New opportunities at tight end

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a big thread starter - but I've been thinking a lot and watching every game closely more than once this season, and I'd like to plant a flag that something new is potentially on our plate by next season. (I'm also trying to keep myself at srm's length from the JOEBARRY rage that wells up in me weekly, and pushing myself to focus on the many positives in our sights).

I believe that the combo of Luke Musgrave, Tucker Kraft, and Matt Lafleur (if he's as genuinely creative as my most optimistic self hopes) could produce an offensive identity, operating underneath a devloping WR corps, that is exciting and not something we've seen as green bay fans in my lifetime: if these dudes can keep developing and producing, and really get motivated/skilled as blockers, they can be schemed to become a ****ing PROBLEM. Which will be on MLF.

Anyway, this thread may serve as comedy, tragedy, or prophecy, it's outta our hands.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a big thread starter - but I've been thinking a lot and watching every game closely more than once this season, and I'd like to plant a flag that something new is potentially on our plate by next season. (I'm also trying to keep myself at srm's length from the JOEBARRY rage that wells up in me weekly, and pushing myself to focus on the many positives in our sights).

I believe that the combo of Luke Musgrave, Tucker Kraft, and Matt Lafleur (if he's as genuinely creative as my most optimistic self hopes) could produce an offensive identity, operating underneath a devloping WR corps, that is exciting and not something we've seen as green bay fans in my lifetime: if these dudes can keep developing and producing, and really get motivated/skilled as blockers, they can be schemed to become a ****ing PROBLEM. Which will be on MLF.

Anyway, this thread may serve as comedy, tragedy, or prophecy, it's outta our hands.
This scares me because there is more NFL experience in that WR room than there is in the TE room.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truthfully Musgraves injury was the thing Kraft seemed to need - his blocking, routes and natural movements within the defensive play calls since have increased a ton. Beginning of the year I swear he couldn’t block a dude that was on the ground and not getting up, now even in losing reps he is in the right spot and even a lost block engagement often times is long enough for something to happen still.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What about Ben Simms?

OP
OP
Don Barclay

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are just showing things that look flat out different to me. Like they each may be able to fully translate athleticism and understanding at the same time, as a duo. That just feels like something I haven't seen at TE ever in GB, and I'm aware there's a lot of optimism in my vision here, but I believe it's warranted optimism at least.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wrong, the discussion of the post was experience and Poppa was absolutely correct.
But what experience does he have? I don't know that we need someone to teach the TEs or any other position for that matter how to sit on the bench for 5 years and screw up damn near every time you're on the field.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are just showing things that look flat out different to me. Like they each may be able to fully translate athleticism and understanding at the same time, as a duo. That just feels like something I haven't seen at TE ever in GB, and I'm aware there's a lot of optimism in my vision here, but I believe it's warranted optimism at least.
I would say the '96 season for at least the last 8 or so games of the year GB had it when they had Keith Jackson (Who finally decided to report when Green Bay was like 8-2) and Mark Chmura.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
But what experience does he have? I don't know that we need someone to teach the TEs or any other position for that matter how to sit on the bench for 5 years and screw up damn near every time you're on the field.
The statement was that there wasno experience in the TE room. Sitting on the bench or practicing, whether a star or one step above the water boy, still counts. btw your signature has an error as diamonds, contrary to the statement, don't last forever as they are susceptible to proton decay just like every other substance in the universe. :whistling:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say the '96 season for at least the last 8 or so games of the year GB had it when they had Keith Jackson (Who finally decided to report when Green Bay was like 8-2) and Mark Chmura.
So true. Actually, Jackson arrived in mid-season 1995. Having him all of 1996 made a difference in the offense especially after injuries hit us on the offense that year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That wasn’t the topic of the discussion though, the discussion was experience and Poppa was 100% correct.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretend ignorance is still ignorance….

This doesn’t mean Deguara is some decorated vet folks…
DeGuara will be run off the roster after the season. The team will go with the younger athletic group. DeGuara never figured much in the offense even before these guys were here. He cannot block like Big Dog nor can he get downfield like Tonyan did.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The statement was that there wasno experience in the TE room. Sitting on the bench or practicing, whether a star or one step above the water boy, still counts. btw your signature has an error as diamonds, contrary to the statement, don't last forever as they are susceptible to proton decay just like every other substance in the universe. :whistling:
Tell ya what I'll DM you Natch's twitter handle and YOU can tell him :D

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over his career with the Packers, DeGuara has been used primarily as a blocker who is capable of catching the football. For too long, we had guys who could catch the ball and couldn't block, or guys who couldn't do either. If a person looks at stats, and says he's had no value, it's like saying that Elgton Jenkins should be cut at the end of this year because he has no yards rushing, or pass receiving. Sometimes a person's role on a team is a little obscure. Josiah is one of them.

Now, that doesn't mean I think he's a great TE. Not in the slightest. But he does have the ability to make those blocks, and he's out there on nearly 20% of the offensive snaps. He also is a big time contributor on special teams.

Look at his snap counts and you'll see he's more into the game than people see from their couches.

OP
OP
Don Barclay

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over his career with the Packers, DeGuara has been used primarily as a blocker who is capable of catching the football. For too long, we had guys who could catch the ball and couldn't block, or guys who couldn't do either. If a person looks at stats, and says he's had no value, it's like saying that Elgton Jenkins should be cut at the end of this year because he has no yards rushing, or pass receiving. Sometimes a person's role on a team is a little obscure. Josiah is one of them.

Now, that doesn't mean I think he's a great TE. Not in the slightest. But he does have the ability to make those blocks, and he's out there on nearly 20% of the offensive snaps. He also is a big time contributor on special teams
Your point on his usage is totally valid. However, his ability to make the blocks he's asked to make is inconsistent at best, and it's infuriating how often he completely blows his assignment. I will be thrilled when he is gone, with no personal hatred or bitterness - I just think he isn't competent.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your point on his usage is totally valid. However, his ability to make the blocks he's asked to make is inconsistent at best, and it's infuriating how often he completely blows his assignment. I will be thrilled when he is gone, with no personal hatred or bitterness - I just think he isn't competent.
You're right about him blowing a lot of plays. The sad part is that for a while now, he's been the better blockers we had at the position. Meanwhile, the organization kept on bringing in guys of the FA wire, never investing in someone who could give them years of service at the position. We need to see either Kraft or Musgrave step up and be our version of Kelce.

Members online

Latest posts