Matt Forte anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always been a James Starks guy. He runs a little less forward than in his younger days, but is still effective. I like Forte even more and think that he provides better production catching the ball out of the backfield. I haven't seen much discussion about his blitz-pickup blocking. Is he good enough?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I've always been a James Starks guy. He runs a little less forward than in his younger days, but is still effective. I like Forte even more and think that he provides better production catching the ball out of the backfield. I haven't seen much discussion about his blitz-pickup blocking. Is he good enough?
This is from McGinn's grading column: "Starks certainly isn't the most aware player in protection, and his 8 1/2 pressures were two more than Lacy. But he has become a little more fluid in the check-down game, and it's remarkable that in six years he has been penalized only once."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...eport-card-offense-b99656526z1-366333791.html

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is from McGinn's grading column
Thanks. I was specifically thinking about Matt Forte's blocking but it's good to refresh on Starks. Here is the first article that I found on Forte:
Not only will Matt Forte's departure require the Bears to account for his productivity running and catching the ball, it also will be a major challenge to find a back who pass blocks as reliably as Forte did over his eight seasons. Quarterback Jay Cutler came to trust and appreciate Forte’s ability to identify and square up pass rushers, and that was a big reason why he said Forte had such a calming influence on him.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-matt-forte-pass-blocking-20160215-story.html

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its "legal tampering time" and I would love to see Forte come to Green Bay on an affordable 2-year deal. He's my #1 "want" in free agency.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks. I was specifically thinking about Matt Forte's blocking but it's good to refresh on Starks. Here is the first article that I found on Forte: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-matt-forte-pass-blocking-20160215-story.html

According to PFF Forte (41.9 grade) struggled in pass blocking last season while Starks graded out way better (79.0).

Its "legal tampering time" and I would love to see Forte come to Green Bay on an affordable 2-year deal. He's my #1 "want" in free agency.

While I would like to sign Forte to a moderate contract the Packers have more pressing needs to address (ILB, TE).

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schefter (the non fake one) is reporting that the Packers are in fact interested in Forte.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So these Matt Forte rumors are really heating up. Seeing it all over my Facebook newsfeed.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright I'm hearing we just got him..... who is hearing this?? I want this to be true but I'm not ready to be screwed with... If this happens ill kiss your feet TT

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright I'm hearing we just got him..... who is hearing this?? I want this to be true but I'm not ready to be screwed with... If this happens ill kiss your feet TT

Can you provide a link to any story/tweet anything saying we're going to sign him? I've seen nothing and trust me I've been all over this today.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See its one of those unearthed twitter thing under someone else than I take that persons words as truth. So it was probably BS... Stay tuned....

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See its one of those unearthed twitter thing under someone else than I take that persons words as truth. So it was probably BS... Stay tuned....

Which translates to absolutely no truth lol. Got me a little excited there for a second. But hey Chris Banjo is back in the fold so there's that.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to PFF Forte (41.9 grade) struggled in pass blocking last season while Starks graded out way better (79.0).

While I would like to sign Forte to a moderate contract the Packers have more pressing needs to address (ILB, TE).

Pass blocking? That's what makes you not want Forte? How did Starks and Forte grade-out in every other category?

The guy is great in short yardage and catches a ton of balls. He's the perfect fit for the Packers offense. Tight end and inside linebacker are bigger needs, but you can't pass on Forte if he wants to come to Green Bay.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Free agents from other teams can't be signed until 4PM ET on March 9th, so it wouldn't be official until tomorrow.
Pass blocking? That's what makes you not want Forte? How did Starks and Forte grade-out in every other category?
captainWIMM posted nothing of the sort. He was answering El Guapo's question (after I flubbed the answer) and stated again, the reason not to sign him is to use that money and cap space on higher priority positions.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 mil/ yr for a part time forte sounds great. Leadership. He will be playing fresh, sharing the load with #27. Get er done. Ted

D

Deleted member 6794

The guy is great in short yardage and catches a ton of balls. He's the perfect fit for the Packers offense. Tight end and inside linebacker are bigger needs, but you can't pass on Forte if he wants to come to Green Bay.

As TJV already mentioned I didn´t post anything about not wanting Forte because of his pass blocking. As I´ve said repeatedly before I would be fine with signing him as long as he doesn´t cost significantly more than re-signing Starks would.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking this Forte rumor actually happens. I wont be mad if we sign him. I mean, RB isn't a glaring need, but when a Super Bowl chasing RB of his caliber wants to play for you for a good price, its hard to turn down.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm thinking this Forte rumor actually happens. I wont be mad if we sign him. I mean, RB isn't a glaring need, but when a Super Bowl chasing RB of his caliber wants to play for you for a good price, its hard to turn down.

I would also like to see it happen, but since Chicago cut Forte am a bit surprised that it hasn't happened already.

What I don't want to see happen is Forte AND Starks sign elsewhere and the Packers are all of a sudden scrambling for someone to back up Eddie. Maybe Crockett could be that guy, but I would feel better with Forte or Starks on our roster.....today.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One thing Forte brings to the table is professionalism, a trait that hopefully would rub off on Eddie Lacy. Forte played on some bad teams in Chicago, but he was always prepared, gave the Bears all he had, and was never a distraction or locker-room problem. And he was always in shape, unlike Eddie.

He also would be a great option out of the backfield on third downs. The more I think about this, the more I like the idea of his coming to Green Bay, if it can be done at a reasonable price. We still have other needs to address.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would also like to see it happen, but since Chicago cut Forte am a bit surprised that it hasn't happened already.

What I don't want to see happen is Forte AND Starks sign elsewhere and the Packers are all of a sudden scrambling for someone to back up Eddie. Maybe Crockett could be that guy, but I would feel better with Forte or Starks on our roster.....today.
Maybe they plan to draft that rb that ran a 4.31? Or the alabama bruiser Henry? Or something with a 4 year rookie deal.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't believe he was cut was he? I thought they told him he wouldn't be re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts