had a good 3rd quarter. It wasn't brilliant, but I can't point any major flaw in it.

MM had a DISASTROUS 4th quarter. What the hell was that 2 minute drill? He called for a freaking spike on 4th down! And Matt Flynn thought he had a timeout! MM had used a timeout on D, and on a first down waited 10+ seconds to use a timeout. It was THE poorest display of clock management I've ever seen.

All in all, IN THIS GAME, I can't point the blame on MM, even with the final drive. The gameplan and the playcalling were trully great, he outcoached Bellichick for most of the game, and if the receivers don't don't drop 50 balls, if the secondary makes those EASY *** interceptions, if Slocum had been fired like he was supposed to (okay, this kind of is MM's fault), we win the game.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a lesser coach we wouldn't even be close enough to even smell the playoffs with all the injuries. And it's really amazing how good everyone is at hindsight. If the 4th & 1 @det had worked out everyone would have been saying MM was a genius & Flynn was a magician. Same thing with the onside kick in this game. If it worked he's a genius, if it hadn't everyone would be whining bad call. Myself, I'm amazed that the Pack came close to winning against a #1 team and QB with a backup QB. But then I don't expect perfection at all times. The only thing I expect is to win against the Giants and Chicago. Of course then none of you will give MM any of the credit.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
MM GETS 1 MORE YEAR. Can't really fire him after this season its not good timing, with all the injuries you cant blame everything on him. Starting next year with a new coach would be a step in the wrong direction. However if next year, we aren't dominating the NFC north, he must be fired i don't care if the whole team gets injured. Expectation next year = superbowl victory period end of story, anything less is a failure.

Or if he doesnt fire shawn slocum, than I will see him as a complete buffoon who is unable to lead a team. I think he calls pretty good games(he is ballsy with onside kicks,and some deep passes which is good), and he preps QB's better than anyone else in the league. But his clock management is bad, sometimes laughable, and his picking of assistant coaches is questionable. And I'd have to say Capers saved his job last year. If he lets capers go well, I wont be happy lets leave it at that.

missinghoagies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In some ways I am a huge fan of MM...first the good, development of young talent especially at the most important position on the field-QB, clearly the guy knows what he is doing and gets the job done with Flynn being the latest and most convincing evidence of this...let's remember MM never gets the credit for getting a hold of the out of control Diva QB when he first arrived to GB and helped him to return to MVP caliber play so in a way he has developed 3 solid QBs who can lead an NFL team(might be jumping the gun on Flynn but oh well), 2nd he makes no excuses and I think that has helped to create an atmosphere of accountability which has helped to instill high standards which has led to more success then failure...3rd solid playcaller and can be a bit of a gambler...

Okay the bad stuff: 1st lack of consistent emphasis on special teams sorry it has been an on going issue throughout his tenure as HC and it has never been fixed...2nd lack of emphasis on running game, to me the running game is a mindset...he is like Reid in Philly, they love the pass all over the place...just not in his DNA to spend more time on the running game...3rd short yardage playcalling and red zone play calling/design, ties in with lack of emphasis on running game see 1st and goal at the 2 to go up 10 last night, 2 fb dives later and a predictable roll out right and they are kicking a FG to go up 6, lost by four...difference in game...4th his willingness to keep Crosby around...he will surely cost the Pack a playoff loss when he misses a last 2nd FG...also that was a horrible squib kick last night...and finally 5th lack of game management, poor clock management, poor use of replay reviews etc...it cost the Pack 2/3 games every year in his tenure...

Having said all this to me in part b/c of what Flynn did last night you have to stick with him(Guys who can develop QBs do not grow on trees, just ask San Fran)...so hopefully he will eventually learn how to win big games through better game management(last night once again could have used a TO to save time for his offense right before NE made it 17-14, could have had the ball back with something like 1:45 left and a TO left, of course since Kick return is average against quality teams field position was not great) and greater emphasis on special teams/running game or we will be stuck with a much leaner version of Andy Reid..alot of success but lots of unexpected disappointment(s)

missinghoagies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a lesser coach we wouldn't even be close enough to even smell the playoffs with all the injuries. And it's really amazing how good everyone is at hindsight. If the 4th & 1 @det had worked out everyone would have been saying MM was a genius & Flynn was a magician. Same thing with the onside kick in this game. If it worked he's a genius, if it hadn't everyone would be whining bad call. Myself, I'm amazed that the Pack came close to winning against a #1 team and QB with a backup QB. But then I don't expect perfection at all times. The only thing I expect is to win against the Giants and Chicago. Of course then none of you will give MM any of the credit.

I hate the idiots who blame MM for the 4 and 1 throw in Det., it was Flynn's decision, it was not like they went Max Protect and only had 2 guys in the routes, there were other options...Flynn made the right decision vs press man to man coverage(and that is a credit to MM), just needed to excute it better and give his WR a chance to make a play...people who question that call/decision simply do not know football, I would rather see that call/decision then FB dive:)

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if the Packers finish 8-8 after every "expert" picked them to lose to the Super Bowl, MM keeps his job? I think he does, actually, whether I like it or not. This could end up being a very disappointing season, but it might take one more for MM to go.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
This "infancy" is now in year 3. Its the same as year one. All of the things you mentioned would be acceptable in year one or 2. Year 3, and now we are injury plagued. Again. Still losing close games, many we should have won, again.

At a certain point its no longer bad luck my friend....

its a trend.
This "infancy" had to have a birth right? So do you expect that infant to walk it's first year? talk it's second and pottie the third?
If I didn't have alot of history as a fan I might agree with you. Lots of fans have a "now" attitude. I remember when everyone wanted TT's head. Now that we know he's drafting quality backups who we can win with it's not his fault, now it's MM's fault.
Look dtown, Belichick sucked in Cleveland right? Don't you think experience as a head coach matters? I mean he was a rookie his first year right? Rodgers didn't have to take but a few snaps his first 3 years and look how he turned out.
Look how Belichick turned out.
Sorry, but if you can't see how these two have changed the fortunes of the Green Bay Packers you'll have to do some more research. EVERYBODY knew it would be a diffucult time after Bernt, but lo and behold we're pretty gosh-darned good.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So if the Packers finish 8-8 after every "expert" picked them to lose to the Super Bowl, MM keeps his job? I think he does, actually, whether I like it or not. This could end up being a very disappointing season, but it might take one more for MM to go.

Well people around here think having injuries is an excuse to coach bad, so he'll probably have his job regardless.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
How can you be proud of this loss? McCarthy and the boys keep finding a way to lose. How Shawn Slocum still has a job is beyond me. That Guard running that ball on that kickoff and the Packer players actually avoiding trying to tackle him as they stick their arms out or just run along side him was the most pathetic thing I've seen. Not too far behind was the failure of any one on the offense making an effort to tackle that DB on the interception. This team is soft,especially the offense and special teams, and is a reflection of MM, Slocum, and Philben. They need to hit the road. Capers is a stud, and the Defense keeps doing their jobs. The one positive was that the Packers now know they have a servicable QB. Winners find ways to win; losers find ways to lose. The last two weeks we know what these guys are and they DESERVE to be watching the playoffs at home and stewing in their ineptitude.
Which players "avoided" hitting him? I didn't see one. Go watch a replay. Peprah went for the strip, if he gets it he's a hero.So they shouldn't have their arms out to get him? What do you suggest? Rocket skates?
On soft offensive tackling, it's not like they practice tackling alot on the offense, they're supposed to be heading to the endzone.
And by the way, this is the year you shouldn't be talking about DESERVE. The NFC West is pathetic, any team outside of that division that makes this playoff has darned well earned it.
Here's my best part of your post "winners find a way to win; losers find ways to lose" *****. Did you write that? Well we're in agreement on that one champ, the Packers have a winning record.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries have hit the defense as hard as the offense, but Capers has been magnificent in adjusting.

There have been no injuries to speak of on the offensive line, but they remain the main weakness on the team.

If the Pack winds up 8 and 8 I think we will see major coaching changes. Offensive line, offensive coordinator, special teams. MM will agree to have a true offensive coordinator to call the plays. If he doesn't agree to the above, it's likely a new HC will be brought in.

I believe TT is totally committed to bringing a Championship to Green Bay, and will insist on these changes if we miss the playoffs.

TampaPacMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been a massively disappointing season by any standard. Slocum should have been fired after last season, how he continues to remain employed defies belief. This is a team that is incapable of winning close games. I have no doubts that the Giants game will be close, and I have no doubts that the Packers will find a way to lose!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been a massively disappointing season by any standard. Slocum should have been fired after last season, how he continues to remain employed defies belief. This is a team that is incapable of winning close games. I have no doubts that the Giants game will be close, and I have no doubts that the Packers will find a way to lose!

why so negative? werent you in the "flynn sucks pats will kill us" group?

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lighten up there Frances

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wrong!! They lost to one of the best teams in the nfl by 4 points with their backup QB. In my small mind, it proves that they are capable of beating the Giants with one hand tied behind their backs. 31-17 Packers.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the world will end if the Packers don't win the Superbowl too. Do you have advice aaronqb?
Good stuff!

The quote is from "Stripes". It's Sgt Hulka's line to the dude (Frances aka Psycho) that goes off on the other soldiers in his troop.

I agree with you. There are a few that live or die with this stuff. It's great entertainment and a nice diversion, but not a matter of national security.

Like the other Packer fans on this board, it would be nice if the Packers didn't have all the injuries and got a few more breaks and wins. But, this is what makes football so much fun to follow.

The good news ... the Packers should contend for Super Bowls for the next 10 years. We should have a few years where things go our way.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not being a "debbie downer", I'm just being realistic. With Flynn at quarterback the Packers have about as much chance of winning in New England, as I do of winning the lottery. Next week they host a Giants team that's battling for a division title, and they close against a Bears team that will have already clinched the division title, and may rest some starters, so the Packers have a chance of winning that game. 9-7 in a year in which many of us felt the team had super bowl potential. I've been an avid follower of this team for forty-five years, and with the exception of the 1983 season, I can't think of a year that's been more of such an emotional roller coaster.

So you go out and buy your lotto ticket?

Why is it, people forget bout injuries?

I think 14 on IR now..

There are ELEVEN on each side...We lost one whole side of starters plus 3 of their back ups....But yeah injuries arent an excuse

:eek:k:

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you go out and buy your lotto ticket?

Why is it, people forget bout injuries?

I think 14 on IR now..

There are ELEVEN on each side...We lost one whole side of starters plus 3 of their back ups....But yeah injuries arent an excuse

:eek:k:

Lots of injuries

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The number of injuries is real bad, but the thing that makes it worse is the quality of people that were injured. Injuries to guys like Rodgers, Finley, Grant, etc are what makes it so bad. If you look at McGinn's list of the the most important Packers. 4 of the top 6 (Rodgers, Finley, Jenkins, Collins) were OUT in the second half of the Patriot game; the other 2 were playing injured (Matthews and Woodson). The fact that this team is even competitive is a tribute to the job that Thompson is doing in acquiring talent and to McCarthy for assimilating the new guys and coaching them up.

Nahhhhhh

The team should be 12-0 dontcha know

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No kidding! If the O-line comes around, we will kill the Giants. As opposed to just beating them if they don't.

TampaPacMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you don't understand the difference between being optimistic, and being delusional. It's obvious to any objective observer that this team can't win close games. In the NFL the difference between winning and losing is a narrow margin. The championship caliber teams find a way to win close games, and the non-contenders find a way to lose them. There are no moral victories in the NFL, only victories and defeats.

Members online

Latest posts