martellus Bennet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to say that I'm really surprised. Obviously Cook wasn't all that interested in coming back. I knew that the Pack had been interested in Bennett last year and didn't realize that he had only signed with NE for 1 year.

Curious as to what Aaron thinks about this. I read an article that Bennett and Rodgers have already spoken. Hopefully Bennett can continue to be what we need to keep things rolling and that he meshes with Aaron and the rest of the locker room.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Have to say that I'm really surprised. Obviously Cook wasn't all that interested in coming back. I knew that the Pack had been interested in Bennett last year and didn't realize that he had only signed with NE for 1 year.

Curious as to what Aaron thinks about this. I read an article that Bennett and Rodgers have already spoken. Hopefully Bennett can continue to be what we need to keep things rolling and that he meshes with Aaron and the rest of the locker room.
Pack and cook were close, on fact more money was offered to cook

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm shocked you have to ask this question being a Guy I'm sure who watches a lot of Packers games. Defense (or the lack thereof) has cost us just about every chance at going to the SB the past several seasons. TT hasn't done anything to improve the defense. People expect us to jump for joy because he lost Cook and had to sign a TT and managed to sign Bennett. So again, we NEED defense.

We do need to address the defense.

But as I looked into it, I was surprised to find that the statement in bold isn't as true as many of us have thought.

In 2007, they lost in the divisional round 23-20.

In 2013, they lost in the wildcard round 23-20.

In 2015, they lost in the divisional round 26-20 (OT).

At times, it's been the offense that's more to blame for their failure to advance.

mongoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess Cook wasn't humble enough to want to take what packers offered but to use last year's performance, thanks to rod, to negotiate a higher contract. Nice guy wish him luck.
Happy about bennet singing. If we had cook and bennet would be nice too.

D

Deleted member 6794

We do need to address the defense.

But as I looked into it, I was surprised to find that the statement in bold isn't as true as many of us have thought.

In 2007, they lost in the divisional round 23-20.

In 2013, they lost in the wildcard round 23-20.

In 2015, they lost in the divisional round 26-20 (OT).

At times, it's been the offense that's more to blame for their failure to advance.

Is there any plausible reason you ignore the playoff losses in which the Packers gave up 51, 37, 45, 28 and 44 points over the last eight seasons???

While the defense didn't allow a ton of points in the games you mentioned they weren't able to get a stop when needed the most at the end of the contest either.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The money officially looks like it's 3 years, $20.25M.

$6.3M signing bonus. Base salary this year of $900K, then $3.6M next year, then $5.65M in 2019. Roster bonus of $2M due on first day of 2018 league year.

Annual per game bonuses of up to 600K ($37,500 per game)? Workout bonus of $250K annually.

As far as I can determine that gives him a cap hit this year of $3.85M.

D

Deleted member 6794

The money officially looks like it's 3 years, $20.25M.

$6.3M signing bonus. Base salary this year of $900K, then $3.6M next year, then $5.65M in 2019. Roster bonus of $2M due on first day of 2018 league year.

Annual per game bonuses of up to 600K ($37,500 per game)? Workout bonus of $250K annually.

As far as I can determine that gives him a cap hit this year of $3.85M.

That should leave the Packers with close to $30 million in cap space for the 2017 season.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have structured these contracts to give them money to make a few more moves

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there any plausible reason you ignore the playoff losses in which the Packers gave up 51, 37, 45, 28 and 44 points over the last eight seasons???

While the defense didn't allow a ton of points in the games you mentioned they weren't able to get a stop when needed the most at the end of the contest either.
And he's also not really taking into account what the offense was composed of in the 2015 game.

Don't know how much it improves the offense over Cook. Even if it's a lateral move, it is a good one. He's likely a more dependable receiver and better blocker. Would have loved to see a CB acquired in FA, but I'm good with this move.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Well, 4 of the 8 losses the defense has given up less than 30. Dantes was refuting the word "most". By definition, 50% isn't most. That would seem to refute the post Dantes was referencing.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Because everyone is completely well aware that the defense has been the issue on many occasions and they're painfully well documented. If you took the time to follow the posts you'd see that I was replying to the notion that the defense has been at fault every time. Realizing that the offense has been more to blame on occasion is a good reminder not to ignore that side of the ball.

Believe it or not, no one is actually relying on you to remind them of common knowledge.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, 4 of the 8 losses the defense has given up less than 30. Dantes was refuting the word "most". By definition, 50% isn't most. That would seem to refute the post Dantes was referencing.

I really hope 'less than 30' isn't the bar we want to set for an acceptable defensive playoff performance.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
And he's also not really taking into account what the offense was composed of in the 2015 game.

Don't know how much it improves the offense over Cook. Even if it's a lateral move, it is a good one. He's likely a more dependable receiver and better blocker. Would have loved to see a CB acquired in FA, but I'm good with this move.
Precisely.

Tough to hold that against Aaron and the offense. Top 3 receivers out. Throwing to a dude with a hoodie, and 2 guys that combined for 11 catches for the entire season.

Regarding Bennett and the cap, I really like the way that his contract is structured. We definitely have the ability to really round out this roster.

Take advantage, TT. Remember, all in.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Because everyone is completely well aware that the defense has been the issue on many occasions and they're painfully well documented. If you took the time to follow the posts you'd see that I was replying to the notion that the defense has been at fault every time. Realizing that the offense has been more to blame on occasion is a good reminder not to ignore that side of the ball.

Believe it or not, no one is actually relying on you to remind them of common knowledge.
Big picture point: The defense has failed way more times than the offense. FIX the damn defense. Period.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Big picture point: The defense has failed way more times than the offense. FIX the damn defense. Period.

And I'm not disputing that. But don't totally ignore the offense either, because that will and has bitten them in the playoffs. Basically I was addressing the idea that the offense is generally better so it can be ignored, and that the defense has always been the issue.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I actually agree with that statement.

In all fairness however you can simply use the sane one for the major woes to last year's D.

A single positional group devestated by injuries has a compounding effect on what the unit can be as a whole.

But yes the D needs work regardless. I won't dispute that

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure you study the sport hard while asking why he was viewed as the 2nd best TE in NE, then trying to act like Bennett hasn't been a big time TE for years and neglecting the fact that by every metric Bennett was better the Cook just last season where both were in their 1st and only seasons respectively with HoF QBs at the top of their games.

I believe your a true student of the game
And you are a moron

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm shocked you have to ask this question being a Guy I'm sure who watches a lot of Packers games. Defense (or the lack thereof) has cost us just about every chance at going to the SB the past several seasons. TT hasn't done anything to improve the defense. People expect us to jump for joy because he lost Cook and had to sign a TT and managed to sign Bennett. So again, we NEED defense.

No doubt we need defense, I'm sure Poppa San knows that. I think his point was that EVERYONE knows that because the same people keep bringing it up in every freaking thread.

I know no one, myself included at times, can stay on topic in these threads but just once I would like to see a thread that goes past 5 posts without the usual gang of idiots (I love MAD magazine so that's a compliment in this case) bringing up the obvious about the defense.

Packers signed Bennet...Yeah but we need Defense.

Packers signed Perry... Yeah but we need defense.

We need defense...Yeah but we need defense

The Patriots just traded for Brandin Cooks...Yeah but we need defense.

It snowed last night...Yeah but we need defense.

The dog just took a ****...Yeah but we need defense.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure anyone's bagging Ted here. Coming into this offseason it was an absolute necessity to resign Cook...or to sign an equivalent talent. He's done that and thensome.

It's interesting to me that maybe this is an indication that he will make a decent signing on defense. That's my hope.

People are bagging Ted because it was the wrong Bennett brother. Just in case anyone forgot, we need defense.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not sure how switching Cook for Bennett is such a big deal. Cook is faster and younger.

Can we please stop using 'Cook is younger' as an advantage that Cook has over Bennett? Cook is 4 weeks younger. They were wearing the same size diapers at the same time. Each one of them has a 50/50 shot to outlive the other one. Cook is 'younger' only in the sense that the twin who comes out second is younger. Their age difference in NFL terms is meaningless.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we please stop using 'Cook is younger' as an advantage that Cook has over Bennett? Cook is 4 weeks younger. They were wearing the same size diapers at the same time. Each one of them has a 50/50 shot to outlive the other one. Cook is 'younger' only in the sense that the twin who comes out first is younger. Their age difference in NFL terms is meaningless.

They are doing it because if all you can say is he is faster than it sounds worse

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not sure how switching Cook for Bennett is such a big deal. Cook is faster and younger. I doubt Bennett makes the big play against Dallas. Bennett is bigger, a better blocker and has better hands and has been less injury prone. Not long ago everybody was sure TT needed to resign Cook. I like the signing and if Cook wanted more money than Bennett then the deal makes sense. Overall, both Cook and Bennett are each very good tight ends though each has a differect skill set. The team however really didn't get improved very much since the signing is a switch and not an addition of a talented player to replace a mediocre one. This is still the same team that got throttled by the Falcons.

I admit, I was one of those who felt TT needed to resign Cook. That's because I didn't think for a second that Ted would sign Bennett. I sure hope the fact that he is almost a full month older doesn't come back to bite us in the ***. Maybe Bennett doesn't make that catch in Dallas but maybe he doesn't miss half the season and no one has to make that catch in Dallas because we are playing at home.

I would have been very happy with signing Cook for similar money but if the choice is Cook or Bennett for the same money I'll take Bennett any day. A huge upgrade? No but an upgrade none the less IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts