Mike Pettine's Defence

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn’t they give up 3 TD’s in a quarter? Not a far cry from 30 in a half.

I have been as critical as most of the Packers 4th quarter defense but it is hard to count that last td the Vikings scored. They scored with 1:21 to go and were down 17. It is about as meaningless of score as possible. Over a 34 minute span when the game was still close the Vikings scored 3 points and the Packers defense scored 2. This defense isnt perfect but they turned the tide of the game with the safety and int

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been as critical as most of the Packers 4th quarter defense but it is hard to count that last td the Vikings scored. They scored with 1:21 to go and were down 17. It is about as meaningless of score as possible. Over a 34 minute span when the game was still close the Vikings scored 3 points and the Packers defense scored 2. This defense isnt perfect but they turned the tide of the game with the safety and int
Hold on to your hats when we play NO and Atl.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Didn’t they give up 3 TD’s in a quarter? Not a far cry from 30 in a half.

Not if they give up 30 in the second half.

Those are 2 different statements. I believe you used the second one to try and make a point, problem is, you might as well have said "Not if Rodgers throws 4 interceptions in the 2nd half", because neither have happened recently, if at all (I don't want to research too far back).

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit, if Pettine sticks with prevent D and rushes 3 and it hurts us...I'll be calling for his head like some others. Maybe he could then get a job with Mike.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to judge Petine's performance when he has big holes to fill at LB and DLine. He just doesn't have much to work with after Clark and Kirksey. I don't think any other defensive coordinator can overcome the lack of support in the draft Petine has had at those two positions. He's gotten a lot out of the Smith's but hasn't been able to get much out of Gary but that may not be his fault. The 4th quarter collapses are nothing new. They happened under Dom and now Petine.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hold on to your hats when we play NO and Atl.

I don't understand the love the Falcons receive around here for some reason. While their offense put up a lot of yards vs. the Seahawks they failed to score a ton of points and ended up losing by 13 after scoring a garbage time touchdown.

Those are 2 different statements. I believe you used the second one to try and make a point, problem is, you might as well have said "Not if Rodgers throws 4 interceptions in the 2nd half", because neither have happened recently, if at all (I don't want to research too far back).

It's true that Rodgers has never thrown for interceptions in a game let alone a half but the Packers have given up 30 points in a half on several occasions. Last time it happened was week 10 of the 2016 season at Tennessee when the Titans scored 35 points in the first half of an 47-25 win.

Ya dont think E Sanders can pick up the slack? He CAN. He WILL

Sanders isn't anywhere close to being on a level with Thomas.

Hard to judge Petine's performance when he has big holes to fill at LB and DLine. He just doesn't have much to work with after Clark and Kirksey. He's gotten a lot out of the Smith's but hasn't been able to get much out of Gary but that may not be his fault. The 4th quarter collapses are nothing new. They happened under Dom and now Petine.

I agree the Packers lack talent on the defensive line but might have found a gem at linebacker in Barnes.

FYI the Packers rank 16th in fourth quarter points allowed in the league since Pettine became their defensive coordinator in 2018. A number that is on par with their overall ranking in points allowed (16th) during that span.

As a side note, it's too early to fairly evaluate Gary at this point.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one issue with the defense that isn't talked about very much is how Savage hasn't been the Cover-1 safety they drafted him to be. He's not bad, and hasn't been bad, but also not as good as he was drafted to be.

I wonder if he wouldn't be better playing the slot more. Just a thought.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers' defense currently has two elite players (Clark and Z), one occasionally-elite player in Jaire, and 3-4 good players (Amos, Preston, Savage, and King). That's enough for an average defense but the holes at ILB, dline, and 3rd corner prevent the team from being a very strong defense against great offenses. Jaire can't really be counted on to shut down a great receiver and the defense has to overcompensate against the run game because they can't count on the players in the front-7 to handle a strong game on their own.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think one issue with the defense that isn't talked about very much is how Savage hasn't been the Cover-1 safety they drafted him to be. He's not bad, and hasn't been bad, but also not as good as he was drafted to be.

I wonder if he wouldn't be better playing the slot more. Just a thought.
How about more time, and more coaching in order to become better?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, yeah. Is that not obvious? Still doesn't change what's happening on the field.

Savage isn't Jamal Adams and most likely won't ever be. However, he's plenty good enough to be a starting safety in a very good defense. The issues on defense are dline, corner, and ILB. Clark is the only player on the dline good enough to be a starter on a good defense, Jaire is too inconsistent to be considered elite (King is a good second corner though), the 3rd corner is TBD, and the ILBs are m'eh.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine is getting way too many excuses.

Clark and ZSmith are both elite.
Preston, Alexander, and Amos are all good. I'd even throw King in here as well, especially for CB2.

if he can't come up with a quality defense with these guys then find someone who can.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine is getting way too many excuses.

Clark and ZSmith are both elite.
Preston, Alexander, and Amos are all good. I'd even throw King in here as well, especially for CB2.

if he can't come up with a quality defense with these guys then find someone who can.
Those guys are elite or good but the problem is the huge drop off in talent on the D line and ILB. Too many weak links in the Packers defense.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those guys are elite or good but the problem is the huge drop off in talent on the D line and ILB. Too many weak links in the Packers defense.

I'm not denying that. But the current players should be enough to put together a good defense. If Pettine needs supreme talent all over then we might as well fire him right now.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to judge Petine's performance when he has big holes to fill at LB and DLine. He just doesn't have much to work with after Clark and Kirksey. I don't think any other defensive coordinator can overcome the lack of support in the draft Petine has had at those two positions. He's gotten a lot out of the Smith's but hasn't been able to get much out of Gary but that may not be his fault. The 4th quarter collapses are nothing new. They happened under Dom and now Petine.
You hate Gary so your opinion is very biased

Gary has had 19 games? And missed entire pre season..

Hardly a way to use that as a basis for your assisment

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers' defense currently has two elite players (Clark and Z), one occasionally-elite player in Jaire, and 3-4 good players (Amos, Preston, Savage, and King). That's enough for an average defense but the holes at ILB, dline, and 3rd corner prevent the team from being a very strong defense against great offenses. Jaire can't really be counted on to shut down a great receiver and the defense has to overcompensate against the run game because they can't count on the players in the front-7 to handle a strong game on their own.

Kirksey and Barnes being a decent combo at inside linebacker would go a long way towards improving the overall defense. Unfortunately there's no doubt the team lacks talent on the defensive line aside of Clark. That might be too much to overcome to field a very good unit.

I'm not denying that. But the current players should be enough to put together a good defense. If Pettine needs supreme talent all over then we might as well fire him right now.

It's mind-boggling that a lot of fans continue to ignore that the defense finished ninth in points allowed last season, their first top 10 finish since 2010.

There's no doubt that they were outmatched in the NFCCG vs. the Niners in part because of matching up terribly with them and that they gave up too many points in garbage time on Sunday but overall they have performed pretty well since the start of last season.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the love the Falcons receive around here for some reason. While their offense put up a lot of yards vs. the Seahawks they failed to score a ton of points and ended up losing by 13 after scoring a garbage time touchdown.

It's true that Rodgers has never thrown for interceptions in a game let alone a half but the Packers have given up 30 points in a half on several occasions. Last time it happened was week 10 of the 2016 season at Tennessee when the Titans scored 35 points in the first half of an 47-25 win.

Sanders isn't anywhere close to being on a level with Thomas.

that is why he has shined in Denver with average qbs and SF with below average qb...Brees has a supporting cast.

I agree the Packers lack talent on the defensive line but might have found a gem at linebacker in Barnes.

FYI the Packers rank 16th in fourth quarter points allowed in the league since Pettine became their defensive coordinator in 2018. A number that is on par with their overall ranking in points allowed (16th) during that span.

As a side note, it's too early to fairly evaluate Gary at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's mind-boggling that a lot of fans continue to ignore that the defense finished ninth in points allowed last season, their first top 10 finish since 2010.

There's no doubt that they were outmatched in the NFCCG vs. the Niners in part because of matching up terribly with them and that they gave up too many points in garbage time on Sunday but overall they have performed pretty well since the start of last season.

They actually allowed more points per game than their opponents averaged. Now take a look at some of the teams they played.

Giants starting a rookie QB
Redskins starting a rookie QB
Chiefs starting a backup QB
Lions starting a backup QB
Panthers starting backup QB
The Bears starting Trubisky x2 (lol)

The Packers faced 10 teams that would eventually end the season as bottom 15 offenses.

D

Deleted member 6794

that is why he has shined in Denver with average qbs and SF with below average qb...Brees has a supporting cast.

Sanders is a good receiver but he's not anywhere close to being on Thomas' level, who set a league record with 149 receptions last year and is the only receiver in NFL history with more than 400 receptions in his first four seasons in the league with an impressive 470 catches.

They actually allowed more points per game than their opponents averaged.

That's simply wrong. Last season, the Packers allowed an average of 19.6 points while their opponents scored an average of 22.6 points per game against all of their other opponents.

The Packers faced 10 teams that would eventually end the season as bottom 15 offenses.

Actually the Packers faced nine teams that finished in the bottom half of the league in scoring. That's one above the league average and not the reason the defense finished in the top 10 in points allowed.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense was horrible in the first quarter, but played much better in the 2nd half. I guess they got a kick in the butt at half time.

Members online

Latest posts