Maybe they weren't so crazy after all

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely agree with this story, at least so far...

Packer Report.com

Rodgers proves Thompson, McCarthy right

By Bob Fox
[email protected]
Posted Sep 18, 2008

It’s early, but the Packers haven’t missed a beat since turning the page on the Favre era, PackerReport.com’s Bob Fox says.

A lot of fans thought Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy were out of their minds when they were steadfast in their support of Aaron Rodgers and not receptive to Brett Favre returning to the team.

Favre has played pretty well with the New York Jets, especially since he had to learn a new offensive system. Favre has a 104.1 passer rating, with three touchdown passes, one interception and 375 passing yards. The Jets are 1-1, including a loss last week to the defending AFC champion New England Patriots. That's pretty good.

But Rodgers has been great. Rodgers has a 117.8 passer rating, with four TD passes, no interceptions and 506 passing yards. The Packers are 2-0 and alone in first place in the NFC North with two divisional victories.

It's early, but if the Pro Bowl were announced today, Rodgers would be going for the NFC. Rodgers would garner votes as league MVP. But again, it's early. Real early. Especially with the 2-0 and NFC favorite Dallas Cowboys coming to town on Sunday.

Rodgers knows all about the Cowboys. It was against Dallas last year when Rodgers proved to Thompson, McCarthy and some fans that he was ready to lead the Packers. In that game at Texas Stadium, Rodgers threw 20 completions in 28 attempts (71.4 percent) for 218 yards, with one touchdown and a passer rating of 106.

Both teams are 2-0. Both have good, young quarterbacks, as Wisconsin native Tony Romo will lead the Cowboys. The game will be the next big step for Rodgers.

The Rodgers era has begun in Green Bay. Even as the Favre era continues, albeit in a different location. While Rodgers and Favre are on pace for successful seasons, Rodgers has a better supporting cast and the Packers have the talent to match or exceed last season's success. While Favre has a chance to lead the Jets into the playoffs, he’s not 24 like he was in 1993. Rodgers is 24 and entering the prime of his career.

It took a lot of guts for Thompson and McCarthy to go with Rodgers when they could have had Favre for another season. Favre was coming off of his best season since his MVP years, and the fallout of severing ties with the most popular player in franchise history was predictably was negative.

But the decision was made. Rodgers is now the guy in Green Bay. Rodgers is not only competing against talent in the NFL, but against the legend of Favre. It's surreal that both are playing at the same time. The Jets will be better in 2008 than they were in 2007 because of Favre and other additions to that squad. Again it's early, but the same might be said of the Packers with Rodgers leading them in 2008.

MoxRox

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This weekend should mark Rodgers' first real test. How will he respond if his team gets down 21-0 in the second quarter? How will he react when guys like Ware and Ellis are beating the double team and putting the pressure on him?

Minnesota and Detroit are ranked 24th and 25th respectively in defense. Dallas is ranked 15th, and just got Newman back.

Going to be a much different look than what he's seen so far.

OP
OP
A

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers played well against the Boys last year. VERY well. And the Packers will have Charles Woodson and KGB available this year, unlike last year.

MoxRox

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andy said:
Rodgers played well against the Boys last year. VERY well. And the Packers will have Charles Woodson and KGB available this year, unlike last year.

Happens a lot...starting QB gets injured, and plays much differently than what the starter did. The defense puts together a game plan for the starter, not the backup.

You think Dallas is preparing for Favre?

sandtrapjack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MoxRox said:
This weekend should mark Rodgers' first real test. How will he respond if his team gets down 21-0 in the second quarter? How will he react when guys like Ware and Ellis are beating the double team and putting the pressure on him?

Minnesota and Detroit are ranked 24th and 25th respectively in defense. Dallas is ranked 15th, and just got Newman back.

Where and what are you basing those stats on?

According to NFL.COM, the Cowboys defense is ranked 10th in total yards.
Minnesota is ranked 21st
The Packers Defense is ranked 22nd.
Detroit is #31

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this team can't get off the field on third down, its going to be a long, painful, evening.

Our pass rush needs to first get by that monstrous o-line, and then, most importantly, finish. If we can do that, I like our chances.

I don't worry about our offense (provided the o-line doesn't revert). But the d-line, and whatever blitz packages we decide to bring, need to be effective. That's the ball game in my eyes. Everything will flow from there, if we can bring pressure: Woodson and Harris will get theres if we can do that, we'll get off the field, the offense will score enough...

Football is as easy as that, :lol: it's all about the pass-rush...

Oh, and no matter what, Blackman will do his thing...haha... :rofl:

I'm looking forward to a good game.

MoxRox

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sandtrapjack said:
MoxRox said:

Where and what are you basing those stats on?

According to NFL.COM, the Cowboys defense is ranked 10th in total yards.
Minnesota is ranked 21st
The Packers Defense is ranked 22nd.
Detroit is #31

Damnit, I forgot to say "pass" defense.

OP
OP
A

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MoxRox said:
Andy said:

Happens a lot...starting QB gets injured, and plays much differently than what the starter did. The defense puts together a game plan for the starter, not the backup.

I would things will be a little different for Romo as well, with Woodson and KGB playing.

sandtrapjack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andy said:
MoxRox said:
Andy said:

I would things will be a little different for Romo as well, with Woodson and KGB playing.
Why do people keep bringing up KGB? What has he done in the first 2 weeks of the season to strike fear into anyone?

He has a whopping 2 tackles and 1/2 of a sack in 8 quarters. And that was against 2 very (or even below) average teams. Not to mention that against those 2 mediocre teams the Pack defense still ranks in the bottom 10 in the league for yards allowed (22nd).

Many are saying this is the first real test for A-Rod. That may be, but a defense that is ranked 22nd in yards allowed is facing a larger test against the #2 ranked offense.

We are talking about a defense that allows an average of 333 yards of offense per game, going up against an offense that is averaging 433 per game.

There's your test, right there.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello? Considering 50% of the Lions and Vikings games were against GB don't you SUPPOSE that maybe they're ranked low on defense because of the Packers?

When are people going to realize that "average *insert category* allowed per game" isn't the most telling stat. There are many factors involved and in the end doesn't really mean all that much.

James

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys and your stats... Good thing the game on Sunday won't be played on paper.

cowboyuptx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andy said:
MoxRox said:
Andy said:

Why would it be different for Romo... Al Harris played last year, and Owens and Romo abused him all night....

And MoxRox is right, Rodgers coming in off the bench, is not the same thing as having a defense game-plan for you... The game-plan for Favre who has limited mobility, is not going to work as well against Rodgers... That said, the defenses game plan, was hardly the reason Rodgers was effective.... Rodgers played well in Texas Stadium, and I expect him to play well on Sunday...

I remember how everybody used to say, "Lets see how Romo does now that there's film on him..." or if he has a bad game "It looks like the (Eagles) just gave the rest of the league just got a blue-print on how to defend Romo..."

I'm sure you guys have already started hearing it.... I never believed it about Romo, and I dont buy that when it comes to Rodgers either... While it's very early in Rodgers career, and he hasn't proven anything yet, and he's never beaten a good team yet, yada yada yada.... The bottom-line is, the kid can play.... He's not overwhelmed out there... I've seen nothing from him so far, that makes me think he's gonna have a meltdown come Sunday Night, or the next week for that matter...

However, it's going to be tough for him to make the amount of plays it's going to take for the Packers to keep up with Romo and the Dallas offense.... Not that he cant do it, but it is a very tall order, in only his 3rd career start....

sandtrapjack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
Hello? Considering 50% of the Lions and Vikings games were against GB don't you SUPPOSE that maybe they're ranked low on defense because of the Packers?

When are people going to realize that "average *insert category* allowed per game" isn't the most telling stat. There are many factors involved and in the end doesn't really mean all that much.
But that does not explain Green Bays defense giving up all those yards to them.

You do realize of course that the Atlanta Falcons attained more yards from scrimmage against the Lions than the Packers did against the Lions?

OP
OP
A

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You Cowboy fans talk a big game, but just like Favre had trouble in Dallas (he never won there), the Boys have NEVER won at Lambeau. In fact, the last two times they played there, they were crushed. I be back on Monday to see your responses after the game. But I bet you won't be back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts