Melvin Gordon to Greenbay at #30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im thinking his "slow" 40 time might get teams that were looking at his speed, to pass in the first round. But if he were to slip to #30, would,,, Or better yet COULD greenbay justify and make that pick work?

First of all, Gordons speed is not questioned here in Wisconsin... Lets get that straight. He will flat out burn anyone out there.

Second, we have DuJuan Harris a free agent. So a RB spot is open. To add to that, Starks is 29 years old himself. Low miles on Starks though.

Third. Thompson loves to stock up at a position, to leverage contract negotiations. This is theory of mine. You could look at it as Thompson drafts replacments, before they become to valuable... Like when Finley broke out. Thompson knew Finley was going to ask for the world. So he drafted Quarless, and 2 more the year after I believe. Lacy is in the same position. Lacy broke out, and he is standing alone with Starks as our only RBs right now...

Fourth, Lacy wont be rumblin' bumblin' stumblin' and spinnin' for long if he has to carry the ball 300 times and catch 50 balls a year. Get him a lightning , to his thunder... Spread the carries around without a drop off in talent.

Fifth. Thompson and McCarthy like their TEs. The league is learning that 2 dominant TEs can run and pass with the same personel. I think we are going to make the transition to finding a TE that can play FB if we absolutely have to have one. and getting Kuhn's roster spot and salary back... This gives us another TE to put on the roster full time. and makes the 3 RB spots important to keep full of dependable, high quality talent. Lacy, Starks(29 years old) and nobody else.... Could be Melvin Gordon.

Melvin Gordon resembles Starks running style. big, tough. Very fast top end speed.

I think we draft Gordon, and move him around. No reason we cant have Gordon on the field same time as Lacy, Nelson,Cobb,Adams. In fact thats a good idea, considering theres 3 players who can flat out run the ball. (Lacy, Cobb, Gordon)... Gordon keeping Lacy fresh is a great thought as well. You think Lacy wears guys down in the 4th quarter. Lets see what a fresher Lacy does to guys in the 4th quarter in Feb!!!

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to address ILB and potentially CB in the early rounds. I see no way that we draft a RB in the 1st round with holes at CB and ILB.......

Now I can see us drafting a RB in round 4 or 5...but not round 1, no way.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
For his sake I hope he doesn't fall to #30 but if he does I would love for a team desperate for a RB to overpay to grab him at the Packers' spot.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
For his sake I hope he doesn't fall to #30 but if he does I would love for a team desperate for a RB to overpay to grab him at the Packers' spot.
I would love to see this happen. Jax at 35 , St Louis at 42 might be potential suitors in this scenario.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy who will be our 2nd or 3rd RB with our 1st round pick? After we've already retained our other offensive FAs? What a waste of a pick.

I agree with the previous 2, if he happens to fall that far and someone gets greedy, by all means, let them overpay us to trade down.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do you people not see the situation we are in with Lacy? He is already going to get paid big time. But if we dont find another legit RB, he will be able to name his price. Thompson wont let that happen, IMO.

Plus, with Starks 29 years old now. Kuhn and Harris unsigned. Who is going to run the ball if (God forbid) Lacy were to go down?

We need a RB (or two if you consider FB) Why not a volitile, versatile, big play guy like Gordon?

Its #30 Overall. not top 10?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do you people not see the situation we are in with Lacy? He is already going to get paid big time. But if we dont find another legit RB, he will be able to name his price. Thompson wont let that happen, IMO.

Plus, with Starks 29 years old now. Kuhn and Harris unsigned. Who is going to run the ball if (God forbid) Lacy were to go down?

We need a RB (or two if you consider FB) Why not a volitile, versatile, big play guy like Gordon?

Its #30 Overall. not top 10?

You seriously want us to use our 1st round pick on a player who will come into camp as the #3 RB?

Going with the Matt Millen plan at rb I see

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
got your badger blinders on i see
I assumed that Gordons speed would never slip to us. Its game breaking. But with his respectively BAD 40 time... It could happen where Gordon slips to #30.

Even without my Red colored glasses, I can see Gordon almost beat Barry Sanders college record...

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You seriously want us to use our 1st round pick on a player who will come into camp as the #3 RB?

Going with the Matt Millen plan at rb I see
As violent as Lacy runs. Its not if he gets hurt. Its when... Say Lacy busts an ankle week 1??? Starks and a late round rookie left to carry the load? Another superbowl season on the rocks...

Who is going to legitimately justify a time share with Lacy? Gordon! Thats who.
How do you make this offense better? More speed. aka Gordon.
Spread him out wide... Put Lacy at FB, and have thunder/lightning on field at same time.

Pound it with Lacy, and put flash Gordon in there for the change up.

I want to see it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As violent as Lacy runs. Its not if he gets hurt. Its when... Say Lacy busts an ankle week 1??? Starks and a late round rookie left to carry the load? Another superbowl season on the rocks...

Spread him out wide... Put Lacy at FB, and have thunder/lightning on field at same time.

I want to see it.
We won a SB with brandon Jackson at RB.
The following season with James Starks we had the best offensive season in Packers history.

Next season does not depend on drafting Melvin Gordon.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I
I can't see Gordon being signed and Lacy at FB.
I just mean we could have Lacy and Gordon on the field at the same time. Only reason to call Lacy a fullback is because he is 2 halfbacks in one. :) But yea. Put Lacy in front of Gordon. side by side. move them around. Send Lacy out? Or Send Gordon out? Will Lacy pound it? Or will Gordon burn their rears on the edge?

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won a SB with brandon Jackson at RB.
The following season with James Starks we had the best offensive season in Packers history.

Next season does not depend on drafting Melvin Gordon.
All true. But tell me having Lacy isnt nice... Once we got a 1st round RB talent (Lacy) we now dominate. You want greatness, you have to invest...most the time. Gordon is very very fast. a weapon that has to be accounted for... I want him in green and gold.

Add Janis... and we have deadly speed in Gordon, Cobb/Janis. And pure power in Lacy. With a Nelson/Adams.

If we dont get Gordon. We still get to look forward to seeing Janis's speed in 2015 at least. But as stated. Flash Gordon should be clad in Gold/Green. My firm belief.:)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All true. But tell me having Lacy isnt nice... Once we got a 1st round RB talent (Lacy) we now dominate. You want greatness, you have to invest...most the time. Gordon is very very fast. a weapon that has to be accounted for... I want him in green and gold.

Add Janis... and we have deadly speed in Gordon, Cobb/Janis. And pure power in Lacy. With a Nelson/Adams.

If we dont get Gordon. We still get to look forward to seeing Janis's speed in 2015 at least. But as stated. Flash Gordon should be clad in Gold/Green. My firm belief.:)
we dominated in 2011 with little to no running game.
Having Lacy is nice, but not needed for this offense to excel.
Gordon isnt that fast for an NFL RB. I dont think that matters that much, but he isnt what most would call fast in relative terms of NFL rbs.

Let me guess, youre a big Badger fan...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I want to see it.

What if Rodgers goes down 1st week?

Nelson? Cobb?

Might as well trade up to every top 5 picks

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Rodgers goes down 1st week?

Nelson? Cobb?

Might as well trade up to every top 5 picks

If Rodgers goes down we are actually screwed (yes even if we had the best back up QB in the league).

Lacy goes down and the offense still is scary great.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, you're going to have to hope Janis gets more PT in 2015, because there is no chance of Gordon ending up in Green Bay this year.

There is only so much ball to go around. We have actual needs, we don't need to use our 1st round pick on insurance for Lacy. I feel like fans are writing a new offensive game plan for us in 2015 in which Nelson, Cobb, Lacy, Gordon, and Andre Johnson are touching the ball on every play.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we dominated in 2011 with little to no running game.
Having Lacy is nice, but not needed for this offense to excel.
Gordon isnt that fast for an NFL RB. I dont think that matters that much, but he isnt what most would call fast in relative terms of NFL rbs.

Let me guess, youre a big Badger fan...
And what happened that in 2011 wise guy? I'll remind you. Good defenses tee'd off on our pass game and destroyed us... And when we won the superbowl, Starks was running great. That whole superbowl was a miracle. We shouldnt have even made the playoffs.
and not a huge badgers faN. seen enough to see Gordon dominate. speeeeeeed. you all will see. where ever he goes.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now we have 2 rbs on the roster, that i heard of. lacy/starks..... we need a rb... why not get one that counts?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And what happened that in 2011 wise guy? I'll remind you. Good defenses tee'd off on our pass game and destroyed us... And when we won the superbowl, Starks was running great. That whole superbowl was a miracle. We shouldnt have even made the playoffs.
and not a huge badgers faN. seen enough to see Gordon dominate. speeeeeeed. you all will see. where ever he goes.

Historically dominate offenses get beat in the playoffs every time. you are grasping straws. You said we would dominate if we got Gordon, even though its clear we dominate with or without a running game.

Good luck with your matt millen plan of success. Sorry, a 3rd string RB isnt what we need this team to draft in the 1st round. I think you need to take a look at our depth chart for a bit of a reality check. D line is needed, LBer is needed, at the moment a corner or 2 is needed, and a TE is waaaaaaaay more important than a 3rd string RB.

Does anyone else agree with you? I mean your best argument is "What if Lacy gets hurt?" Ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers had the highest scoring offense in the league last season and will return all 11 starters on that side of the ball. There is absolutely no need to draft a RB in the first round as this team has way more pressing needs on the defense. In addition Rajion Neal was impressive during camp last season before a knee injury ended his chances of moving ahead of DuJuan Harris on the depth chart, I expect him to make a run for being the third RB on the 53.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now we have 2 rbs on the roster, that i heard of. lacy/starks..... we need a rb... why not get one that counts?

No, No, No, No, No...

No.

For so many reasons. Even if he winds up a Hall of Famer, you simply dont take him for the Packers here. It would be a wasted draft pick. Why not go after a QB in the first, or a WR?

Because it is not a need. You could make a case for almost every other position in the 1st this year, with exception of those 3 spots, Kicker, and Punter.

Are we going to continue to discuss these completely not going to happen "what ifs" for the next few months?

I get we are on a forum, but some of these are amazing. Why not start a "lets trade up for Marcus Mariota" thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.