martellus Bennet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I expect Bennett and Kendricks to put up better numbers than Cook next season there's no doubt the Packers offense performed on a higher level with him in the lineup in 2016.

Only took how many years after Finley's injury for the Packers to realize that they are better with a Cook/Bennett/Kendrick type TE? I honestly think not only did they fully realize it because of Cook, but Kendricks was viewed as a cheap insurance policy just in case Bennett gets hurt, "Double Down" on a good thing when you can!

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you're underestimating kendricks. Rodgers has no chance of taking snaps from him they aren't the same kind of player and thus will be used in different ways. pretty much since Rodgers can't block his only value is as a big target with great hands in the red zone. so I expect plenty of chances for Bennett and kendricks. Rodgers had 30 for 271 2 td cook was 30 for 377 1 td. Id guess at least 1000 yards and 10 td total between kendricks and Bennett. whatever Rodgers contributes will be minimal.

I think you're overvaluing Kendricks a bit. While he is more athletic than Rodgers he has only averaged a paltry 9.4 yards per catch over the last few seasons. I expect both of them to compete for snaps behind Bennett who will be the team's starter.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're overvaluing Kendricks a bit. While he is more athletic than Rodgers he has only averaged a paltry 9.4 yards per catch over the last few seasons. I expect both of them to compete for snaps behind Bennett who will be the team's starter.

he averaged 1 yard shy of exactly 10.0 last season 50 for 499 and in 2015 25 for 245 avg 9.8. so he averaged that with some of the worst quarterbacks in the league throwing to him while r Rodgers had the best qb in the league throwing to him. he averaged 9.0 and 8.8 granted he did have 8 td in 2015 so I do think he can be a contributor if used where he's effective which is goal to go situations. but I think it's fair to expect kendricks to improve with the first real qb of his career throwing him the ball while Rodgers has pretty much proven he's a 9 yards a catch guy who can't block

D

Deleted member 6794

he averaged 1 yard shy of exactly 10.0 last season 50 for 499 and in 2015 25 for 245 avg 9.8. so he averaged that with some of the worst quarterbacks in the league throwing to him while r Rodgers had the best qb in the league throwing to him. he averaged 9.0 and 8.8 granted he did have 8 td in 2015 so I do think he can be a contributor if used where he's effective which is goal to go situations. but I think it's fair to expect kendricks to improve with the first real qb of his career throwing him the ball while Rodgers has pretty much proven he's a 9 yards a catch guy who can't block

I'm not convinced Kendricks will put up way better numbers than with the Rams though. For example Cook still averaged 12.6 yards per reception playing with the same terrible quarterbacks in St. Louis.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah cook is a bit faster and bigger than Kendricks but not as heady of a player that's why I think he bumps to 11-11.5 maybe. I'm not saying alone I'd rather have kendricks over cook I'm saying that with Bennett as the starter and Rodgers the 3 I'd rather have kendricks as the 2 than cook

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah cook is a bit faster and bigger than Kendricks but not as heady of a player that's why I think he bumps to 11-11.5 maybe. I'm not saying alone I'd rather have kendricks over cook I'm saying that with Bennett as the starter and Rodgers the 3 I'd rather have kendricks as the 2 than cook

I would for sure prefer Cook over Kendricks as the #2 tight end but the salary cap makes it extremely difficult to have two highly paid players at the position.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and those tight ends went over 1000 yards in the same season at least once

H

HardRightEdge

I saw Richard Rodgers break a tackle once last season. Draft and develop! ;)

He's a big slow WR, just as he was at Stanford.

Reaction score
He put up 500 with St. Louis. That translates to about a million yards with Rodgers at QB.
I agree with that concept. Aaron Rodgers clearly makes receivers look pbetter than they are. If Cook would've dropped that pass it would've also made highlight reels it was that perfect of a throw.
I'll give credit to Cook for running a nice route, knowing where field goal territory is and keeping his feet in bounds. There are 2 dozen+ active receivers that would've made the catch that Cook made in Dallas.. but I can count on 1 hand the number of QBs who could've rolled out left under pressure, bought that kinda time and still had the presence to hit the bullseye with pinpoint accuracy considering the magnitude and clock time and I'd have to give great latitude to name them

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait, did anyone force Thompson to spend that much on Nelson and Cobb???
That's very interesting. I can just imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth here had Thompson let either Nelson or Cobb get away in FA. It would have been absolute mayhem in here, LOL.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's very interesting. I can just imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth here had Thompson let either Nelson or Cobb get away in FA. It would have been absolute mayhem in here, LOL.

There's no doubt it was the right decision to re-sign Nelson and Cobb. That wasn't the point of my post at all though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bennett will have Jermichael Finley type of stats

Yes Cook is faster than Bennett in a straight line, no argument there

But I would bet Bennett should be good for 60/700/6+ touchdowns

touchdwons are arbitrary tho

He will be a monster in GB

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Cook, thought he was a valuable contributer last year when he was available. that said, I Bennnett is better. Bigger, Stronger, better hands. He's plenty fast to play TE in the NFL. He is going to open up this offense for him and everyone else more than Cook did I think.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I like Cook, thought he was a valuable contributer last year when he was available. that said, I Bennnett is better. Bigger, Stronger, better hands. He's plenty fast to play TE in the NFL. He is going to open up this offense for him and everyone else more than Cook did I think.
I think commands more defensive attention consistently than Cook. The WR's will benefit from his presence I think.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure you study the sport hard while asking why he was viewed as the 2nd best TE in NE, then trying to act like Bennett hasn't been a big time TE for years and neglecting the fact that by every metric Bennett was better the Cook just last season where both were in their 1st and only seasons respectively with HoF QBs at the top of their games.

I believe your a true student of the game

Unfortunately, in the end of the day you have to truly understand the value of your players and what a difference their talent makes in your system. We signed (2) TEs for more money and then let one go who made a difference for our offense down the middle of the field. Now let me see if this makes any sense to you since your sarcastic comment is based on stats:

Bennett: 24 Catches on 38 Targets for 233yds for 9.7 yds/catch and 0 TDs - playing with Rodgers
Cook: 34 Catches on 49 Targets for 432 yds for 12.7 yds/catch and 1 TD - playing with Carr

Anyway, hopefully Bennett doesn't retire after this year then maybe he'll be able to bounce back. As they say since Hundley is now starting - that a TE is the best friend of a young QB.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Since the other Bennett thread was closed, the Patriots listed him as questionable Sunday. :rolleyes:

Starting to think the severity of this shoulder injury has been vastly overstated. If this joker actually plays...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts