Matt Forte anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm tired of having nothing but big bruisers running the ball for us. I want a RB with some pop. Who can take it the house from 90-80 yards out. A RB that can line up at WR and get into passing routes. While I like Lacy, I think he needs a backup that can do what I said. Too bad Franklin got injured, he may of been that guy. But I want a Thunder and Lightning combo. Not Thunder and Thunder.
Sounds like Jonathan Franklin.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colts have went through FA RB's like I do underwear recently. The Trent Richardson and Frank Gore projects have been bust city. I suspect they'll draft a RB. Ravens have Forsett and they like him. Forte would split duties there like he would elsewhere. So why not make that elsewhere a Super Bowl contender? (Which is what Forte will be chasing anyway at this point in his career)

Because Forsett wasn't very good last year and Forte is better. I'm also not sure how the Colts logic goes. They've been willing to sign vets. Gore didn't cost much and did fairly well considering what a mess that team was when Luck got hurt. Forte is much better than Gore was when Gore signed with the Colts.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After re-signing Guion and the draft being extremely deep at the position I don't see the need for the Packers to sign a free agent on the DL.

The Packers dline currently features ONE good player (perhaps Jones can be #2). They can certainly use another player at the most important group on defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers dline currently features ONE good player (perhaps Jones can be #2). They can certainly use another player at the most important group on defense.

The defensive line isn't the most important position in Capers' scheme. Heck, they only used three DL on 17.7% of the snaps last season.

PackerBacker12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read from Chicago that there's a good chance Forte's done as a Bear. Much like Julius Peppers 2 years ago. And Greg Olsen ? years ago.

I think Forte with Eddie Lacy is a great, perfect combo.
Forte is a GREAT receiver. Can actually run real routes. Not just screens and dump offs.

Give Lacy about 200 fresh carries.
Give Forte about 100, and throw him about 100 balls.
Rodgers has never had a weapon like that out of the backfield, someone the LBs or S have to account for running out.

Lotta talk about the PATRIOTS wanting him. Patriots, as we know, have made 6 Super Bowls in the Brady era, and they've not been afraid to bring in veteran RBs.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/331384/Matt-Forte-'perfect-fit'-in-Patriots-offense?

If the Patriots get him, not us, I will be ticked off.
Of course, I don't expect us to.
But I'm so jealous of the Patriots bringing in proven good players and not relying 100% on college kids making the leap.

Matt Forte 'perfect fit' in Patriots offense?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss believes free agent Matt Forte "could be a perfect fit" with the Patriots.

The price would have to be right -- the Pats aren't the sort of team to pay top dollar for a 30-year-old running back -- but on paper there isn't a better fit across the league than Forte in Foxboro. Reiss previously suggested the Patriots will "explore the possibility" of signing Forte. LeGarrette Blount is a free agent, while space back Dion Lewis is rehabbing a torn ACL.
Source: ESPN Boston
Feb 10 - 8:13 PM

Ok so right now we watched James Starks take over several games, and when he got on fire so did Eddie so I think that we should offer Forte a deal number 1 because it'd **** the Bears fans off but number 2 because it'd give us some true consistancy and may help with those two guys being more likely to have some more games where we catching fire at the running back position

PackerBacker12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read from Chicago that there's a good chance Forte's done as a Bear. Much like Julius Peppers 2 years ago. And Greg Olsen ? years ago.

I think Forte with Eddie Lacy is a great, perfect combo.
Forte is a GREAT receiver. Can actually run real routes. Not just screens and dump offs.

Give Lacy about 200 fresh carries.
Give Forte about 100, and throw him about 100 balls.
Rodgers has never had a weapon like that out of the backfield, someone the LBs or S have to account for running out.

Lotta talk about the PATRIOTS wanting him. Patriots, as we know, have made 6 Super Bowls in the Brady era, and they've not been afraid to bring in veteran RBs.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/331384/Matt-Forte-'perfect-fit'-in-Patriots-offense?

If the Patriots get him, not us, I will be ticked off.
Of course, I don't expect us to.
But I'm so jealous of the Patriots bringing in proven good players and not relying 100% on college kids making the leap.

Matt Forte 'perfect fit' in Patriots offense?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss believes free agent Matt Forte "could be a perfect fit" with the Patriots.

The price would have to be right -- the Pats aren't the sort of team to pay top dollar for a 30-year-old running back -- but on paper there isn't a better fit across the league than Forte in Foxboro. Reiss previously suggested the Patriots will "explore the possibility" of signing Forte. LeGarrette Blount is a free agent, while space back Dion Lewis is rehabbing a torn ACL.
Source: ESPN Boston
Feb 10 - 8:13 PM

Ok so right now we watched James Starks take over several games, and when he got on fire so did Eddie so I think that we should offer Forte a deal number 1 because it'd **** the Bears fans off but number 2 because it'd give us some true consistancy and may help with those two guys being more likely to have some more games where we catching fire at the running back position

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure I understand your post correctly but if the Packers sign Forte there's no way the team brings back Starks, who is a free agent, as well.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd rather **** off Bears fans off by sweeping them and winning a title, whether or not Forte is a Packer.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think adding quality DL, OLB, or ILB will have much bigger impacts than who we get at TE or adding a guy like Forte. Not that I'd mind, but I don't see the production coming in, matching the money going out in those situations.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think adding quality DL, OLB, or ILB will have much bigger impacts than who we get at TE or adding a guy like Forte. Not that I'd mind, but I don't see the production coming in, matching the money going out in those situations.

If Forte ends up not being significantly more expensive than bringing Starks back I'm all for it as the Packers need a back-up RB.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If you let Starks walk, which at this point it appears the Packers will at least let him test the market, who is his replacement? Crockett? You have to have a whole lot of confidence in Lacy's off season program and staying injury free if this is the case. So who is our #2 RB?

IMO, re-signing Starks will cost less then Forte, but I would take Forte for an extra million for what he could add to the Packers running and passing game.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Starks is gone, they definitely have a hole at the #2 RB position. if the money is similar I'd take Forte in a heart beat.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forte will likely be asking for 3m a year or so. In that range. Give or take.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here's part of Rodney's take on Forte:
While Forte remained fairly productive in 2014 and 2015, his yards per carry average was an underwhelming 4.0 and his impressive 146 receptions netted a not so impressive 8.2 yard average. Conversely, 25-year-old Eddie Lacy, who looked like he devoured a running back or two last season, still averaged more yards per carry (4.1) and more yards per reception (9.4).
http://packersnotes.com/2016/03/packers-dont-need-forte/

With a slimmed down Lacy, his numbers should be better. As I posted before, IMO the best reason not to sign Forte is free agency money would be better spent at TE or ILB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts