McCarthy has lost 7 games in the playoffs, 5 of them on the last play.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If going for two was such a slam dunk more coaches would do it. If we saw more this year it was only because the kick was moved back not because it is such a great decision.

I'm guessing 99 out of a hundred coaches would have kicked the EP in that situation and the one who wouldn't is probably unemployed.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you know that there aren't any such people here, if given the opportunity and resources?

Always want to reply in this manner. Just because someone else gets paid to do a job doesn't mean someone else couldn't do it better.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they go for 2 and make it MM's a genius. If they don't make it he's a goat. This team has not been consistent on short yardage plays(or any other plays for that matter). So I'm ok with that decision. But I thought running on first and second downs after the Cards went ahead (and after Shields dropped the interception) were wasted plays. The 4th down bounce pass was on Rodgers. The inability to score TDs when you've got goal to go this game, and game after game this year is on McCarthy as much as anyone.
Excellent post JB. The run game starts in August with fierce commitment. MM needs to review Lombardi. Now had TT picked up Vernon Davis I could see going to him for 2.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With those stats going for 2 should have been a no brainer. Once the Packers lost the coin flip, I knew it was over.
Didja think Capers Z would leave Fitz open? And Fitz would run thru the worst tackling Z in the NFL?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent post JB. The run game starts in August with fierce commitment. MM needs to review Lombardi. Now had TT picked up Vernon Davis I could see going to him for 2.
A lot of misinformed people in this forum on Davis since the trade. Vernon dropped two huge passes in week 14 & week 15. He was then blasted by a teammate for a "lack of effort." And then subsequently benched to third string and hasn't seen a target in the passing game since. Excuse me if I question whether Davis would have been the correct trade to make, or would have made any impact on last night's game.
Didja think Capers Z would leave Fitz open? And Fitz would run thru the worst tackling Z in the NFL?
Any stats to back up we're the worst tackling unit in the NFL? I would really tend to doubt we were even bottom 1/3 this year.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of misinformed people in this forum on Davis since the trade. Vernon dropped two huge passes in week 14 & week 15. He was then blasted by a teammate for a "lack of effort." And then subsequently benched to third string and hasn't seen a target in the passing game since. Excuse me if I question whether Davis would have been the correct trade to make, or would have made any impact on last night's game.

Any stats to back up we're the worst tackling unit in the NFL? I would really tend to doubt we were even bottom 1/3 this year.
No. You? But I'd sure as hell hate to be bragging up bottom 1/3.;)

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wrong. While the Packers short yardage offense is bad it's still better than a 10 percent chance of success. The Packers have won one of 10 OT games under MM. Going for two is just going with the odds. It's logical

You should realize past performance in prior years doesn't matter much. Not being able to convert short yardage THIS YEAR has a lot more impact than prior year's OT record. I could counter and say the odds were in favor of them winning one in OT then. I still say it was the right call.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes I did think the D would blow it. They were gassed. The Packers needed to win the coin flip to have any chance to win. I said it before the extra point was kicked, go for 2. Put the game in Rodgers' hands and let the chips fall where the may.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You should realize past performance in prior years doesn't matter much. Not being able to convert short yardage THIS YEAR has a lot more impact than prior year's OT record. I could counter and say the odds were in favor of them winning one in OT then. I still say it was the right call.
I don't have the stats but were'nt the Packers better than 50% on 2 point conversions this year?

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See this yet? NFL needs to figure this out.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This was how i felt about it. Reminded me exactly of the Dez catch, and thought it should have been ruled the same way due to precedent.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have the stats but were'nt the Packers better than 50% on 2 point conversions this year?

Yes, but that is a very small sample size. I say a better gauge would be how many times did the Packers convert a 3rd or 4th and 2 or less. Don't know what those stats are, but I bet they are much less than 50%. Plus the fact that Cobb and Adams were both out probably drops the chances even more.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

MM said same thing about losing on last play all these times..

He seemed very upset at the reporters question on same subject.

D

Deleted member 6794

Six plays is a very small sample size. On the other hand the Cardinals defense allowed a two-point conversion on 40% of the attempts (2-of-5) and the Packers had troubles converting 3rd- and 4th-and-2 all season, doing it only six times on 20 attempts (30%).

There´s data out there supporting both kicking the extra point or going for two.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt that the Packers' chances were better giving the ball to Rodgers for a 2 point conversion than winning a coin flip. I didn't feel that the D could stop Arizona.

I do understand why MM chose to go into overtime.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
See this yet? NFL needs to figure this out.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Rules were adjusted this year...According the the prodcast...Fitz is a runner, Dez wasnt

Not saying its right or wrong, just pointing out definition of Fitz was he was a runner

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That run with 3 minutes to go infuriated me. Get your head out of your ars MM. If I am Rodgers, I would've audibled out of that rotten call. It all but summed up what the coaching staff needs: a bonafide West Coast OC that has no buddy connection to the head coach. Don't forget to hire a WR coach with the same credentials. This failure lies at the very feet of MM. It shouldn't have come to a hail mary to have a chance to tie the game. If the play caller was such a guru, he would've called plays that moved the ball more effectively in crunch time.

The buddies got fired today

Te and rb coach

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM may have had the biggest revolving door at the O-line that I've seen this year, up until kinda the last few weeks it's been a mess there. Plus as questionable as some of those plays looked that were called, Rodgers' usual pinpoint accuracy has been far less this year due to running for his life, pressing the throws, and simply not having the finesse that we're used to seeing. Plus a few deep routes run by James Jones and a few others had them giving up on the play, something I've usually never seen our receivers do before.

These things, more than anything have to get fixed instead of firing Mike McCarthy. I get that when things go wrong people want changes, but making a change to head coach and having a new guy bring a new system in town that would undermine our players' strengths, is not one of them. I sincerely hope Rodgers's struggles are only temporary, and I'm still waiting to see what becomes of Jordy and Ty Mont this offseason, but fix the O-line up a little, just get back into those patented slants, seams and stay on what the original identity of what this offense is and I'm confident we will get back to the Packers we all know.

Am curious to see what's going to happen with Dom Capers though, I am not suggesting or hoping he goes unlike a lot of people do, and I don't think MM or TT will fire him, but I didn't see Slocum going last year either and believe it or not, MM and co have not been afraid to make surprising changes in years past so .... can't totally put such a notion out of possibility.

To set the record straight, there is not any sky is falling propagation going on here, the year as a whole was not up to par with normal standards, but for all that, we were still competing against the best team in the NFC and only lost to them in OT, a game we were supposed to be highly outmatched in. Considering we lost to all 3 of our divisional opponents at home and had some tough to watch games this year, I think we ended on a high note. Only time you make a complete team and coach overhaul is if the team clearly is heading in the wrong direction for what looks like the next few years, and I don't think we are. If next year things get even worse, then it might be time to start panicking a little more, but I think you gotta stay the course and let things get ironed out.

Probably my only criticism with MM is that sometimes the plays he challenges, such as that Larry Fitzgerald catch, can be real head scratchers to me, and I do feel like sometimes he could do a better job of saving his timeouts till under the last 2 minutes when they're needed the most, but when you got struggles that gotta be addressed, I suspect this makes that even more difficult.

Last edited: