Lucas Patrick 2 Yr Extension

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It always puzzled me why Linsley got a big extension while the Packers let JC Tretter go to the Browns for much less money. Linsley is whatever. He's ok. I think he's pretty replaceable. Tretter is better than Linsley.

Also, Bryan Bulaga deserves a shout out. For all the crap he takes, the guy played in every single game this season and played extremely well. He's just completing a 5 year, 33M deal and he was an absolute bargain at that rate even with the missed injury time.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It always puzzled me why Linsley got a big extension while the Packers let JC Tretter go to the Browns for much less money. Linsley is whatever. He's ok. I think he's pretty replaceable. Tretter is better than Linsley.

Also, Bryan Bulaga deserves a shout out. For all the crap he takes, the guy played in every single game this season and played extremely well. He's just completing a 5 year, 33M deal and he was an absolute bargain at that rate even with the missed injury time.

GB let Tretter walk because he hit FA a year before Linsley, and the latter was entrenched as the starter. It would not have made sense to give Tretter a 2nd contract while you have a starter in house and still on a rookie deal. And while Linsley was not the model of healthy early in his career, Tretter's durability was another reason why he was allowed to leave and why he signed for less money.

He missed almost his entire rookie year on the PUP list. He missed two months during his second season on IR (he was designated to return). He had one healthy season, during which he spent the majority of the year backing up Linsley. He then missed the final 9 games of his last season in Green Bay. So in four years with the Packers, he missed 33 games with injury.

To his credit, he's been healthy for every game since leaving. That's great for him. But I don't think he's markedly better than Linsley. I think they're comparable players, and Green Bay's choice in which one to keep makes perfect sense to me.

D

Deleted member 6794

drafting a bulaga caliber RT would be a thousand to one shot. installing a less competent guy shouldn't be considered whatever they do. this goes for every position along the line.

The chances are definitely better to draft an adequate replacement for Bulaga. Installing a less competent player shouldn't be the plan at any position but sometimes the salary cap doesn't allow to re-sign everybody.

I think 3 years, 40M, with 25 guaranteed would be a realistic option. Lots of guaranteed money in 2020 and 2021 with the ability to get out in 2022.

Bulaga should cost 12M+ based on the most relevant comparisons.[/QUOTE]

That's way too much money for Bulaga, considering he will be 31 years old next season and has a significant injury history.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That's way too much money for Bulaga, considering he will be 31 years old next season and has a significant injury history.

I totally disagree. Bulaga's age and durability history might impact the number of years in the deal, but it won't push his average number super low unless he's in the mood to give out a big hometown discount.

Consider what lesser players at the position have been getting. Lane Johnson (30) makes 18M on average. Trent Brown got 16.5M/season. Ja'Wuan James got 12.75M.

Bulaga is a lot better than Brown and James. So 12M is actually a discount.

D

Deleted member 6794

I totally disagree. Bulaga's age and durability history might impact the number of years in the deal, but it won't push his average number super low unless he's in the mood to give out a big hometown discount.

Consider what lesser players at the position have been getting. Lane Johnson (30) makes 18M on average. Trent Brown got 16.5M/season. Ja'Wuan James got 12.75M.

Bulaga is a lot better than Brown and James. So 12M is actually a discount.

Just because other teams overpaid for right tackles that haven't performed on Bulaga's level doesn't mean it would be smart for the Packers to offer Bulaga a deal like the one you suggested. $12 million per season definitely shouldn't be considered a discount for him.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just because other teams overpaid for right tackles that haven't performed on Bulaga's level doesn't mean it would be smart for the Packers to offer Bulaga a deal like the one you suggested. $12 million per season definitely shouldn't be considered a discount for him.

Why not? Lane Johnson got 18M/season at 29, and he's also missed a ton of time over his career.

The way I see it, the Packers can either pay Bulaga, an elite right tackle, a reasonable number that he deserves, or they can become one of the teams vying to overpay lesser talent on the open market. Or, I suppose, they can paint themselves into a corner on draft day and cross their fingers that they get lucky.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Why not? Lane Johnson got 18M/season at 29, and he's also missed a ton of time over his career.

The way I see it, the Packers can either pay Bulaga, an elite right tackle, a reasonable number that he deserves, or they can become one of the teams vying to overpay lesser talent on the open market. Or, I suppose, they can paint themselves into a corner on draft day and cross their fingers that they get lucky.
I can promise I would much rather pay Bulaga 12 million a season before being left without a viable replacement.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I can promise I would much rather pay Bulaga 12 million a season before being left without a viable replacement.

And I'd rather pay him a higher average salary on a shorter term contract than the reverse.

In my opinion, his age and durability should factor in to length of commitment moreso than yearly average.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And even at that, you'd be replacing him with a far lesser player. Bulaga misses some games, but when he's out there he's a top 3 right tackle.

The best case scenario would be backing up a truck load of cash for the inconsistent Jack Conklin, who almost certainly won't actually make it out of Tennessee in the first place.

The realistic options are Daryl Williams, Germain Ifedi, Brandon Shell, and Shon Coleman. Gross.

I will say when Bulaga got concussed I didn't notice a big drop off with Veldheer in there in his stead. Thanks Gutey! :D

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Didn't Tretter have issues staying healthy with us?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The chances are definitely better to draft an adequate replacement for Bulaga. Installing a less competent player shouldn't be the plan at any position but sometimes the salary cap doesn't allow to re-sign everybody.

Bulaga should cost 12M+ based on the most relevant comparisons.

That's way too much money for Bulaga, considering he will be 31 years old next season and has a significant injury history.[/QUOTE]

Maybe his age and injury history will make other teams pause at giving him 12M and he'll stay in GB for less?

Reaction score

He’s obviously not the oldest OL. But considering his age + his injury history he shouldn’t command top dollar (although I understand its market price.. the same reason I don’t by the “market price” fish= “overpriced” unless I’m trying to win a girl over and I’ve already got one and she doesn’t even like fish).

GB should move on from him anything over 10M annual and even at that # it would have to be incentive laden to get there. Such as making the NFC game etc.. I don’t see him in our not too distant future, might be time part ways. We need to look towards a long term option.

Let someone else over pay him.

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say when Bulaga got concussed I didn't notice a big drop off with Veldheer in there in his stead. Thanks Gutey! :D

That has worked out well, but he's even older than Bulaga and also has an injury history.

Rolling with him is sufficient, IF we draft a RT for the future, say in the 3rd-4th round. And we hit on him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lane Johnson never suffered a season ending injury but missed most of the games because of a suspension.

Mitchell Schwartz's contract (seecond team All-Pro this season) that averages $8 million per season should be one the Packers try to convince Bulaga to agree to.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Lane Johnson never suffered a season ending injury but missed most of the games because of a suspension.

Mitchell Schwartz's contract (seecond team All-Pro this season) that averages $8 million per season should be one the Packers try to convince Bulaga to agree to.

Schwartz signed a 5 year, 33M deal with the Chiefs in 2016 and they then added a one year extension worth 11.25M before this most recent season.

That's how his contract arrived at the 8M average. Being a unique situation, I don't think it's a good comp, especially when you consider how the market has been more recently reset.

But if Bulaga would go for it, then yeah that would be great.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here we are now further down the road and this savvy extension truly could be the difference between our OL transitioning to a new look and staying solid vs trying to overcome two starters lost and a Bahk injury loss to start the year.

Type of move that gets ignored but is crucial.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I have him penciled in as the starting center ATM. Right guard if not the center. His position depends on the landing spots for Runyon, Hanson, and if they resign Nijman. This is b4 adding any draft picks into the mix. I'd look for OTs to be drafted and not iOL.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have him penciled in as the starting center ATM. Right guard if not the center. His position depends on the landing spots for Runyon, Hanson, and if they resign Nijman. This is b4 adding any draft picks into the mix. I'd look for OTs to be drafted and not iOL.

I as well would almost prefer two athletic OTs that show agility to slide inside if needed rather than drafting an iOL only - unless one of the few TOP FLIGHT ones.

Runyon is a guard, and I think will start barring some rookie coming in. The question will be if we have a center step forward in Patrick/Hanson or draftee to make Jenkins able to stay right where he is at OR sneak in a thought of being our Bahk for a time being.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Nijman is now under contract. He’s showing up on the roster at Packers.com

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Nijman is now under contract. He’s showing up on the roster at Packers.com
This is Nijman's 3rd year so hopefully shows some capability. He was horribly slow/lumbering at the combine (I believe 8.07 3 cone) which dropped him in the draft. Maybe if he's mentally comfortable can play faster this year?

Correction: at his pro day ran 4.88 in the 40, and 7.29 3-cone. Bad day or injury at combine? He's far more athletic than I have him credit.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on the overall sentiment. Lucas Patrick has been the perfect example of the type of player that you want on your roster backing up the starters. The big question is how well he can step into the big shoes.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He’s also showing up on OTC as 850,000 for 2021.
But he doesn't show up in the Packers transaction list
  • 01/26
    WR Reggie Begelton, C Jake Hanson, K JJ Molson, CB KeiVarae Russell, DL Delontae Scott and WR Juwann Winfree signed
  • 01/25
    LB Tipa Galeai, LB De'Jon Harris, G Zack Johnson, TE Isaac Nauta, DL Willington Previlon, DL Anthony Rush, CB Stanford Samuels, RB Mike Weber, RB Dexter Williams and P Ryan Winslow signed

• 04/02
      S Will Redmond re-signed
    MARCH
    • 03/30
      TE Lewis and DL Lancaster re-signed
    • 03/26
      CB Kevin King re-signed
    • 03/26
      RB Aaron Jones re-signed
    • 03/24
      LS Joe Fortunato signed
    • 03/12
      TE John Lovett released
    FEBRUARY
    • 02/19
      LB Christian Kirksey and T Rick Wagner released
But he is on the depth chart as the only RT.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s really difficult to stay up to date when so many sites you’d think would be on top of stuff are so incredibly slow to update basic info about the team. I find it disgusting to put it mildly.

Latest posts