Mike Pennel suspended four games

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Around The NFL for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably going to need an impressive camp and preseason to stick around now...

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
see ya. there has been too much of this **** recently with this team. No more exceptions. Send his *** packing.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Hope Thompson finds someone more committed to professionalism to replace him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Since Guion stuck around after being arrested on felony charges, and Quarless was arrested for discharging a firearm in public and returned to the team, and Datone was suspended for one game for the same offense and is still a Packer, and since Thompson/McCarthy gave Johnny Jolly another chance, and ... ... ... My guess is since Pennel is a young talented DL with an upside, he'll be a Packer after he serves the four game suspension. The current state of professional sports is only players at the end of rosters are released for these kinds of infractions. Unless a famous one generates enough bad publicity to affect revenues. That's why both Lacy and Alonzo Harris were released in-season... oh, wait a minute.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Cowboys Randy Gregory will be joining Pennel during those 4 games. "Big shocker" there. Wonder how Pennel's suspension will factor into talks with Raji?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think the Packers will most likely hold on to Pennel but it will for sure alter Thompson's offseason plan for the position. With Datone at least partially lining up at outside linebacker the team currently has three full-time defensive linemen with NFL experience on the roster for the first four games.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Cowboys Randy Gregory will be joining Pennel during those 4 games. "Big shocker" there. Wonder how Pennel's suspension will factor into talks with Raji?

Pennel's suspension doesn't create any significant additional salary cap space for the Packers, so I still don't think Raji will be re-signed. The probability of drafting a DL in the first round increased a whoke lot because of it though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You still have Ringo, Boyd and Campbell.....for whatever they are worth. Packers seemed high on Ringo. Losing Pennel for 4 games isn't tragic.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot to mention "... with NFL experience..."

Because any defensive lineman we draft will have NFL experience? You can count on a rookie just as much as you can count on any of those three guys...all that aside I hope the Packers grab a few lineman in the draft, it sounds like it's the deepest position this year with plenty of impact players to be had even in the middle rounds

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Because any defensive lineman we draft will have NFL experience? You can count on a rookie just as much as you can count on any of those three guys...all that aside I hope the Packers grab a few lineman in the draft, it sounds like it's the deepest position this year with plenty of impact players to be had even in the middle rounds

I'd rather play a rookie selected early in a deep draft for the position than a sixth-round pick from last season who played for a small school in Ringo and some other holdovers from the practice squad early in the season.

H

HardRightEdge

Pennel's suspension doesn't create any significant additional salary cap space for the Packers, so I still don't think Raji will be re-signed. The probability of drafting a DL in the first round increased a whoke lot because of it though.
Dunno about first round, but I wouldn't rule it out. A position group with poor depth just got shallower. And as we saw with Guion, it might take Pennel most of the season for him to get back into the swing of things. This is disappointing; I was looking for Pennel to take over NT and continue his progress this season.

4 games is a lot. It sounds like a performance enhancing drug issue, or perhaps Pennel was in the program for recreational drugs (read: pot) and failed a second test. Either way, not good.

H

HardRightEdge

My guess is since Pennel is a young talented DL with an upside, he'll be a Packer after he serves the four game suspension. The current state of professional sports is only players at the end of rosters are released for these kinds of infractions.
So true, but for understandable reasons. If every NFL player who ever used a banned substance or beat on his wife or girlfriend was actually caught and banned from the league, the SEC champion would give the Superbowl winner a run for it's money.

If you know half your locker room used something or beat on somebody at one time or another, which is surely known or at least suspected, you're likely to see it as an occupational hazard and a risk mitigation exercise. So long as a guy is good in the locker room and works well with his teammates and coaches, he qualifies as a "character" guy...until he gets caught. If the guy can play, then the issue is whether he's worth the risk of a repeat which wrecks havoc with roster planning. "High moral character", whatever that means, and whoever we guess it might apply to when we surly can't know, is a bonus. You're not going to fill an NFL locker room with those guys and expect to win.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many people lose sight of the fact that sports players are a microcosm of society. They're...people.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many people lose sight of the fact that sports players are a microcosm of society. They're...people.

Strictly speaking, yes. But they're in the 1% with the rare opportunity to set themselves up for life if they can just manage to stay clean and play hard for 5-10 years. That at the same time makes them very unlike regular people.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If.........he remains on the team this is actually good for someone else because it opens up a roster spot for them to showcase their talent for 4 weeks.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to draft a legitimate nose tackle... Not some DE we have to spend years developing to play a 5 technique, but a true 3-4 nose.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

4 games is a lot. It sounds like a performance enhancing drug issue, or perhaps Pennel was in the program for recreational drugs (read: pot) and failed a second test. Either way, not good.

As far as I understand the rules Pennel was suspended for using a recretional drug as PEDs fall under the league's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances.

In addition him being suspended for four games means he wasn't caught for the first time and it's either because of a harsher drug than marijuana, he missed a scheduled deug test or violated his treatment plan, which could have included a prohibition on drinking alcohol.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to draft a legitimate nose tackle... Not some DE we have to spend years developing to play a 5 technique, but a true 3-4 nose.

I couldn't agree more. Even before the suspension my hope is we draft a NT in
round one. We may have a few options at pick #27 among Jarran Reed, Andrew
Billings and Vernon Butler. IMO this is the deepest year for the position in several
years and should bring good value for where we pick.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, yes. But they're in the 1% with the rare opportunity to set themselves up for life if they can just manage to stay clean and play hard for 5-10 years. That at the same time makes them very unlike regular people.

Seriously? Are they biologically different? From different planets? No strictly speaking about it- they are people, **** sapiens. They're opportunities are different as you point out.

Staff online

Latest posts