Matt Forte anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeffrey is a sloppy route runner and he QUIT on his team last year. He used injuries and his contract year to play when he felt like it. I want nothing to do with him. He can go catch jump balls with Jay for all I care.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeffrey is a sloppy route runner and he QUIT on his team last year. He used injuries and his contract year to play when he felt like it. I want nothing to do with him. He can go catch jump balls with Jay for all I care.

Maybe he was really injured? I find it hard to believe that players "fake injuries/quit" during contract years. Its a recipe for losing lots of money.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he was really injured? I find it hard to believe that players "fake injuries/quit" during contract years. Its a recipe for losing lots of money.
I think the deal was that he had a injury and if he ever felt less than perfect he shut it down. There was weird timing with it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think Lacy should get a big deal right now. If he plays next season like he did his first seasons, then he should get it.

I don't trust Lacy to stay motivated once he signs a lucrative contract, even if he returns in shape for next season.

If we signed a Bear, i'd want it to be Alshon Jeffrey.

Ever heard about the salary cap???

I have great respect for Forte and think he'd be a good acquisition, but this is a zero sum game. If you had your choice would you prefer Forte over your favorite UFA TE? Favorite UFA ILB?

I wouldn't prefer to sign Forte over an inside linebacker or tight end. The Packers need a back-up running back though and if Forte doesn't ask for a ton more money than Starks he would be a reasonable option.

If Forte can be obtained for a reasonable amount more then Starks, then he might be the guy you go after. The tricky part of this move, you have to let Starks test the FA market and then we may not be able to sign either player.

There's a two day window before the start of free agency in which the Packers can negotiate with other team's free agents. That should make it easier to make a decision on re-signing Starks or go after Forte.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There's a two day window before the start of free agency in which the Packers can negotiate with other team's free agents. That should make it easier to make a decision on re-signing Starks or go after Forte.

Right, but this window also allows for other teams to do the same with Starks. All I am saying is that if it appears Forte's going rate will be more then the Packers are willing to pay, then this puts Starks signing on a faster track. That is, if there isn't someone else out there that the Packers have their eyes on to replace Starks. I think we saw this with Daniels and Guion, the Packers didn't want to let them get into that 2 day window or beyond.

Sky King

Reaction score
Forte would be a tempting luxury for a Packer team that's still has important needs at some other positions. A most regrettable "No" to signing him unless the financial stars were to align favorably and the other identified needs have first been addressed. That all seems highly unlikely.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right, but this window also allows for other teams to do the same with Starks. All I am saying is that if it appears Forte's going rate will be more then the Packers are willing to pay, then this puts Starks signing on a faster track. That is, if there isn't someone else out there that the Packers have their eyes on to replace Starks. I think we saw this with Daniels and Guion, the Packers didn't want to let them get into that 2 day window or beyond.

I don't expect a lot of teams going after Starks early in free agency. I think the Packers could ask about what it would take to sign Forte and if he's asking for too much still have enough time to bring back Starks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I haven't really followed Forte's career but have known he has always been a dual threat. The more I read about him, the more I like his fit into the Packers offense. In 16 career games against the Packers, he has accounted for 1,784 yards (111.5/game). He has had 20 fumbles in his 8 year career (1 fumble/126 touches) not sure how that fares to others .

Now the question is, how much is Forte worth to the Packers and how much will he sign for?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

He has had 20 fumbles in his 8 year career, with quite a few rush attempts (2035) and receptions (487), not sure how that fares to others (1 fumble/126 touches).

Since 2008 only four out of 26 players with at least 1000 touches have a better fumble rate than Forte.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's always been a great screen and swing pass threat, which also limited getting battered. Love to have him in GB's backfield for a couple of years but I fear we'd be battling NE for his services and TT won't get into a bidding war. GB's WR are very good blockers, which would be an added + for Forte and his after-the-catch yardage.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One cannot argue that our RB and offense wouldn't be better with Forte, it would be. Even at his age. One also cannot argue that while cheaper than his last contract, he still will garner some serious coinage. Event at his age.

Seahawks just watched their best RB in years walk, expect them to play with the Patriots in this circus....but I don't expect Packers to be serious contenders due to the impact he would have to the financial abilities elsewhere and where RB is on our list of needs/priorities.

Picking up a RB does nothing to fill the vast void at #1TE and a athletic coverage ILB....two voids that are by far the biggest and widest void we have on our entire roster.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although all that I said above...if TT is going to not fill TE void and for another year not get a plug atleast for ILB...I say we do it :D

**And we'll just have the same 2 glaring issues this next season and offseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

Picking up a RB does nothing to fill the vast void at #1TE and a athletic coverage ILB....two voids that are by far the biggest and widest void we have on our entire roster.

That´s absolutely true but the Packers need a back-up running back as well and if Forte doesn´t ask for a ton more money than Starks does (although I highly doubt that will happen) I would be in favor of it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That´s absolutely true but the Packers need a back-up running back as well and if Forte doesn´t ask for a ton more money than Starks does (although I highly doubt that will happen) I would be in favor of it.

That is a big "if" and one I'm not planning on, but darn tootin' if he does than we'd be stupid not to run with it!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If I was a betting man: The Value of Starks is greater for the Packers then most teams. The Value of Forte is greater for more teams then he is to the Packers. Result: Forte is signed by another team (Patriots) and Starks remains a Packer.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was a betting man: The Value of Starks is greater for the Packers then most teams. The Value of Forte is greater for more teams then he is to the Packers. Result: Forte is signed by another team (Patriots) and Starks remains a Packer.

I think you described it perfectly, although don't be surprised if Seahawks make a play for him if price is right.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see what the contract looks like, first. Don't remember a whole lot of hand-wringing when Suh signed with Miami.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't see Forte as a missing link, but as a nice addition, especially if we loose Starks. I see the missing links for FA's to fill more in the TE and ILB positions. So if not signing Forte allows TT to throw more money at one or both of those positions, then so be it. But if he goes through this Free Agent signing period with nothing to show for it, we then may hear some justifiable complaining.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no doubt that Forte would offer a legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield, something Lacy and Starks haven´t been constantly able to, but I think he will ask for too much money for the Packers to consider signing him.

Lacy and Starks haven't been able to do it but have they been given the chance. It just seems to me that the Packers don't throw to the RB that much. Is it because the RBs can't catch (I don't really think so) or is it because the offense isn't designed for it.

I have no idea why the Packers RBs don't get targeted more. Its always been my feeling that unless your RB flat out can't catch the ball and is a liability when trying to do so you should try to get him the ball as often as possible. I was surprised to see players like Woodhead and Freeman had less than 7 targets a game last year (seemed like it should have been a lot more for some reason) so it might be a stretch to assume any Packer RBs would get that many but if the guy is you main runner why wouldn't you throw to him 4 or 5 times a game.Would Forte's talents as a pass catcher be wasted in Green Bay? With Rodgers at QB your first instinct might be to say no way but if the best passer in the league, or the best passing offense in the league, doesn't throw to the RBs what good does it do to have a great pass catching RB.

As far as Lacy goes I think they may have targeted him more last year but he was so out of shape that they just couldn't. I was expecting much more from in in that category last season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pnly other free agent RB offering what the Packers are looking for is Bilal Powell. He would for sure be cheaper than Forte but I'm not convinced he would be an upgrade over Starks.

Just like with Raji this offseason I hope Thompson is extremely hesitant to sign Lacy to a lucrative long-term deal, even if he returns motivated and in shape for the 2016 season.

I like Powell in the passing game but I agree I'm not sure he would be an upgrade over Starks and he would cost more than Starks. The answer to the question of why can' the Packers have an effective pass catching RB is because the Packers don't throw the ball to their RBs all that much. At least that's what it seems like to me. You aren't going to get a RB catching 50 or 60 passes if you only throw 30 or 40 their way. How about instead of a first down run of Lacy into the pile you try throwing him the ball on a swing pattern or something like that.

That said, like I said earlier, I don't think you can look at the 2015 Green Bay Packers passing game and consider it typical of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts