Mike Pettine's Defence

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Savage isn't Jamal Adams and most likely won't ever be. However, he's plenty good enough to be a starting safety in a very good defense. The issues on defense are dline, corner, and ILB. Clark is the only player on the dline good enough to be a starter on a good defense, Jaire is too inconsistent to be considered elite (King is a good second corner though), the 3rd corner is TBD, and the ILBs are m'eh.

I don't want Savage to be Jamal Adams.

He was drafted to be a C1 safety (that's not what Adams does btw). He hasn't really shown that ability. I'm not saying he's bad, just that he hasn't played to what they drafted him to be. A bit of a disappointment. If you're going to harp on Jaire like you do, then man, Savage makes a ton more mistakes lol.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want Savage to be Jamal Adams.

He was drafted to be a C1 safety (that's not what Adams does btw). He hasn't really shown that ability. I'm not saying he's bad, just that he hasn't played to what they drafted him to be. A bit of a disappointment. If you're going to harp on Jaire like you do, then man, Savage makes a ton more mistakes lol.

Savage had certainly not had as many impactful games as Alexander, however, Savage isn't often touted as an elite safety. Alexander appears to be given all the credit for his good games and his bad games are just kind of ignored. Both are very good players that need to be more consistent.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Defense was horrible in the first quarter, but played much better in the 2nd half. I guess they got a kick in the butt at half time.

As opposed to the rubbing they must have gotten between the 3rd and 4th Q's against the Vikings. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

Well, the sideline reporter said LaFleur read the defense the riot act at halftime for lack of intensity. Whether that was the players of the coaches I couldn't say. They needed that, but shouldn't.

There's a general lack of defensive intensity across the league with a couple of exceptions. We'll see who's getting their sh*t together after week 3 or 4. We'd like this defense to be one of them.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the sideline reporter said LaFleur read the defense the riot act at halftime for lack of intensity. They needed that, but shouldn't.

There's a general lack of defensive intensity across the league with a couple of exceptions. We'll see who gets their sh*t together after week 3 or 4. We'd like this one to be one of them.
Lack of fans is what jennings was saying. Cant get energy

How true who knows

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lack of fans is what jennings was saying. Cant get energy

How true who knows

Maybe. It sure makes it easier to call signals on offenses.

While I have never played professional football, I have to think that crowd energy is more favorable to the defense. A good adrenaline jolt to get them running harder and faster. The offense is running set plays, knowing what comes next, while the crowd noise might boost them a bit, it also might distract them from doing what they know is suppose to be next.

D

Deleted member 6794

Defense was horrible in the first quarter, but played much better in the 2nd half. I guess they got a kick in the butt at half time.

The defense played terrible during the first two drives but after that scored as many points as they gave up. They need to start better moving forward.

H

HardRightEdge

While I have never played professional football, I have to think that crowd energy is more favorable to the defense.
That may be. Evidently the head coach lighting a fire under some arses at half time can have a compensating affect. I'm not really buying the crowd affect quite yet. For now I'll stick with lack of crowd noise along with another factor, "contact condition", which is more a mental than physical thing. On offense that pertains chiefly to RBs; on defense it's everybody. With so little contact practice and no preseason, defensive players may not be up to that level yet. We should see more defensive physicality and intensity coming on in the next week or two, league-wide that is. What happens with one squad or another is a different matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With so little contact practice and no preseason, defensive players may not be up to that level yet.

Could be, but with the way things have progressed in the last 10 years, starters don't see a lot of contact in the preseason games anymore. Also, this is probably the "least rusty" that I have seen our offense in many years, so go figure on that.

As long as stadiums aren't filled, its going to be up to the Players to create their own juice, for themselves and each other.

What I am actually VERY surprised in all sports is the complete lack of creativity with the pumped in sounds. Home teams are allowed to pump in noise, up to a certain level. Well so far, I have yet to hear anyone get creative with that noise. Seems like its just the same random fan noise being pumped in, just to make noise. If I am a GM, I am hiring someone to make the noises and the levels (up to allowed level) seem as real as possible. Including boo's, cheers, etc. Make those players feel like real fans are in the stands, not just loud speakers.

H

HardRightEdge

Could be, but with the way things have progressed in the last 10 years, starters don't see a lot of contact in the preseason games anymore.
More than you might think. Rookies and other guys who are pegged as first time starters get a fair number of preseason snaps. And even if a grizzled vet gets only four quarters of knocking heads that's a leg up over this camp/preseason next-to-nothing burger.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the bottom line for me is that I just don't have much confidence in Pettine or the defense.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the bottom line for me is that I just don't have much confidence in Pettine or the defense.
I think it was Gary who said players in the defense were not in position to make plays, and then later on they started to "do their jobs" and then became effective. For some reason Pettine seems to have a problem motivating and teaching.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As opposed to the rubbing they must have gotten between the 3rd and 4th Q's against the Vikings. ;)
Well that's 3 out eight Q's the defense has been astoundingly bad giving up I think 38 points and like a million yards.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was Gary who said players in the defense were not in position to make plays, and then later on they started to "do their jobs" and then became effective. For some reason Pettine seems to have a problem motivating and teaching.
motivating to start the game maybe, but not teaching. They obviously are learning because they can be good. as bad as they've been, they've also been pretty good. Defenses don't tend to score points every game either, and thru 2 they have.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's the inconsistency that has been maddening at times. they can look dominant one drive, and like the worst defense in the league the next . they're going to need focus and consistency this week for sure.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
it's the inconsistency that has been maddening at times. they can look dominant one drive, and like the worst defense in the league the next . they're going to need focus and consistency this week for sure.
A few 3 and outs would be very welcome. Those wreak havoc with an offense by not allowing it to get into a good rythym. Field position winner for us as well.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What I am actually VERY surprised in all sports is the complete lack of creativity with the pumped in sounds. Home teams are allowed to pump in noise, up to a certain level. Well so far, I have yet to hear anyone get creative with that noise. Seems like its just the same random fan noise being pumped in, just to make noise. If I am a GM, I am hiring someone to make the noises and the levels (up to allowed level) seem as real as possible. Including boo's, cheers, etc. Make those players feel like real fans are in the stands, not just loud speakers.
The league provided the soundtrack for each team to use. Plus set a volume limit. I wish they'd set the volume up a few notches especially after scores. Then you'd get the creativity.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I hate seeing the defense give up TD’s on the first possession of the game. It makes me think we’re being out coached. Like the staff isn’t ready for their opponents.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The league provided the soundtrack for each team to use. Plus set a volume limit. I wish they'd set the volume up a few notches especially after scores. Then you'd get the creativity.

I knew about the volume limit, but not about the provided soundtrack, so thanks.

While I agree with having a volume limit, I think each team should be able to make their own soundtracks and have someone like a DJ pumping them in when appropriate. Allowed that type of control, a good DJ could probably create a sound environment that at least closely mimics what fans would be doing at certain moments.

Explains why we never heard the "Go Pack Go" chant on Sunday :(

Wake up NFL and give your teams and fans the ability to control the content of what the players are hearing on the field.

EDIT.....after some research....

I guess this article explains the "curated audio" a bit better. Seems that each team can control/add to what is being played in addition to the NFL mandated audio track.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Well that's 3 out eight Q's the defense has been astoundingly bad giving up I think 38 points and like a million yards.

The Packers defense gave up too many points in the fourth quarter vs. the Vikings as well as the first against the Lions. Other than that they have allowed a total of 17 in six quarters.

A few 3 and outs would be very welcome. Those wreak havoc with an offense by not allowing it to get into a good rythym. Field position winner for us as well.

The Packers defense gas actually forced the sixth most three-and-outs per drive in the league at 23.8% over the first two games.

I hate seeing the defense give up TD’s on the first possession of the game. It makes me think we’re being out coached. Like the staff isn’t ready for their opponents.

It's interesting to note that the Packers defense have already given up more touchdowns on opening drives this season than all of last year.

Members online

Latest posts