Marquez Valdes-Scantling

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt MVS has made a decent impact considering he was drafted in the fifth round. He shouldn't be the second best receiver on a team competing for a Super Bowl though.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully fans can get off MVS' case
now. He can only do what he can do and it's not his fault that he is the second best WR on the team. I know in a few posts I was pretty critical of him dropping that last big pass and I still say every NFL caliber receiver should make that catch and I do think MVS is an NFL caliber receiver. I have also said many times that I think drops are a hugely overrated statistic. I'm not sure if Lazard could have been an effective number two guy had he not gotten hurt but I do think Funchess could have been. If the Packers can fill that spot I'll be happy with MVS on the field in three WR sets.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the Packers win the Super Bowl, are we still going to be hearing the argument that MVS "shouldn't be" the #2 on a team trying to win the Super Bowl?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers win the Super Bowl, are we still going to be hearing the argument that MVS "shouldn't be" the #2 on a team trying to win the Super Bowl?

Just because something is doesn't mean it should be. I'd still like to see someone else as our #2 guy. I don't like the idea of good enough.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just because something is doesn't mean it should be. I'd still like to see someone else as our #2 guy. I don't like the idea of good enough.

Yes, I understand. Ends don't always justify means. I just find it bizarre that this is still a daily topic of conversation after a season in which the Packers scored the 3rd most points per drive in NFL history. I would think by now that the people really upset about the WR situation (not saying you) would be appeased by the reality that the FO and staff seemed to know what they were doing.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt MVS has made a decent impact considering he was drafted in the fifth round. He shouldn't be the second best receiver on a team competing for a Super Bowl though.

Statistically he is our #2, but Lazard is clearly the #2 in the room. Just as if Davante missed the entire year and came back he is still our #1

I disagree with Lazard being a teams' #2 presently with the receiver he is, but I disagree that MVS is our #2 personally.

Arguably overall as an offense I think the highest rank you can place on him as an offensive weapon is #5 - Adams, Jones, Tonyan and Lazard all get more written and designed for them than MVS. Williams arguably is same level.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Maybe this is just me, but I think # designations are overrated.

You first need a well designed offense.

Then you need personnel to execute the design of the offense (or, if the personnel don't fit it exactly, to tweak the design to suit what you do have).

If you have the personnel to fit the roles required by a well designed offense, you can be successful.

Call MVS a #2 or a #3 or a #7b or whatever you want-- he fulfills a role in the design of the offense that's important, and he does it effectively enough for the Packers to have a truly elite offense.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Decent is an understatement for where he was drafted.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe this is just me, but I think # designations are overrated.

You first need a well designed offense.

Then you need personnel to execute the design of the offense (or, if the personnel don't fit it exactly, to tweak the design to suit what you do have).

If you have the personnel to fit the roles required by a well designed offense, you can be successful.

Call MVS a #2 or a #3 or a #7b or whatever you want-- he fulfills a role in the design of the offense that's important, and he does it effectively enough for the Packers to have a truly elite offense.

THANK YOU!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That sentence is the definition of selling someone short. You want me to go back through drafts since 2015 or later and find out just how many WRs performed at his level from each draft class to his level?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just for clarity, MVS is 4th on the Packers in terms of targets per game.

1. Adams: 10.6
2. Lazard:4.6
3. Jones: 4.5
4. MVS: 3.9
5. Tonyan: 3.7

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Stop sharing items that disclaim the false narrative folks desire to push.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I know he can’t hear me, but I just need to point out that “we should have drafted a WR so we could let Adams walk” is a real doozy of an argument.

If you Know he can`t hear you or see you, why bother trying to rattle his cage with this comment ? I don`t see the point.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If you Know he can`t hear you or see you, why bother trying to rattle his cage with this comment ? I don`t see the point.

I’m not rattling his cage, I’m pointing something out about the argument to the rest of the forum. That’s the idea, as I see it— to discuss ideas. He couldn’t read it but everyone else could.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'll have no problem eating crow if the Packers are able to win a Super Bowl this year, given that part of the reason I predicted they would lose in the NFC Championship this year would be not enough talent at wide receiver.

Regardless, even if the Packers win the Super Bowl, the team should still seek improvements at the position. I'm fine with MVS' role on the team, but I've also dared to point out that he shouldn't drop easy passes and fumble the football in the final drive of a game. I'm not one of the "MVS radicals" (yes, I just invented that phrase).

I underestimated how effective the scheme would be, especially with a resurgent Aaron Rodgers. I think it's fair to point out that part of the reason so many were skeptical of the WR group is because I don't think even the most adamant Rodgers believers thought he would have a season like this.

This isn't just some random cat behind center. I'd be curious to see a non top 5 QB running the offense and then evaluate the needs of the WR group. But regardless, at the end of the day, we do have Rodgers and that should be accounted for.

D

Deleted member 6794

No, but you will for sure hear about it if they fall short of winning the Super Bowl because the offense struggled.

I just find it bizarre that this is still a daily topic of conversation after a season in which the Packers scored the 3rd most points per drive in NFL history. I would think by now that the people really upset about the WR situation (not saying you) would be appeased by the reality that the FO and staff seemed to know what they were doing.

On the other side it's mind-boggling that a lot of posters don't seem to understand that this offense could even be better with a more talented #2 receiver on the field.

Statistically he is our #2, but Lazard is clearly the #2 in the room. Just as if Davante missed the entire year and came back he is still our #1

I disagree with Lazard being a teams' #2 presently with the receiver he is, but I disagree that MVS is our #2 personally.

Actually it doesn't matter as Lazard shouldn't be the #2 receiver on a Super Bowl contender either.

Decent is an understatement for where he was drafted.

You might be right about that but on the other side there's no reason to consider MVS in a class with Tyreek Hill, Stefon Diggs or Antonio Brown who were drafted in the fifth round or later as well.

That sentence is the definition of selling someone short. You want me to go back through drafts since 2015 or later and find out just how many WRs performed at his level from each draft class to his level?

MVS ranks 48th among all receivers drafted since 2015 in receptions in their first three seasons as well as 31st in yards.

As I mentioned, decent.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I’m not rattling his cage, I’m pointing something out about the argument to the rest of the forum. That’s the idea, as I see it— to discuss ideas. He couldn’t read it but everyone else could.

But your opening line is "I know he can`t hear me !", to me that is provoking a response !. I`m not saying you opinion wasn`t right, but.......

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
But your opening line is "I know he can`t hear me !", to me that is provoking a response !. I`m not saying you opinion wasn`t right, but.......

I'm provoking a response from him by acknowledging that he won't see my post?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
MVS ranks 48th among all receivers drafted since 2015 in receptions in their first three seasons as well as 31st in yards.

As I mentioned, decent.

Now where does he rank among receivers drafted after the top 100?

trabob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully fans can get off MVS' case
now. He can only do what he can do and it's not his fault that he is the second best WR on the team. I know in a few posts I was pretty critical of him dropping that last big pass and I still say every NFL caliber receiver should make that catch and I do think MVS is an NFL caliber receiver. I have also said many times that I think drops are a hugely overrated statistic. I'm not sure if Lazard could have been an effective number two guy had he not gotten hurt but I do think Funchess could have been. If the Packers can fill that spot I'll be happy with MVS on the field in three WR sets.
We can not afford him to drop another td pass, it could cost the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No, but you will for sure hear about it if they fall short of winning the Super Bowl because the offense struggled.

On the other side it's mind-boggling that a lot of posters don't seem to understand that this offense could even be better with a more talented #2 receiver on the field.

Actually it doesn't matter as Lazard shouldn't be the #2 receiver on a Super Bowl contender either.

You might be right about that but on the other side there's no reason to consider MVS in a class with Tyreek Hill, Stefon Diggs or Antonio Brown who were drafted in the fifth round or later as well.

As I mentioned, decent.

Careful, none of this fits the narrative of those that think that both MVS and Lazard have exceeded what we should have expected of them, based on how they were obtained. Couple that with the fact that the Packers offense has done really well this year and people like you and I, who think they could have been even better with better WR's are just making sh*t up.

All that said, the Packers have a very legit shot at winning a Super Bowl, but I really doubt history, at least up until now, will credit anyone in the WR room, besides Adams, for the accomplishments of this season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Haven't read the whole thread, so just wondering what position this supports. He's the third WR listed but ahead of a TE with whom we're all impressed, so do we think he's better or worse because of this?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Haven't read the whole thread, so just wondering what position this supports. He's the third WR listed but ahead of a TE with whom we're all impressed, so do we think he's better or worse because of this?

It's not meant to support any position. I just checked myself where he is on the team in terms of target totals and decided to share the information.

Staff online

Members online