Midseason Assessment

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a difference a year makes. Hard to believe this is basically the team who won the #1 seed the last two years in the NFC. That was our opportunity, and we blew it. There isn't a group on the team right now without problems, except RB. And even they suffer from the OL.
Our D is basically the same with a couple of rookie additions but it is the offense that is struggling. The OL is banged up and we have no outside threat or anyone to stretch the field. The issue on D is the bigger mystery, frankly. We have talent on that side of the ball. It has to be a coaching problem. I'm seeing improvement on ST but fixing that from the disaster last year is gonna take time.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game could’ve easily been a 1 score loss (and should’ve been) and Rodgers said so himself (not that he’s always right he’s human). The Tonyan TD was a terrible call and it stalled our drive.

We lost and we should’ve played better, but I was responding to someone who said it was the definition of a complete beatdown
(I disagree no matter how bad you try to defend that)

I’ve noticed this increasing culture of Packer fans who take a martyr role. Almost to a point of nausea in some effort to be “fair” they go full opposite extreme. Even some of the NFL analysts recently call Packers fans a bunch of spoiled brats for fans.. I agree with that part for sure the overreaction is all over the map. We’ve had it made as Packer fans and to the point we now take it for granted and I’m sorry if truth hurts some people but get over it!

We lost to a VERY good team. We lost on the ROAD, which is always tougher to begin with. The other team (including Josh Allen himself expressing it publicly) was concerned because he knew what I know and others know, That could easily been for the game 21-27 on the last drive and that’s not a position you want to give Aaron the ball needing 1 play for 10 yards to move into Redzone range with 30+ seconds left.
Another 1 score loss!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to believe how bad we are. Hard to believe we're out of the playoff race at mid-season. Nothing to be done now, free agency, trade deadline all done. Going to have to be a very busy offseason.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Becoming clearer and clearer that Gute has been awful as a GM. Go on, tell me the last elite player (or even consistently above average) he’s drafted since 2019?

Packers shouldn’t have extended Rodgers because Gute did not position this team financially or with the correct personnel to fit over the life of that contract. So instead, the packers just have shoddy offensive skill players, a terrible run blocking offensive line, and a too-expensive QB that needs help on an offense that offers none. Oh, and the offense was sacrificed to spend high draft picks on a defense that’s petty bad. So, mid-season assessment? This team is bad and won’t get better until Gute is gone and these contracts roll off the books in a couple years.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could see the Bills are on another level. But a team like the Packers which has been humbled by the lesser the last month is not going to quit especially considering how many games they won the last 3 seasons. The Bills may have just let up mentally coming off a huge win in KC.
My impression was that the Bills played down to our level. Which is something you see good teams do now and then. They still beat us handily.

Becoming clearer and clearer that Gute has been awful as a GM.
Starting to look that way. And his big signature move was moving up to sign Love, which looks less than impressive so far.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Gute's 2020 draft is the Achilles heel right now. Not that he hasn't made a lot of other bad picks it's just that you can't overcome such a calamitous draft very easily. Time to start Love the rest of the season. The Packers with Rodgers as qb won't be favored to win any games so why not go with Love. Two huge benefits to that move. You see what you have in Love and if he stinks, the Packers will have one of the first three picks in the draft.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My impression was that the Bills played down to our level. Which is something you see good teams do now and then. They still beat us handily.

Starting to look that way. And his big signature move was moving up to sign Love, which looks less than impressive so far.
it's becoming clearer that MFL has also badly mismanaged his coaching staff. From promoting Mo Drayton to hiring Joe Berry, the wirst move IMO was taking a great o line coach and putting him at o coordinator. The o line has badly regressed.

Reaction score
I think Gute's 2020 draft is the Achilles heel right now. Not that he hasn't made a lot of other bad picks it's just that you can't overcome such a calamitous draft very easily. Time to start Love the rest of the season. The Packers with Rodgers as qb won't be favored to win any games so why not go with Love. Two huge benefits to that move. You see what you have in Love and if he stinks, the Packers will have one of the first three picks in the draft.
Amen. Let’s face it. #12 isn’t playing much longer and that’s just something we have to accept. He did kinda get the shaft by not being surrounded by better inventory

It’s time. While there’s probably a lesser chance Love develops into our next franchise QB, it’s time to find out.
I’m very thankful #12 had given us some great years. That time has run it’s course.

I’m not interested in trying to ruin our draft placing in some futile attempt to reach 8-9. Put Love in and give him experience. Then he gets his shot next season and it’s sink or swim.

Stud:

During that game #12 knocked John Elway out as the only QB to be BOTH top 10 Rushing AND Top 10 passing. He’s like 32 yards off of McNabb for 9th All-Time Rushing.

What a great landmark for an exceptional athlete. It’s time to prepare for post #12 I thank him for the memories

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Some say signature move is signing a qb to 50 million contract

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like it could be serious injuries forJones, Stokes, Gary and Doubs.
I hate to say it but I think Bahk is done. Two years later and he can't get through a week or a game without the knee acting up on him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like it could be serious injuries forJones, Stokes, Gary and Doubs.
I hate to say it but I think Bahk is done. Two years later and he can't get through a week or a game without the knee acting up on him.
But maybe he can play slot receiver.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we could have seen the future, trading Rodgers, Adams and Alexander and getting a boatload of pics in 2022/2023 and maybe some in 2024 would have been the right call. Could see what they have in Love and if not the answer, could have been in a position to draft a QB this year.

Too many contracts that are just albatrosses at this point. Going to be years to get out from underneath the cap mess.

Even if Love is the answer, they will never have the luxury of having him on a rookie contract.

Reaction score
If we could have seen the future, trading Rodgers, Adams and Alexander and getting a boatload of pics in 2022/2023 and maybe some in 2024 would have been the right call. Could see what they have in Love and if not the answer, could have been in a position to draft a QB this year.

Too many contracts that are just albatrosses at this point. Going to be years to get out from underneath the cap mess.

Even if Love is the answer, they will never have the luxury of having him on a rookie contract.
he’s not going to get a substantial paycheck until he performs adequately. It’s likely we could have him on a shorter term deal at minimal $ (comparatively) on his second contract. Maybe not $3.3M but possible ~$10/yr etc.. for a couple seasons, which is peanuts.
$$ is not really not as much of a concern as him excelling or not.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are 3-5 and 8 games into this disappointing season. Here are some thoughts/questions.

1. The offensive line is the biggest factor rendering this offense and passing game ineffective. It's stunning how poorly they've played. There are the obvious injury factors to consider. One also wonders if they miss Stenavich in the OL Coach role. Until they improve, the offense will not make serious strides.

2. The pass catching options are not the root cause of the passing woes, but they exacerbate it. Just as a good secondary can make a defensive front look good by covering longer and forcing a QB to hold the ball, so good receivers can make an offensive front look good by getting open quickly and allowing the QB to get rid of the ball.

3. Rodgers is showing some signs this year of both decline (albeit not major) and his old tendencies of cowboying the offensive gameplan.

4. The defense has been, by far, the biggest disappointment on the year. They play soft, stupid football. They clearly are not being coached well. There are zero excuses. The personnel ingredients are all there. This is made a more bitter pill by the fact that the other candidate for the job, Ejiro Evero, is coaching a lesser group into the #2 scoring defense in the league.

5. Despite everything, if the offensive line can improve over the back half, I still think it's in the realm of possibility that the Packers make a push towards double digit wins and get in the mix for a WC spot.
In the words of Little Feat - Don’t bogart that joint my friend

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

“We” did see it. Plain as the nose on your face. We gave $250 Million to an Ego maniacal prima donna who (at the presser right after he blew ANOTHER playoff game we/he should have won “I have no interest in being part of a rebuild in Green Bay” => if that petulant spoiled brat proclaimation didn’t peg the SELL HIGH meter I don’t know what would. Green Bay as an organization TOTALLY deserves the long long (multi year) winter that is coming. Sad

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well of course you're right-- if that continue to play as they have.

But as I said in the original post, any sort of scenario where they push to go ~7-2 the rest of the way would have to start with a lot of improvement in play.
Any scenario where they go 7-2 the rest of the way would have to involve MULTIPLE catastrophic air crashes involving team charters of their opponents - highly unlikely

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but possible ~$10/yr etc.. for a couple seasons, which is peanuts.

Can't imagine him signing for any significant contract length at $10M. Maybe if they decline the 5th year option they get him on a 1 year deal instead, but if I'm Love I gamble on myself.

They really are in no man's land with him. You can't pickup that 5th year option at $19M so, really 2023 is his last year. Rodgers moves on, Love plays in 2023 and plays well then he will command more than $10M in 2024

D

Deleted member 6794

Hard to believe how bad we are. Hard to believe we're out of the playoff race at mid-season.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect the Packers to get anywhere close to making the playoffs but at this point they're only 1 1/2 games out of the last wild card spot.

Time to start Love the rest of the season. The Packers with Rodgers as qb won't be favored to win any games so why not go with Love. Two huge benefits to that move. You see what you have in Love and if he stinks, the Packers will have one of the first three picks in the draft.

There's one huge issue with starting Love though. Rodgers is under contract with close to $60 million fully guaranteed if he doesn't retire. The Packers definitely don't want to **** off their franchise quarterback considering that.

It's possible to get out of cap issues in a single season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't imagine him signing for any significant contract length at $10M. Maybe if they decline the 5th year option they get him on a 1 year deal instead, but if I'm Love I gamble on myself.

They really are in no man's land with him. You can't pickup that 5th year option at $19M so, really 2023 is his last year. Rodgers moves on, Love plays in 2023 and plays well then he will command more than $10M in 2024
I'm thinking we will get a good look at Love before the contract expires. And if he shows promise; he will probably want some money. Thing is, it is tough to really know what you have right away. There have been a lot of QBs who played well to begin with and ended up... And some like Rodgers who showed he had the arm but did not have a good record. Favre too.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“We” did see it. Plain as the nose on your face. We gave $250 Million to an Ego maniacal prima donna who (at the presser right after he blew ANOTHER playoff game we/he should have won “I have no interest in being part of a rebuild in Green Bay” => if that petulant spoiled brat proclaimation didn’t peg the SELL HIGH meter I don’t know what would. Green Bay as an organization TOTALLY deserves the long long (multi year) winter that is coming. Sad

You forgot the two MVP seasons and his amazing play; but sure, keep believing he's a bad QB. Also, as I've pointed out before, a great QB is a GM's best friend; they paper over most poor personnel choices the GM makes. So, don't think of the massive contract as just Rodgers' contract, think of it as a contract for a QB as well as job security for Gute!

Latest posts