Lions - Studs and Duds

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love only has been in the league since 2020, right! Question always has been and remains, how and why would they draft him in 1st round and give up what they did to get a QB with this college history? Not really a "dual threat" with only 403 yds rushing in 3 yrs. on 170 attempts (2.4 ypc). His stats from 2018 were VVG however, in 2019 the guy had 20 Td's and 17 Ints., lower passing yds and lower overall rating. Sure, blame it on the team but bottom line, was he worth moving up based on stats and performance? Since he has been with GB his numbers are pedestrian and even "marginal" with 2 td's and 3 ints. in 7 games..... is he the answer?????? who knows??? Issue now is this team is playing with a QB that "appears" to lack confidence in his receivers, in his line and maybe even TE's. When the QB throws 3 Ints in a game the rest of the offense has to also lose some confidence. The Offense is broken, the D has too many "oops" and now the injuries are piling up.... the season is not over... or is it?
Career[13]6891,12561.28,6007.66029137.91704032.4
CmpAttPctYdsAvgTDIntRtgAttYdsAvgTD
SeasonTeamPassingRushing
2017Utah State
2018Utah State
2019Utah State

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have zero confidence in Gute. His last good draft pick in the top 3 rounds was in 2019. He'll end up using a high draft pick on someone like Jared Verse to add more first-round picks to the defense.
Agree. When we start getting higher picks next spring and potentially beyond I'd like to see someone else making the calls. I don't think Gute is the right guy.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. When we start getting higher picks next spring and potentially beyond I'd like to see someone else making the calls. I don't think Gute is the right guy.

I remember when Gutey took over Murphy mentioned he'd have a hand in personnel decisions. How much of that still exists, is it all transitioned to Gutey, or does Murphy still have his grubby hands in things?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Artificial turf is an abomination, especially for football. It shouldn't be permitted. It never should have been allowed in the first place.
I've been against turf for a long time, going to back to the old days of ESPN message boards in the late 90's. and now we have high schools clamoring for it and every new stadium being built must have it. Parents think it's great to let their kids play on turf for peewee football because it's like the pro's. I wish they'd bury it all and plant grass. Would be better for everyone involved except those making money off recycling tires.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been against turf for a long time, going to back to the old days of ESPN message boards in the late 90's. and now we have high schools clamoring for it and every new stadium being built must have it. Parents think it's great to let their kids play on turf for peewee football because it's like the pro's. I wish they'd bury it all and plant grass. Would be better for everyone involved except those making money off recycling tires.

I think it's fine if you're not wearing cleats so for younger players or non-competitive sports I think turf is a good choice. But these players need the cleat to change direction and when you push into a bunch of hard rubber pellets or pieces of artificial grass, that's when you're f'd.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's fine if you're not wearing cleats so for younger players or non-competitive sports I think turf is a good choice. But these players need the cleat to change direction and when you push into a bunch of hard rubber pellets or pieces of artificial grass, that's when you're f'd.
Probably also when you fall ******* it. Especially when it's your head/shoulder/back. Probably tougher on knees also. I guess it is for the owners with domed stadiums. Is it really that much money they save?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I guess it is for the owners with domed stadiums. Is it really that much money they save?
The owners shouldn't worry, they usually figure out a way to get the tax payers to pay for the stadium. Also, domed stadiums can have natural grass. With all the money being made in the NFL and their supposed "player safety is important to us", there should be absolutely no reason that they can't figure out a way to eventually have all natural/hybrid fields. Lambeau is a hybrid field, it is both natural and artificial.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Artificial turf is an abomination, especially for football. It shouldn't be permitted. It never should have been allowed in the first place.
Most definitely! And today's artificial is just a shadow. Go back to that horrific cement they played on in the 70's and 80's. I feel for those players including the great Walter Payton.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right, it isn't official, but I would say its next to impossible for the Packers to make the playoffs. With 8 games left, 6 of which the Packers will be underdogs (based on current play). They might be lucky to pick up a win against either the Bears or Lions. If I had to make a bet on the Packers finishing with 3-5 total wins VS 6-8 total wins, I'd put all my money on the first bet.

EDIT: After looking at the bottom 10 or so teams remaining schedules, I honestly believe that the next time the Packers play the Lions, they might be playing to decide who gets the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft. Go Texans, Panthers, Raiders and Steelers. I will be pulling for these teams from here on out.
I think they scrap up a few more wins potentially they are too hurt and playing bad to do anything I personally would like to see them get a high pick and trade those for future assets when Rodgers does retire

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary has a possible torn ACL. Doubs and Stokes will probably be out multiple weeks. Watson second concussion will probably put him out multiple weeks. Bakh is game to game, series to series. Absolutely terrible day.
So not a good time to be putting in Love. Can't judge how good he is if he has no receivers and no protection.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't follow this. I haven't bothered watching in a while, but I don't remember Love getting more than one chance to even play in live action. What is the very good reason?
Maybe because he hasn't been good enough to jump ahead of a first-ballot HOFer or something?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All players, have to take blame for this, JA made a very boneheaded penalty.

Explain what is "boneheaded" about that penalty? He barely missed getting his hand on a kick and barely touched the kicker's foot, who flopped like Lebron James on the play. Either you try to block kicks or you don't.

JA also got an INT and was one good block away from taking it to the house. He just ran out of blockers. He also gave up ZERO receptions for the third game in a row.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Every time I've seen him play -- both preseason and in real games -- his accuracy has been poor and his decision-making unimpressive. I'm not saying he's terrible. It's just that I've seen absolutely nothing out of him that makes me think he's special in any way. I could be wrong. Might as well let him play more this season and find out for sure. I just don't think he's got it.

I will admit I have been skeptical since the pick was made. In my view, if you draft a QB in the first round you better believe you've got a future starter. An above average future starter. If I'm making the draft pick I'm looking at the guys coming out of Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, LSU, etc. Traditional powerhouses. Those colleges expend a lot of resources identifying and competing for the best football players in the country. Can you get a hidden gem from a smaller school? Sure. But the odds are against it.

For the Packers' sake I hope I'm wrong.
He was drafted because they felt they had 3 more years with Rodgers . Not start right away like some

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary has a possible torn ACL. Doubs and Stokes will probably be out multiple weeks. Watson second concussion will probably put him out multiple weeks. Bakh is game to game, series to series. Absolutely terrible day.
Watson did not have a concussion. He got the wind knocked out of him. I don't understand why they kept him out after that tho.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His stats from 2018 were VVG however, in 2019 the guy had 20 Td's and 17 Ints., lower passing yds and lower overall rating. Sure, blame it on the team but bottom line, was he worth moving up based on stats and performance?
Interesting that you actually post the numbers for his 2019 season but not for 2018. His numbers for 2018 weren't just "good." They were outstanding. He passed for 32 TDs and 6 INTs. He also had 7 rushing TDs. Then next season, he lost his coach. He lost 4 starters on his OL who were all replaced with sophomores and freshmen. His top two receivers graduated and several other offensive players transferred. There wasn't much left in the cupboard for him or his coach to work with, so Gary Anderson basically told him to go out there and throw caution to the wind and wing it. So he did. I also recall, per an Athlon Sports article, that of the 17 INTs he threw, 7 of those were tipped by his receivers, including 2 in one game. Utah State was also 8th in D1 for dropped passes.

So if you think Rodgers doesn't have much to work with this year, Love had far less to work with in 2019. Yet he still managed to lead his gutted team to 4 wins. That, combined with his 2018 production when he actually had a decent team, is why he was drafted. He also has the skillset that MLF wants for his offense. MFL requested he be drafted.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every time I've seen him play -- both preseason and in real games -- his accuracy has been poor and his decision-making unimpressive. I'm not saying he's terrible. It's just that I've seen absolutely nothing out of him that makes me think he's special in any way.

You're looking at a VERY small sample size. Speaking of which, what did you think of Rodgers' accuracy and decision-making yesterday?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Explain what is "boneheaded" about that penalty? He barely missed getting his hand on a kick and barely touched the kicker's foot, who flopped like Lebron James on the play. Either you try to block kicks or you don't.

JA also got an INT and was one good block away from taking it to the house. He just ran out of blockers. He also gave up ZERO receptions for the third game in a row.
you are either disingenuous or didn’t t actually watch the whole game. The boneheaded penalty was a late tackle out of bounds which he double downed on by mocking the crowd and refs immediately after doing it begore the flag could even be thrown.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts