Minkah Fitzpatrick went to Steelers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For a first round pick? I would've easily done that if that was all that was required to get him. I feel like people are over valuing first round picks.

I would be livid right now if I was a Steeler fan. No Big Ben, that draft pick could end up being a top 10 or even Top 5. That is a lot of capital to give up for a guy who in his second season is already whining about the team he is playing for and the position they are making him play. I would have thought that the Steelers learned their lesson when they got rid of Brown and Bell.

Now if you are projecting the Packers to win the Super Bowl and that pick was #32, it might have been reasonable, but I still don't like giving up first rounders, unless you are getting a proven high impact player and I don't think Fitzpatrick is quite that just yet.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:confused:

There’s absolutely, positively, no way this statement could ever be true in the NFL. One of the more laughable statements I’ve ever seen on this forum. And I’ve seen some doozies.
Ok let's analyze that shall we? I could understand not wanting to give up a first round draft pick if we were up in the picking order and everything, or if we were rebuilding, but as CONTENDERS, forgive me, but I don't see much value considering the tradeoff would be well worth the sacrifice.

If you find what I say laughable, that's fine. Just don't act like everyone's gotta agree with your thought process. I said people are over valuing a first round pick. I didn't say first round picks were useless.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be livid right now if I was a Steeler fan. No Big Ben, that draft pick could end up being a top 10 or even Top 5. That is a lot of capital to give up for a guy who in his second season is already whining about the team he is playing for and the position they are making him play. I would have thought that the Steelers learned their lesson when they got rid of Brown and Bell.

Now if you are projecting the Packers to win the Super Bowl and that pick was #32, it might have been reasonable, but I still don't like giving up first rounders, unless you are getting a proven high impact player and I don't think Fitzpatrick is quite that just yet.
Well in my prediction I said I saw us winning it all this year, and as I've previously stated, in all likeliness we'll probably be picking in the back, if all goes according to plan. I would understand if we were where we were last year and whatnot, or rebuilding, but again I see us making a deep run, with the potential of winning it all. Rodgers is entering his Twilight years, I say we maximize any chances of winning by any means necessary.

That's why I said I would've been willing to depart with a first round pick as I feel the tradeoff would be well worth it.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Ok let's analyze that shall we? I could understand not wanting to give up a first round draft pick if we were up in the picking order and everything, or if we were rebuilding, but as CONTENDERS, forgive me, but I don't see much value considering the tradeoff would be well worth the sacrifice.

If you find what I say laughable, that's fine. Just don't act like everyone's gotta agree with your thought process. I said people are over valuing a first round pick. I didn't say first round picks were useless.
We are having trouble winning games right now with Aaron Rodgers at QB. He goes down again, it’s potentially a top 10 pick year, even with the improved defense. Minkah is solid, but he’s not the kind of guy you risk that type of draft capital for.

Even more perplexing for the Steelers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jaguars must be licking their chops. I wonder what Jalen Ramsey is worth? The one big advantage of Fitzpatrick, is he still has 3 years and a possible 5th on his rookie deal. So I am sure that the Steelers factored that in. Ramsey on the other hand is in his 4th year and even with the 5th year price tag that the Jags picked up on him, he won't be cheap next year for any team that trades for him.

As salaries keep rising and star players keep leveraging themselves with threats of not playing or being unhappy, etc. I think we are going to see this more and more. I think its kind of a bad turn in the road for the NFL, but not too sure how you stop it.

Speaking of 5th year options, I just looked at the ones picked up for 2016 draft picks, if you gauge the draft "success" by 5th year options, Kenny Clark was a home run for the Packers!
Clark was chosen 27th and his option was exercised. The 5 players picked after him, none were exercised. Then when you look at the players chosen 19-26, only 2 of those players had their options picked up. In total, only 17 of 31 players selected in the 1st round had their 5th year options picked up. Patriots forfeited their first round pick due to deflategate, which is why on 31 players.

Last edited:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are having trouble winning games right now with Aaron Rodgers at QB. He goes down again, it’s potentially a top 10 pick year, even with the improved defense. Minkah is solid, but he’s not the kind of guy you risk that type of draft capital for.

It's funny considering how under your name it spells, R-E-L-A-X and yet you're hesitant on pulling the trigger, even though we're in good position right now, granted it's only 2 games thus far. So what you're telling me is that you believe Rodgers will go down with an injury this year? The defense looks as it's vastly improved, and acquiring this player it would appear would do nothing but buffer the defense which in turn would help Rodgers and not force him to play hero ball, and you're telling me that isn't worth the risk? If anything wouldn't that be a plus? I you're concern regarding Rodgers, but every QB takes that risk going out on the field.

If I'm understanding you right, you must believe we'll have yet another losing season, finish in the top 10 in drafting order this year? Otherwise I'm not following you.

TDF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well in my prediction I said I saw us winning it all this year, and as I've previously stated, in all likeliness we'll probably be picking in the back, if all goes according to plan. I would understand if we were where we were last year and whatnot, or rebuilding, but again I see us making a deep run, with the potential of winning it all. Rodgers is entering his Twilight years, I say we maximize any chances of winning by any means necessary.

That's why I said I would've been willing to depart with a first round pick as I feel the tradeoff would be well worth it.
I agree with you that this team has a good chance of going all the way and I also agree that making some big moves this year would be wise, but I also believe chemistry is a huge part of a winning formula, so I was not to high on bringing this guy on board this season. GB has 2 really good safeties and he might have brought tension in that group. I would rather see GB go after a mlb or extra corner for depth. And of course a key injury could change needs in a hurry.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's funny considering how under your name it spells, R-E-L-A-X and yet you're hesitant on pulling the trigger, even though we're in good position right now, granted it's only 2 games thus far. So what you're telling me is that you believe Rodgers will go down with an injury this year? The defense looks as it's vastly improved, and acquiring this player it would appear would do nothing but buffer the defense which in turn would help Rodgers and not force him to play hero ball, and you're telling me that isn't worth the risk? If anything wouldn't that be a plus? I you're concern regarding Rodgers, but every QB takes that risk going out on the field.

If I'm understanding you right, you must believe we'll have yet another losing season, finish in the top 10 in drafting order this year? Otherwise I'm not following you.
You’re all over the place. I’m simply saying that, in my opinion, Fitzpatrick is a guy that is solid. But he’s not a guy that you risk a 1st round pick on for a couple reasons:

1. If Rodgers does go down, or sustains another serious injury (it’s happened each of the last two seasons...it’s more than possible), Fitzpatrick isn’t good enough to justify losing a top 10 pick.

2. The defense, as presently constructed, is dominating. While adding Fitzpatrick would make it more formidable, I’d rather target more offensive help for Rodgers.

I’m not opposed to adding more defensive help. But that isn’t where the Packers top priority should lie. If they’re going to trade away draft capital, it should be for another offensive difference maker.

I’m not saying Rodgers will go down. But when you consider trading away first round picks, you have to consider all possibilities.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Minkah is an elite corner on the second year of his rookie contract. He is absolutely worth that. That first round pick next year isn't helping this team THIS year and probably won't help nearly as much as Minkah will help for multiple years to come. Minkah's situation is unusual considering his age, talent, and Miami's incompetence; I'd have been ecstatic if the Packers traded a 1st and a 3rd for him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’d rather target more offensive help for Rodgers.

I agree with this. Too many years of investing in the Defense and now that they seem to finally have arrived, its time to put more focus of draft capital and free agent $$ on the offense. Now that could all change by the end of the season, with injuries, progression, decline, etc. But as of now, the lack of draft capital spent on the offense over the last 6 or so years is starting to show.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’re all over the place. I’m simply saying that, in my opinion, Fitzpatrick is a guy that is solid. But he’s not a guy that you risk a 1st round pick on for a couple reasons:

1. If Rodgers does go down, or sustains another serious injury (it’s happened each of the last two seasons...it’s more than possible), Fitzpatrick isn’t good enough to justify losing a top 10 pick.

2. The defense, as presently constructed, is dominating. While adding Fitzpatrick would make it more formidable, I’d rather target more offensive help for Rodgers.

I’m not opposed to adding more defensive help. But that isn’t where the Packers top priority should lie. If they’re going to trade away draft capital, it should be for another offensive difference maker.

I’m not saying Rodgers will go down. But when you consider trading away first round picks, you have to consider all possibilities.

I don't see how I am, considering I perfectly explained my reasoning and logic behind this. You started by saying that what I said one of the laughable statements when I simply said I feel that people are overvaluing first draft picks. I didn't say they weren't valuable, but considering how I see us as contenders I see this as an even trade off as this will only help us. Perhaps I was defensive when you said that, but still.

1. It honestly appears that you believe Rodgers will go down. I mean by that logic EVERYONE who has a franchise QB is at risk of losing them to injury. I simply don't believe Rodgers will go down this season. If i'm wrong I'll take my crow, but again I predicted we would win it all this year, so from the way I see it, defense wins championships, and buffering our defense I don't see how that is a bad thing. And again I predicted we would win it all so what I said is based solely off my prediction of how well we do this year.

2. And who exactly do you suggest we go after then offensively? Weren't you also one of the people that was opposed to having us bring in Dez for a look offensively? So I'm curious who should we be seeking offensively to help out Rodgers? It doesn't seem like we have a lot of options, unless you think we should bring Jordy out of retirement.

Either way, Pittsburgh has him now so what's done is done. No sense in dragging this out any further. But I am curious as to who you have in mind as who we should seek on the offensive side to help Rodgers.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't see how I am, considering I perfectly explained my reasoning and logic behind this. You started by saying that what I said one of the laughable statements when I simply said I feel that people are overvaluing first draft picks. I didn't say they weren't valuable, but considering how I see us as contenders I see this as an even trade off as this will only help us. Perhaps I was defensive when you said that, but still.

1. It honestly appears that you believe Rodgers will go down. I mean by that logic EVERYONE who has a franchise QB is at risk of losing them to injury. I simply don't believe Rodgers will go down this season. If i'm wrong I'll take my crow, but again I predicted we would win it all this year, so from the way I see it, defense wins championships, and buffering our defense I don't see how that is a bad thing. And again I predicted we would win it all so what I said is based solely off my prediction of how well we do this year.

2. And who exactly do you suggest we go after then offensively? Weren't you also one of the people that was opposed to having us bring in Dez for a look offensively? So I'm curious who should we be seeking offensively to help out Rodgers? It doesn't seem like we have a lot of options, unless you think we should bring Jordy out of retirement.

Either way, Pittsburgh has him now so what's done is done. No sense in dragging this out any further. But I am curious as to who you have in mind as who we should seek on the offensive side to help Rodgers.
You need to lay off the caffeine this late at night.

I’m not suggesting anyone in particular that the Packers should be targeting. A couple weeks ago, no one knew that Minkah would be available. Things happen. If the right deal presents itself for an offensive difference maker, the Packers should pounce on it.

Or hold the pick until 2020.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Full terms of the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade:

#Dolphins traded CB Minkah Fitzpatrick, a 4th rounder in 2020 and a 7th rounder in 2021
#Steelers traded a 1st rounder in 2020, a 5th rounder in 2020 and a 6th rounder in 2021

I'm still shaking my head a bit. The Steelers are 0-2, lost their starting QB and didn't even look all that great with Big Ben. This could be a very high price they pay for a guy who wants to only play at CB. While he did have a good rookie season, he hasn't done all that much in his 2 games this year. I also wonder how much of his success last year was playing at Safety, a position he doesn't want to play?

Packers have big investments in their secondary (Amos, Alexander, King, Jackson, Savage), I would have viewed this as way too big of a luxury trade. Would MK have improved the Packers, probably, but at the opportunity cost of improving the team elsewhere.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

#Dolphins traded CB Minkah Fitzpatrick, a 4th rounder in 2020 and a 7th rounder in 2021
#Steelers traded a 1st rounder in 2020, a 5th rounder in 2020 and a 6th rounder in 2021

I'm still shaking my head a bit. The Steelers are 0-2, lost their starting QB and didn't even look all that great with Big Ben. This could be a very high price they pay for a guy who wants to only play at CB. While he did have a good rookie season, he hasn't done all that much in his 2 games this year. I also wonder how much of his success last year was playing at Safety, a position he doesn't want to play?

Packers have big investments in their secondary (Amos, Alexander, King, Jackson, Savage), I would have viewed this as way too big of a luxury trade. Would MK have improved the Packers, probably, but at the opportunity cost of improving the team elsewhere.
Spot on.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to lay off the caffeine this late at night.

I’m not suggesting anyone in particular that the Packers should be targeting. A couple weeks ago, no one knew that Minkah would be available. Things happen. If the right deal presents itself for an offensive difference maker, the Packers should pounce on it.

Or hold the pick until 2020.
Perhaps you should take your own advice and besides I'm strictly drinking water, so no caffeine for me pal.

Also for the record, you're the one that started this because what I said was "laughable" when I simply said I thought the first round draft picks can be overvalued.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's good, but if they end up picking in the top 5, this is a terrible move.

I mean, you're assuming the mystery box (unknown draft pick) turns into a great player. That's not a guarantee but fans seem to ignore that pretty routinely.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If we would've packaged Josh Jackson in the deal, I wouldn't consider it to be too much of a luxury trade. But Pittsburgh was going to outbid us anyway.

Now we can shift our focus to more pressing needs again, help on the offensive side. Wouldn't mind to see the Packers offering a 3rd for Albert Wilson, the dude is electrifying.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have been 100% fine trading our first
But yeah, I am considering ours to be more of a mid-20s to 32 pick
Top 5-10 is very steep
But good for Miami

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe the Steelers traded for him? They have a ton of work to do on that team. I guess he is young and basically a draft pick, but they may have just traded away their best chance at picking a new QB which is more important than DB

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If we would've packaged Josh Jackson in the deal, I wouldn't consider it to be too much of a luxury trade. But Pittsburgh was going to outbid us anyway.

You might be referring to the comment I made a few days ago about being willing to trade a 3rd and Josh Jackson for him, I still would have done that. I haven't read much about the "why", but Jackson has only played 4 snaps on Defense this season, now maybe he is hurt? If he is 5th on the Depth chart, I would have been fine with replacing him with Fitzpatrick at that price. I really hope Jackson's game improves, but he really needs to improve on his tackling and technique, too much grabbing out there last year.

Members online

Latest posts