Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh god you guys need to get a grip. I WILL laugh my rear off if we pick him at #30 and you have to eat crow. Realistically, he will have to slip to the second. Dont get bull headed to say we couldnt survive without that #30 pick spent on defense. We have a whole free agency and a whole draft to fill a couple spots. Hardly a dire situation... But to the point Lacy had to slip to us in the second before we drafted him. Gordon will most likely have to as well. But my whole point for this topic, was WHAT IF we drafted him at #30, COULD we justify it??? I think we could based on my many points stated earlier. You guys read the title, formulated your opinion right there and then. And spent 4 pages picking on it. Amishmafia is the only one who said it could be justified... Now if Thompson makes the pick, we will know where he was on the only draft board that matters. But in the fun of speculation... What if? I see many new possibilities in an already diverse offense. Speed. Insurance. Split him out to get him on the field more. lots of possibilities for a fast powerful runner. Even on the best offense in the nfl. lots of possibilities... return man??? It would not be a wasted pick. guaranteed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dont get bull headed to say we couldnt survive without that #30 pick spent on defense. We have a whole free agency and a whole draft to fill a couple spots. Hardly a dire situation...

Free agency started on Tuesday and in cased you missed it a lot of free agents alteady signed with other teams. The Packers need two or three ILBs, two NTs and an outside corner to fill their needs on defense.

Once again, they don't need a single RB as they were the best offense in the league last season and return all 11 starters.

But let's play this insane what if for a moment. If you want the Packers to draft Gordon in the first round how do you plan on fixing the defense???

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would not be a wasted pick. guaranteed.

Completely disagree, it would absolutely be a wasted pick in terms of need. I get what you're saying somewhat but the highest scoring offense returning all 11 starters doesn't need more firepower. What it needs is a defense that can stop someone and there are just too many holes to fill on D. You can dream all you want but TT isn't going to fix them all in free agency, and to think he will is just foolish. Sure, whomever we draft at #30 may flame out or they could help this defense significantly we don't know but you're not even giving it a chance taking Gordon there. If anything you trade back and if Gordon is there I could very easily see that happening.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to see GB get Torey Gurley at #30 if he's available even with Lacy and him coming off an injury. If he's available i say we grab him quickly and address the rest of the positions later.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I consider it a sign of a good idea, WAY outside the box... Realistic. He would have to slip to the second round like Lacy did, for us to get him. That could happen too.

Clay Matthews at ILB is outside the box. This is more along the lines of, just a bad idea. It's also not very realistic, since he probably won't slip out of the first and if he does, will never make it all the way to the bottom of the 2nd.

Hindsight, I bet TT would trade up in the first round to go get Lacy, if he knew then what he knows now. In the olden days, great RBs like Lacy and Gordon wouldnt have made it out of top 10. So getting a great RB at #30 isnt really that big of a stretch.

I'm sure he probably wouldn't, since he still appreciates value and isn't going to waste a pick to trade up knowing he could have likely had him with his pick in the 1st anyway. Even if he did, what does that have to do with anything? He'd probably take Corey Linsley earlier if he knew what he knows now. What does any of that have to do with a guy that they don't know about yet? Also, please stop comparing Gordon to Lacy by saying "great RBs like Lacy and Gordon wouldn't have made it out top 10." Lacy has 2 seasons under his belt as a top RB. I LIKE Gordon, but he played in an offensive college system, that, time and time again, has churned out great college RB's and bad NFL RB's. It doesn't mean Gordon won't be great, but you keep talking about it like it's a foregone conclusion. Guess what, if it was a foregone conclusion, we wouldn't even need to be having this discussion because he'd never drop.

I just wanted to fully dive into the idea of a long term 2nd head for our double headed monster run game. I think I made some good points. What triggered this whole idea, besides Gordons speed. What seeing both Kuhn and Harris as free agents... If there was going to be a move made. Now would be the time. We got a young #1. We got a very good, low miles veteran #2. and total freedom to build our run game to have..... well, everything.... For a long time.

So we have the best QB in the NFL, we just invested big deals in our 2 elite WR's, and you want to essentially turn us into a run-oriented 70's style wishbone offense? Man, I'm glad you're not the one actually making these decisions. We have the perfect back for our offensive system. We DON'T NEED another one.

In a changing NFL, you cant bring the same game plan back the next year and expect same results. Carrol is probably watching GB tape as we speak.

Sure you can. Do you really think our offense changed much from 2013 to 2014? It hasn't really changed much since Rodgers has been here. Sure, we've become a little more run-oriented with Lacy, but the foundation of our offense hasn't changed. Do you think we're going to come out and start splitting out Rodgers and running the Wildcat next year? No, it'll be pretty much more of the same. There isn't some secret that Carroll is going to see on film to stop it. He can look for weaknesses, but most of it is about talent (which we already have a glutton of on offense), and execution. Doesn't mean we won't come up with some new plays, but we're certainly not going to be changing what we do.

Bringing in speed like Janis, and say Gordon... Changes EVERYTHING!!!

This is approximately the 70 zillionth time you have talked about how much of a difference maker you expect a 7th round pick out of DII Saginaw Valley State to be in our already elite offense after being almost solely inactive last year, solely based on his speed. How about we just draft the speedy RB version of Jeff Janis in the 7th this year, and call it good?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd love to see GB get Torey Gurley at #30 if he's available even with Lacy and him coming off an injury. If he's available i say we grab him quickly and address the rest of the positions later.

[sarcasm]Absolutely love the idea. And hey, why not trade away Barrington and Hayward to move up in the draft to have a better chance of picking Gurley. Or heck, throw in Daniels as well to get to the top of the first round and either select Winston or Mariota, even with Rodgers that makes perfect sense. Don't worry about the defensive needs, we can address them later.[/sarcasm]

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Gurley falls to the second round TT will take him. Doubt he would take Gordon even in the 2nd. Doesn't seem like Gordon gonna be that good in NFL. He gets tackled too easily, he'll get what the oline blocks not much more.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am now officially hoping for Gordon to be the pick. Not because he is BPA, but I would love to see all the posters here blow their collective gaskets.

Another offensive pick I could see is the TE out of Minny.

Go TT!!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

I am now officially hoping for Gordon to be the pick. Not because he is BPA, but I would love to see all the posters here blow their collective gaskets.

Another offensive pick I could see is the TE out of Minny.

Go TT!!!!

Why bother about what's best for the Packers on a team's forum when you can take joy in pissing other members off??? :rolleyes:

Way to go, Amish.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I see we are still playing fantasy football .....the kind where your defense doesn't matter :coffee:

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[sarcasm]Absolutely love the idea. And hey, why not trade away Barrington and Hayward to move up in the draft to have a better chance of picking Gurley. Or heck, throw in Daniels as well to get to the top of the first round and either select Winston or Mariota, even with Rodgers that makes perfect sense. Don't worry about the defensive needs, we can address them later.[/sarcasm]

It's a great thing that the Pack doesn't have anyone with your thought process or lack of reading skills heading the organization. I stated that if Gurley slipped to pick # 30 then I would grab him without hesitation. No one ever said anything about trading up in the draft until your brilliant analogy. You can keep those idiotic thoughts of sarcasm to yourself. Oh and by the way, have another "Hot Pocket' before you decide to come up out of your Mom's basement.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's a great thing that the Pack doesn't have anyone with your thought process or lack of reading skills heading the organization. I stated that if Gurley slipped to pick # 30 then I would grab him without hesitation. No one ever said anything about trading up in the draft until your brilliant analogy. You can keep those idiotic thoughts of sarcasm to yourself. Oh and by the way, have another "Hot Pocket' before you decide to come up out of your Mom's basement.

I repeat it once again for all of you thinking it is a great idea to pick a RB in the first round:

There's absolutely no need to draft one that high because the team will return all 11 starters on offense, a unit that led the league in scoring last season. The defense has a lot of holes to fill and it would be insane to spend a first round pick on a player mostly sitting on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts