Matt Forte anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the terms of the forte deal. The only reason you go to play for the jets is for the money or you got traded and you needed a stop over spot until you can stick it to your former fans and team by signing with their arch rival.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the terms of the forte deal. The only reason you go to play for the jets is for the money or you got traded and you needed a stop over spot until you can stick it to your former fans and team by signing with their arch rival.
Once we see the terms of the deal everyone will perfectly understand why the Packers did not sign him. My bet would be 5.5 mil or more a year.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once we see the terms of the deal everyone will perfectly understand why the Packers did not sign him. My bet would be 5.5 mil or more a year.

It's very hard to get a free agency early on without paying a lot.

Osweiler just got $72 million over 4 years. Holy #$@%. And he wasn't even good enough to keep Manning off the field, who was dreadful.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm betting Forte got in that 5m a year range.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's very hard to get a free agency early on without paying a lot.

Osweiler just got $72 million over 4 years. Holy #$@%. And he wasn't even good enough to keep Manning off the field, who was dreadful.
IMO opinion he was good enough to keep Manning off the field which is part of the reason he is leaving the bronco's, elway promised Manning a super bowl so they took the better qb off the field so Manning could have his 2nd super bowl which had nothing to do with Manning and everything to do with that defense.

By the way, that contract is ridiculous and that wasmy point with forte, we will see ridiculous numbers there too.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure why anyone thought Forte was an actual realistic option for the Packers. Forte is worth starting RB money and the Packers already have a starting RB on a rookie deal. Why would the Packers have ever wasted cap space with full-time RB money on a third down RB?

And it's going to be extremely unfair but there are going to be people that somehow denigrate Forte for "taking the money" instead of the "shot at the ring"...forgetting of course that the Packers aren't Super Bowl favorites, there's no such thing as a sure thing (except guaranteed money in your contract) and that it's real easy to spend someone else's money.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As TJV already mentioned I didn´t post anything about not wanting Forte because of his pass blocking. As I´ve said repeatedly before I would be fine with signing him as long as he doesn´t cost significantly more than re-signing Starks would.

Guess the point is moot now. Fleener, Gates, Green, Watson, and Allen have all signed elsewhere. (Forte and Travathian are off the board too) Anybody who would warrant "saving money for" has signed with another team.

Last edited:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free agents from other teams can't be signed until 4PM ET on March 9th, so it wouldn't be official until tomorrow.
captainWIMM posted nothing of the sort. He was answering El Guapo's question (after I flubbed the answer) and stated again, the reason not to sign him is to use that money and cap space on higher priority positions.

Even though it doesn't matter now, with $20M in cap room there was money for Forte and "higher priorities".

I would also argue that an effective running game is a high priority since not having one killed the passing game last year and Lacy is not guarantee, but that's a long conversation for another thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.