Mike Pettine's Defence

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers could add a draft pick capable of starting ahead of anyone currently on the roster as well.

Not exactly making me feel great though. The bar appears to be very low and starting a rookie corner isn't going to improve an already porous defense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll find the play break down

I never said that was what I believed I said may have been

but I’m just a dumb ***

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a low bar to hurdle for me.

;)

Seriously though, it wasn’t a technique issue, it was a bad play call and it was King playing stupid. It wasn’t a great route. All King had to do was keep Miller from getting behind him. Now Miller is fast, so just play off, get ready to run with him, keep the player in front of you. It isn’t rocket science.

It was also a technique issue; it appeared as though King started to stop because (for some stupid reason) he thought Miller was going to run a quick out. You can watch King slow down after about a few yards and that's when Miller blows by him. King played stupid, he's never had great technique, and it was a bad play call. A perfect storm of idiocy.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is King really better than Tramon? Why sign Tramon at all and you never use him?

Yeah that didn't make sense not to use him with king struggling. He was signed because of kings back injury though..which he miraculously recovered from in 2 days.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s a low bar to hurdle for me.

;)

Seriously though, it wasn’t a technique issue, it was a bad play call and it was King playing stupid. It wasn’t a great route. All King had to do was keep Miller from getting behind him. Now Miller is fast, so just play off, get ready to run with him, keep the player in front of you. It isn’t rocket science.

FYI the guy breaking down the play , said king took inside to early? And coudlnt recover

I can’t find the video, but was after watching a video on Evans being micd up

and yes I did watch the game and knew what happened .. I should been more clear on my delivery of my statement for those that have a hard time speaking my language

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah that didn't make sense not to use him with king struggling. He was signed because of kings back injury though..which he miraculously recovered from in 2 days.
I hold to my stance that they expected to beat the bucs and Tramon would been ready for the SB

D

Deleted member 6794

Not exactly making me feel great though. The bar appears to be very low and starting a rookie corner isn't going to improve an already porous defense.

It's definitely possible for a rookie cornerback to have a positive impact. Just take a look at L'Jarius Sneed with the Chiefs this year.

Gutekunst needs to select the right one though.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's definitely possible for a rookie cornerback to have a positive impact. Just take a look at L'Jarius Sneed with the Chiefs this year.

Don't want another Ahmad Carroll.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoever Gute may pick at cb, I hope he is well versed in man-to-man coverage and is loose in the hips so he can stay with receivers when they cut. King was fast but tight in turning so his speed didn't show up. He was especially vulnerable on crossing routes and out and up routes. Looks like they totally gave up on Josh Jackson as the season went on. Both guys are second round picks but will likely not be resigned so a cb is really needed in the coming draft.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Funny enough, Sneed played safety in college.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It was also a technique issue; it appeared as though King started to stop because (for some stupid reason) he thought Miller was going to run a quick out. You can watch King slow down after about a few yards and that's when Miller blows by him. King played stupid, he's never had great technique, and it was a bad play call. A perfect storm of idiocy.
That in a nutt shell is what the person in the break down said

I gathered he was implying if king would have just stayed with him it might have been a diff story

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't want another Ahmad Carroll.

Nobody does.

Looks like they totally gave up on Josh Jackson as the season went on. Both guys are second round picks but will likely not be resigned so a cb is really needed in the coming draft.

Just for the record, Jackson is under contract for the 2021 season. The Packers could save $1.3 million of cap space by releasing him though, which in my opinion seems to be a no-brainer.

Funny enough, Sneed played safety in college.

Sneed played as many snaps at slot corner as at free safety in his last college season.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I’ll have to wait and hear his comment within the flow of the presser to get context, but how in the world was there miscommunication?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll have to wait and hear his comment within the flow of the presser to get context, but how in the world was there miscommunication?
“umm yeah... sorry Mike...apparently you thought I wanted you to order up the dumbest defensive play call in the history of the NFL. You obviously deserve better... so We’ve decided to let you go elsewhere.”

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds to me LaFleur is taking responsibility for this particularly disastrous play whether he believes it or not. Tastefully handled by the head coach IMO. The fact that Pettine was not re-signed is all we really need to know and speaks volumes.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it really raises more questions than answers. But you have to be impressed with MLF stepping up and taking the responsibility.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it really raises more questions than answers. But you have to be impressed with MLF stepping up and taking the responsibility.

Could be something as simple as a word or phrase meaning different actions in the offense and defense. Or he missed a word that alters the call.

Obviously NFL calls are more complicated, but if the call end something like: "...Man Fire Weak..." and MLF heard "...Man F..." he could have easily thought "Man Free," which sounds like a 2-deep shell to me.

Could also be a HC rubbing a leadership on the issue and not completely throwing Pettine under the bus. You need to be able to absorb some of the blame to let your candidates know you're not a jerk.

D

Deleted member 6794

Could be something as simple as a word or phrase meaning different actions in the offense and defense. Or he missed a word that alters the call.

Obviously NFL calls are more complicated, but if the call end something like: "...Man Fire Weak..." and MLF heard "...Man F..." he could have easily thought "Man Free," which sounds like a 2-deep shell to me.

Could also be a HC rubbing a leadership on the issue and not completely throwing Pettine under the bus. You need to be able to absorb some of the blame to let your candidates know you're not a jerk.

I don't think there was enough time for MLF and Pettine to discuss about the call. Therefore the defensive coordinator is the only one to blame for the terrible mistake in my opinion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They couldn't have a sit down discussion over coffee with a film break down, you're right, but it was coming out of a time out. This wasn't a no timeout, time winding down, no huddle hurry to the line and run a play with what you have situation at all.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Think you're right with the last paragraph. Pulling a Janet Reno by taking responsibility for something that won't hurt you.

If the second paragraph is at all applicable here, or at any time, it's a negative that rests on the shoulders of whoever designs the terms. If they can be confused, use something else. Hence "niner" instead of "nine" so as not to sound live "five", or EKG instead of ECG so as not to confuse with EEG.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the second paragraph is at all applicable here, or at any time, it's a negative that rests on the shoulders of whoever designs the terms. If they can be confused, use something else. Hence "niner" instead of "nine" so as not to sound live "five", or EKG instead of ECG so as not to confuse with EEG.

Agreed on the changing of words for just that purpose. I'd like to clarify I'm speculating on what might have happened.

In my mind, IF MLF misunderstood the defensive call, it's more likely to be an overloaded term. I'm struggling to come up with an example, but if the offense has a check or hot-word to mean "hey look, it's Man-2, option routes adjust!" and the defense uses that same word to mean "Single man, weak inside linebacker go," a coach that tries to live in both worlds could easily get caught up.

Not the same thing, but just consider the difference between colloquial "theory" and scientific or academic "theory." Communication is hard under ideal circumstances.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Understand. Just trying to say that, if anything makes it difficult to succeed, the person in charge is responsible to see that the matter is addressed.

D

Deleted member 6794

They couldn't have a sit down discussion over coffee with a film break down, you're right, but it was coming out of a time out. This wasn't a no timeout, time winding down, no huddle hurry to the line and run a play with what you have situation at all.

True, you're right about it. Forgot the Bucs called their final timeout before the play.

Members online

Latest posts