Lucas Patrick 2 Yr Extension

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Patrick signed a two year extension worth a mere 3.6M this last week.

Given that he is a quality backup at three OL spots in a league starved for quality OL play, I think this was a savvy move. Patrick's value, coincidentally, became clear immediately as he had to come in for an injured Linsley against Detroit and played pretty well.

But this move raised my eyebrow regarding the future of Corey Linsley.

Linsley is a good center. He's better than your average league starter, while not being among the best at the position. 2020 will also be his final season under contract. His cap number will be 10.5M, while his dead cap figure if released is 2M (ergo, the Packers can save 8.5M in cap space in 2020 by releasing him).

Patrick probably isn't a guy who steps right in for Linsley without any drop off. However, making the move to keep him might signal plans to move on from the current starter. The thought might be to have Patrick on hand while also drafting someone in the middle rounds and having them compete for the starting job. Freeing up 8.5M in space would make it a lot easier to retain Bulaga, who would be considerably more difficult to replace.

I hasten to add that Patrick's signing, given that it's two years, could be designed to help bridge to a new starter at center after the 2020 season. Patrick's contract number is low enough that it's perfectly reasonable to assume that GB just views him as a good backup. I am not advocating for Linsley's release necessarily, but I've had a notion that such a move might be coming, and after this extension I feel that it's at least a little bit more likely.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubtful that this is just a simple contract extension. Looks like this is the beginning of a shake up on the o line. My guess is that Gute lets Bulaga walk or trades Lindsley for a draft pick to open up more cap space. Last year, when Gute extended Lowry, it meant that Daniels was gone. That's why I think there are ulterior motives here.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Doubtful that this is just a simple contract extension. Looks like this is the beginning of a shake up on the o line. My guess is that Gute lets Bulaga walk or trades Lindsley for a draft pick to open up more cap space. Last year, when Gute extended Lowry, it meant that Daniels was gone. That's why I think there are ulterior motives here.

You may be right, but just to play the other side for the sake of discussion-- Lowry's contract number made it clear that he was going to be a starter or major role player in the defense. Patrick's contract number could feasibly just mean he's a backup for a couple more seasons.

H

HardRightEdge

I hasten to add that Patrick's signing, given that it's two years, could be designed to help bridge to a new starter at center after the 2020 season.
That stikes me as the more likely scenario.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers extending Patrick might be a sign that they think about moving on from Linsley. It doesn't have any affect on their decision with Bulaga though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers extending Patrick might be a sign that they think about moving on from Linsley. It doesn't have any affect on their decision with Bulaga though.

I heard before Turner to rt and pat to right guard as a possibility..

don't be so absolute in that it won't affect their bulaga stance

Pat did start once at rt in college

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been saying this since the extension happened. As much as I am a Linsley fan and HATE to see him go. Fiscally this is an amazing move IF Gute trades or even cuts Linsley freeing up over $8 Million if he does it before sometime in March. Combine this move with a Graham cut and you instantly have the cash to get that bonafide #2 WR if one is out there in the FA market you want.

It is incredibly easier to replace a center, even one at Linsley's caliber...but this in no way impacts the Bulaga position...directly at least. It would indirectly make signing him even easier as we free up some cash. Bulaga to me is a must resign on a 2 year deal as well...he and the team know he is on the end of his career but is still MORE than capable and knows his super bowl shot lies in Aaron Rodgers and this team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I heard before Turner to rt and pat to right guard as a possibility..

don't be so absolute in that it won't affect their bulaga stance

Pat did start once at rt in college

Would you feel comfortable about Patrick and Turner starting on the right side of the offensive line??? I definitely wouldn't and think that Gutekunst agrees with my take.

It should be pretty obvious that re-signing Patrick doesn't affect Bulaga's status entering the offseason.

Bulaga to me is a must resign on a 2 year deal as well...he and the team know he is on the end of his career but is still MORE than capable and knows his super bowl shot lies in Aaron Rodgers and this team.

The Packers either need to re-sign Bulaga or adequately replace him in free agency or the draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do believe as small of a move as it may seem re-signing Veldheer OR signing a similar FA given Bulaga's age/injury history is almost as pivotal as re-signing him I believe.

D

Deleted member 6794

I do believe as small of a move as it may seem re-signing Veldheer OR signing a similar FA given Bulaga's age/injury history is almost as pivotal as re-signing him I believe.

If Veldheer wants to continue his career the Packers definitely should bring him back as an insurance policy.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
True, while not impossible it would take a boatload of money to replace Bulaga in free agency.

And even at that, you'd be replacing him with a far lesser player. Bulaga misses some games, but when he's out there he's a top 3 right tackle.

The best case scenario would be backing up a truck load of cash for the inconsistent Jack Conklin, who almost certainly won't actually make it out of Tennessee in the first place.

The realistic options are Daryl Williams, Germain Ifedi, Brandon Shell, and Shon Coleman. Gross.

D

Deleted member 6794

And even at that, you'd be replacing him with a far lesser player. Bulaga misses some games, but when he's out there he's a top 3 right tackle.

The best case scenario would be backing up a truck load of cash for the inconsistent Jack Conklin, who almost certainly won't actually make it out of Tennessee in the first place.

The realistic options are Daryl Williams, Germain Ifedi, Brandon Shell, and Shon Coleman. Gross.

I have to admit that I haven't even taken a look at potential free agents at right tackle next offseason.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
drafting a bulaga caliber RT would be a thousand to one shot. they'd be much better off extending him a couple of years. as rodgers ages the O line only gets MORE important. free agency might cost them more than bulaga would. whatever's cheaper though. installing a less competent guy shouldn't be considered whatever they do. this goes for every position along the line.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
drafting a bulaga caliber RT would be a thousand to one shot. they'd be much better off extending him a couple of years. as rodgers ages the O line only gets MORE important. free agency might cost them more than bulaga would. whatever's cheaper though. installing a less competent guy shouldn't be considered whatever they do. this goes for every position along the line.

Agree, however I sense for sometime now the GB plan has been to never really stop pushing draft picks towards strong OL guys that could boom or bust....Linsley and Spriggs are great examples...of BOTH ways it can go. Jenkins this last year again...I suspect we see a nod yet again with one of our first 3 picks at a guy that could be part of the future. It is a tactic I hope we never stop doing...and honestly is a nock of a draft IMO if you don't grab a potential OL in the first three picks unless the draft completely is void of solid depth there or other stuff falls your way in a manner you cannot avoid picking elsewhere.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also fully admit my example made it seem like Linsley was a high pick...he was not.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I think 3 years, 40M, with 25 guaranteed would be a realistic option. Lots of guaranteed money in 2020 and 2021 with the ability to get out in 2022.

Reaction score
Patrick signed a two year extension worth a mere 3.6M this last week.

Given that he is a quality backup at three OL spots in a league starved for quality OL play, I think this was a savvy move. Patrick's value, coincidentally, became clear immediately as he had to come in for an injured Linsley against Detroit and played pretty well.

But this move raised my eyebrow regarding the future of Corey Linsley.

Linsley is a good center. He's better than your average league starter, while not being among the best at the position. 2020 will also be his final season under contract. His cap number will be 10.5M, while his dead cap figure if released is 2M (ergo, the Packers can save 8.5M in cap space in 2020 by releasing him).

Patrick probably isn't a guy who steps right in for Linsley without any drop off. However, making the move to keep him might signal plans to move on from the current starter. The thought might be to have Patrick on hand while also drafting someone in the middle rounds and having them compete for the starting job. Freeing up 8.5M in space would make it a lot easier to retain Bulaga, who would be considerably more difficult to replace.

I hasten to add that Patrick's signing, given that it's two years, could be designed to help bridge to a new starter at center after the 2020 season. Patrick's contract number is low enough that it's perfectly reasonable to assume that GB just views him as a good backup. I am not advocating for Linsley's release necessarily, but I've had a notion that such a move might be coming, and after this extension I feel that it's at least a little bit more likely.
This was a great signing and I’m not anti Linsley by any stretch. He’s been an above average to average+ player in my opinion.
8M goes a long ways in solidifying another position if need into a strength.
I don’t even think Bulaga would cost that much (8M+) but it makes sense that resigning him buy us time to focus on other positions of need. We could even wait until 3rd day to sign another OT that has the upside but needs refining.
Also, 8M savings could allow you a player of Adrian Amos quality. Maybe not a game changing superstar, but consistent play above his average peers. Wouldn’t it be great to nail another ILB or DT or the like to help put the finishing touches on a D that is just a couple of key pieces from putting it all together. We’re talking a top 5 scoring D range.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Another thought on Linsley...I don't know what it is, but it seems like so many snaps come out low to the point that Rodgers has to bend down to get it. That only delays his drop back and getting through his progressions. A split second in the pocket makes a huge difference.

If I recall, all of Patrick's seemed to hit AR in the chest area.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thought on Linsley...I don't know what it is, but it seems like so many snaps come out low to the point that Rodgers has to bend down to get it. That only delays his drop back and getting through his progressions. A split second in the pocket makes a huge difference.

If I recall, all of Patrick's seemed to hit AR in the chest area.

Not all, but Patrick as he got more comfortable did IMO have better positioned snaps than Linsley has had of late.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This was a great signing and I’m not anti Linsley by any stretch. He’s been an above average to average+ player in my opinion.
8M goes a long ways in solidifying another position if need into a strength.
I don’t even think Bulaga would cost that much (8M+) but it makes sense that resigning him buy us time to focus on other positions of need. We could even wait until 3rd day to sign another OT that has the upside but needs refining.
Also, 8M savings could allow you a player of Adrian Amos quality. Maybe not a game changing superstar, but consistent play above his average peers. Wouldn’t it be great to nail another ILB or DT or the like to help put the finishing touches on a D that is just a couple of key pieces from putting it all together. We’re talking a top 5 scoring D range.

Bulaga should cost 12M+ based on the most relevant comparisons.

Members online

Latest posts