Mike McCarthy Getting Unfairly Blamed For Injuries, Bad Kicking And Team Youth

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My positive spin on today is that despite a slow start and awful FG and extra point kicking, our young guys in MVS and E. St. Brown started gellinh a little with A-Rod, and this despite his limited practice time. Yeah I know the offense was slow out the gate, but they also got jobbed by a bad call by the refs saying King touched a ball that Brennaman and Spielman pointed out he didn't.

Basically, MM and Rodgers having that plus Crosby's awful kicking going against them were up against it all game. Not to mention some of our OL whiffing on assignments.

There is no QB vs HC tension going on here, just simply a team with growing pains with young offensive players going on. And obviously Crosby needs to start getting out of his funk.

But MM is not to blame for Cobb being injured and Adams hobbled. And nor can he kick Crosby's field goals for him.

All he needs to do is fire Joe Whitt and have LeRoy Butler come coach the DBs. Maybe ask Gute to dump HHCD and get a better FS as well.

But at 2-2-1 and only week 5, itsi ridiculous to call for MM to get fired. Absolutely ridiculous. Enough of this.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Murphy essentially confirmed that there has been some tension, but that he is confident the two will work through it. Why you continually fail to acknowledge the obvious is baffling.

McCarthy isn’t to blame for all of the short comings today, but he is absolutely responsible for making sure that his team is ready to play. And we have seen issues with that all year long.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 games is not all year long. And I suppose having a hobbled QB who's had to miss significant practice time limiting his ability to connect with our youngster WRs has had no factor in that?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
5 games is not all year long. And I suppose having a hobbled QB who's had to miss significant practice time limiting his ability to connect with our youngster WRs has had no factor in that?
Ignore my point on the tension between MM and AR? Predictable.

5 games is not all year long?? How many damn games do you think the team has played? Yes. It’s been all year long. All we can speak to is what has happened up until this point. The team has played 5 games and has absolutely looked unprepared and/or not ready to play early on in the game.

You can dance around it all you want to, but THAT MUCH is a responsibility of the head coach. I get that you are a MM supporter, but it’s tiring that you aren’t capable of being even the slightest bit objective in giving him even the slightest bit of blame for the struggles of the Packers.

I’m as big a AR fan as they come, but he cost his team today big time with some of his play. See how that works?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My positive spin on today is that despite a slow start and awful FG and extra point kicking, our young guys in MVS and E. St. Brown started gellinh a little with A-Rod, and this despite his limited practice time. Yeah I know the offense was slow out the gate, but they also got jobbed by a bad call by the refs saying King touched a ball that Brennaman and Spielman pointed out he didn't.

Basically, MM and Rodgers having that plus Crosby's awful kicking going against them were up against it all game. Not to mention some of our OL whiffing on assignments.

There is no QB vs HC tension going on here, just simply a team with growing pains with young offensive players going on. And obviously Crosby needs to start getting out of his funk.

But MM is not to blame for Cobb being injured and Adams hobbled. And nor can he kick Crosby's field goals for him.

All he needs to do is fire Joe Whitt and have LeRoy Butler come coach the DBs. Maybe ask Gute to dump HHCD and get a better FS as well.

But at 2-2-1 and only week 5, itsi ridiculous to call for MM to get fired. Absolutely ridiculous. Enough of this.

I think there is tension. I think that MM wants to get the run game going and Aaron keeps checking out of those run plays. The trouble is that until we balance our offense teams can and will sellout against the pass. You have a back averaging 5+ ypc keep running him until they stop him, which will be when they tighten the Dline(slowing down the pass rush) bring the LBs and safeties up(weakening their coverage and opening up big plays downfield).

Reaction score
lack of discipline is what cost us this game and that falls on MM if he chooses to ignore it he should 100% be let go.
I’d give him the respect of getting this sloppiness fixed by mid season and then he’s on probation week to week under no uncertain terms, IMO[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

5 games is not all year long?? How many damn games do you think the team has played? Yes. It’s been all year long. All we can speak to is what has happened up until this point. The team has played 5 games and has absolutely looked unprepared and/or not ready to play early on in the game.

You can dance around it all you want to, but THAT MUCH is a responsibility of the head coach. I get that you are a MM supporter, but it’s tiring that you aren’t capable of being even the slightest bit objective in giving him even the slightest bit of blame for the struggles of the Packers.

I’m as big a AR fan as they come, but he cost his team today big time with some of his play. See how that works?

Rodgers' hard headedness and refusal to let the offense run the ball is costing us big time right now. I guarantee that hes been checking out of a lot of run plays. We need to get Jones going and we need to force teams to atleast respect our running game, do that and you'll see much more efficiency out of the passing game. it's also one of the easiest ways to protect Rodgers and slow down a pass rush, they have to play the run and they have to keep their LBs near the LoS and their DEs pulled in. Pass rushing an offense that only wants to pass, that's what let's pass rushers tee up in the rush.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rodgers' hard headedness and refusal to let the offense run the ball is costing us big time right now. I guarantee that hes been checking out of a lot of run plays. We need to get Jones going and we need to force teams to atleast respect our running game, do that and you'll see much more efficiency out of the passing game. it's also one of the easiest ways to protect Rodgers and slow down a pass rush, they have to play the run and they have to keep their LBs near the LoS and their DEs pulled in. Pass rushing an offense that only wants to pass, that's what let's pass rushers tee up in the rush.
There’s absolutely no way of knowing 1. What the initial play call is and 2. What Rodgers is checking into. You’re entitled to your opinion but let’s not speak to it as if it is factual.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
People are making this way more complex then it is. Lose the turnover battle 0-3 on the road and have disasterous special teams play and your not gonna win many games.

If anyone should be gone after this game its Zook.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Post wasn't intended to ignore that, just to get to what I feel is dumb to call 5 games all year long.

It's too early to call for a HC firing at week 5. Just ridiculous. If he can get a team going on run the table from a 4-6 record, he's more than capable of doing it at 2-2-1.

My support for MM mostly goes against those who create false narratives against him which happens on a regular. If he goes on a big losing streak or finishes with a sub 500 record and misses the playoffs or something, sure I'd consider moving on if those in charge deem it necessary. But it's way too early in this season.

And as to that tension between him and Rodgers, well it sure as hell isn't the big old nuclear bomb the ridiculous sports propagandists are trying to turn it into. HC and QB seemed to be on the same page today. Special teams and certain DBs were not.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s absolutely no way of knowing 1. What the initial play call is and 2. What Rodgers is checking into. You’re entitled to your opinion but let’s not speak to it as if it is factual.
I agree that we don't know.... but I think we can all agree that Jones needs more touches.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So we should expect Rodgers to be perfect while everyone else is garbage? 450 yards 3 TDs and put them in enough scoring positions to win the game. Did the same against Minnesota before the kicker blew it. You can't blame him when his teammates are ******** up.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Post wasn't intended to ignore that, just to get to what I feel is dumb to call 5 games all year long.

It's too early to call for a HC firing at week 5. Just ridiculous. If he can get a team going on run the table from a 4-6 record, he's more than capable of doing it at 2-2-1.

My support for MM mostly goes against those who create false narratives against him which happens on a regular. If he goes on a big losing streak or finishes with a sub 500 record and misses the playoffs or something, sure I'd consider moving on if those in charge deem it necessary. But it's way too early in this season.

And as to that tension between him and Rodgers, well it sure as hell isn't the big old nuclear bomb the ridiculous sports propagandists are trying to turn it into. HC and QB seemed to be on the same page today. Special teams and certain DBs were not.
I never said McCarthy should be fired.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is tension. I think that MM wants to get the run game going and Aaron keeps checking out of those run plays. The trouble is that until we balance our offense teams can and will sellout against the pass. You have a back averaging 5+ ypc keep running him until they stop him, which will be when they tighten the Dline(slowing down the pass rush) bring the LBs and safeties up(weakening their coverage and opening up big plays downfield).

Rodgers sure didn't look like he was calling too many audibles to me out there.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
They had over 500 yards of offense. Dont believe Jones not getting touches to be the issue.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If MM wasn't calling more run plays today then he was supremely incompetent. So either it's Aaron checking out of run plays due to his highly competitive nature, he wants the ball in his hands. OR it's MM just being completely incompetent and he has a grasp of football compared to an inexperienced Madden player.

See that second fumble with a shotgun snap and the way Detroit had spread their dline, right there if a run wasn't called the smart play is to check into a run or shovel pass and pick up an easy first down and then some. Instead Rodgers drops back gets sacked and then coughs up the football.

So you think that MMs grasp of play selection is comparable to 12 year old Madden players?

Reaction score
Also I completely disagree with allowing a 57 yard FG try after my kicker can’t stick an extra point and is clearly out of his element.
That’s not the fault of even ONE rookie. That’s 100% on Mike McCarthy and there is not reasonable excuse good enough. Crosby didn’t deserve that I would benched him first.
Oddly I do agree with giving him a shot to shake his monkey in garbage time.

I have been a supporter of MM going way back, but the tide is turning and this season is going to be a huge test for me to see if he’s capable of pulling this team together. It had better get significantly better than the poor first half game plan and sloppiness through 4 quarters in all 3 phases.
I don’t want to see fouls resulting more than around 50 yards range in any game for at least a couple weeks or it had better be someone’s job.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had over 500 yards of offense. Dont believe Jones not getting touches to be the issue.

The issue is efficiency and keeping the opposing defense honest, in particular forcing their Dline to respect the run. They didn't.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If MM wasn't calling more run plays today then he was supremely incompetent. So either it's Aaron checking out of run plays due to his highly competitive nature, he wants the ball in his hands. OR it's MM just being completely incompetent and he has a grasp of football compared to an inexperienced Madden player.

See that second fumble with a shotgun snap and the way Detroit had spread their dline, right there if a run wasn't called the smart play is to check into a run or shovel pass and pick up an easy first down and then some. Instead Rodgers drops back gets sacked and then coughs up the football.

So you think that MMs grasp of play selection is comparable to 12 year old Madden players?

This is true but Rodgers has gotten into a habit of holding on to the ball too long.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we should expect Rodgers to be perfect while everyone else is garbage? 450 yards 3 TDs and put them in enough scoring positions to win the game. Did the same against Minnesota before the kicker blew it. You can't blame him when his teammates are ******** up.

No but we should try to run a more balanced offense to set up more favorable coverages and slow down their pass rush. Look at how spread out Det's line was on that 2nd and 1 sack fumble. There was no, none, nada, zero respect for the run game in that play. Why should anyone, just spread your Dline and T off on Rodgers because the Packers will not run the football. half the people on this board could have taken a handoff in that situation and pick up 5+ yards and a first down against that alignment. Instead we passed and a sack fumble was the result.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The issue is efficiency and keeping the opposing defense honest, in particular forcing their Dline to respect the run. They didn't.

Which brings me back to the main issue of losing turnover battle 0-3 and a debacle playing special teams.

Members online