Melvin Gordon to Greenbay at #30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Currently the Packers have 3 key positions on defense to fill: NT, ILB and DB. We are returning all 11 starters of a VERY good offense. So any talk of using a first or second round pick on an offensive player is way out there, IMO.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to believe there will be players that can help us and be worthy of their draft pick at #30 and even in to the second round that will be on the defensive side of the ball. Should the Packers use the #30 on on a Receiver or RB like Gordon, I guess I'll trust that Ted and Mike know what they're doing. I'll be scratching my head though trying to figure it out.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of right now the defense has huge holes at NT, ILB and possibly at CB. Thompson won´t address all of these needs in free agency so drafting a RB to probably be the third guy on the depth chart is kind of silly.
Huge holes? Are we really going to miss Hawk? House? I think we will have both Raji and Guion back.

This defense looked very good towards the end of the season. We will have the same defense except for a fast declining Hawk and a 4th strung CB. We have a choice right now on Raji and Guion as it looks like he wont be going to prison. On the plus side, Haha was inproving each game and he may be a rising star next year. Barrington looked pretty good and still has a bunch of upside. A few others, Jones, Perry, and Boyd all looked like they were taking a step forward.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Already a tough situation figuring out what to do at ILB and NT. Doesn't make much sense to use a pick on a RB.
Did it make sense at the t ime to draft Jordy? Would you have preferd an average OT or OG - big needs at the time?

We may have been a little better the next year if we drafted a need pick, but in the long run we are a much better team by taking BPA regardless of position.

I hope we draft an impact defensive player, we need more talent there. But i would be happy if we land a stud like Gordon. You just cant pass on playmakers like that. Who knows if TT even likes Gordon, and this convo is moot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As of TODAY, right now...our needs are glaring....NT, ILB and CB. What happens between today and draft day could change that. But if the draft were today and the Packers selected Gordon (not to trade) with their #30 pick......I think all of us would have our jaws dropped over the selection. So lets debate drafting Gordon as draft day approaches, but right now, it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all about taking guys at the top of the board and matching need. If Gordon is at 30 and far and away the best guy in the board, take him or move down since he's not a need.

If he's closely rated to an ILB or NT, take the ILB or NT.

Fans in general tend to put too much weight on need.

D

Deleted member 6794

Huge holes? Are we really going to miss Hawk? House? I think we will have both Raji and Guion back.

This defense looked very good towards the end of the season. We will have the same defense except for a fast declining Hawk and a 4th strung CB. We have a choice right now on Raji and Guion as it looks like he wont be going to prison. On the plus side, Haha was inproving each game and he may be a rising star next year. Barrington looked pretty good and still has a bunch of upside. A few others, Jones, Perry, and Boyd all looked like they were taking a step forward.

As of right now Mike Pennel is the only NT on the roster, Sam Barrington the only guy who has started a game at ILB and even if Hayward is capable of playing outside (which is a question mark IMO) the dime cornerback would either be Demetri Goodson or Tay Glover-Wright.

It all depends on what happens in free agency but as of now there are huge holes on the defensive side of the ball. If Thompson doesn't either re-sign some of our own free agents or brings in someone from the outside taking a RB with the first round pick would be insane, especially as we return all 11 starters (with none if them showing any signs of declining) from last season when we led the league in scoring.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of right now Mike Pennel is the only NT on the roster, Sam Barrington the only guy who has started a game at ILB and even if Hayward is capable of playing outside (which is a question mark IMO) the dime cornerback would either be Demetri Goodson or Tay Glover-Wright.

It all depends on what happens in free agency but as of now there are huge holes on the defensive side of the ball. If Thompson doesn't either re-sign some of our own free agents or brings in someone from the outside taking a RB with the first round pick would be insane, especially as we return all 11 starters (with none if them showing any signs of declining) from last season when we led the league in scoring.

Taking Cobb 2nd round could have been considered insane at the time too considering we were four deep at receiver. Even if you consider Driver was getting old, we were still three deep then.

If Gordons by far the best guy, take him or trade down.

I will add that trying to make a trade down should be a priority in this case.

Leather&Lacy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a Packers fan, but not a Badgers fan, so I find it amusing how so many Packer fans get excited about the possibility of the Packers drafting Badger players. I swear some of them just wish the team was full of Badgers without realizing the Packers would probably suck if that was the case :). True homerism.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm a Packers fan, but not a Badgers fan, so I find it amusing how so many Packer fans get excited about the possibility of the Packers drafting Badger players. I swear some of them just wish the team was full of Badgers without realizing the Packers would probably suck if that was the case :). True homerism.

Obviously talk of drafting any Badger will do that, but its a subject that was referred to many times in this thread :D

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It would be filled with pro bowlers and mvp candidates

D

Deleted member 6794

Taking Cobb 2nd round could have been considered insane at the time too considering we were four deep at receiver. Even if you consider Driver was getting old, we were still three deep then.

If Gordons by far the best guy, take him or trade down.

I will add that trying to make a trade down should be a priority in this case.

The situation in 2011 was way different though. The Packers came off a Super Bowl win with no glaring needs to fill in the draft and got 16 guys back from injured reserve.

Lacy has developed into a reliable three down back and drafting Gordon doesn't do anything to improve the team. I will continue to stand by calling it an insane idea.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Murray leaving Dallas, I think Dallas will draft a RB in round 1 now. Probably Gordon. So this thread is moot either way, LOL

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the Captain. No way they draft a RB in the first round. Our needs are on the defensive side of the ball. If TT feels he needs to trade down for defensive value he will but I am 99% sure we are going defense with our first pick. Our offense is intact and deadly no need to go their early.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wisconsin rb's are good because of their OL. when was the last time any Wis rb did well in the NFL? Gordon will be drafted, but don't expect much from him, just ask Monte Ball

I disagree completely here, for the record, I do not believe for a second that the Packers should pick Gordon, however, in all my years of watching Badger football, Gordon is the very 1st back they have ever had that I believed would be an excellent NFL running back. I firmly believe he will be an all pro RB for someone in the NFL within his first few years.

He has the rare ability to hit small holes, make people miss in the hole and gain 6-7 yards when most RB's would have gotten 3 and that is what makes him stand out vs all other Badger RB's of the past. Yes we all know the Badger OL is able to man up and create amazing space for their RB's but they don't do it on every single play and Gordon still had the ability to quite often pick up those 7 yards in a crowd.

Only time will tell for sure but I truly believe he will be an excellent RB in the NFL.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Murray leaving Dallas, I think Dallas will draft a RB in round 1 now. Probably Gordon. So this thread is moot either way, LOL

Absolutely agree, if Gordon is available at 27 when the Cowboys pick, there is no chance he is available at 30 when the Packers pick anyway. Gordon and Murray have very similar running styles and I highly doubt Jones would pass him up.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 pages even discussing this??? Seriously????

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep.

I would actually be proactive about this, trade up, jump in front of the cowboys, then draft Gordon, simply to trade him to the cowboys.

That's how little of a chance this occurs, or should occur.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
4 pages even discussing this??? Seriously????
Yes, my double secret sources have found out that Eli Haugen was not serious about this but was going for the record for 'disagrees' on an OP. Nine and counting... Feel free to help out! :D

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, my double secret sources have found out that Eli Haugen was not serious about this but was going for the record for 'disagrees' on an OP. Nine and counting... Feel free to help out! :D
I consider it a sign of a good idea, WAY outside the box... Realistic. He would have to slip to the second round like Lacy did, for us to get him. That could happen too.
Hindsight, I bet TT would trade up in the first round to go get Lacy, if he knew then what he knows now. In the olden days, great RBs like Lacy and Gordon wouldnt have made it out of top 10. So getting a great RB at #30 isnt really that big of a stretch.

I just wanted to fully dive into the idea of a long term 2nd head for our double headed monster run game. I think I made some good points. What triggered this whole idea, besides Gordons speed. What seeing both Kuhn and Harris as free agents... If there was going to be a move made. Now would be the time. We got a young #1. We got a very good, low miles veteran #2. and total freedom to build our run game to have..... well, everything.... For a long time.

When we spread Nelson, Cobb, Adams out there. And a bull like Rodgers who looks like an left tackle who watches his weight, and goes up like Shaq daddy to get the ball. RAHHH!!!!!!!! A helping hand for our 5 star O-line who is in charge of protecting our All-world MVP field general........... You notice I didnt even mention Lacy or Gordon yet? Lacy and who ever GB uses to back him up this year, will be facing paper thin defenses.We dominated a world class defense like Seattle in the NFC championship game, and broke their two best players. their coveted legion of boom, with our beastly RB and Cobb stuck Thomas! I wont mention the attempted murder of their QB by a Mr. Clay Mathews III. Whoops :) But back to Lacy having a speedy counterpart who is just as great(possibly). But in a different way. Less beast mode, more greased lightning. In a changing NFL, you cant bring the same game plan back the next year and expect same results. Carrol is probably watching GB tape as we speak. Bringing in speed like Janis, and say Gordon... Changes EVERYTHING!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

He just might if he feels slighted by the vikings.

First of all the Vikings would have to be willing to trade him as he´s still under contract with them through 2017.

I consider it a sign of a good idea, WAY outside the box... Realistic. He would have to slip to the second round like Lacy did, for us to get him. That could happen too.
Hindsight, I bet TT would trade up in the first round to go get Lacy, if he knew then what he knows now. In the olden days, great RBs like Lacy and Gordon wouldnt have made it out of top 10. So getting a great RB at #30 isnt really that big of a stretch.

I just wanted to fully dive into the idea of a long term 2nd head for our double headed monster run game. I think I made some good points. What triggered this whole idea, besides Gordons speed. What seeing both Kuhn and Harris as free agents... If there was going to be a move made. Now would be the time. We got a young #1. We got a very good, low miles veteran #2. and total freedom to build our run game to have..... well, everything.... For a long time.

When we spread Nelson, Cobb, Adams out there. And a bull like Rodgers who looks like an left tackle who watches his weight, and goes up like Shaq daddy to get the ball. RAHHH!!!!!!!! A helping hand for our 5 star O-line who is in charge of protecting our All-world MVP field general........... You notice I didnt even mention Lacy or Gordon yet? Lacy and who ever GB uses to back him up this year, will be facing paper thin defenses.We dominated a world class defense like Seattle in the NFC championship game, and broke their two best players. their coveted legion of boom, with our beastly RB and Cobb stuck Thomas! I wont mention the attempted murder of their QB by a Mr. Clay Mathews III. Whoops :) But back to Lacy having a speedy counterpart who is just as great(possibly). But in a different way. Less beast mode, more greased lightning. In a changing NFL, you cant bring the same game plan back the next year and expect same results. Carrol is probably watching GB tape as we speak. Bringing in speed like Janis, and say Gordon... Changes EVERYTHING!!!

It was a way different situation during the 2013 draft as the Packers just finished 20th in rushing with Alex Green leading the way with 464 yards.

Once again the Packers return all starters on offense and led the league in scoring last season while having glaring needs on the defensive side of the ball. There´s absolutely no need to draft a RB in the first or second round.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I consider it a sign of a good idea, WAY outside the box... Realistic. He would have to slip to the second round like Lacy did, for us to get him. That could happen too. ... So getting a great RB at #30 isnt really that big of a stretch.
So which is it? Would Gordon have to slip to #62 for the Packers to take him, or are you going to ‘laugh your rear off when we pick him at #30’?
We dominated a world class defense like Seattle in the NFC championship game...
You post we dominated Seattle’s world class defense and
the Packers return all starters on offense and led the league in scoring last season while having glaring needs on the defensive side of the ball. There´s absolutely no need to draft a RB in the first or second round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts