Minkah Fitzpatrick went to Steelers

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My guess is that Green Bay is squirreling away for Kenny Clark, and are not likely to pull the trigger on a move such as this. I also wonder about the 'front-runner' status...

I don't see what the two would have to do with one another. They need cap space for Clark, and draft capital for Minkah. But because the latter is on a rookie deal, his control is pretty cheap for a few seasons.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he'd be an immediate starter and contributor for the next 3 years at least
if you get that with a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round pick, you're pretty happy

H

HardRightEdge

One report has Miami allowing Fitzpatrick to talk to other teams. That makes sense. Since his complaint seems to be the Miami scheme and his role in it, teams might be reluctant to pay up for a guy who is (1) not "team first" between the lines and in the locker room (otherwise it's still "a business" as they say) and (2) who might not like their scheme or their projected role for him.

Of course, staring down the barrel of a 3-13 or even an 0-16 season probably factors in. Playing on a bad team with lousy and unhappy players would make any player worth his salt unhappy himself, but it also does not exactly enhance prospects for that second contract.

So, the acquirer will (1) have to be willing to engage in a discussion where a player is dictating terms of play, (2) see the fit where that won't matter and (3) provide a respectable amount of compensation to Miami.

Somewhere in the discussion with the Packers the question might be posed, "if we have injuries at safety are you going to have a problem filling in there?" Jerry, on the other hand, seems willing to accumulate talent and figure it all out later. That generally doesn't work too well, but it might work in landing the player.

The attraction here is not just the player; it's how little the cap cost for a talented but currently disgruntled player. The CBA prohibits renegotiating a rookie contract, and extensions are prohibited until after the player's 3rd. season, so there's the additional advantage in knowing he cannot complain about money for two seasons. That makes the risk quite low. The main thing is you'd want to have confidence he's not the kind of personality who will blow up like Randall and pollute team chemistry if things don't go his way.

Last edited by a moderator:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This would be epic.
It certainly has the potential to be epic. After giving it some more thought I find myself going back and forth on trading for Minkah Fitzpatrick. I'm open to whatever route they choose in this.

He allowed the lowest passer rating allowed covering the slot last year... Nothing to sneeze at. The impact could prove immense.

H

HardRightEdge

he'd be an immediate starter and contributor for the next 3 years at least
if you get that with a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round pick, you're pretty happy
I'd say he'd be good for two years. What do you do if after 3 years he demands, "Extend me or trade me"?

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm. I get what you're saying, HRE. There is always that potential with any player we pursue, but he did just ask to be traded. Understandable in an obvious team tank situation though, which should carry some weight there.

He is pretty much a pure slot who has the talent and experience to play anywhere. However, no one in NCAA had a better slot grade than he through his entire career 2014-2018 at Alabama. GB could give him the starting slot position immediately. Might be a match made in heaven, a cherry on top of a very promising looking defense.

3 years of Super Bowl wins (possibilities) could go a long way towards him wanting to stay, or would be worth those years in contributions should he want a monster contract cash in.

H

HardRightEdge

Ummmmmm extend him or trade him?
Correct. What is the question exactly?

Just to be clear, the 3 years I was referring to is 3 years on his rookie contract after which he would be eligible for an extention according to the CBA, after 2 years with his new team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the prospect is exciting, but you can't gloss over everything else either. Josh Jones didn't think he was used well either whereas a guy like Micah Hyde just went to work day after day and did what was asked. I don't want guys that aren't going to play when they decide it's not worth it. It should be concern of our front office. I think he's a good player, but they have some homework to do before offering up 1sts and 4ths' and all this other stuff.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure he's only demanding a trade becas he doesn't want to be on a team that isnt trying to win

I thought he was unhappy because of how they were using him and the positions they were asking him to play. Not really a team player if that's the case. As far as not trying to win it may go deeper than that. Many fans have no problem with tanking if the season looks hopeless. Miami certainly seems to be looking towards the future. If they think this season is lost anyway they may indeed be trading away prime players that really are not in future plans in order to set themselves up. Is that the same as not trying to win. tIs setting yourself up for the future at the sacrifice of the present acceptable? They will try to win this season but how hard is the question and how much can you prove if you claim they are not.

If Fitzpatrick fits into what Gute, MLF and Pettine are trying to build here and would be a major contributor then I think absolutely he would be worth a second round pick. If he is not going to come in and be considered a starter at whatever position he plays at then no he is not. I think he could be a tremendous boost to our secondary if he fits.

H

HardRightEdge

Pretty sure he's only demanding a trade becas he doesn't want to be on a team that isnt trying to win
Pretty sure he's demanding a trade because (1) he doesn't want to be on a team that isn't trying to win while (2) playing a position where he gets lit up on 6 of 6 for 117 yards and 3 TDs on opening day. His reported reasons don't mention (1) but they do mention (2) and the one may have something to do with the other.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tagged that as an agree... because I think it is very likely that you are correct. However, we do not know that for sure and should proceed cautiously.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree 100% King plus our 2nd. Fitzpatrick is a difference maker who can play anywhere in the secondary..including corner. He has a nose for the ball and he been pretty DURABLE..which is the kicker. Can you imagine a secondary with Alexander, Fitz, Savage, And Amos? Your basically going to have to have this type of secondary if you’re going to beat the Patriots. Or Khalil Mack, Von Miller and Demarcus Lawrence as pass rushers.

Keep King and get Fitzpatrick, both. Alexander, Fitzpatrick, King, Savage and Amos would be nice, with Jackson, Williams and Raven Greene is a winning secondary. Fitzpatrick is an excellent slot defender, still on a cheap contract. I'd give a 2nd for sure, maybe a bit more.

H

HardRightEdge

the prospect is exciting, but you can't gloss over everything else either. Josh Jones didn't think he was used well either whereas a guy like Micah Hyde just went to work day after day and did what was asked. I don't want guys that aren't going to play when they decide it's not worth it. It should be concern of our front office. I think he's a good player, but they have some homework to do before offering up 1sts and 4ths' and all this other stuff.
Like I said, I'd offer the 2020 2nd. round pick + Josh Jackson if he said the right things in the interview then see where that goes. Stick him in at slot an roll with it. It is not a risk free opportunity, however, when dealing with I guy who asked to be traded.

H

HardRightEdge

Fake News
The Packers as front runners as stated in the OP would be fake news. A trade possibility evidently is not. Fitzpatrick had an opportunity to debunk this as a rumor yesterday in a lockerroom media grilling. He just kept repeating over and over that all he's thinking about or willing to talk about is the upcoming game.

I don't often have enthusiam for the endless trade and FA possibilities posed in these pages. Usually they come up with older stars whose best days are behind them or a guy who is going to cost a bazillion bucks where the best you can hope for is you get what you pay for, and if you do that across the roster that pretty much equates to an 8-8 team.

In this case, given that player and that contract with Miami eating the cap on his roster bonus, he should be in play for the Packers. I doubt anything will come of it, but I could be pleasantly surprised.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure he's demanding a trade because (1) he doesn't want to be on a team that isn't trying to win while (2) playing a position where he gets lit up on 6 of 6 for 117 yards and 3 TDs on opening day. His reported reasons don't mention (1) but they do mention (2) and the one may have something to do with the other.

I'm not sure what he played last week.

But last season he played 379 snaps in the slot, 281 outside, 166 at fs, and 95 in the box.

And he did very well in coverage. He also did not complain about his role.

Now he is complaining about his role, playing multiple positions, something he did at Alabama as well and never complained. As far as I know.

What has changed? To me the thing that's changed is the dolphins aren't trying to win. My guess is he doesn't wanna risk his body for an organization that isnt all in on winning

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all about adding guys on their rookie contract who are already playing at the top of the league in terms of performance. If we can do that without giving up a first-rounder, even better.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what he played last week.

But last season he played 379 snaps in the slot, 281 outside, 166 at fs, and 95 in the box.

And he did very well in coverage. He also did not complain about his role.

Now he is complaining about his role, playing multiple positions, something he did at Alabama as well and never complained. As far as I know.

What has changed? To me the thing that's changed is the dolphins aren't trying to win. My guess is he doesn't wanna risk his body for an organization that isnt all in on winning

He complained about his role at Alambama pre draft. Or at least he told teams he didnt want to play Saftey

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct. What is the question exactly?

Just to be clear, the 3 years I was referring to is 3 years on his rookie contract after which he would be eligible for an extention according to the CBA, after 2 years with his new team.

Not really a question.... after 2 years you know if you want to keep him or not... so you either extend him, trade him, or let him walk when his contract is up... pretty simple.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Statistically, he was the top CB from the slot last year in passer rating allowed. As a rookie. I think, should they work a trade, he could start there soon. Minkah Fitzpatrick would definitely be a game changer, and would add great depth to our secondary. On the flip side, I do believe us to be deep in the secondary anyways, but, admittedly without that level of talent behind anyone. Seems getting him would be a very good move for GB. I'd appreciate that kind of addition. Depth.

I'm not counting out Josh Jackson either, but, Minkah has a bit more speed.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have to pay Kenny Clark much sooner that they would have to extend Fitzpatrick. He's under contract for the rest of 2019, 2020, 2021 with an option for 2022. That should have nothing to do with it. The only question is do they value him as a player more than the pick they have to give up
Absolutely. The alternative: sign no more good players because we might not be able to resign them. Nay! We need to get stars still on their rookie deals. Bargain!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmmmm extend him or trade him?

Extend him at his idea of his worth? Trade him for peanuts since the others know he wants out? The whole 'inmates running the asylum' thing with the players is adding heavily to my dissatisfaction with all pro sports.

Members online

Latest posts