Matt Forte anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read from Chicago that there's a good chance Forte's done as a Bear. Much like Julius Peppers 2 years ago. And Greg Olsen ? years ago.

I think Forte with Eddie Lacy is a great, perfect combo.
Forte is a GREAT receiver. Can actually run real routes. Not just screens and dump offs.

Give Lacy about 200 fresh carries.
Give Forte about 100, and throw him about 100 balls.
Rodgers has never had a weapon like that out of the backfield, someone the LBs or S have to account for running out.

Lotta talk about the PATRIOTS wanting him. Patriots, as we know, have made 6 Super Bowls in the Brady era, and they've not been afraid to bring in veteran RBs.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/331384/Matt-Forte-'perfect-fit'-in-Patriots-offense?

If the Patriots get him, not us, I will be ticked off.
Of course, I don't expect us to.
But I'm so jealous of the Patriots bringing in proven good players and not relying 100% on college kids making the leap.

Matt Forte 'perfect fit' in Patriots offense?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss believes free agent Matt Forte "could be a perfect fit" with the Patriots.

The price would have to be right -- the Pats aren't the sort of team to pay top dollar for a 30-year-old running back -- but on paper there isn't a better fit across the league than Forte in Foxboro. Reiss previously suggested the Patriots will "explore the possibility" of signing Forte. LeGarrette Blount is a free agent, while space back Dion Lewis is rehabbing a torn ACL.
Source: ESPN Boston
Feb 10 - 8:13 PM

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sure, if hes cheap ish. Investing moderate $ into a back RB isnt as important as other things on this team

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Forte and Brady is Brady to Moss minus 15%.

Forte would have a killer season in New England. I don't think Brady has ever had a RB that can catch the ball like Forte.

He is more like a WR in the backfield than a RB that catches the ball.

D

Deleted member 6794

Forte would be an intriguing option for the Packers if he would be fine with being paid back-up money. While he said that he´s more interesting in getting a ring than another lucrative deal I doubt he will lower his demands for the Packers signing him to make sense.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New England has a horrible offensive line, and Dallas has a very good one. If I'm a 30-ish running back looking to extend my career, I'd think about that.

Not much chance he's coming to Green Bay.

OP
OP
Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New England has a horrible offensive line, and Dallas has a very good one. If I'm a 30-ish running back looking to extend my career, I'd think about that.

Not much chance he's coming to Green Bay.
Dallas would be a great fit. NE has been big on having a RB who excels as a receiver.
Not us. Not since Vince Workman can I remember a really great route-running, receiving running back.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOPE, unless he is willing to take 1/3 of what he'll find elsewhere. Not all good things are smart :D

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If he comes cheaper then Starks or we don't resign Starks, sure. But I don't think we need Lacy, Starks AND Forte.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he comes cheaper then Starks or we don't resign Starks, sure. But I don't think we need Lacy, Starks AND Forte.

Forte will ask for considerably more money than Starks. Otherwise it would be a no-brainer to sign him and let Starks walk in free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Forte will ask for considerably more money than Starks. Otherwise it would be a no-brainer to sign him and let Starks walk in free agency.
You saying my brain wasn't working when I wrote that? LOL :eek:

I think the decision would also tie into how confident the Packers are in Lacy and his off season plans. Granted, even if Lacy comes back in Pro Bowl form, it would be nice to have Forte as a 1-2 punch, but at how much more $$ then having Starks in that role? I'm fine with Starks if it means having more $$ to spend on a FA TE or ILB.

D

Deleted member 6794

You saying my brain wasn't working when I wrote that? LOL :eek:

I think the decision would also tie into how confident the Packers are in Lacy and his off season plans. Granted, even if Lacy comes back in Pro Bowl form, it would be nice to have Forte as a 1-2 punch, but at how much more $$ then having Starks in that role? I'm fine with Starks if it means having more $$ to spend on a FA TE or ILB.

I don´t think it´s a top priority to bring in a different back-up RB than Starks, so I don´t want Thompson to spend a ton of money on the position.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dallas would be a great fit. NE has been big on having a RB who excels as a receiver.
Not us. Not since Vince Workman can I remember a really great route-running, receiving running back.

Dorsey Levens wasn't bad, and Ryan Grant had his moments.

OP
OP
Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there a new symbol we can click when we appreciate an old name being brought back into the light?

Vince Workman, gosh.
^^ I don't know, but I didn't get anything for it. Not a thanks, like, agree, funny, etc. Nothing.

Vince Workman my way back to you babe. He was pretty good back in the day. I guess all these posters are too young to have even heard of him, much less remember his play.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a very big fan of Forte to the Packers. He should come at reasonable price. 30 year-old running who wants a ring, but could still be a #1 option. Plus he could do something no other Packers running back can do... CATCH THE BALL OUT OF THE BACKFIELD!

OP
OP
Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forte's 30, and RB's have been de-valued. I can't see anyone throwing a huge $$ at Forte.
I think a smart team, a team with a great QB and a chance at a Super Bowl, will get themselves Forte at a very reasonable deal, with possible big incentive for a Super Bowl.

I also believe Julius Peppers is our Ace in the Hole here.
They played together for years in Chicago, both are good people, and share the same faith.

Remember, Woodson didn't win a Super Bowl right away with us. I think it took 5 seasons.
Reggie White either. I think it took him about 4 or 5 also.

Peppers still has time. He was still good last year.
Bring in another Ex-Bear!
All the more sweeter when we sweep the Bears again, and win the Super Bowl.

If only we could steal a Viking and have him help us out... like the ole GraveDigger did.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the price is right, I'd love to have Forte here, but it's about price. he's good, catching and receiving. I think he has some miles, but I think he has some time left too, especially in a complimentary role. A guy that could push Lacy and take over if lacy doesn't respond.
of course this is probably a short term deal and if any team is offering decent money for multiple years, I'm sure that's where he's going. I doubt it would be us.

OP
OP
Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running Backs 30 & over aren't too popular in the NFL these days.
Forte just finished a 4-year deal that paid him $32 million. His monster bankroll days are done.

The following info is from OverTheTop.com.
http://overthecap.com/declining-rb-production-nfl-contract-modeling/

Though plenty has been written on the decline of the running back at 30, I figured why not add to that with a focus on the contract and likelihood of players performing. It’s a good topic if you are interested in working in the NFL, simply like Fantasy Football, or are going to take a more holistic look at Fantex valuations in the future. Plus with all the discussion on giving Seahawks’ RB Marshawn Lynch a raise and a new contract to reflect what he has accomplished combined with fact that a number of solid NFL running backs are about to make that turn into the late 20’s, it’s a good time to look at those late 20 years.

As a quick study I wanted to go back and look at all running backs between the year 2000 and 2013 that had at least one 100 carry season between the ages of 25 and 27. There is no magic to the 100 carries as it was just an arbitrary cutoff point that I figured would at least let us focus on players who do get reasonable use in the NFL. I also just wanted to look at players whose age 25-27 seasons all occurred in the 2000’s (so no Curtis Martin types).

A majority of NFL teams have decided that by 31 most of the players no longer belong in the league, though a few make it to 33 and beyond.

How do the players fare when compared to their 25-27 weighted averages? Not very good. Here is the percentage decline for the players that remain at each age:

Here's a little more info on Forte and his situation:
http://www.inquisitr.com/2544660/matt-fortes-future-with-the-chicago-bears-might-not-be-in-jeopardy/

Everything will hinge on how much money Matt Forte commands this offseason. The Bears want him there if the price is right. Once a running back hits a certain age, a steep decline usually occurs. This will happen to Forte at some point, but there is some hope for those who want to see him remain as a Bear.

Creativity with Forte and how he could be used offensively could extend his playing days.

Matt Forte is the tallest starting running back in the NFL. He is listed at 6’2″. What has made him a great player over the years is his ability to catch the football. As NFL offenses continue to evolve, more running backs have become receivers out of the backfield. Some of them occasionally line up as a wideout. Forte’s future could be as a receiver.
I feel like he'd be willing to go to the Packers or Patriots for something like a 3-year deal, structured at around $12 million, with the 3rd year voidable. Much of it in incentives. Andrew Brandt has all the contract details.....

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm a very big fan of Forte to the Packers. He should come at reasonable price. 30 year-old running who wants a ring, but could still be a #1 option. Plus he could do something no other Packers running back can do... CATCH THE BALL OUT OF THE BACKFIELD!

There´s no doubt that Forte would offer a legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield, something Lacy and Starks haven´t been constantly able to, but I think he will ask for too much money for the Packers to consider signing him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Forte announces that he has been told by Bears GM Ryan Pace that the team won´t attempt to re-sign him this offseason.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, that's a good start. If the bottom-feeders realize spending big on an aging RB isn't going to turn them around, and other top teams don't get crazy, maybe we get him.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I imagine Pats are on the phone with Forte's agent as we speak.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to have Forte, but I don't see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts