Lions pre game chatter

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, the "Unstoppable force" of the Lions offense is averaging 11 points a game over their last 3 games.

10th ranked offense by DVOA...sure, it's not unstoppable for some teams, but have you seen the Packers' defense? Washington is the 30th ranked offense so I'm not claiming this defense can stop anyone.

Reaction score
1000%. You get just the initial blocking assignments that man will give you minimum four yards I bet, MINIMUM. He gets two/three full strides going and not a lot of human beings will stop him cold. He is not one to make a hole with wiggle like Jones or similar backs...but all of them cannot fall forward with Aaron Donald tackling them either.
Exactly. That’s been our issue this season is our OL was (is) discombobulated. The blocking is all over the map. Some good some not good and it’s like working through a maze.
Imo Jones does better reading that maze, Dillon just hits that hole and trucks into whoever is in his way and I’m guessing it’s why his per carry has dropped some.

We should really watch that and balance whichever RB is having more success. I have a sneaking suspicion Dillon will have a good game at Detroit. The Giants (27th) are almost as bad as us against the Run (30)

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really had NO problem with the Dillon pick at that spot. The 2 picks that were unmitigated disasters were Love in the 1st and Deguara in the 3rd.

I honestly don't understand the hate for Deguara - the dude wasn't drafted to be a Travis Kelce/George Kittle/Hockenson type receiving threat. He honestly is precisely what was advertised, an athletic H back type TE that can split out, had good hands, above average ability post catch, willing and above average blocker....and a guy that will hover around that 300-500 yard production role for any team needing him to be their TE2 or TE3 in this system.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly don't understand the hate for Deguara - the dude wasn't drafted to be a Travis Kelce/George Kittle/Hockenson type receiving threat. He honestly is precisely what was advertised, an athletic H back type TE that can split out, had good hands, above average ability post catch, willing and above average blocker....and a guy that will hover around that 300-500 yard production role for any team needing him to be their TE2 or TE3 in this system.
He was drafted to be our Juszczyk, but doesn't seem to provide a lot of juice for this offense. Of course, he needs to be used more, and losing him during his rookie season set him back. I think he's a work in progress.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
The Lions defense is historically bad. The Packers will at least run all over them, if not pass all over them too. They have been sieve. I'd be disappointed if the Pack don't put up at least 30. That should be more than enough to win the game. The Lions just lost their TE as a weapon, so one less thing to worry about. Start by stopping the run and then get a pick or two off Goff. This is one of two for sure wins I have them marked down for. The other is the Bears. GPG!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was drafted to be our Juszczyk, but doesn't seem to provide a lot of juice for this offense. Of course, he needs to be used more, and losing him during his rookie season set him back. I think he's a work in progress.

Deguara has seen only 101 snaps and yet has produced 65 yards on 6 receptions (7 targets) with 47 YAC

Juszczyk has seen 240 snaps and yet has produced 153 yards on 11 receptions (15 targets) with 112 YAC

They're VERY similar in a per snap production....

Deguara .64 yards receiving per snap, 7.8 yards after the catch per catch.
Juszczyk .64 yards receiving per snap, 10.1 yards after the catch per catch.

Even crazier check this out, for 2022 so far:

Deguara PFF overall grade is a 63.8 and his receiving overall grade is 72.5
Juszczyk PFF overall grade is a 63.4 and his receiving overall grade is 67.6

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Oh I understood getting a RB draft pick, and I was actually high on Dillon, but I was not a fan of taking a RB that early - I understood the logic of it however for sure.
We need him and the line to be clicking in January. That’s when he would be worth every bit of round 2.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I hated the pick, mostly because of what happened with picks 1 and 2 in that draft. And I didn’t like the value of it in the 3rd round. But his role is needed more and more in offenses like the Packers. And like I mentioned in another thread, he’s played well lately.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair they're playing quite similar really from a production standpoint - the only big difference is touches in the redzone...but if you removed TDs from the equation:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
The Lions have been to look terrific at times. In Week 2 last year they looked pretty good around halftime. But as we all know. The Lions are the Lions. Let us hope they continue another week.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10th ranked offense by DVOA...sure, it's not unstoppable for some teams, but have you seen the Packers' defense? Washington is the 30th ranked offense so I'm not claiming this defense can stop anyone.
The Patriots shut them out. I hope we watched some of that film.

Reaction score
I will only say we’d better not go in thinking they are a 1 Win, lousy team either.
Detroit’s 685 “real time SOS”
is likely among the toughest in the league. They have played:

Eagles 7-0
Washington 4-4
Vikings 6-1
Seahawks 5-3
Patriots 4-4
Cowboys 6-2
Dolphins 5-3

SOS played thru current

1-6 Detroit .685
3-5 Packers .597

3-5 Cards: .559
3-5 Bears .556

3-4 Rams .527

3-5 Saints .468
3-5 Tampa .468
2-6 Panthers .460

Detroit is probably salivating over getting to spoil our season in front of a home crowd

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots shut them out. I hope we watched some of that film.
Our defense would benefit from watching nearly any Bill Belichick era Patriots defense play. Bill gets a lot out of his players, nobody schemes better than Bill.

Reaction score
I like him. I would actually like to see him more involved in the Offense though. He’s primarily a ST and until last week averaged 15 snaps on O per game. Mostly as a blocker. Im sure you recall last seasons finish by him as you noted earlier this season. He’s been near non existent as a Receiver

Would expect Maybe 20-30 snaps a game 3-4 targets etc:,

Last edited:
Reaction score
We do match up well with Detroit and you can see what Dallas just did to them. Other than DB Turnovers the Packers Defense is built in the mold of Dallas. Dallas allows lots of Rushing yards but like us they actually play the pass great. We have allowed too many singular coverage errors “big plays” for TD’s but also we’ve hurt ourselves almost as much as our opponent has hurt us imo.

You really do factor in TJH loss because he was on pace for 960-10TD yards as a TE and 27 big 20+ plays which is really significant. He is #1 in the league in 20+ plays at TE (11)
As a comparison Tonyan has (2) for 20+.

Big loss for Detroit, I’ll be surprised if Detroit puts up more than 21 points

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him. I would actually like to see him more involved in the Offense though. He’s primarily a ST and until last week averaged 15 snaps on O per game. Mostly as a blocker. Im sure you recall last seasons finish by him as you noted earlier this season. He’s been near non existent as a Receiver

Maybe 20-30 snaps a game 3-4 targets etc:,
Ironically, his big yardage play happened against the Lions in WK 18 last year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Would expect Maybe 20-30 snaps a game 3-4 targets etc:,

Yeah I was fearful his snaps would take a hit the more Dillon/Jones packages we saw, someone has to come off and with Tonyan and Lewis he is the one to get snaps taken.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad we spent that second-round pick on a carbon copy of Jamal Williams! Seriously though, what the heck happened to Dillon? Did the massive workload in college finally catch up to him? He was really good last year but he's been pretty bad this year (for a second-round pick).
there was a reason why they sprinkled him in after college where he was ran into the ground and beat up. He is doing ok but needs to sharpen cutting, otherwise he is solid.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there was a reason why they sprinkled him in after college where he was ran into the ground and beat up. He is doing ok but needs to sharpen cutting, otherwise he is solid.

I agree he’s okay, he’s just not close to looking like a second round pick.

I’ll also mention that the oline is really good at pass blocking but just awful at run blocking (which doesn’t seem to be hurting Jones though).

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hated the pick, mostly because of what happened with picks 1 and 2 in that draft. And I didn’t like the value of it in the 3rd round. But his role is needed more and more in offenses like the Packers. And like I mentioned in another thread, he’s played well lately.

That was the problem I had with the pick.

Reaction score
Yeah I was fearful his snaps would take a hit the more Dillon/Jones packages we saw, someone has to come off and with Tonyan and Lewis he is the one to get snaps taken.
If things go as planned at OL and we can get Bak AND Jenkins playing together for a few contests, I could see them peeling Josiah off from in-line on a few more passes. The name Josiah itself has historic roots in Revival, Rediscovery and Recommitment so if anyone can recoup it’s Deguara!

We’ve had to use our TE increasingly more in the Blocking game and while it has helped in Run or pass protect, it’s hurt our opportunity Cost as a Receiving threat.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If things go as planned at OL and we can get Bak AND Jenkins playing together for a few contests, I could see them peeling Josiah off from in-line on a few more passes. The name Josiah itself has historic roots in Revival, Rediscovery and Recommitment so if anyone can recoup it’s Deguara!

We’ve had to use our TE increasingly more in the Blocking game and while it has helped in Run or pass protect, it’s hurt our opportunity Cost as a Receiving threat.
Using a 2-TE formation more would allow the best of both worlds, IMHO. Lewis & Deguara on called run plays/early downs, and Tonyan & Deguara on called pass plays/3rd downs.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see some articles about moving Douglas to safety, is that something that's official or is this just journalist spin?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw one about moving Savage to nickel back. I think these guys just write something to get clicks and reactions. Nothing about Rasul moving anywhere.

Every article these days is a blip and then twitter reactions. There’s no substance or thought in any media these days. They suck

Members online

Latest posts