Midseason Assessment

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers desperately need a deep threat. That makes expending a round one pick on a WR even more imperative. I like Doubs, but he's more of a James Jones type of receiver. What we need is another Jordy Nelson in his prime type of receiver who gets open on deep routes and takes it to the house!

I cannot help but think of a future 2023 Corps that would have MVS still here, with Doubs, Watson, Amari, Toure and Lazard if we somehow managed to keep him as well. I actually LIKE that group especially given a full year of this forged by fire time 2022 seems to be for us. It is a mix of young ascending guys with physical gifts all different, Lazard a security blanket type possession receiver Rodgers trusts, MVS is a guy Rodgers was finally starting to find that touch on deep balls too and MVS was finally starting to click on catching them LOL. Oh what might have been. Toss in a Top 100 draft pick used on a guy that might push Amari or Toure off the active....

oh well not going to be so no sense in wondering what might have been. One good thing about this abysmal year is growing pains are accelerated and we have much quicker readings on guys like Doubs, Toure and even Amari then we might have otherwise.

Reaction score
Packers desperately need a deep threat. That makes expending a round one pick on a WR even more imperative. I like Doubs, but he's more of a James Jones type of receiver. What we need is another Jordy Nelson in his prime type of receiver who gets open on deep routes and takes it to the house!
We will likely be in that top 12 area. If there isn’t as dominant WR or OT left that worth that high pick, I’d trade back about 5-10 spots and go after one in the late teens. In doing so we could pick up a 2nd rounder in the process. That would give us a top 44 top 54, 76 etc.. to address other positions.
I still feel like Watson can be that deep threat if he can just stay on the field. He’s nowhere near his potential and if he gets in semi sync with his QB he’s going to tear up the deep stuff. He should’ve beat Patrick Peterson Snap 1 and instead brought doubt upon himself with our Staff.
If we are sticking with #12 Brian better start thinking about more polished players and sacrifice some long term ceiling. His FO (like most) get star eyed with Combine results which is fun, but it’s to time go after players who will be more polished College prospects rather than long term projects. Doubs was a good stab at that concept.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will likely be in that top 12 area. If there isn’t as dominant WR or OT left that worth that high pick, I’d trade back about 5-10 spots and go after one in the late teens. In doing so we could pick up a 2nd rounder in the process. That would give us a top 44 top 54, 76 etc.. to address other positions.
I still feel like Watson can be that deep threat if he can just stay on the field. He’s nowhere near his potential and if he gets in semi sync with his QB he’s going to tear up the deep stuff.

I 100% agree with this strategy if we end up around there. This is predicted to be a heavy QB friendly draft....could mean that 3rd, 4th or even 5th QB could fall to us and a good trade offer is there. If you cannot get your #1 guy at a position group of Tackle, OLB or WR I'm all for a trade back.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd start by fixing the D by getting rid of Barry, NOT throwing another 1st round pick at the problem. We have very real problems on the offense player-wise. We still need a #1 WR, a TE, and an OT, plus probably a RB somewhere in the draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd start by fixing the D by getting rid of Barry, NOT throwing another 1st round pick at the problem. We have very real problems on the offense player-wise. We still need a #1 WR, a TE, and an OT, plus probably a RB somewhere in the draft.
IMO it would be ignorant to pick a TE or a WR say at #12, if the only top ten ranked player on your board left is an edge or shoot even a Safety....seeing as how we will be just coming off a year where we had three rookie WRs all show some stuff assuming we continue to see the promise of Doubs show up, Watson if he can get healthy and Toure is showing immense promise...I look for us to add a WR in one of our first three picks don't get me wrong...but OLB is a BIG need unless Enagbare shows he's like the second coming of Gary.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers still have a theoretical chance to make the playoffs.

Once the Packers are eliminated I'm fine with them starting Love.

As mentioned above I would prefer the Packers to start Love once they're eliminated from playoff contention. Do you honestly believe three games (or how many end up being played afterwards) are enough to fairly evaluate him to make a decision on exercising the fifth year option though???
If 3 games isn't enough to evaluate him how is less than 3 games enough to call him a bust?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rebuild has begun. While I know they are technically still in the playoff hunt I don't think they are talented offensively enough to make it happen. The remaining schedule for the Packers is pretty daunting. If I'm being optimistic, I say they have three more wins in the Lions twice and the Bears left. Then they win one they shouldn't. Remaining schedule is Lions, Cowboys, Titans, Eagles, Bears, Rams, Dolphins, Vikings and Lions. I'll say the one they shouldn't win will be the Cowboys just for fun. That leaves them at 7-10. If my glass is half empty, which I don't allow in my personal life, I say they win two more. They beat the Lions in one of their matchups and the Bears. The selloff will begin in the offseason, if not a couple guys today.

The oline is nowhere near what we thought it would be. The WRs are worse than I thought they would be and the defense isn't elite. I actually think the defense has held up well enough for the Pack to win games. The O just can't put up points. There is a huge lack of skill players right now. In fact, it's glaring. The only one I see that can make plays is Jones. Maybe a little out of Dillon last game. Anyway, the rebuild that we have dreaded for many years is upon us.

The rebuild started as soon as Adams left and they gave Rodgers $50 mill. A lot of us already knew coming into this season that the wr core was going to be a mess and the o line has holes at at least two of the spots. Cobb being hurt at some point, Watkins being hurt and or not really providing much, and Rodgers not being in sync with the rookies was a guarantee before the year started in my eyes, and ALL 3 things have come to pass. I’m not surprised they are below 500 at all. I just wasn’t expecting it to be 9 games into the season. I said they would finish somewhere around 10-7 well that’s also in jeopardy of being 7-10 or worse. I honestly don’t see where the other 4 wins are going to come from.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rebuild started as soon as Adams left and they gave Rodgers $50 mill.

To be fair these two things disagree so heavily with the concept of "rebuilt" - Adams trade for sure did...Rodgers signing and strapping ourselves to an aging QB near 40 for minimum two more seasons is the OPPOSITE of rebuild.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If 3 games isn't enough to evaluate him how is less than 3 games enough to call him a bust?
I don't think those two things are necessarily in conflict with each other.

On one hand, we're in Love's third season and he's more or less had no impact yet. Maybe there is still a chance that he pans out into a great player (and I hope that is the case) but I don't think it's a huge stretch to call a first round pick with virtually no meaningful minutes in three years a bust. If anything, it's not "He's only played in three games, how is that enough to call him a bust?" but rather "A first round pick who's only played in three games in three years can probably be called a bust until he proves otherwise".

On the other hand we all know that we have to make a decision on Love's ~20m option by May of '23. If he only plays three games this season, is that (combined with what we have seen so far) enough to really get a good idea as to whether or not we should pick up his option? I'd say it's not.

So really it's more like "Love has shown us virtually nothing in three years - why would three more games be enough for us to decide whether to pick up his option or not?"

And I say that as someone who has nothing against Love. It's not the pick I would have made but I understood the reasoning. I hope things work out for him, and I would also hope to see him get some significant minutes this season, but at the same time I don't think it's unfair to put him in the "Bust" camp so far (with the caveat that he could perhaps break out of that at some point) and I don't think it's contradictory to hold that stance while also saying that a few limited games at the end of the year might not be enough to inform our decision on picking up his 5th year option or not.

Crummy spot to be in.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not believe we have played a single solid game even in our 3 wins.
we have not, a nice half here and there, but never from both sides of the ball and never at the same time and at least half to 3/4's of the game is spent floundering around on one side of the ball or the other with some special teams gaffs sprinkled in.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Literally playing behind the league MVP - of course he hasn't had an impact.
Yes, I'm quite aware of his spot in the depth chart, lmao.
That doesn't make the pick less of a waste *at this point*.

Like I said, maybe that can change in the future, but at the moment it's hard to argue otherwise.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Like I said, maybe that can change in the future, but at the moment it's hard to argue otherwise.

No one appeared to be discussing or grading or discussing the pick to me - it is whether or not enough knowledge to pick up an expensive "relatively" 5th year option exists.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one appeared to be discussing or grading or discussing the pick to me - it is whether or not enough knowledge to pick up an expensive "relatively" 5th year option exists.
Go back and re-check the post I quoted, that's exactly what I'm addressing.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it true? Gotta be bs. That Lowry is playing over Wyatt because of his contract. I just cannot understand playing someone only because of his contract. Savage?

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
The rebuild started as soon as Adams left and they gave Rodgers $50 mill. A lot of us already knew coming into this season that the wr core was going to be a mess and the o line has holes at at least two of the spots. Cobb being hurt at some point, Watkins being hurt and or not really providing much, and Rodgers not being in sync with the rookies was a guarantee before the year started in my eyes, and ALL 3 things have come to pass. I’m not surprised they are below 500 at all. I just wasn’t expecting it to be 9 games into the season. I said they would finish somewhere around 10-7 well that’s also in jeopardy of being 7-10 or worse. I honestly don’t see where the other 4 wins are going to come from.
They will get one or two wins by mistake. Wouldn't surprise me if they lost out.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair these two things disagree so heavily with the concept of "rebuilt" - Adams trade for sure did...Rodgers signing and strapping ourselves to an aging QB near 40 for minimum two more seasons is the OPPOSITE of rebuild.

Can’t afford to make any splash moves and you constantly have to keep trying to improve trough the draft. Tbh the Packers have been rebuilding since the SB.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have no problem with you calling the Love pick a wasted pick, I agreed with that the second the pick was made and still feel that way, but I do have an issue with anyone calling him a bust.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s just my opinion but I think something wasn’t right with #12.
It wasn’t like him to miss all those throws. All QB’s have bad days, but there’s more to it than that.

In the past he has similarly done this before when he’s had a newer stable of Receivers. I’ve never seen his concentration and demeanor so off kilter though. Even in interviews he’s almost got a sad mixed with a sentimental demeanor, which isn’t really his personality. Might be something in his personal life idk, but he’s not acting like himself

I’m wondering if he’s contemplating hanging up the cleats or leaving etc.. He’s also being way too nice talking about Gute, which isn’t like him. :laugh:
Maybe those collarbone injures are catching up with him? Arthritis? Maybe all those years of throwing for 4,000 yards wore the arm out? Maybe that one chick from those movies still has his balls in her purse?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Watson is the deep threat

Members online

Latest posts