MM is just about on the hot seat

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Honestly, The only thing I am happy about is that this was a throw away game.

Our players played their hearts out, but again when it counted, it wasnt enough. Losing to the Lions and losing to the Pats by the same stretch is solely on the COACH. The players obviously have the talent. they have the heart. The coaches have the talent and also the heart, which was apparent tonite. What they lack all around is the disipline to win a game when their nuts are out. When it is on the line. We have not won a single game that was against an even mediocre opponent when the game was on the line.

That last series, with the wasted timeouts, with the confusion on the final play just showed it in Prime-time. Say what you will about an inexperienced QB out there, but I saw 11 guys with no timeouts and precious seconds ticking off, all going back to a huddle. NOT one veteran player knew the gravity of the situation.

That is lack of discipline highlighted to its most finite of degrees.

That rests solely on coaching.

MM has shown he cannot coach up. His best he can put forward is coaching to an opponents degree, never past it.

Its was a great plan tonight that came up short. It was a horrible plan against the likes of WAS, DET (both win and loss) BUF, the Bears, the Falcons, etc. etc. etc.

Whenever I look at MM, I see a coach who has overachieved to the point of parody. You dont continue to suffer close game losses over the entire period of being a head coach by accident. I am sure MM will continue to, if he is allowed, give us years similar to this one and last.

Always on the brink. Think about other coaches who have done this in the modern era, with TALENTED teams around them:

Dennis Green
Dave Weihnstat
Mike Tice
Andy Reid
Wade Phillips
Marty Schottenheimer
Norv Turner
etc...

That can be seen in every game he coaches.

I have zero faith that he can coach a team PAST any opponent he faces, to take a team to a level that SURPASSES their ability.

That is what GREAT coaches do.

I think he has brought this team as far as he can. Injuries and other things non exempt. He isnt the guy to do it.

I am sure I will hear about how well he coached this game, but again, the decision he has made throughout the tenure he has here cost us again. Anything under a microscope will be overexamined, but his clutch games, with now 3 QBs, 1 a 1st ballot HOFer, 1 a rising, if not already star in the NFL, and the last a player that several NFL team scouts are saying they would trade a 1st round pick for, as he is a QB of the future ala Phillip Rivers, and NO CLOSE GAME WINS when trailing in the fourth quarter.

This is now 4 seasons running.

Im sorry, but Mike will never return our trophy to us.
It will never cease to amaze me that people consider a failed play the coaches fault, you know where they called long on a 4th and 1.
I want to be clear, does everyone here understand that on any given play the QB has several options for the pass? The plays are designed to give him multiple options, that's why offenses like GBs are so prolific, we have alot of weapons.
Does anybody at all think they call for a long ball down the si9delines to a given receiver?
Seriously, I'm a bit confused sometimes about people's understanding of the game and calling out the coaches. If they don't run enough it's bad play calling, if they run when it's not productive it's bad play calling.
Look, even if the run game is not productive, you have to do it to make the threat to the "D". Look at other teams forums to see what they think of our run game. So you have to at least threaten it to do play action don't you? Further, if your run game is poor, all the more reason for them to overpursue it and leave short passes underneath open.
Before naysayers jump on McCarthy and his staff for not winning the close ones, consider that it's entirely possible they win them all and then you'd be singing their praises. It's not poor coaching when you're in it against good teams, it's not poor coaching when you loose to middling teams, it's "parity" and it's the NFL's way of keeping us watching.
Without injuries, you either don't know or you should know, Green Bay is in the infancy of a dynasty when dynasties are not the norm.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will never cease to amaze me that people consider a failed play the coaches fault, you know where they called long on a 4th and 1.
I want to be clear, does everyone here understand that on any given play the QB has several options for the pass? The plays are designed to give him multiple options, that's why offenses like GBs are so prolific, we have alot of weapons.
Does anybody at all think they call for a long ball down the si9delines to a given receiver?
Seriously, I'm a bit confused sometimes about people's understanding of the game and calling out the coaches. If they don't run enough it's bad play calling, if they run when it's not productive it's bad play calling.
Look, even if the run game is not productive, you have to do it to make the threat to the "D". Look at other teams forums to see what they think of our run game. So you have to at least threaten it to do play action don't you? Further, if your run game is poor, all the more reason for them to overpursue it and leave short passes underneath open.
Before naysayers jump on McCarthy and his staff for not winning the close ones, consider that it's entirely possible they win them all and then you'd be singing their praises. It's not poor coaching when you're in it against good teams, it's not poor coaching when you loose to middling teams, it's "parity" and it's the NFL's way of keeping us watching.
Without injuries, you either don't know or you should know, Green Bay is in the infancy of a dynasty when dynasties are not the norm.

This "infancy" is now in year 3. Its the same as year one. All of the things you mentioned would be acceptable in year one or 2. Year 3, and now we are injury plagued. Again. Still losing close games, many we should have won, again.

At a certain point its no longer bad luck my friend....

its a trend.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said!

It's also not poor coaching when you go to the home field of the best team in the NFL with a second string QB and give them one hell of a run for their money.

Which counts for......

WAIT FOR IT!!!!!!

NOTHING.

CLose dont count. If it did, MM would be an all world HC. But he is not.

Lots of coaches get close all the time.

Playing that card of being close counts for nothing. Dont get it?

Ask yourself what you would be cursing at your TV if you hear MM just say this EXACT thing in his post game conference....
"...Well, you know...It's not poor coaching when you go to the home field of the best team in the NFL with a second string QB and give them one hell of a run for their money..."

Mike McCarthy Post game quote

Sounds different now, huh?

only problem is, this seems to be the mantra of our modern team

ghostsoflambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you be proud of this loss? McCarthy and the boys keep finding a way to lose. How Shawn Slocum still has a job is beyond me. That Guard running that ball on that kickoff and the Packer players actually avoiding trying to tackle him as they stick their arms out or just run along side him was the most pathetic thing I've seen. Not too far behind was the failure of any one on the offense making an effort to tackle that DB on the interception. This team is soft,especially the offense and special teams, and is a reflection of MM, Slocum, and Philben. They need to hit the road. Capers is a stud, and the Defense keeps doing their jobs. The one positive was that the Packers now know they have a servicable QB. Winners find ways to win; losers find ways to lose. The last two weeks we know what these guys are and they DESERVE to be watching the playoffs at home and stewing in their ineptitude.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's important to know something about the final play of the game. Yes, McCarthy should have been prepared either way, but in his presser he said he had no idea whether it was 4th down or 1st. That changes the playcall because if it's first, we spike the ball and gear up for an end zone push. 4th down we have to go for it since there's not enough time to get the first AND spike the ball.

Just sayin.

Not to discount what you are saying, but youre highlighting what I am saying...

A good coach wouldnt wait around to find out. He would assume it was 4th down and proceed as such.

Again it highlights MM shortcomings as a HC.

Hall of Fame QB- comes up short (at end of game)
Pro bowl QB- comes up short (at end of game)
1st start QB- comes up short (A.T. E.N.D. O.F. G.A.M.E.)

Every end of the spectrum at HIS SPECIALTY, which is supposed to be coaching QBs!!!

No more excuses. There are none left. Lets be smart and find a Coach who uses the same system and allow them a chance to become GREAT!!!
MM has had his shot. Its not over yet, but if he doesnt make the playoffs again, ITS OVER
Why do the kool-aid drinkers keep denying these facts?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Which counts for......

WAIT FOR IT!!!!!!

NOTHING.

CLose dont count. If it did, MM would be an all world HC. But he is not.

Lots of coaches get close all the time.

Playing that card of being close counts for nothing. Dont get it?

Ask yourself what you would be cursing at your TV if you hear MM just say this EXACT thing in his post game conference....
"...Well, you know...It's not poor coaching when you go to the home field of the best team in the NFL with a second string QB and give them one hell of a run for their money..."

Mike McCarthy Post game quote

Sounds different now, huh?

only problem is, this seems to be the mantra of our modern team
Ask the '07 Giants if getting close to beating, but ultimately losing to the Patriots counted for something. I think you'll find it did.

ghostsoflambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant imagine we would have this thread if we would have snuck out a win in Detroit...

Ummm, but we lost to Detroit. Lots of coaches wouldn't be fired if they'd won 1 more game or did one thing different. All teams deal with injuries. Fact is that was a must win game against a team that GB should have ripped. Also losses to sub-par Miami and Redskins teams. Plain and simple, McCarthy needs to go. I don't think this guy has what it takes to take the team all the way. His play calling and lack of ability to instill mental toughness in his team (close losses...fourth quarter/OT lapses) are his downfall. Green Bay can do much better...try to get Cowher working with Capers would be a DREAM.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Lol at "all teams deal with injuries". While true to an extent, I don't ever remember a team being this decimated by injuries and winning 10 games, which we might do.

If someone has an example that proves that wrong, go for it. But even if it has happened before, it hasn't happened often.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or when Brady went down

I waiting to see a post saying Bill was missing at least 10 starters and won games

Currently, the Patriots have 11 on IR, 1 suspended, and 5 more inactives, 4 of which didn't play at all yesterday and one of which was out after the first quarter. They were missing six defensive linemen, five defensive backs, and Brandon Spikes from their defense tonight.

That doesn't include overcoming Moss, Maroney, and Mankins while he was holding out.

Patriots are one of the most hurt teams in the league. Jaguars, Colts, Dolphins, Giants are also amongst the teams ******* the IR.

EDIT - That was much of the reason that the running game was getting easier tonight. Their DL is just depleted. The injuries have definitely hurt us, but the media is overhyping our injury scenario since they need an excuse as to why their Super Bowl pick isn't winning.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you mr Huffman,

this is a game that many think we are the only ones who are suffering these problems with. Crazy how a team like the PATRIOTS have almost a completely different roster this year from 6-8 years ago, yet they are STILL BEATING TEAMS badly....

It must be due to everything BUT the coaching....

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol at "all teams deal with injuries". While true to an extent, I don't ever remember a team being this decimated by injuries and winning 10 games, which we might do.

If someone has an example that proves that wrong, go for it. But even if it has happened before, it hasn't happened often.
Yeah and its not just the amount of injuries its who and where they are. Clay missed some games jenkings, Picket.
We are talking big time players finley, grant gone early in the season. Rodgers for over a game and a half. No One can match up with the packers injurys..

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you mr Huffman,

this is a game that many think we are the only ones who are suffering these problems with. Crazy how a team like the PATRIOTS have almost a completely different roster this year from 6-8 years ago, yet they are STILL BEATING TEAMS badly....

It must be due to everything BUT the coaching....
wow a different roster over 6-8 yrs??? really?? shocking lol
ok you hate MM so bad. Guess what there is 30 other teams out there that would love to have belichick too. Its easy to complain when you compare someone to the best coach in the game.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask the '07 Giants if getting close to beating, but ultimately losing to the Patriots counted for something. I think you'll find it did.

I sat in the 2nd row at the 10 yd line of that game, so I know what they saw. MAtter of fact, my avatar is a picture from my own camera FROM THAT GAME.

A team that was uncomfortable in their own stadium, who, the only time I saw them run like it meant something was at halftime to get into the locker-room.

YOu are speaking about apples and orangutans. The difference is that the 07 Giants were UNDER- talented. They were OVER disciplined(just go look for sports articles about them that season. the team and players were all '***********' early on talking about coughlin was pushing them too hard and how he didnt have the pulse of players on a modern nfl team). They had the exact OPPOSITE of the problem we have.

Not a great comparison. Almost like saying RUDY is just like Jamie Foxx from ANY GIVEN SUNDAY. Both misunderstood. Both bet against.

Not the same though. We are BUILT to win a SB, we are NOT coached to win a SB.

Wanna disagree....

Show me just ONE example where I am wrong.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sat in the 2nd row at the 10 yd line of that game, so I know what they saw. MAtter of fact, my avatar is a picture from my own camera FROM THAT GAME.

A team that was uncomfortable in their own stadium, who, the only time I saw them run like it meant something was at halftime to get into the locker-room.

YOu are speaking about apples and orangutans. The difference is that the 07 Giants were UNDER- talented. They were OVER disciplined(just go look for sports articles about them that season. the team and players were all '***********' early on talking about coughlin was pushing them too hard and how he didnt have the pulse of players on a modern nfl team). They had the exact OPPOSITE of the problem we have.

Not a great comparison. Almost like saying RUDY is just like Jamie Foxx from ANY GIVEN SUNDAY. Both misunderstood. Both bet against.

Not the same though. We are BUILT to win a SB, we are NOT coached to win a SB.

Wanna disagree....

Show me just ONE example where I am wrong.
easy half are talent is on IR and the Giants had LOADS of talent.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
You're overrating the talent of this Packers team. We have a mediocre running back (and that's at best, I consider him to be bad). We have a ****** tight end. We have a schizophrenic offensive line who at times seem incapable of pass blocking. We started Howard Green (not good enough to even be on the Jets), Erik Walden (Who?), and Charlie Peprah (how many times have we cut him? 8?) on defense tonight.

We're undertalented and overachieving right now. On paper, this is a 7 or 8 win football team.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're overrating the talent of this Packers team. We have a mediocre running back (and that's at best, I consider him to be bad). We have a ****** tight end. We have a schizophrenic offensive line who at times seem incapable of pass blocking. We started Howard Green (not good enough to even be on the Jets), Erik Walden (Who?), and Charlie Peprah (how many times have we cut him? 8?) on defense tonight.

We're undertalented and overachieving right now. On paper, this is a 7 or 8 win football team.
Thank you! someone thats thinking stright.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and its not just the amount of injuries its who and where they are. Clay missed some games jenkings, Picket.
We are talking big time players finley, grant gone early in the season. Rodgers for over a game and a half. No One can match up with the packers injurys..

lots of guys are banged up

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow a different roster over 6-8 yrs??? really?? shocking lol
ok you hate MM so bad. Guess what there is 30 other teams out there that would love to have belichick too. Its easy to complain when you compare someone to the best coach in the game.

You are twisting what I am trying to say. Not 6-8 years ago... 6-8 years running. If you want to mince words its actually closing in on a decade.... The PATs seem to find ways to win with 'Whoever" they have. We struggle to win with stars.

Im not complaining, I am saying while some are willing to "settle" for what we have, shouldnt we be wanting to find someone who can use our talent properly???

Its not a snap judgment . This is YEARs now. different players. arguably FAR SUPERIOR TALENT in their PRIME....

SAME outcome.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ill just say I dont agree. You ignore all the post of people that prove you wronge, and just keep talking about coaches sucking. You compare him to the best coach in the game to prove your point. I can take any other coaches name and insert it for MM and it looks like a good point. Bill is the best in the game I would love to have him, but only one team at a time can have him and its the pats. That is no reason to fire the packers coaches.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are twisting what I am trying to say. Not 6-8 years ago... 6-8 years running. If you want to mince words its actually closing in on a decade.... The PATs seem to find ways to win with 'Whoever" they have. We struggle to win with stars.

Im not complaining, I am saying while some are willing to "settle" for what we have, shouldnt we be wanting to find someone who can use our talent properly???

Its not a snap judgment . This is YEARs now. different players. arguably FAR SUPERIOR TALENT in their PRIME....

SAME outcome.

right on bro

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodger
Greg Jennings
Donald Driver
Nick Collins
Clay Mathews
Charles Woodson
Al Harris
Brett Favre
Ryan Grant
etc
etc
etc.

You speak up on this season, but these guys have all been here for seasons, or were in the past.

the ONE thing to be said that NOBODY will acknowledge:

We never play OUR game. We always play our OPPONENTS game. We do not impose OUR will on anyone. We play within the confines of our opponents ability, never surpass it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. . .

the ONE thing to be said that NOBODY will acknowledge:

We never play OUR game. We always play our OPPONENTS game. We do not impose OUR will on anyone. We play within the confines of our opponents ability, never surpass it.
What does this mean exactly? Anything?

Should the coaches not game plan? Is that what you are advocating?

MM has stubbornly kept going with the run game. He finally had some success against the Pats. Isn't that proof of playing OUR game? To keep trying something even though it doesn't work?

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does this mean exactly? Anything?

Should the coaches not game plan? Is that what you are advocating?

MM has stubbornly kept going with the run game. He finally had some success against the Pats. Isn't that proof of playing OUR game? To keep trying something even though it doesn't work?

You can never abandon the run though. Especially when something like 50% of our passing plays are play-action.

Members online

Latest posts