Matt Forte anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't believe he was cut was he? I thought they told him he wouldn't be re-signed

I think you are correct.....I stand corrected. It's been talked about for awhile that the "Bears have cut ties with Forte", which isn't a release, just a statement that they won't be resigning him.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Screw it, I'm hopping on the hype train. Let's sign him.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I am with the majority here. Love the signing at the right price. I love what it does for our passing game because Forte is one of the best receiving RBs out there. We have seen how good receiving RBs can expose lbs in coverage. McCarthy loves to exploit matchups and this would give us a chance to do that. Get an athletic TE and this offense is set.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The number I am most interested to see is the difference between the cost of Starks and Forte. If TT is trying to sign one or the other he is probably looking at that number as well as:

Age: Starks is only a few months younger then Forte but has a lot less miles on his NFL body.
Contribution: While Starks is a decent #2, Forte has to be viewed as the all around better back.
Familiarity with Packers system: Nod goes to Starks.
Intangibles: Forte's quest for a ring? They all want them, but Starks has one.
Eddie Lacy: If Lacy gets injured or his off season conditioning doesn't work out, who do you want lining up behind #12?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
One more stat for the comparison: Using nfl.com stats, Forte has fumbled 20 times in 2,522 regular season game touches while Starks as 10 in 661. That's about 0.79% compared to 1.5%.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The number I am most interested to see is the difference between the cost of Starks and Forte. If TT is trying to sign one or the other he is probably looking at that number as well as:

Age: Starks is only a few months younger then Forte but has a lot less miles on his NFL body.
Contribution: While Starks is a decent #2, Forte has to be viewed as the all around better back.
Familiarity with Packers system: Nod goes to Starks.
Intangibles: Forte's quest for a ring? They all want them, but Starks has one.
Eddie Lacy: If Lacy gets injured or his off season conditioning doesn't work out, who do you want lining up behind #12?

Starks is familiar with Green Bay's system but Forte has been around for a long time and played under like 50 offensive coordinators in that mess over in Chicago. Each change he seems to be able to pick up extremely well. I dont work about the familiarity aspect with a guy like Forte at all.

I also agree on contribution. Forte is simply better than Starks. Better receiver, better runner, better ball security. I love Starks but I think some Packer fans overvalue him. Forte is the exact back people have been asking the Packers to get for years. A guy who is a receiving threat. Forte and Lacy would be a terrific compliment to one another and would keep each guy fresh.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always a chance we keep Starks along with signing Forte. Especially if the FA market is poor for Starks. Which it *might* end up being.

D

Deleted member 6794

Always a chance we keep Starks along with signing Forte. Especially if the FA market is poor for Starks. Which it *might* end up being.

I think that if the Packers sign Forte this will mean the end of Starks tenure in Green Bay.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy / Forte / Crockett (or some other rookie RB)

I dig it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Someone will see value in Starks and that value to the Packers if they sign Forte wouldn't be much higher then Vet Min. So I don't see a scenario where we have both Starks and Forte. I'm fine with Lacy, Starks, Crockett and others going into 2016, but at the right price (not a lot more then Starks) so as not to prevent us from signing an upper level FA ILB, Forte sounds really good.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Chris Ivory expected to sigh with Jaguars at $6M/year......hope that doesn't bring Forte's asking price up. :eek:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently the Jets and Dolphins are also interested in Forte. If this becomes a bidding war I assume the Packers will be out rather quickly

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Apparently the Jets and Dolphins are also interested in Forte. If this becomes a bidding war I assume the Packers will be out rather quickly
Not sure if it's rumors, conjectures or truth, but I thought I read that Forte wants to go to a team that can win it all. If true, that probably rules out both of those teams but would include the Patriots, who I think will end up with him.

Then again, money can be a powerful argument for any player to sign with any team.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If the Packers do acquire Forte, I wonder how that will effect the use of Cobb and Montgomery in the backfield?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we can lock this thread down, as Schefter is reporting he's signing with the Jets.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Strange place to sign if you ask me but he will be the for sure starter right? Probably not something he was promised in GB

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If true, so much for wanting a ring...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh well, I mean I've always liked Forte, and for the right price, I'd take him in a second. BUT, i'm sure someone will pay him more and at that price, give or take, I'd rather use that money on ILB or DL in FA. The right TE would be worth it too. But i'm not going to be upset we didn't get Forte, especially if it came at the expense of those other positions (potentially)

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free agency has gone as expected thus far. A thread for every half-decent player available, and all quiet on the Green Bay front. Now to wait and see who remains in the junk heap a few days from now...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now to wait and see who remains in the junk heap a few days from now...

All the savory scraps will remain once the smoke clears. Look at the teams going nuts in FA and look at how those teams have done in the NFL in the past many years.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the savory scraps will remain once the smoke clears. Look at the teams going nuts in FA and look at how those teams have done in the NFL in the past many years.

Oh I'm well aware. It's always interesting to see who people get excited about, but I'm perfectly content to win the North every year and be in contention by taking care of the balance sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts