Minkah Fitzpatrick went to Steelers

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm thinking it would be smart to make the move. The bidding is going to get high with a higher # of teams involved, but adding a CB with that level of talent for years to come, I'd offer a R1 and an R4... Whatever. A move like that could help bring us to the promised land this season. Imagine Aaron Rodgers with a #1-3 defense?
The Packers would be crazy to offer a 1st and 4th round pick for Fitzpatrick, in my opinion.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are good enough as things stand, but, a trade for Mincah Fitzpatrick would provide exceptional insurance should there be a possibility of losing King or Alexander to injury for any spell of time this season.

PackAttack12, Where we will be picking, at 32? :D

Personally, I think if the bidding gets that high, I would still do it, as GB would be getting a known quantity and talent. You don't always get that. #11 pick overall in 2018. Teams spend that to move up a half dozen spots or less...

Regardless, I'm certain Gutekunst and his staff are looking into this carefully, as they had Fitzpatrick in for a pre-draft visit in 2018, and he's an exceptional player.

There is the possibility they like what they have. Fitzpatrick's stat line shows him as a FS with 9 PD, 2 TFL, 80 tackles and 2 INT in 16 games last year. Similar production numbers to Josh Jackson last year, who had no INTs, fewer tackles and 10 PD.

Thing is, Fitzpatrick has 4.46 speed vs. 4.56 for Josh Jackson. Both were projected as instant starters in their draft profiles.

Raven Greene and Tony Brown do not suck... I love those guys. We also have what looked like some impressive depth on our PS with Kabion Ento. That dude impressed the hell outta me in TC/preseason.

Eh, see what happens.

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understanding is he doesn't want to be a SS or SS/ILB hybrid. He wants to be a CB, perimeter or slot. Second choice would be FS.

If we get him, we had better plan on playing him at CB. No safety/Greene games. All that'll do is give us a disgruntled players.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would be crazy to offer a 1st and 4th round pick for Fitzpatrick, in my opinion.

These are the responses that baffle me. The value that fans put on unknown draft picks is insane. It always reminds me of that scene in Family Guy where Peter wins a boat or the "mystery box". He chooses the mystery box because it could be anything, "even a boat!". That late first round pick *might* turn into a player as good as Fitzpatrick OOORRRRRRR, you could JUST HAVE MINKAH FINTZPATRICK!! And, as a bonus, you get him early in the year and he still has three years plus an option left on his rookie deal!!!!!!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are the responses that baffle me. The value that fans put on unknown draft picks is insane. It always reminds me of that scene in Family Guy where Peter wins a boat or the "mystery box". He chooses the mystery box because it could be anything, "even a boat!". That late first round pick *might* turn into a player as good as Fitzpatrick OOORRRRRRR, you could JUST HAVE MINKAH FINTZPATRICK!! And, as a bonus, you get him early in the year and he still has three years plus an option left on his rookie deal!!!!!!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Minkah's stint till date with Miami is at best described as below potential, which isn't bad considering his rookie year.

So people saying offering a 1st and 4th for a 1st round pick who hasn't hit form till date is crazy. What's wrong with that?

An 1st round pick plus maybe a second string / PS player going other way seems fine.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minkah's stint till date with Miami is at best described as below potential, which isn't bad considering his rookie year.

So people saying offering a 1st and 4th for a 1st round pick who hasn't hit form till date is crazy. What's wrong with that?

An 1st round pick plus maybe a second string / PS player going other way seems fine.

Uhm, not sure where you get that since he's actually been a terrific slot CB in his time at Miami, one of the better slot corners in the league actually. So yeah, if you plan on playing him at linebacker and edge rusher (which the Dolphins did 7 times last week) then he could be considered underwhelming, I guess? Luckily, I think Pettine will just use him at slot corner where he's been AMAZING.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhm, not sure where you get that since he's actually been a terrific slot CB in his time at Miami, one of the better slot corners in the league actually. So yeah, if you plan on playing him at linebacker and edge rusher (which the Dolphins did 7 times last week) then he could be considered underwhelming, I guess? Luckily, I think Pettine will just use him at slot corner where he's been AMAZING.

I like him as a player, but don't really want to trade our 1st pick (far less 1st and 4th) away. After using them all on the D past years, I'm finally looking forward to a 1st round pickin offence which won't happen with Minkah.

Also he's a starter so this may mean benching Tramon which is also harsh.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him as a player, but don't really want to trade our 1st pick (far less 1st and 4th) away. After using them all on the D past years, I'm finally looking forward to a 1st round pickin offence which won't happen with Minkah.

Also he's a starter so this may mean benching Tramon which is also harsh.
Harsh??

Reaction score
We always want to be trying to improve. As long as the price (capital) is in line there’s nothing wrong with negotiations. My concern is there’s talk of 3-4 other teams interested so I’m not interested in some desperate move.
I could see our future 2nd rounder for their best future 4th (likely a top 115 type selection) rounder + Fitz etc..

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought so too. Maybe not though
One suggested compensation package comes from Kyle Crabbs over at Dolphins Wire, who believes a set of first- and fourth-round picks in the 2020 NFL Draft would be needed to even pique Miami’s interest.

Considering what any team would be getting in Fitzpatrick (a 22-year old with a full season of quality NFL experience, who is under contract through 2021 with a fifth-year option for 2022), that’s a bargain.
OR
It’s a buyer’s market in Miami, as the Dolphins look to unload desirable players for draft capital and beef up their rebuild efforts. ESPN reports “teams initially have been resistant to the Dolphins’ apparent asking price that includes a first-round pick.” One account suggests Miami “will likely settle for a [second-round pick].”

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'd trade our second for him in a heartbeat
and i wouldn't be upset if we traded our first

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I still maintain that a 1 and a 4 is too much to part with. Especially considering how promising the defense seems to be as is. The offense will need some bolstering moving forward, so I’m not overly bullish on parting with future draft capital.

I don’t think Miami is going to give him away for just anything. Part with a 2? Sure. I just don’t know about two top 4 selections with all of the other needs that currently exist offensively.

H

HardRightEdge

Fitzpatrick was targetted 6 times last week and gave up 6 receptions for 117 yards and 3 TDs. If the Packers pull the trigger on this, which I doubt will happen, don't make him play whatever he was playing last week and don't make him unhappy with the scheme and don't make him unhappy in general because it evidently affects his performance.

That said, he would be an exceptionally inexpensive player in cash and cap for whoever gets him with Miami having to eat his signing bonus prorations: total cost for three years of $5.9 mil minus his week one game check. All of that $5.9 mil is guaranteed but not prohibitive if it doesn't work out. Of course after his 3rd. year, if he plays great, he might demand an extension or a trade. Even so, he'd still be a bargain locked into this contract for 2019 and 2020.

Assuming Fitzpatrick were to play slot in Green Bay, Jackson would be the #4 perimeter corner and #3 slot. He won't even make the game day roster. It's my understanding Miami plays mostly zone D. They might see Jackson as a better fit with them. They might see potential as a safety. Offer the 2nd. rounder and Jackson and see what happens.

But first make sure he'll be happy with his intended use knowing if one the safeties gets injured he evidently won't want to play there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This FO obviously just scouted him extensively a little over a year ago. They should have a pretty good grip on him as a player and person.

In my opinion, he's a slot corner who can play many other positions if called upon. But his home is in the slot. He was a stud there in college and played well there for Miami last year.

A starting secondary of Alexander, King, Fitzpatrick, Amos, and Savage would be quite formidable.

I would trade a 1st for him without much objection.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read earlier at cbssports.com that's a Cowboys are involved in trade talks with the dolphins.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Every team in the NFL should be making a call about Fitzpatrick. That being said, there could not be a more perfect player for the Packers 3-3-5 base defense. He wants to play slot corner and that’s exactly what we could use an upgrade at. The secondary already looks good, with a player like that, they may be the best secondary in the league. Go GET him Gute. If the price is truly a 2nd, this should not even be a thought. Get it done. Before the Cowboys do.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
king AND a 2nd? wow...that's too much i think. how about king and a 4th?

If a player is involved i think it's more likely to be Josh Jackson. However I'd be cool with giving up a 2nd or 3rd for Fitzpatrick without a doubt. From what I here he would push tramon Williams into a backup role which I think is fine. Fitzpatrick's best position is slot corner. While Williams is a good player Fitzpatrick is younger and better. A starting 5 of Amos Savage Fitzpatrick king and Alexander would be a special group. Add in Williams in the other slot to fill out your dime group. I think this trade is a no brainer. And chandon Sullivan is cut or included in the trade to make room.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless I recall wrong, Miami used him last week where we use Greene. Maybe him or Burks with the 2nd.

Don't think you can even trade Burks while injured. And Greene is the number 3 safety probably better to keep him. I'd say cut Sullivan or will Redmond to make a roster spot available. And give them a 2nd or like others have said even a first

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that Green Bay is squirreling away for Kenny Clark, and are not likely to pull the trigger on a move such as this. I also wonder about the 'front-runner' status...

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that Green Bay is squirreling away for Kenny Clark, and are not likely to pull the trigger on a move such as this. I also wonder about the 'front-runner' status...

They have to pay Kenny Clark much sooner that they would have to extend Fitzpatrick. He's under contract for the rest of 2019, 2020, 2021 with an option for 2022. That should have nothing to do with it. The only question is do they value him as a player more than the pick they have to give up

Members online

Latest posts