Mike Pennel suspended four games

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was a term describing us as a species actually censored? Wow. Goin' back to bed and starting over later.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I couldn't agree more. Even before the suspension my hope is we draft a NT in
round one. We may have a few options at pick #27 among Jarran Reed, Andrew
Billings and Vernon Butler. IMO this is the deepest year for the position in several
years and should bring good value for where we pick.

Out of the guys you mentioned I would prefer Billings. Not sure he will still be on the board at #27 though.

H

HardRightEdge

As far as I understand the rules Pennel was suspended for using a recretional drug as PEDs fall under the league's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances.

In addition him being suspended for four games means he wasn't caught for the first time and it's either because of a harsher drug than marijuana, he missed a scheduled deug test or violated his treatment plan, which could have included a prohibition on drinking alcohol.
To borrow a phrase, I agree with most of what you said, and your conclusion appears to be correct.

The NFL's terminology is confusing and I find myself having to refresh my memory every time one of these events occurs. Here's a link to the relevant documents if anybody is interested:

https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/drug-policies

The recreational drug policy is poorly titled "Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse", as if to suggest that performance enhancing drugs are not subject to abuse. I have to remind myself that when a reporter refers to the "substance abuse policy" he's not talking about performance enhancing substances.

As you said, alcohol above a specified blood level is included under this policy only if the guy has tested positive for something else and is in the remediation program. Interestingly, the list does not include psychedelics such as LSD.

So, a guy not in the remediation program could show up to the offseason test drunk on his *** or tripping his brains out and pass with flying colors.

2. The performance enhancing drug policy is clearly titled "Policy on Performance Enhancing Substances". You described it as a policy on "anabolic steroids and related substances", which is understandable since the NFLPA's own link uses that incorrect wording.

This policy also covers a raft of stimulants which are unrelated to steroids or their masking agents.

On an unrelated matter, 10 players from every team every week during the season are randomly tested for performance enhancing drugs, and the penalties for failing a test are stricter than for the recreational drugs. The league cares much more about "competitive integrity" and I can't say there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you're just kidding or being facetious. Otherwise WTF are you talking about.

At least 4 other people agreed. Just because you don't agree with someone, that doesn't mean the other person is wrong or trolling. Perspective is a hell of a drug.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least 4 other people agreed. Just because you don't agree with someone, that doesn't mean the other person is wrong or trolling. Perspective is a hell of a drug.

Again, WTF are you talking about??? I simply made an observation that sports players are human beings, a microcosm of society, and I get all this out of left field BS about it that doesn't have anything to do with a simple indesputable fact . But 4 people agree- with what?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On second thought, this was supposed to be a fun thing, talking Packers with other fans. It's become too much pointless BS.
Sincerest best wishes to everyone on the site, and go Pack.
I'm done and out.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, uhhh, move on ... Pennel suspended eh? This isn't a surprising development in the modern NFL. I'll just assume it was a big dude puffing on a few shorties instead of popping Favre pills. I'm not all that concerned unless they indicate that it was something more serious.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If.........he remains on the team this is actually good for someone else because it opens up a roster spot for them to showcase their talent for 4 weeks.
Which other players being suspended would be good because that'd open up a roster spot? ;)

Seriously while there's nothing that can be done about it, characterizing the suspension of a young ascending DL as "actually good" seems like putting lipstick on a pig.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'll just assume it was a big dude puffing on a few shorties instead of popping Favre pills. I'm not all that concerned unless they indicate that it was something more serious.

The four-game suspension suggests that he tested positive for a harsher drug than marijuana, most likely for the third time.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Guion stuck around after being arrested on felony charges, and Quarless was arrested for discharging a firearm in public and returned to the team, and Datone was suspended for one game for the same offense and is still a Packer, and since Thompson/McCarthy gave Johnny Jolly another chance, and ... ... ... My guess is since Pennel is a young talented DL with an upside, he'll be a Packer after he serves the four game suspension. The current state of professional sports is only players at the end of rosters are released for these kinds of infractions. Unless a famous one generates enough bad publicity to affect revenues. That's why both Lacy and Alonzo Harris were released in-season... oh, wait a minute.

Seems to be a disturbing trend here for the formerly squeaky-clean Packers. They may need to make an example of someone.

Sky King

Reaction score
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Seems to be a disturbing trend here for the formerly squeaky-clean Packers. They may need to make an example of someone.

If you take a close look at Guion's contract the front office already did. He would have for sure gotten way more guaranteed money without him being arrested last offseason.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Seems to be a disturbing trend here for the formerly squeaky-clean Packers.
When were the Packers squeaky clean? Before or after Paul Hornung was suspended for a year for betting on NFL games and "associating with undesirable persons" in 1963? I never liked the phrase "Packer people" because it implied the Packers have a higher standard regarding off-the-field conduct than most other teams and I just don't think that's true. Certainly the Packers haven't been a franchise like the Raiders who clearly have had a lower standard than most NFL teams, but they haven't been morally superior to all other teams either.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Pennel used marijuana it appears that it cannot be easily dismissed as being a harmless, non-addictive habit:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/27/risks-of-marijuana/10386699/

http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/marijuana/the-harmful-effects.html

These are just two of an increasing number of articles that have been challenging the myth.
Regardless of your views on the attributes or lack thereof of marijuana, I think it is important to understand the topic from an NFL players perspective.

"When speaking to players, they describe weed use the way others describe drinking a glass of wine with dinner. There is a matter-of-factness about it. There are no tales of abuse, only—and this is the best word to describe it—relief. Players view marijuana as a savior, as key to their survival in the sport as a good quarterback or smart head coach."

"Smoking allowed me to recover from my concussion faster and with a lot less side effects," one veteran linebacker said.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/article...veted-by-nfl-players-as-invaluable-painkiller

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When were the Packers squeaky clean? Before or after Paul Hornung was suspended for a year for betting on NFL games and "associating with undesirable persons" in 1963? I never liked the phrase "Packer people" because it implied the Packers have a higher standard regarding off-the-field conduct than most other teams and I just don't think that's true. Certainly the Packers haven't been a franchise like the Raiders who clearly have had a lower standard than most NFL teams, but they haven't been morally superior to all other teams either.

If you have to go as far back to Paul Hornung, you're making my point for me.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If you have to go as far back to Paul Hornung, you're making my point for me.
You're kidding, right? How about James Lofton, Eddie Lee Ivory, Charles Martin, and Mossy Cade? Not recent enough? How about Nick Barnett, Cory Rodgers, Johnny Jolly, Ahman Green, Eric Walden, Brandon Underwood, Jarrett Bush, Datone Jones, Andrew Quarless, Letroy Guion, and Pennel? Like most of you, I’m a lifelong Packers fanatic but that doesn’t mean we have to be blind to reality.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the sanctimonious BS.

Mike Pennel puffs a little weed and now we ought to get rid of him.

Might as well get rid of the other 50 guys on the team who puff or have puffed a little weed too.

I heard Pennel was one of the strongest guys on the team, and a cancer survivor.

But no, let's just throw him under the bus. :poop:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we need to look at the common thread here. First Guion, then Jones, and now Pennel.

Anybody else thinkin maybe Trvogic is a drug kingpin and uses his DL as muscle?

As far as this discussion of them being like normal people, most of us dont sign an agreement saying we wont. Nor are we risking our careers if we do. They are entertainers whose public image is vital to NFL sucess.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just can't see everybody getting all upset over a misdemeanor.

The one-eyed fella agreed with me.

The upsetting part is the four-game suspension. A player's number one ability is availability, and Pennel won't have that for at least a quarter of a season.

People's views on marijuana use (if, that is indeed the substance in question), are wholly irrelevant. Plenty of people have jobs that require random drug testing, and they know that if they break the rules and get caught, they risk losing their livelihood. Football players are no different, and Pennel's action puts an additional burden on his teammates and the organization he works for. It is a selfish act. That doesn't make him a horrible human being, but it does make him less valuable to the Green Bay Packers and the NFL.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The upsetting part is the four-game suspension. A player's number one ability is availability, and Pennel won't have that for at least a quarter of a season.

People's views on marijuana use (if, that is indeed the substance in question), are wholly irrelevant. Plenty of people have jobs that require random drug testing, and they know that if they break the rules and get caught, they risk losing their livelihood. Football players are no different, and Pennel's action puts an additional burden on his teammates and the organization he works for. It is a selfish act. That doesn't make him a horrible human being, but it does make him less valuable to the Green Bay Packers and the NFL.

I certainly can't argue with that logic.

What a bummer.

I was hoping Mike Pennel could have a break-out season and contribute heavily to our beloved Green Bay Packers.

Members online

Latest posts