1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McCarthy has lost 7 games in the playoffs, 5 of them on the last play.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by fochs13, Jan 17, 2016.

1. fochs13

fochs13 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    I know some people will disagree, but I think it's time to move on. He cannot win close games. He struggles to put points on the board with his terrible play calling. We have one of the all time great quarterbacks and we've only been the the superbowl with him once. It was a tough break losing Jordy, but I don't believe that his loss was the contributing factor to our mediocre season. I give the team credit for keeping the game close, but can't help but think of what we could have done with someone like Josh McDaniels calling the plays.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Top 5 offense in last few years minus this one..

He isn't going anywhere

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98
    A little addition to your thoughts...I have thought everyone was crazy when they were saying Janis could really be a good player. He looked really good last night. Maybe McCarthy just never gave him a real chance. And why not when we had such a long streak this year with pitiful offense? One game doesn't make a good player but Janis showed some good hands.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    I think Packers beat pats in 2014 with Josh calling their plays

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    MM isn't going anywhere, but I do think his decision-making definitely comes into question when you are losing so many playoff games at the very end.

It's very plausible that conservatives tendencies on his part with everything on the line have cost us Super Bowls.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    So what play calls last night contributed to the loss?

Maybe not losing Jordy alone was a big factor, but not having the top 4 WR certainly hurts. Josh McDaniels sure would have a tough time without Gronk, Edelman, and Amendola.

7. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    Not going for 2 at the end of regulation. For a number of reasons I've already got into.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +937
    Not to be argumentative Carl- I agree with you- but there actually were times when McDaniels was without Gronk, Edelman, Amendola; and their top 2 RB's and a reshuffled Oline missing 2 or 3 starters, and for the most part they still moved the ball and scored points.
    This is why it's generally not a good idea to use the Pats as a negative example.:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    The Patriots did finish the regular season 2-4 without many guys.

You are right though that the Patriots do somehow figure things out most of the time. I sure hope they don't win it all again.

10. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    If that his only bad play call all game, that's pretty good called game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +937
    This season, I can see any of the teams left winning it all. Well, maybe not the Steelers; losing Brown and a hobbled Ben takes too much of their best strength away.

12. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    The subject line:
    "McCarthy has lost 7 games in the playoffs, 5 of them on the last play."

Makes me want to cry like a little girl...just the stat... 5, count 'em 5, on the last play. However, the Packers have lost 7, not just McCarthy. Think that if McCarthy knew that Fitzgerald was going to be left uncovered ahead of time that he wouldn't have done something? Of course he would have. If he knew in advance and didn't, then you could say McCarthy lost last night.

13. Sanguine camper

Sanguine camper Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +200
    Not going for 2 showed no confidence in his offence. The chances of success on going for two is much higher than winning in overtime. That call should be a no brainer. MM is now 1-8-1 in overtime ganes. The Packers have a 10 percent chance of winning OT games under MM. If the Packers keep MM sure they will make the playoffs but will again find ways to lose when it counts the most.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. JK64

JK64 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +71
    I thought they should have gone for 2 as well. They were on the road and OT does not favor road teams.

15. JK64

JK64 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +71
    With those stats going for 2 should have been a no brainer. Once the Packers lost the coin flip, I knew it was over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    Not disagreeing. I actually was on board with his challenge. I blame the NFL for not being able to clearly define a catch. That could have been a big overturn.

I also thought the running play deep in our own territory to Lacy with 3 minutes left was pretty dumb, but overall I thought MM did fine.

It's just the magnitude of the one he missed...or in my opinion missed. I think he could have stamped his legacy on that 2 point call if they win and go on to win the Super Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    See this yet? NFL needs to figure this out.
    upload_2016-1-17_12-2-39.png

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    If they go for 2 and make it MM's a genius. If they don't make it he's a goat. This team has not been consistent on short yardage plays(or any other plays for that matter). So I'm ok with that decision. But I thought running on first and second downs after the Cards went ahead (and after Shields dropped the interception) were wasted plays. The 4th down bounce pass was on Rodgers. The inability to score TDs when you've got goal to go this game, and game after game this year is on McCarthy as much as anyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +206
    That run with 3 minutes to go infuriated me. Get your head out of your ars MM. If I am Rodgers, I would've audibled out of that rotten call. It all but summed up what the coaching staff needs: a bonafide West Coast OC that has no buddy connection to the head coach. Don't forget to hire a WR coach with the same credentials. This failure lies at the very feet of MM. It shouldn't have come to a hail mary to have a chance to tie the game. If the play caller was such a guru, he would've called plays that moved the ball more effectively in crunch time.

20. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    Like the back shoulder throw?

That was fine a call, but the throw was missed. Doesn't make sense to look at that series and blame only MM when the 4th down play failed due to the players and not the call.

21. fochs13

fochs13 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    I'm not so much referencing last night, except for not going for two after the hail mary. The fact that we lost 6 of our last 10 this year and losing so many close games in the playoffs are my main concerns.

22. RRyder

RRyder Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +505
    The Pats do struggle on offense whenever Gronk is out. It's just not the same team. And as Carl pointed out they did finish 2-4 when the injuries started piling up. But I do understand your point.

This team isn't all that far away and we're one Shields dropped pick away from playing in the NFCCG. The Cardinals are a loaded team and by all accounts we played them neck n neck throughout the game. They made one more play than us though. It happens. They were the better team yesterday.

This team in the end was a victim of a death by a thousand cuts. We were playing, arguably the NFLs best team in Arizona, without our top 4 WRs and had a great chance of winning. That in and of itself is a little crazy.

Getting Jordy back as a part of the offense can't be understated. Like I said look at the Patriots when Gronk sits. Add in Montgomery and yet another possible WR as a draft pick and we're in good shape heading into next year with the way our D came together this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +206
    I mean no disrespect, but with that type of logic, then the playcaller is never at fault. Stop blaming the players, it is time to start blaming the tired scheme. Creativity was needed and none was shown.

24. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    Explain then how Rodgers missing an open Jones is on the play call.

The play caller can be at fault, but it's not his fault when the players mess up. Creativity wouldn't have mattered at all if the throw was exactly the same.

25. Daryl Muellenberg

Daryl Muellenberg Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +52
    FYI - they did beat the Pats in 2014 (26-21) without him.