Matt Forte anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

I imagine Pats are on the phone with Forte's agent as we speak.

That would be tampering as Forte doesn´t become an unrestricted free agent until early March. Not that the Patriots care about it, just saying.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, they're just calling to check on his plans for Valentine's Day. Nothing illegal about that.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get on board with too many FAs, but sign me up for Forte. Even at his age he'd be a perfect fit for the type of offense we run. I think he's the kind of player that could have helped keep our offense out of the major slump stretch we went through last year with his backfield skills.

He's also the kind of FA that should be affordable; not necessarily cheap, but affordable in the sense that he won't compete with the top FAs and won't cripple us if he doesn't work out.

I'd offer 2 year /$8M and see if we can sign him on familiarity and his Super Bowl chances here. I also think he'd love to get a crack at playing the Bears twice a year after they essentially thanked him for his service and told him to beat it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm......trying to remember the last Bear FA that we signed and how it worked out :coffee: Pass the Pepper and Forte please.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of news outlets are picking up the story as to why Forte could be a great fit for Packers. While he would contribute, I still think we should pass, give Lacy a chance to earn his way back, and go after fast complimentary back in case Starks doesn't come back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A lot of news outlets are picking up the story as to why Forte could be a great fit for Packers. While he would contribute, I still think we should pass, give Lacy a chance to earn his way back, and go after fast complimentary back in case Starks doesn't come back.

Bringing in Forte wouldn't alter the game plan for Lacy. But it would mean the end of Starks. At the right price, I would love having Forte in Green and Gold. He and Lacy might be a great 1-2 punch and give AR another option on 3rd downs. Also, if Lacy isn't the back we had hoped he was going to be, Forte gives us some insurance.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forte's last contract averaged $7.6Mil/yr... in your opinion what would he accept on a 2 yr. deal, and what is he worth to the Packers?

I think Dallas or NE will give him 2 yr/$8Mil deal... at that price he'd be making more than our three '15 RB's combined. Love to have him in GB but IMHO ain't gonna happen.

OP
OP
Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to toot my own horn, but I started saying this almost a month ago.
Now, as we all know, the odds of the Glorified Head of Collegiate Scouting Mr Thompson is extremely allergic towards bringing in players from other organizations. Very few exceptions on our roster.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...t-packers-biggs-spt-0213-20160212-column.html
Could Matt Forte's next stop in NFL be with Packers?

The question now is where will Forte land? He would be an ideal fit for theCardinalsoffense or for the Packers, who got underwhelming production fromEddie Lacylast season and could loseJames Starksto free agency.

While Packers GM Ted Thompson rarely ventures into free agency, he hit with former Bears defensive endJulius Pepperstwo years ago and could look to Forte to augmentAaron Rodgers' surrounding cast. One source said Peppers already is talking about the possibility of reuniting with Forte.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...02/12/could-packers-make-play-forte/80283952/
Could Packers make a play for Forte?
Stu Courtney, USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin
Matt Forte and the Chicago Bears are parting ways, and already there is speculation that the veteran running back could look north toward Green Bay.
Arthur Arkush of ChicagoFootball.com tweetedthat Forte to Green Bay "could make a lot of sense."

On the other hand, Forte turned 30 in December and could demand more on the open market than the Packers are willing to pay for an aging running back. Other possible destinations for Forte include the Seattle Seahawks, who are losing Marshawn Lynch to retirement, the Dallas Cowboys, and the New England Patriots
I forgot now Seattle could use another back, especially a threat outta the backfield. If NE, Dallas, and or Seattle are interested, then forget it. We only get guys nobody else is going after.

Remember, NE has been much more aggressive augmenting Tom Brady's roster. As a result, they've made 6 Super Bowls in Brady's time there.
Seattle has made 2 of the past 3 Super Bowls, and of course their GM John Schneider has been much more aggressive in free agency and the method called trading.
He's also hit bigger with day 2 & 3 draft picks with Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, and Kam Chancellor.
Also done nice adding UFAs like Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril

Remember they traded for Marshawn Lynch, with indications that Seattle originally had a deal working with..... us. But they barely beat our offer.

Our only prayer is if Teddy wants him, and Peppers wins him over.
Thompson isn't going to win a battle against Belichick, Schneider, or the Dallas Cowboys.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Lacy rebounds which he should, he's going to get a big deal from the Packers.

If Forte wants more than a one year deal, I don't see it happening since that would be a lot of money at one position.

Sky King

Reaction score
Not hard to recognize his worth to the Packers, just his value to TT. I'm not going to hold my breath on this one. The way Lacey looked recently it's not hard to imagine Forte's career lasting even longer than Lacy's despite his age.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forte would definitely be an asset, but with the other needs on the team, I don't see him being high on the priority list.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forte would be awesome as a complimentary back that would excel in 3rd down situations, as a receiving back. It'd have to be reasonably priced, team friendly. I'd say it's highly unlikely but I think he'd have a a great impact.

D

Deleted member 6794

The pnly other free agent RB offering what the Packers are looking for is Bilal Powell. He would for sure be cheaper than Forte but I'm not convinced he would be an upgrade over Starks.

If Lacy rebounds which he should, he's going to get a big deal from the Packers.

If Forte wants more than a one year deal, I don't see it happening since that would be a lot of money at one position.

Just like with Raji this offseason I hope Thompson is extremely hesitant to sign Lacy to a lucrative long-term deal, even if he returns motivated and in shape for the 2016 season.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Forte's 30, and RB's have been de-valued. I can't see anyone throwing a huge $$ at Forte.
I think a smart team, a team with a great QB and a chance at a Super Bowl, will get themselves Forte at a very reasonable deal, with possible big incentive for a Super Bowl.

I also believe Julius Peppers is our Ace in the Hole here.
They played together for years in Chicago, both are good people, and share the same faith.

Remember, Woodson didn't win a Super Bowl right away with us. I think it took 5 seasons.
Reggie White either. I think it took him about 4 or 5 also.

Peppers still has time. He was still good last year.
Bring in another Ex-Bear!
All the more sweeter when we sweep the Bears again, and win the Super Bowl.

If only we could steal a Viking and have him help us out... like the ole GraveDigger did.

Reggie was signed in 1993, Woodson in 2006

Forte would bring a great option in attack and immediately make room in The short to medium range of The field while leaving Jordy and The other 2 WRs with most likely favourable matchups

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pnly other free agent RB offering what the Packers are looking for is Bilal Powell. He would for sure be cheaper than Forte but I'm not convinced he would be an upgrade over Starks.

Just like with Raji this offseason I hope Thompson is extremely hesitant to sign Lacy to a lucrative long-term deal, even if he returns motivated and in shape for the 2016 season.

I don't think Lacy should get a big deal right now. If he plays next season like he did his first seasons, then he should get it.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we signed a Bear, i'd want it to be Alshon Jeffrey.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If we signed a Bear, i'd want it to be Alshon Jeffrey.

While he would be a great addition to the Packers, at the age of 25, I doubt the Bears let him walk. There is even talk that they may slap the franchise tag on him. Even if they let him walk, I can't see adding a 3rd high priced WR to the Packers, other areas of higher need.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While he would be a great addition to the Packers, at the age of 25, I doubt the Bears let him walk. There is even talk that they may slap the franchise tag on him. Even if they let him walk, I can't see adding a 3rd high priced WR to the Packers, other areas of higher need.

He'd be that huge catch radius WR who can "go and get it" that we need opposite Jordy.

Talk about a 1a and 1b.........

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I have great respect for Forte and think he'd be a good acquisition, but this is a zero sum game. If you had your choice would you prefer Forte over your favorite UFA TE? Favorite UFA ILB?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have great respect for Forte and think he'd be a good acquisition, but this is a zero sum game. If you had your choice would you prefer Forte over your favorite UFA TE? Favorite UFA ILB?

Goes to my priorities point. Love Forte, but where is he on the teams needs list?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forte would give us that RB who can lineup outside and in the slot at times and get out into passing routes and even on screens. I have always said that we need a RB like that with Rodgers here. Having a RB like that opens up a lot of things on offense.

But is Forte that guy? Who knows. Probably cheaper alternatives elsewhere.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My thought on Forte and his value to the Packers hinges on Starks. If Starks is not resigned, we will need a replacement. How much will it cost to resign Starks and how much to acquire Forte? If Forte can be obtained for a reasonable amount more then Starks, then he might be the guy you go after. The tricky part of this move, you have to let Starks test the FA market and then we may not be able to sign either player.

Starks is a proven quantity for the Packers, Forte's exact value is more of an unknown.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind him being in GB, may get Lacy to be better?? If Peppers is still here, he might be able to be an ambassador for the team to get him

I dont see the Packers get into a bidding war with anyone. Question is, how important is a chance at a SB compared to a huge $$ contract?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is worth exploring. If TT once again doe nothing in regards to the TE position then Forte could be quite an intriguing asset. He can block well, run well and is an exceptional receiver. He could do some of the pass catching work in the middle of the field that a TE with actual speed and tackle breaking skills would normally do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts