martellus Bennet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to say that I'm really surprised. Obviously Cook wasn't all that interested in coming back. I knew that the Pack had been interested in Bennett last year and didn't realize that he had only signed with NE for 1 year.

Curious as to what Aaron thinks about this. I read an article that Bennett and Rodgers have already spoken. Hopefully Bennett can continue to be what we need to keep things rolling and that he meshes with Aaron and the rest of the locker room.

From what I understand the Patriots traded for Bennett with 1 year left on his contract and failed to resign him to an extension even though they offered him similar type money right away.

I don't know why Aaron would be upset about this unless the fact that Cook is faster means he can throw the ball farther down the field more often. I think he is getting a much better over all target.

I also think the locker room stuff is way over hyped. As someone said in a post on NFL.com he is a harmless goofball. He is not going to get into legal trouble, he is not going to get suspended, he is not going to be a distraction, he just speaks his mind. I think he is just paving his way for his career after football. One way to do that is be a hell of a football player and one way to help is to make sure no one ever forgets your name.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK. So Belichick's sticking with the short guy, short-distance quickness, possession model. Cooks comes in for one year cheap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/brandin-cooks-14429/

Maybe next year B. goes for the wideouts. ;)

This is what make BB such a good GM. Just like the trade for Bennett last year you don't give up a lot for a guy who is not just a poke and a hope and if he sticks around great but if he leaves after a year maybe you get a comp pick back for him. I think giving up the final pick in the first round was a great move to get Cooks, especially when he will probably get a higher one back when some desperate team gives up their first rounder and more for Garoppolo.

TT seems to be constantly looking 2-3 years or more ahead by signing young guys with potential and hoping they develop on his watch. BB does that I'm sure but he also keeps a closer eye on next year. Spend a bit more to get guys that are a bit more proven and you don't have to invest in as much time to develop them. It also lets you make a quicker decision on whether they will pan out because you can see improvements, or not, over what were decent numbers to begin with. With the young guys one year doesn't really give you much to go on but if Cooks shows improvements over what has been a decent career already BB will know if he want to keep him around. On the other hand, TT has guys like Abbredaris and Janis and Allison and even if they do OK one year its still just one year. It is going to take at least another year to see if they keep it up.

I'm not saying you ignore 2-3 years ahead but you do have to get through next year as well. I'm also not saying I don't appreciate what TT has done, I think he is a very good GM, definitely in the top 25% of the league, maybe higher but like everyone, even those who think he is doing a great job I don't think it is a stretch to admit you wish he was just a bit more concerned with winning next year rather than 2-3 years down the road.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what make BB such a good GM. Just like the trade for Bennett last year you don't give up a lot for a guy who is not just a poke and a hope and if he sticks around great but if he leaves after a year maybe you get a comp pick back for him. I think giving up the final pick in the draft was a great move to get Cooks, especially when he will probably get a higher one back when some desperate team gives up their first rounder and more for Garoppolo.

You do mean in the 1st round, right?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a little more on Bennett. Saw an article on CBS sports say he was rated the 5th best TE by PFF last year and since 2012 he has the 6th most receiving yards for tight ends. Jared Cook is 26th

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
No doubt we need defense, I'm sure Poppa San knows that. I think his point was that EVERYONE knows that because the same people keep bringing it up in every freaking thread.

I know no one, myself included at times, can stay on topic in these threads but just once I would like to see a thread that goes past 5 posts without the usual gang of idiots (I love MAD magazine so that's a compliment in this case) bringing up the obvious about the defense.

Packers signed Bennet...Yeah but we need Defense.

Packers signed Perry... Yeah but we need defense.

We need defense...Yeah but we need defense

The Patriots just traded for Brandin Cooks...Yeah but we need defense.

It snowed last night...Yeah but we need defense.

The dog just took a ****...Yeah but we need defense.
You forgot to mention that we also need defense. :whistling:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT cant hold a candle to BB. Results speak for themselves. Winning a SB is priority over there.. not building a team. There's a difference in the two.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
TT cant hold a candle to BB. Results speak for themselves. Winning a SB is priority over there.. not building a team. There's a difference in the two.

Who on the board ever says that TT is as good as BB?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Who can hold a candle to BB?

He is just smarter then everyone else.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Pack and cook were close, on fact more money was offered to cook

I would really think Cook would of taken the Money to what was offered to him. As he only really shined later in the season when he was fully healthy. For someone that just had a taste of the playoffs I think he would of stayed. With him still currently unsigned he bit more off then he could chew.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And he just got Kony Ealy from the Panthers for a 2nd rounder but they only moved back 8 spots because they got the Panthers 3rd rounder.

I would really like to see him go back to Cleveland can you imagine what he could do with 22 picks in the next 2 years. I bet Cleveland would be in AFCC game within 3 years

Reaction score
We do need to address the defense.

But as I looked into it, I was surprised to find that the statement in bold isn't as true as many of us have thought.

In 2007, they lost in the divisional round 23-20.

In 2013, they lost in the wildcard round 23-20.

In 2015, they lost in the divisional round 26-20 (OT).

At times, it's been the offense that's more to blame for their failure to advance.
2007? Aaron Rodgers wasnt under Center, so that's doesn't fit IMO.
The 2015 game should've been put away at least 3 or 4 times but the Defense and Special Teams catastrophic meltdown cannot be attributed to our Offense. You maybe could say poor coaching or non aggressive play calling at best, but losing the 2014 NFC game did not rest on our Offense.
Of course improving the Offense is important also. It has its issues like almost every Offense, but this is the mindset that scares me. If we somehow try to deflect responsibility and accept this notion that our Defense is not a problem.. we're in for a very long and painful season.
Nothing personal, I know you're just trying to throw ideas around which is fine, but I'm not swallowing the "the defense is ok" pill.

Last edited:

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our offense is going to put up 40 ppg next year!!! Another good move, but we need DEFENSE!!!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting Tweets from Jared Cook:

Jared Cook‏Verified account @JaredCook89 15h15 hours ago
A lot of misinformation out there..I definitely did NOT turn down a deal...but one thing I can say for certain...

Thank you packers fans for such a epic experience. Had a great year, played w/some great teammates. Thanks for the support! You are amazing!
No offer right away..... Does that mean no offer at all? I don't know what cook is asking for or what Bennett got. But two great TEs for #12 is better than one. I bet Bennett is a better blocker too.

What's the chances?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting Tweets from Jared Cook:

A lot of misinformation out there..I definitely did NOT turn down a deal...but one thing I can say for certain...

Thank you packers fans for such a epic experience. Had a great year, played w/some great teammates. Thanks for the support! You are amazing!
Yep. Just seen the Kendricks signing...never mind

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, 4 of the 8 losses the defense has given up less than 30. Dantes was refuting the word "most". By definition, 50% isn't most. That would seem to refute the post Dantes was referencing.

The league average for points scored over the last nine seasons is 22.4. The defense hasn't been able to hold opponents under that number in any of the losses therefore it has failed most of the time.

Whike the offense has struggled at times in the playoffs against elite defenses there's absolutely mo doubt the defense is mostly to blame for the Packers not winning another Super Bowl.

Just a little more on Bennett. Saw an article on CBS sports say he was rated the 5th best TE by PFF last year and since 2012 he has the 6th most receiving yards for tight ends. Jared Cook is 26th

I'm sorry to break it to you but there's no reason to bring up PFF anymore now that Dantés is around. He has way better knowledge of the game based on because he told me so.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit, I was one of those who felt TT needed to resign Cook. That's because I didn't think for a second that Ted would sign Bennett. I sure hope the fact that he is almost a full month older doesn't come back to bite us in the ***. Maybe Bennett doesn't make that catch in Dallas but maybe he doesn't miss half the season and no one has to make that catch in Dallas because we are playing at home.

I would have been very happy with signing Cook for similar money but if the choice is Cook or Bennett for the same money I'll take Bennett any day. A huge upgrade? No but an upgrade none the less IMO.

I actually think it's kind of silly that anyone is saying, 'Could Bennett have made that catch in Dallas?' Uh, Bennett is plenty athletic to make that catch in Dallas.

Now, that doesn't mean he would have made it 10 times out of 10, and that isn't taking anything away from Cook, who made a great play on a great throw. But they're both very good athletes capable of that play.

Dragging the toes on the sidelines, while a great play, isn't a skill unique to Jared Cook. We actually had a similar catch that very game, can't remember if it was Jordy or Cobb.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think it's kind of silly that anyone is saying, 'Could Bennett have made that catch in Dallas?' Uh, Bennett is plenty athletic to make that catch in Dallas.

Now, that doesn't mean he would have made it 10 times out of 10, and that isn't taking anything away from Cook, who made a great play on a great throw. But they're both very good athletes capable of that play.

Dragging the toes on the sidelines, while a great play, isn't a skill unique to Jared Cook. We actually had a similar catch that very game, can't remember if it was Jordy or Cobb.
Yea it was Cobb when Rodgers was under pressure rolling to his right. It was a great throw under pressure followed by a great effort by Cobb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts