Lions pre game chatter

D

Deleted member 6794

Both Jones and Williams contracts were expiring after the 20 season. That is why Dillon was chosen in the 20 draft to replace one of them in the 21 season. Standard draft procedure for the Packers through the Gutekunst/Thompson eras.

That doesn't make spending a second rounder on a running back any smarter though.

10th ranked offense by DVOA...sure, it's not unstoppable for some teams, but have you seen the Packers' defense?

Football Outsiders' DVOA metric seems to be completely off this season. They have the Packers offense ranked EIGHTH in the league. That's borderline crazy.

Dallas allows lots of Rushing yards but like us they actually play the pass great.

The Packers defense doesn't play the pass great by any means. They're ranked only 17th in passer rating allowed.

We’ve had to use our TE increasingly more in the Blocking game and while it has helped in Run or pass protect, it’s hurt our opportunity Cost as a Receiving threat.

The Packers tight ends have combined for only 59 snaps in pass protection this season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That doesn't make spending a second rounder on a running back any smarter though.
It makes a lot of sense if you think he might be your #1 RB in 12 months with a coach who wants to run the ball.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football Outsiders' DVOA metric seems to be completely off this season. They have the Packers offense ranked EIGHTH in the league. That's borderline crazy.

It does seem a little odd; only guessing but I imagine it's because the offense has played 3 of the top 6 (and 4 of the top 15) defenses so far this year and they do weight results by accounting for strength of opponent.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like last week I fully expect the Packers to lose. They will make some plays here and there against the Lions awful defense..but the lions coaching staff will outcoach Lafleurs and the lions will out tough us at their place. If their is one thing I have seen is that this team gets punched in the mouth and they fold up.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like last week I fully expect the Packers to lose. They will make some plays here and there against the Lions awful defense..but the lions coaching staff will outcoach Lafleurs and the lions will out tough us at their place. If their is one thing I have seen is that this team gets punched in the mouth and they fold up.
And if that happens Lions and their fans will act like they won the SB. On our side heads will explode even more than they have already. It could uglier.

Reaction score
Looks like Walker will be wearing the headset on Defense due to Campbell’s absence this week. In a weird way I’d like to see a Walker Wilson combo. They might not go that route, but I’m curious about Eric because players often rise to the occasion when their showcased and they have nothing to lose but everything to gain.
I’m not suggesting he’s an upgrade over Devondre, but if he plays well he could be in the Run game. Eric had a very good season for the Vikings two seasons ago (2020)
In 15 Starts he had
3INT 8PD 2FR 3Sacks 120Tack 8TFL
and still played 23% ST snaps.
That Guy is a Workhorse and hoping he gets a look over McDuffel as we dont need an experiment at LB we need a thumper if Barnes can’t go

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Walker will be wearing the headset on Defense due to Campbell’s absence this week. In a weird way I’d like to see a Walker Wilson combo. They might not go that route, but I’m curious about Eric because players often rise to the occasion when their showcased and they have nothing to lose but everything to gain.
I’m not suggesting he’s an upgrade over Devondre, but if he plays well he could be in the Run game. Eric had a very good season for the Vikings two seasons ago (2020)
In 15 Starts he had
That Guy is a Workhorse and hoping he gets a look over McDuffel as we dont need an experiment at LB we need a thumper if Barnes can’t go
I have a lot of confidence that even if someone played lights out; next week they would be on the bench again.

Reaction score
I have a lot of confidence that even if someone played lights out; next week they would be on the bench again.
Sure. Campbell would be playing Sunday if he was healthy. Nobody asked for him to get injured so we could check our bench. However I feel like he’s a very solid patch until Dre gets healthy. It’s also apparent Barnes is nearing a return to action.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It makes a lot of sense if you think he might be your #1 RB in 12 months with a coach who wants to run the ball.

It seems the Packers never considered making Dillon their #1 running back as they re-signed Jones to a long-term contract after the 2020 season.

I wouldn't have been in favor of spending a second rounder on a starting running back but it's a waste of a pick for a backup at the position.

It does seem a little odd; only guessing but I imagine it's because the offense has played 3 of the top 6 (and 4 of the top 15) defenses so far this year and they do weight results by accounting for strength of opponent.

I'm familiar with Football Outsiders' metrics but no matter how they came with it the Packers offense shouldn't be anywhere close to being the eighth best in the league in any ranking.

Eric had a very good season for the Vikings two seasons ago (2020)
In 15 Starts he had

According to PFF Wilson was an average linebacker at best during the 2020 season, especially struggling defending the run.

Sure. Campbell would be playing Sunday if he was healthy. Nobody asked for him to get injured so we could check our bench. However I feel like he’s a very solid patch until Dre gets healthy. It’s also apparent Barnes is nearing a return to action.

I don't think there's any way for the Packers to adequately replace Campbell. Let's hope he's back next week.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems the Packers never considered making Dillon their #1 running back as they re-signed Jones to a long-term contract after the 2020 season.

I wouldn't have been in favor of spending a second rounder on a starting running back but it's a waste of a pick for a backup at the position.

I'm familiar with Football Outsiders' metrics but no matter how they came with it the Packers offense shouldn't be anywhere close to being the eighth best in the league in any ranking.

According to PFF Wilson was an average linebacker at best during the 2020 season, especially struggling defending the run.

I don't think there's any way for the Packers to adequately replace Campbell. Let's hope he's back next week.
Well, we did play the 2nd half of the Bills game with 2 LBs who had very snaps this season. Granted the game was pretty much over at halftime we only gave up 3 points after that.

Reaction score
Sorry if I don’t buy into Eric Wilson’s 2020 season being below average.(you said at best and said he obviously wasn’t “at his best” if YOU claimed he was struggling)

Give us real life examples we can review. Use any iLB in the league in 2020 from any team and I expect it’s a markedly better stat line than
Eric’s Wilson’s “below average” production (your argument).

3INT (Tied 1st)
8PD (Tied 3rd)
2FR (Tied 1st)
3Sacks (Tied 10th)
120Tack (Tied 4th among players with 15 or less starts)
8TFL (Tied 9th)
9QB hits (10th)

Not only is that not below average, it’s a fantastic year for any off ball LB

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry if I don’t buy into Eric Wilson’s 2020 season being below average.(you said at best and said he obviously wasn’t “at his best” if YOU claimed he was struggling)

Give us real life examples we can review. Use any iLB in the league in 2020 from any team and I expect it’s a markedly better stat line than

3INT (Tied 1st)
8PD
2FR
3Sacks
120Tack
8TFL
9QB hits (10th)
(15 Starts). Beat that with an “average” player
Who did he play for in 2020? I’m not familiar with the name or player. If he’s with the Packers it’s news to me. PS guy?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who did he play for in 2020? I’m not familiar with the name or player. If he’s with the Packers it’s news to me. PS guy? The numbers you provide are good. A lot can happen in two years I guess.

Reaction score
Who did he play for in 2020? I’m not familiar with the name or player. If he’s with the Packers it’s news to me. PS guy?
Originally from the Vikings

Packers signed him mainly for ST.
At Buffalo in short duty with both our LB going out, he recorded 23 snaps
1 Sack
4Tackles (1 ST)
1TFL

We could do a whole lot worse for a backup option at LB than Eric Wilson. Plus we just activated LB Krys Barnes, who’s a pretty solid Run Stopper in his own right.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Originally from the Vikings

Packers signed him mainly for ST.
At Buffalo in short duty with both our LB going out, he recorded 23 snaps
1 Sack
4Tackles (1 ST)
1TFL

We could do a whole lot worse for a backup option at LB than Eric Wilson. Plus we just activated LB Krys Barnes, who’s a pretty solid Run Stopper in his own right.
I agree. I haven't seen the guy play, but the numbers are encouraging for a backup.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

Well, we did play the 2nd half of the Bills game with 2 LBs who had very snaps this season. Granted the game was pretty much over at halftime we only gave up 3 points after that.

That's a valid point. Let's see if they can keep it up for an entire game against the Lions.

3INT (Tied 1st)
8PD (Tied 3rd)
2FR (Tied 1st)
3Sacks (Tied 10th)
120Tack (Tied 4th among players with 15 or less starts)
8TFL (Tied 9th)
9QB hits (10th)

Not only is that not below average, it’s a fantastic year for any off ball LB

According to PFF Wilson had a total of 20 missed tackles in 2020 (3rd most among all inside linebackers that season). In addition they ranked him only 59th among 67 ILBs with at least 500 snaps in run defense.

The Vikings not being interested in bringing him back after that season and the Eagles signing him to only a moderate contract (1-year, $2.75 million) strongly indicates teams around the league weren't all that impressed with his play as well.

Wilson was originally signed by the Vikings as an undrafted free agent. After the 2020 season he signed with the Eagles but was released after only eight games. The Texans claimed him the next day and kept him on the roster for the rest of last season.

This year he signed with the Saints but was released when rosters needed to be cut down to 53. They signed him to the practice squad afterwards from which the Packers signed him at the start of October.

Reaction score
According to PFF Wilson had a total of 20 missed tackles in 2020 (3rd most among all inside linebackers that season). In addition they ranked him only 59th among 67 ILBs with at least 500 snaps in run defense.
Lucky I’m not not one to fall for that. That stat is relative (check his snap counts). Curious here Why did you purposely pick 500 snaps? That’s 43% of his snap count. That would make a person scoring a 95% (A) on a test score 43%. (F) It’s a weighted/curved stat
(Eric had 1,138 snaps in 2020)

Im curious why you sidestepped the original question with a misleading statement?
Name several players at LB that were MORE productive than Eric Wilson but considered “Middling or average” in 2020. Pick any MLB, RILB, LILB from ant team you wish. This should be an easy exercise if you claim he’s below average.

Names

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Then when asked if he's considering a change at the coordinator, MLF basically says he won't even consider it.
I would say that this is the correct answer. Imagine if he had said "well, you have a point there and we are mulling it over and I tell you if that guy makes one more mistake, we are going to seriously consider making a change." Nobody outside of MLF and Gute really need to know what is going on in their heads, it's important for everyone to show unity, even if the players aren't.

I get players frustrations with how this season is going, but I really don't think it does the team any good to be so publicly vocal about teammates and coaches not doing their jobs. Yeah, I am looking at you Rodgers and Alexander.

It seems we have a team that is so used to winning, it has forgotten how to lose and more importantly, forgotten how to rally around your teammates to try and improve. The finger pointing is a bad sign and a pretty bad look IMO.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that this is the correct answer. Imagine if he had said "well, you have a point there and we are mulling it over and I tell you if that guy makes one more mistake, we are going to seriously consider making a change." Nobody outside of MLF and Gute really need to know what is going on in their heads, it's important for everyone to show unity, even if the players aren't.

I get players frustrations with how this season is going, but I really don't think it does the team any good to be so publicly vocal about teammates and coaches not doing their jobs. Yeah, I am looking at you Rodgers and Alexander.

It seems we have a team that is so used to winning, it has forgotten how to lose and more importantly, forgotten how to rally around your teammates to try and improve. The finger pointing is a bad sign and a pretty bad look IMO.
I had to LOL at your alternative response from MLF about keeping Barry. It's really the question that is stupid because there is only one answer MLF can give, whether it's the truth or (more likely) not.

And maybe you're right about comments from Rodgers and Alexander about unnamed teammates not performing. That can kill a team's morale. Rodgers should know better and Alexander will learn, I hope.