Lions pre game chatter

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I checked NFL stats and the Lions' run D is about as bad as ours. Seeing we had success running the ball against Buffalo last week I hope MLF sticks to that game plan today.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I checked NFL stats and the Lions' run D is about as bad as ours. Seeing we had success running the ball against Buffalo last week I hope MLF sticks to that game plan today.
You and me and the rest of Packer fandom Pugger. I gotta wonder how many of the 5 losses could've been wins if MLF had the discipline to stick with the run. Oh well, that's in the past.....

I expect Jones and Dillon will be busy. I hope the D can handle the Lions' O. They average 35 pts/game at home.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's really the question that is stupid because there is only one answer MLF can give, whether it's the truth or (more likely) not.
Human nature, we often ask the questions, that we probably know won't be answered truthfully or with much detail. Then the person that the question is being put to, learns how to not actually answer it. Most politicians have perfected this dance.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Human nature, we often ask the questions, that we probably know won't be answered truthfully or with much detail. Then the person that the question is being put to, learns how to not actually answer it. Most politicians have perfected this dance.
It's an art form, both asking the question and answering. I admit I won't notice it if I'm watching the entire interview, the entire back and forth - it's like being pulled in without really thinking. But if I'm not watching or listening, and I just hear the question, completely out of context, I'll say "WTF that's a stupid question!" And yeah, no one does it better than politicians - answering a question without really answering it.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What bothers me with the Barry situation, and I don't believe it's all his fault but he plays a big part in it, is that this week is the second time I've been reading about rumblings from the players on defense about the calls game plan and adjustments on D. Then when asked if he's considering a change at the coordinator, MLF basically says he won't even consider it.
What he is saying publicly to us… and what he is saying to Barry.. is very possibly a very different thing.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that this is the correct answer. Imagine if he had said "well, you have a point there and we are mulling it over and I tell you if that guy makes one more mistake, we are going to seriously consider making a change." Nobody outside of MLF and Gute really need to know what is going on in their heads, it's important for everyone to show unity, even if the players aren't.

I get players frustrations with how this season is going, but I really don't think it does the team any good to be so publicly vocal about teammates and coaches not doing their jobs. Yeah, I am looking at you Rodgers and Alexander.

It seems we have a team that is so used to winning, it has forgotten how to lose and more importantly, forgotten how to rally around your teammates to try and improve. The finger pointing is a bad sign and a pretty bad look IMO.
I agree with all of your points, they're all good points. He's saying what he's expected to say in a press conference. My problem is I believe that's what he actually means.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they look like crap again or worse you lose again today, it's the last time I'll have any belief in this team this season. Preseason it was believed widely - and certainly by myself - that the Packers, Bucs, 49ers and Rams where the cream of the crop in the NFC. Not one is even over 500 Midway into the season. It's the overall mediocrity of the conference that has them still alive in the playoff race. To actually be a playoff contender they have to start playing like it now. I'll go Packers 27-24.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they look like crap again or worse you lose again today, it's the last time I'll have any belief in this team this season. Preseason it was believed widely - and certainly by myself - that the Packers, Bucs, 49ers and Rams where the cream of the crop in the NFC. Not one is even over 500 Midway into the season. It's the overall mediocrity of the conference that has them still alive in the playoff race. To actually be a playoff contender they have to start playing like it now. I'll go Packers 27-24.
I like your pick. No game is a sure thing anymore for this team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think going into this season, more was expected out of the defense, but the offense was a HUGE question mark, at least in my mind. Aaron loses 2 of his main WR's, the OL injuries and question marks surrounding 2 of the key OL players and even the loss of Patrick in FA. We have all watched Aaron struggle with new or very young WR's, this year is proof positive to that fact.

I still contend that the defense would be better, if the offense was better. Maybe vice versa is true too, but the Packers are averaging 18.1 points per game (26th in NFL), that isn't going to get the job done in most cases. Especially when your defense is giving up 21.6 PPG (16th in NFL).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And yeah, no one does it better than politicians - answering a question without really answering it.
Yup and the media will only frame the bits and pieces, that make the biggest impact, even if it is framed incorrectly.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Watson shows good hands today. And I certainly hope Jenkins is at guard.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Watson shows good hands today. And I certainly hope Jenkins is at guard.
Agreed. Watson really needs an impact game or he risks getting further lost behind Doubs and maybe even Toure. Actually, he risks becoming irrelevant. On paper he looks like the best of the new receivers but he's been one dimensional and very injury prone. The time is now for this guy.

And yeah, the O line needs Jenkins (at G) and Bakhtiari.

tripleguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Lions come close to their 35pt ave, Pack won't win. I don't think they can score that much so that says to me, its up to our D. Oh boy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Lions come close to their 35pt ave, Pack won't win. I don't think they can score that much so that says to me, its up to our D. Oh boy.
Actually, the Lions have only averaged 24.7 ppg in 2022.

The Lions defense is last in the league in points given up per game at 32.1, so there is some hope for the Packers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of these games The Pack are going to play good defensively. Despite Barry and Savage. I hope to see Wyatt play good and play a lot. To take over for Lowry.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, the Lions have only averaged 24.7 ppg in 2022.

The Lions defense is last in the league in points given up per game at 32.1, so there is some hope for the Packers.
Good to know about the Lions' D. The Packers need to put up 30 or 40 plus points for a change. For the fans.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether or not we run the ball really well; I hope we throw a lot. We need to start throwing effectively. And so we need the practice.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think going into this season, more was expected out of the defense, but the offense was a HUGE question mark, at least in my mind. Aaron loses 2 of his main WR's, the OL injuries and question marks surrounding 2 of the key OL players and even the loss of Patrick in FA. We have all watched Aaron struggle with new or very young WR's, this year is proof positive to that fact.

I still contend that the defense would be better, if the offense was better. Maybe vice versa is true too, but the Packers are averaging 18.1 points per game (26th in NFL), that isn't going to get the job done in most cases. Especially when your defense is giving up 21.6 PPG (16th in NFL).

Haven't been all that impressed with the defense this season either. Less talk about what they can do and more doing. Start with doing a better job against the run and more turnovers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't been all that impressed with the defense this season either. Less talk about what they can do and more doing. Start with doing a better job against the run and more turnovers.
Well said. 6 first round picks on that D, All Pros, Pro Bowlers. All I can conclude is that the coaching sucks. Whether it's the DC or the position coaches, something is wrong. I hate to say it but I don't find MLF to be an inspirational leader. I hope that's just me and I hope I'm wrong.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems the Packers never considered making Dillon their #1 running back as they re-signed Jones to a long-term contract after the 2020 season.

I wouldn't have been in favor of spending a second rounder on a starting running back but it's a waste of a pick for a backup at the position.

I'm familiar with Football Outsiders' metrics but no matter how they came with it the Packers offense shouldn't be anywhere close to being the eighth best in the league in any ranking.

According to PFF Wilson was an average linebacker at best during the 2020 season, especially struggling defending the run.

I don't think there's any way for the Packers to adequately replace Campbell. Let's hope he's back next week.
They didn't know if they would be able to successfully re-sign either Jones or Williams. They also didn't know if Jones or Williams would get hurt during the 2020 season. I know you've never agreed with the Packers draft philosophy of looking forward one year and beyond but it's been the standard process of drafting for at least the last 15+ years. You look at the here and now, and the past but never to anything forward from today. Kind of like the Jags, Browns, Panthers, Lions & Jets.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They didn't know if they would be able to successfully re-sign either Jones or Williams. They also didn't know if Jones or Williams would get hurt during the 2020 season. I know you've never agreed with the Packers draft philosophy of looking forward one year and beyond but it's been the standard process of drafting for at least the last 15+ years. You look at the here and now, and the past but never to anything forward from today. Kind of like the Jags, Browns, Panthers, Lions & Jets.
FWIW, I thought drafting Dillon was an excellent decision by Gluten. They had Jones and Williams and knew they'd lose one of those guys. They kept Dillon, let Williams walk in FA, and even after today's game, it was the right decision. And it made up, a little, for the disastrous drafting of Love in round 1.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts