Melvin Gordon to Greenbay at #30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As violent as Lacy runs. Its not if he gets hurt. Its when... Say Lacy busts an ankle week 1??? Starks and a late round rookie left to carry the load? Another superbowl season on the rocks...

Who is going to legitimately justify a time share with Lacy? Gordon! Thats who.
How do you make this offense better? More speed. aka Gordon.
Spread him out wide... Put Lacy at FB, and have thunder/lightning on field at same time.

Pound it with Lacy, and put flash Gordon in there for the change up.

I want to see it.
What if AR goes down again? Shouldnt we trade up for Marcus Mariota just to be safe? Plus with all that reckless abandon AR plays with, its bound to happen that he gets hurt again. Lets not forget he is no sping chicken either.

Plus, not having another competent QB on the roster to push him, he is simply going to DEMAND a giant payday when his contract comes up.

Definitely should make a play for Marcus Mariota in the first...:tup::tup::tup::poop::poop::poop:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For his sake I hope he doesn't fall to #30 but if he does I would love for a team desperate for a RB to overpay to grab him at the Packers' spot.

Yup, if someone plummets down the draft that isn't a CB or ILB I see it as perfect chance for TT to wheel and deal not draft whomever it is.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now we have 2 rbs on the roster, that i heard of. lacy/starks..... we need a rb... why not get one that counts?

Because our 'need' for a RB is not even close to our immediate needs for a DT, ILB, and now CB.

We're already a top offense, with or without Gordon. We're one play away from the Super Bowl last year and you want to use our most valuable draft pick to make a pick that offers almost no impact on improving our overall team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait...we should draft a RB....Colts should draft a QB in 1st....Jets should draft a starting CB in 1st......Dolphins should draft a starting DL in 1st........

.....seriously sometimes I wonder about some people.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eddie Lacy is a top 5 RB in the NFL. We do not need a RB other than depth purposes. Also, I'm excited about Rajon Neal anyway...I don't know about anyone else, but Neal looked good before his injury last preseason. If Neal stays healthy, he's our 3rd RB next year most likely. Hell, he might even push Starks to be Lacy's primary backup for all we know.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is here for 2 seasons more, right?

We need a ILB and CB much more, simple as.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I

I just mean we could have Lacy and Gordon on the field at the same time. Only reason to call Lacy a fullback is because he is 2 halfbacks in one. :) But yea. Put Lacy in front of Gordon. side by side. move them around. Send Lacy out? Or Send Gordon out? Will Lacy pound it? Or will Gordon burn their rears on the edge?

Everybody says it would be great to put this back and that back together in the backfield and wreak havoc but but teams hardly ever seem to do it and the Packers almost never seem to do it. Hell half he time we go empty backfield so I don't see our strategy changing just because we might have the chance to draft a Badger that most Wisconsin fans are probably ranking higher than many GMs. I'm not saying Gordon isn't a talent, he is, but I'd be willing to bet 99% of the Badger fans that want to see us draft him wouldn't be saying that if he had been a Buckeye or a Gopher and had put up identical numbers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, you're going to have to hope Janis gets more PT in 2015, because there is no chance of Gordon ending up in Green Bay this year.

There is only so much ball to go around. We have actual needs, we don't need to use our 1st round pick on insurance for Lacy. I feel like fans are writing a new offensive game plan for us in 2015 in which Nelson, Cobb, Lacy, Gordon, and Andre Johnson are touching the ball on every play.

Don't forget Jordan Cameron.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying Gordon isn't a talent, he is, but I'd be willing to bet 99% of the Badger fans that want to see us draft him wouldn't be saying that if he had been a Buckeye or a Gopher and had put up identical numbers.

OH SNAP! Truth bomb.....everybody take cover.....put your helmets on and grab your loved ones.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody says it would be great to put this back and that back together in the backfield and wreak havoc but but teams hardly ever seem to do it and the Packers almost never seem to do it. Hell half he time we go empty backfield so I don't see our strategy changing just because we might have the chance to draft a Badger that most Wisconsin fans are probably ranking higher than many GMs. I'm not saying Gordon isn't a talent, he is, but I'd be willing to bet 99% of the Badger fans that want to see us draft him wouldn't be saying that if he had been a Buckeye or a Gopher and had put up identical numbers.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!!!!!!!!

Badger Honks... Gotta love em.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that we have all the sarcastic, stuck in the box, comments out of the way?

Are the dynamics involved. Such as Lacy taking a pounding. Starks 29 years old. Our 1st round pick is #30 which is basicly a 2nd round pick. It can be absorbed as a luxury pick. And not just luxury... You people act like you dont under stand football strategy. Just because we have one great RB, doesnt mean we cant have another. Insurance for a position that takes a beating, and is becoming increasingly more important to our offense... Gordon does bring that blazing speed. He will certainly take starks spot early, and make impact plays...

And I dont watch College football. Rarely. I did see Gordon play a couple games, and he looked like Chris Johnson the year he ran for 2000 yds. He ran away from everyone in the big 10 last year. I wanted us to draft Chris Johnson too. Did he play for the Badgers? Quit taking cheap shots and debate.

Did we need Quarless when we had Finley breaking out? Did we need Rodgers when Favre was playing well? Did we need Davante Adams when Jordy, Cobb, and Boykin had the top 3 spots taken? Did we need Peppers with Perry, Neal, Mathews, and a handful of young beasts at OLB? No............. But strategically it made us better, solidified our depth , and planned for a future, should important players like Finley, Favre, Jordy/Cobb, Mathews, and Lacy decide they want MORE!!!!!

Im going to laugh my rear off when we pick him at #30... :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm going to defend us "Badger Honkers" in one way.....most of us watch the Badgers play every week, read about them and get to know the players quite well, so yes, some of it becomes "homer mentality", BUT we also know talent when we see it....JJ Watt and Chris Borland are perfect examples of this, rated higher by us honkers then the general public.

This being said, I am in no way endorsing drafting Melvin Gordan unless its some genius plan to trade him away for more picks/players.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because if your worried that he gets hurt, might as well be worried about rod, Nelson and Cobb

Trade up to get ALL their replacements
Lets do the math... Lacy 20+ carries, and recently 5 catches a game. Meanwhile Cobb/Jordy catch 5 MAYBE 10 balls a game... Thats 200% more touches minimum. Then figure in Half of Jordy, and Cobbs catches end in going out of bounds, or dodging any and all impact if possible. While Lacy is a wrecking ball against D-linemen and LBs... Jordy goes down, we still have Cobb/Adams. Cobb goes down we have Nelson Adams. We see more TEs, and RBs. No big deal. Nothing changes really... lacy goes down we have Starks, and Neal. No defense is scared. play action is gone. A-rod takes a beating. circa 50+ sacks 2010 and 2011.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to defend us "Badger Honkers" in one way.....most of us watch the Badgers play every week, read about them and get to know the players quite well, so yes, some of it becomes "homer mentality", BUT we also know talent when we see it....JJ Watt and Chris Borland are perfect examples of this, rated higher by us honkers then the general public.

This being said, I am in no way endorsing drafting Melvin Gordan unless its some genius plan to trade him away for more picks/players.

I actually don't mind the football team (I can't stand UW Basketball, I'm a Marquette fan *ducks*) but to suggest we need to draft Gordon if he's there at 30 is ridiculous. My girlfriends dad is a HUGE Badger fan and I can't stand draft time around him because he constantly complains about how Ted never drafts Badgers, those are the Honks I'm referring to.

I understand your point about watching them every week and I do think it's a valid one but the Packers can't draft EVERY single Badger and I honestly feel like some Badger fans want this to happen. Just my .02 cents.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK. ILB position. Move Mathews inside perminent. Barrington, Bradford, and decent rookie.
DT. Easy Guion and Raji... Thats above average play at a good price since Guion got busted he has no leverage. and Raji needs help to bring his career back... win win for GB.
CB...All one can hope is to get another hayward and Hyde in the 2nd and 4th rounds. And have Hayward the ballhawk play great as a starter... Pick up a free agent as a depth guy maybe? We spent our money. We have to draft and develope somewhere...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I actually don't mind the football team (I can't stand UW Basketball, I'm a Marquette fan *ducks*) but to suggest we need to draft Gordon if he's there at 30 is ridiculous. My girlfriends dad is a HUGE Badger fan and I can't stand draft time around him because he constantly complains about how Ted never drafts Badgers, those are the Honks I'm referring to.

I understand your point about watching them every week and I do think it's a valid one but the Packers can't draft EVERY single Badger and I honestly feel like some Badger fans want this to happen. Just my .02 cents.

To quote Chuck from Sons of Anarchy.... "I accept that" :D

Monty Ball and Ron Dayne are good examples to prove your point. Most Badger fans were clamoring at the opportunity to watch them suit up in the green and gold.....but fortunately in both cases, the Packer brass knew more.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay honestly you would risk not filling more desperate and pressing positions that need Starters for insurance plan behind Lacy??????!!!!!!!!! Seriously?

I mean I get it, if BPA has a RB at the top of TT's sheet he will do one of three things; try like hell to trade, try harder to trade or he'll most likely pick and then try to trade the player away.

I would rank a high pick on a RB as the 3rd dumbest thing we could do in the draft behind a QB and/or WR with that high of a pick (not including the default duhs of K and P).

Now yes, if TT has a RB he likes drop down to him in say the 3rd or 4th round, and he is confident in his first picks and his ability to find gems late, yes without a doubt add depth. As has been stated adding depth at RB is never a bad thing. However, that said. We have an extremely young and talented Neal coming back, we have a very low mileaged 29 year old named Starks and we've got a stud 3rd year pro that is one of the best....to waste a pick on a RB even with the 30th pick is just plain ludacris.

Also the downplay of the 30th pick is absurd. If we look over the past drafts of players taken at 30 or later by TT and company try and downplay (will withold any picks taken after the 3rd for post length sake so likes of Linsley/Bakhtiari, Hyde/Daniels/House/Quarless/Starks/Sitton/Crosby/Lang) :D :

2014 - Davante (#53) Richard Rodgers (#98)
2013 - Lacy (#61)
2012 - Casey Hayward (#62)
2011 - Sherrod (#32) (<--Good player had injuries not struck) Cobb (#64)
2010 - Mike Neal (#56)
2008 - Nelson (#36) Finley (#91)
2007 - Brandon Jackson (#63) James Jones #78)
2006 - Daryn Colledge (#47) Greg Jennings (#52)
2005 - Nick Collins (#51)
2004 - Honorable mention Nick Barnett at #29

Try downplaying the #30 pick for value and you are fooling nobody. As a matter of fact between picks 20 and 40 over the last 10 years we've brought in Rodgers, Hawk, Nelson, Clay, Raji, Bulaga, Sherrod, Nick Perry, Datone Jones and Ha Ha.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK. ILB position. Move Mathews inside perminent. Barrington, Bradford, and decent rookie.
DT. Easy Guion and Raji... Thats above average play at a good price since Guion got busted he has no leverage. and Raji needs help to bring his career back... win win for GB.
CB...All one can hope is to get another hayward and Hyde in the 2nd and 4th rounds. And have Hayward the ballhawk play great as a starter... Pick up a free agent as a depth guy maybe? We spent our money. We have to draft and develope somewhere...

So you want to move Matthews out of position permanently, spend a few picks on CB in the middle rounds, and count on Hayward being a good outside receiver where he isn't suited. All to accommodate a RB in the 1st round "in case" Lacy gets hurt. You want to take your offense that already has the perfect makeup and chemistry and is built around Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, and Lacy and work it around Gordon because he ran all over the Big 10. Guess what, the NFL is not the Big 10.

You want debate and not sarcasm, okay. I think this would be an awful plan, my honest opinion. You have your bellcow RB already. Imagine the Steelers using their 1st round pick on Melvin Gordon when they have Leveon Bell. That's how much sense this makes.

This has about as much chance of happening as Gordon falling to the 5th round, because that's about the only place where we would just take him and not trade out of the spot.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that we have all the sarcastic, stuck in the box, comments out of the way?Are the dynamics involved. Such as Lacy taking a pounding. Starks 29 years old. Our 1st round pick is #30 which is basicly a 2nd round pick. It can be absorbed as a luxury pick. And not just luxury... You people act like you dont under stand football strategy.

And you act like you don't seem to understand that team needs come before team luxuries.

And I dont watch College football. Rarely. I did see Gordon play a couple games, and he looked like Chris Johnson the year he ran for 2000 yds. He ran away from everyone in the big 10 last year. I wanted us to draft Chris Johnson too. Did he play for the Badgers? Quit taking cheap shots and debate.

Melvin Gordon doesn't have Chris Johnson speed, and again, there's a big difference between defensive speed in the B10 than the NFL.

Did we need Quarless when we had Finley breaking out?

I don't know why Quarless keeps coming into this argument. He was a 5th round developmental/depth pick. He was not drafted with the 30th overall pick, and he was not drafted as some sort of weird ploy to use as a bargaining chip in negotiations with Jermichael Finley. Andrew Quarless has nothing to do with the price of tea in China here. Nobody is saying not to take a RB in the 5th round.

Did we need Rodgers when Favre was playing well?

Favre was about to turn 36 and we needed a franchise QB successor. Not even close to being the same thing.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
*quietly holds out a white flag for someone to take and wave* anyone.....anyone.....Buehler....Eli?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Now that we have all the sarcastic, stuck in the box, comments out of the way? … You people act like you dont under stand football strategy. … Im going to laugh my rear off when we pick him at #30...
Now that we have this condescending post out the way: Here’s an indication of how Thompson, and the NFL generally, value RBs. Remember the 2013 draft? Thompson picked Datone Jones at #26. The Packers next pick was at #55. Both Montee Ball and Eddie Lacy were available and what did Thompson do? He traded down six spots, risking not getting either RB. As we now know, the Broncos took Ball at #58 and Lacy was there at #61. If Thompson was willing to pass up Lacy and/or Ball at #55, what are the chances he drafts Gordon at #30 when it’s not a priority need for the team?

Certainly Eddie Lacy could get injured but that’s true of every RB. Regarding the number of touches, look at Marshawn Lynch, for example. Over the past 5 regular seasons, he’s missed 1 game. (According to my math and nfl.com) he has 1383 regular season rushes and 146 receptions over those 5 seasons. That’s 1,529 touches, or 306/season. (And Lynch had 743 touches in his first three regular seasons.) In two seasons Lacy has missed 1 game and has 530 rushes and 77 receptions. That’s 304 touches a season.

And what makes you think if Lacy goes down, the O reverts back to surrendering 50+ sacks? Over the last two regular seasons Starks has averaged 4.7ypc and because of Lacy he hasn’t taken a beating and he would be relatively fresh. Also one of the great advantages of keeping the OL intact is that helps the running game no matter who is carrying the ball. And did you see how they pass protected when Rodgers was playing on one leg?

BTW, what are going to do when Thompson doesn’t take a RB at #30?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other wasted picks in recent Packer history: Jordy Nelson, Micah Hyde, Corey Linsley, and maybe even Aaron Rodgers.

If Gordon is there I think we should take him. But i am of the opinion he will be a standout player in the NFL. And anytime you can add a n impact player you do it

When Jordy was drafted folks were upset we wasted the pick when we already had a few. In the long term it is what is best for the Packers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Other wasted picks in recent Packer history: Jordy Nelson, Micah Hyde, Corey Linsley, and maybe even Aaron Rodgers.
IMO you're really stretching in an attempt to make a point here. Hyde and Linsley were both 5th round picks and as we all know, Rodgers was talked about as being the first pick in that draft. Those picks aren't at all analogous IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's a terrible idea to move Matthews inside permanently. It helped improve the run defense last season but he's not nearly as efficient as a true ILB.

Guion will be suspended for the first few games of the season and I don't trust Raji to show up motivated every sinhle week. In addition Guion was decent but don't mistake him for a dominant NT.

Hayward and Hyde aren't a great fit to play outside and I wouldn't feel comfortable with a mid round pick to be counted on from week 1 at that position.

In a perfect world the Packers would re-sign Tramon Williams, bring in a veteran ILB and spend their first two picks on another ILB and a NT.

There's absolutely no reason to draft Gordon and it would be ludicrous at best if Thompson picks the former Badger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts