Mike Pennel

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a reminder that for some of us, it's about rules. I have no problem with allowing PEDs, but if they're prohibited, you don't use them. If the NFL listed root beer as a prohibited item, you don't drink root beer. As for people like Pennel, who apparently can't compete without cheating, agree that he needs to go.

H

HardRightEdge

Just a reminder that for some of us, it's about rules. I have no problem with allowing PEDs, but if they're prohibited, you don't use them. If the NFL listed root beer as a prohibited item, you don't drink root beer. As for people like Pennel, who apparently can't compete without cheating, agree that he needs to go.
Just to be clear, Pennel's first 4 game suspension and the current pending suspension have been described in the press as violations of the "substance abuse policy" which does not include performance enhancing drugs.

It it were PEDs, you'd expect a report that stated a violation of the "performance enhancing drug policy".

You'll see the PED policy reference in examples such as with the suspension of The Incredible Shrinking Neal:

http://www.channel3000.com/sports/packers/packers-mike-pennel-suspended/42721294

These are two different policies, two different remediation programs, two different suspension protocols.

"Substance abuse" covers alcohol and pot which is where one would expect most of these violations are occurring. Pennel has failed at least 3 tests, maybe 4, and not necessarily for the same thing.

Do with that what you will.

I would note this forum has a bad track record in calling for cuts in loud voices.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

For a little perspective, if this substance abuse policy was in force back in the day, Hornung and McGee might have worked their way to lifetime bans.

I'd venture a guess if this forum had such a policy, many of you would be on suspension. ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to be clear, Pennel's first 4 game suspension and the current pending suspension have been described in the press as violations of the "substance abuse policy" which does not include performance enhancing drugs.

It it were PEDs, you'd expect a report that stated a violation of the "performance enhancing drug policy".

You'll see the PED policy reference in examples such as with the suspension of The Incredible Shrinking Neal:

http://www.channel3000.com/sports/packers/packers-mike-pennel-suspended/42721294

These are two different policies, two different remediation programs, two different suspension protocols.

"Substance abuse" covers alcohol and pot which is where one would expect most of these violations occur. Pennel has failed at least 3 tests, maybe 4.

I would note this forum has a bad track record in calling for cuts in loud voices.
oh, I thought I specifically heard it was a PED violation twice.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For a little perspective, if this substance abuse policy was in force back in the day, Hornung and McGee might have worked their way to lifetime bans.

I'd venture a guess if this forum had such a policy, many of you would be on suspension. ;)

I'll drink to that! :coffee:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he was busted using weed again, then I don't care. Put him back in the rotation for the playoffs.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Pennel and Guion making their way to practice......

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he was busted using weed again, then I don't care. Put him back in the rotation for the playoffs.
I agree with your first statement, however let's decide on his spot on the roster based on performance..... haven't noticed him on the field much...

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with your first statement, however let's decide on his spot on the roster based on performance..... haven't noticed him on the field much...

Pennel has only played a total of 103 snaps this season. It seems the coaches haven't been excited about his performance either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i haven't either, but at the rate we're losing people a guy to take 10 snaps to give someone a breather is ok with me at this point if we make the playoffs.

If it was just weed, then i'd be ok keeping him around to earn a roster spot next year. if he makes it cool, if not, that's cool too.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Feb. '16 article regarding his 2nd offense...
http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/...ance-abuse-program-b99673579z1-369466092.html

"The four-game suspension means this isn't the first time Pennel has violated the substance abuse program. A player has to be in Stage Two of the program to suffer a penalty as strict as a four-game suspension. The violation could have been for testing positive for a banned substance or missing a drug test.

According to the NFL's substance abuse policy, if a player tests positive for marijuana while in Stage Two he "shall be subject to a fine of two-seventeenths (two weeks) of the Paragraph 5 amount in his NFL Player Contract."

Because Pennel was suspended four games and not just fined two weeks pay, he either violated his treatment plan, which could have included a prohibition on drinking alcohol; missed a scheduled drug test; or tested positive for a harsher drug than marijuana. The NFL does not reveal which violation was committed."

Also: "Pennel is a childhood kidney cancer survivor who grew into a mountain of a man."

God gave him a 2nd chance at life... the NFL gave him a 2nd chance at the NFL and he pissed (or didn't!) it away. Don't care what substance he abused, it's a continuing pattern of violations and not caring enough to abide by the agreement/law. Good riddance.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not that black and white about everything. PED's, yeah, he can't hack it without 'em if that was the case. See you later. But apparently I was wrong. i don't believe all drugs or things are equal just because there is a law or rule. I'd be concerned if he was a drunk and out on the roads. If he was addicted to heroine, then he needs to take care of himself. If he's using weed rather than vicodin for pain, then I applaud him because he's smarter about himself than the the establishment is. but nobody would give two thoughts if he was swallowing pain killers by the handfuls just to get by. The only difference, one is less destructive to you body and the flow of money goes somewhere else.

I don't know the details of any of this. Maybe he likes to snort cocaine off hookers, which of course would make be think differently. but without the details i'm just guessing.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wonder how this conversation would change if it was AR, Jordy or Cobb we were discussing? When Favre went through his vicodin addiction thing, most were just worried about getting him back as soon as possible. Granted, I don't think he violated any league rules, but he was doing something he shouldn't have been.

With Pennel, it is kind of a two sided argument for me and not so sure what side I stand on. One side of me says "While I don't think smoking pot is that big of a deal and think its a much better alternative then a lot of things, you make him serve his suspension and earn the spot on the team". The other side says "It's against the NFL policy, what kind of message are you sending to teammates and fans by keeping the guy around". I guess in this situation I would be more apt to side with the NFL Policy and say "serve your suspension, come back and prove you should be on this team."

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

i'm not that black and white about everything. PED's, yeah, he can't hack it without 'em if that was the case. See you later. But apparently I was wrong. i don't believe all drugs or things are equal just because there is a law or rule. I'd be concerned if he was a drunk and out on the roads. If he was addicted to heroine, then he needs to take care of himself. If he's using weed rather than vicodin for pain, then I applaud him because he's smarter about himself than the the establishment is. but nobody would give two thoughts if he was swallowing pain killers by the handfuls just to get by. The only difference, one is less destructive to you body and the flow of money goes somewhere else.

I don't know the details of any of this. Maybe he likes to snort cocaine off hookers, which of course would make be think differently. but without the details i'm just guessing.

But surely if those are the rules, you HAVE to abide by them or leave the game ?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Damn, now I`m agreeing with you. What the hell is happening here ?? :D

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

which part is the bad part... the coke or the hookers? lol

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how this conversation would change if it was AR, Jordy or Cobb we were discussing? When Favre went through his vicodin addiction thing, most were just worried about getting him back as soon as possible. Granted, I don't think he violated any league rules, but he was doing something he shouldn't have been.

With Pennel, it is kind of a two sided argument for me and not so sure what side I stand on. One side of me says "While I don't think smoking pot is that big of a deal and think its a much better alternative then a lot of things, you make him serve his suspension and earn the spot on the team". The other side says "It's against the NFL policy, what kind of message are you sending to teammates and fans by keeping the guy around". I guess in this situation I would be more apt to side with the NFL Policy and say "serve your suspension, come back and prove you should be on this team."
I agree, my biggest problem is that his violations are making him unavailable to play.... if he can't get it together, we need to find a player that can. He is not Favre or any other player we can't do without. I'm sorry but a double standard does exist, if he was a player of that caliber, he would have earned that benefit of the doubt. I don't believe Pennel has.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree, my biggest problem is that his violations are making him unavailable to play.... if he can't get it together, we need to find a player that can. He is not Favre or any other player we can't do without. I'm sorry but a double standard does exist, if he was a player of that caliber, he would have earned that benefit of the doubt. I don't believe Pennel has.

Agreed, but that is where the part "for the better of the team, team player or team standards" all get muddled for me. If you set the standard for one guy, that standard should really apply to all teammates or you really aren't doing anything except selectively using a team or NFL violation to remove guys that you "can do without". Still noodling this one. :D

H

HardRightEdge

Pennel has only played a total of 103 snaps this season. It seems the coaches haven't been excited about his performance either.
He did miss the first 4 games. It's also typical for guys coming off suspension or extended injury to take a few games to get back into the swing of things. Then there's Capers again running very little base D.

Pennel is not going to be more than a rotational pocket pusher in the pass game; he still looks pretty good to me against the run.

H

HardRightEdge

So, Guion had a dealer-quantity amount of pot, $190,000 in cash, a gun and an outstanding lawyer.

If you think that day was his first encounter with marijuana or his last, you are deluded.

Fans need to get over themselves when it comes to "substance abuse". Half the league is doing something; most know how not to get caught. Besides, we don't even know who's been caught until the 2nd. or 3rd. instance which draws a suspension.

For me, PEDs are another matter. The player is selling something he isn't, and if he gets caught and stays clean, he won't be the same player.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

"Substance abuse" covers alcohol and pot which is where one would expect most of these violations are occurring. Pennel has failed at least 3 tests, maybe 4, and not necessarily for the same thing.

To your last sentence, two suspensions in the same season coupled with uninspired play in between makes him totally unreliable, untrustworthy and very replaceable with a 3 day old ham sandwich. Cut him, replace him and revisit whether you want to invite him to a camp tryout next spring.

Members online

Latest posts