Lions - Studs and Duds

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen this been mentioned in this thread but who the hell thought it was a good idea to target Bakhtiari on the fourth down play which resulted in Rodgers' second interception??? That was most likely the dumbest play call I have seen in a long, long time.
Why was it a dumb play call? He was WIDE OPEN. Rodgers just threw it about 3 yards short to the other team instead. The play call wasn't the problem. The execution was. But I digress. Rodgers cannot be blamed, according to some. It was MLF's fault!!!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you are either disingenuous or didn’t t actually watch the whole game. The boneheaded penalty was a late tackle out of bounds which he double downed on by mocking the crowd and refs immediately after doing it begore the flag could even be thrown.
False dichotomy bro. I'm neither disingenuous nor did I not watch the game. I simply forgot that play, smarty-pants.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about his un sportsmanlike conduct penalty that he waved and laughed off?
Forget it Crow just noticed somebody else posted it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wasn't the pass tipped or am I not remembering correctly?

Wasn’t tipped. Lb made great play
Ball wasnt tipped...it was totally underthrown by Rodgers. He blamed it on him falling to his right. Have seen him make that type of throw 100's of times, this time he put nothing behind it. threw it short and it was a Lollipop for the LB to intercept.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Savage is the worst starting player in the sport. I am wondering if he's pulling an opposite of Calvin Ridley and betting on his own team to lose. He brings nothing to the table. Put him at corner or bench him now plus cut him after 2022.

Dean Lowry doesn't get noticed because he plays d-line but a garbage $8 mil a year player. Kenny Clark has completely disappeared of late too.

Stud: the remaining schedule has no more of those worthless artificial turf stadiums left. A pain we have to deal with it at least 2 times a year every year.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they scrap up a few more wins potentially they are too hurt and playing bad to do anything I personally would like to see them get a high pick and trade those for future assets when Rodgers does retire
Someone told me yesterday that we could run the table....in losses.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they scrap up a few more wins potentially they are too hurt and playing bad to do anything I personally would like to see them get a high pick and trade those for future assets when Rodgers does retire
I too suspect AR will retire after this season. It is just a gut feeling on my part...

D

Deleted member 6794

Agree. The KC start that Love got awhile back wasn't even really a fair opportunity for him IMHO

Why was the Chiefs game last year not a fair opportunity for Love to show some promise???

With that being said the guy has played like crap. The throw off the guys face mask for a INT was just a weird play..but the other 2 were just some dumb stupid throws smh.

Actually the first interception was a terrible throw by Rodgers as well. The third one not so much though.

If I'm making the draft pick I'm looking at the guys coming out of Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, LSU, etc. Traditional powerhouses.

A lot of the top quarterbacks in the league actually didn't play for true powerhouses in college.

Except Gute and Murphy can't draft. They seem unwilling to trade and don't do anything in free agency either. If Rodgers retires or gets traded, the dead cap hit will be with this team for a few years.

Gutekunst has been active in free agency but hasn't had enough cap space to make major moves over the past few years. The Packers can get rid of Rodgers' dead money cap hit in a single season.

What? Are you being serious or sarcastic? Bahk was fricking wide open, it was a great play call. Rodgers just choked and threw a terrible pass to a wide open player.

I'm sorry but having your struggling quarterback throw across his body to an offensive tackle who can't stay on the field is a terrible idea on a fourth down play. As I have mentioned before there's no doubt it was a terrible throw by Rodgers though.

Ok. However when you look at the opponents we’ve played, our D has faced Offenses ranked
Vikings (15th)
Bears (17th)
Tampa (24th)
Patriots (9th)
Giants (23rd)
Jets (14th)
WTF (25th)
Bills (5th)
Lions (16th)
You could say no true bottom feeder (bottom 5 etc)
We can’t say we’ve played bad Offenses because the average rounded to a whole number is 16th ranked.

I don't know where you take your numbers from but the ones list above off again.

Our Offense is near poor level (26th ranked) but our Defense has actually kept us alive in every game this season except maybe the Giants contest (27 pts allowed)? Every other contest our Defense has allowed 24 points or less(down to 10)

The defense allowed 27 points against the Bills as well.

Duds: everyone who blasted me for saying trade Aaron Jones and all assets worth anything at the deadline. This team is done. Now Jones is injured, the offense is on life support with him anyway.

Jones has a decent chance of playing this week.

Not really a "dual threat" with only 403 yds rushing in 3 yrs. on 170 attempts (2.4 ypc).

When taking a look at rushing stats for college quarterbacks you need to consider that sacks are counted as negative rushing yards.

Yup and I have seen how the rest of the league has drafted too, so what is your point?

The rest of the league has drafted significantly better than the Packers.

So not a good time to be putting in Love. Can't judge how good he is if he has no receivers and no protection.

But it's no problem blaming Rodgers for the offense struggling despite of it???

Then next season, he lost his coach. He lost 4 starters on his OL who were all replaced with sophomores and freshmen. His top two receivers graduated and several other offensive players transferred. There wasn't much left in the cupboard for him or his coach to work with, so Gary Anderson basically told him to go out there and throw caution to the wind and wing it. So he did. I also recall, per an Athlon Sports article, that of the 17 INTs he threw, 7 of those were tipped by his receivers, including 2 in one game. Utah State was also 8th in D1 for dropped passes.

According to PFF there were only three quarterbacks in the FBS to throw more turnover worthy passes than Love in 2019. On the other side 21 others had receivers drop more of their throws.

So if you think Rodgers doesn't have much to work with this year, Love had far less to work with in 2019. Yet he still managed to lead his gutted team to 4 wins.

Utah State won seven games that year.

That, combined with his 2018 production when he actually had a decent team, is why he was drafted. He also has the skillset that MLF wants for his offense. MFL requested he be drafted.

Do you have any evidence for MLF wanting the Packers to draft Love???

I too suspect AR will retire after this season. It is just a gut feeling on my part...

I don't expect Rodgers wants to end his career after a losing season.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why was the Chiefs game last year not a fair opportunity for Love to show some promise???

Actually the first interception was a terrible throw by Rodgers as well. The third one not so much though.

A lot of the top quarterbacks in the league actually didn't play for true powerhouses in college.

Gutekunst has been active in free agency but hasn't had enough cap space to make major moves over the past few years. The Packers can get rid of Rodgers' dead money cap hit in a single season.

I'm sorry but having your struggling quarterback throw across his body to an offensive tackle who can't stay on the field is a terrible idea on a fourth down play. As I have mentioned before there's no doubt it was a terrible throw by Rodgers though.

I don't know where you take your numbers from but the ones list above off again.

When taking a look at rushing stats for college quarterbacks you need to consider that sacks are counted as negative rushing yards.

According to PFF there were only three quarterbacks in the FBS to throw more turnover worthy passes than Love in 2019. On the other side 21 others had receivers drop more of their throws.

You may be right but he isn't having a lot of fun this season.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're looking at a VERY small sample size. Speaking of which, what did you think of Rodgers' accuracy and decision-making yesterday?
Bad. But I've also seen Rodgers make incredible plays over many years.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was drafted because they felt they had 3 more years with Rodgers . Not start right away like some
I'd have no problem with that . . . if they'd taken him in the 3rd round. Nothing wrong with taking a flyer on a project as long as you don't do it with a high first round pick.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting that you actually post the numbers for his 2019 season but not for 2018. His numbers for 2018 weren't just "good." They were outstanding. He passed for 32 TDs and 6 INTs. He also had 7 rushing TDs. Then next season, he lost his coach. He lost 4 starters on his OL who were all replaced with sophomores and freshmen. His top two receivers graduated and several other offensive players transferred. There wasn't much left in the cupboard for him or his coach to work with, so Gary Anderson basically told him to go out there and throw caution to the wind and wing it. So he did. I also recall, per an Athlon Sports article, that of the 17 INTs he threw, 7 of those were tipped by his receivers, including 2 in one game. Utah State was also 8th in D1 for dropped passes.

So if you think Rodgers doesn't have much to work with this year, Love had far less to work with in 2019. Yet he still managed to lead his gutted team to 4 wins. That, combined with his 2018 production when he actually had a decent team, is why he was drafted. He also has the skillset that MLF wants for his offense. MFL requested he be drafted.
32 TDs versus 6 INTs would impress me more if he'd done it against teams like Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Clemson, OSU, Michigan, Penn State, etc. Even against the likes of USC, Florida, Miami. I think he was a medium-sized fish in a small pond. Well and good. Give him a shot -- maybe he's the next Brady. But don't spend a first round pick on him.

Again, I'll be happy if I'm wrong about Love. Put him out there for the rest of the season if you like. We're not making the playoffs in any case.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isn’t walking away from the money he ain’t retiring. Also if Brady retired he would wait another year regardless he wouldn’t share the same year with Brady.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isn’t walking away from the money he ain’t retiring. Also if Brady retired he would wait another year regardless he wouldn’t share the same year with Brady.
Who says Brady is retiring after this year? Maritally he's already paid the price (supposedly). He's a UFA after '22 and can go where he pleases... whoever drives the biggest Brink's truck to his door (Indy, SF, NYJ, NYG, Carolina, Houston, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Washington, ??).

IMHO, AR is closer to retiring than Brady. AR doesn't want to be part of a rebuild & said he wanted to retire a one-team QB.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I think you just set a forum record for refuting 16 posts by at least 12 different members in one single post. Wow! Absolutely amazing...... and very disgusting as well.

Show us some proof supplying data as to how the other 31 teams have drafted significantly better.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Really? Where do you come up with that?

Granted, this article is now "old" but at least it looks at the big picture of Draft Capital VS Draft Return for 10 yrs. During the 10 years being looked at, Green Bay had the 26th least amount of draft capital, due to being a pretty good team and picking late in each round. Yet, they are in the top 5 for draft return.

Reaction score
32 TDs versus 6 INTs would impress me more if he'd done it against teams like Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Clemson, OSU, Michigan, Penn State, etc. Even against the likes of USC, Florida, Miami. I think he was a medium-sized fish in a small pond. Well and good. Give him a shot -- maybe he's the next Brady. But don't spend a first round pick on him.

Again, I'll be happy if I'm wrong about Love. Put him out there for the rest of the season if you like. We're not making the playoffs in any case.
spending a #26 overall on a chance at QB is a near trivial cost if we hit. A #1 selection is between 4 or 5 Times the collateral of a #26. A #6 overall draft selection is about twice the value of a #26 on most charts

Across 5-6 Draft charts it’s the equivalent of spending TWO later Second Round picks #59#+#59 (sound familiar?!) We spent more draft collateral on Christian Watson than Jordan Love, yet very few people are in turmoil over that?

Watson has played within 19 snaps of Jordan Love and not 1 person is declaring him a total bust. Why is that? Watson has played the same amount of football thus far.. why is no one going on record to declare him a NFL failure?

I also noticed the narrative with Love is weighted on 1 college seasons to claim how his production declares failure. Yet the same posters (not necessarily you) will play that card differently depending on the player or position and say that college production is not an indicator of NFL success! Which is it?

Until we play Jordan Love for a substantial number of games (or seasons) no one knows. I remember Rich Gannon being outlawed only to thrive in his 30’s. Everyone counted him out. Some guys take 12 seasons as a backup and then hit gold! 4 Consecutive Probowls later.
4,689 26TD 10INT 97.3 rating and a SB appearance.

Go look at Seattle! 4 teams and 10 years later. Voila! Pick #39 doesn’t look so bad today

Some of You guys wouldve had Rich or Geno kicked out of the league in his Sophomore season and then in the same breath declare Brian Gutenkunst a failure? Yeah right

Last edited:

MadScientist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much zero chance of that. Rodgers would have to pay back the pro-rated portion of his bonus to the Packers (and not just the portion he has left after taxes). The Packers would have to get that money back, otherwise the cap hit is unmanageable. No he's going to give up that much money.

On the other hand, Rodgers plays best when he has something to prove. After looking this bad this year, he will be motivated again to prove he's still got it for next year. Plus maybe by then the receivers will know which end of the playbook is up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts