Letroy Guion expected to sign 1 yr deal with Pack

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson will not go out and sign any of the big name free agents you mentioned and I´m totally fine with that. It´s possible he´ll look to pick up some second- or third-tier guys to fill some glaring needs (ILB and NT) but I expect him to mostly use the draft to address those positions.

Agreed. Signing one of those guys for a big deal would result in not getting compensatory picks next offseason. Maybe he'll find a guy to give a good sized contract to like Peppers, but he'd have to be cut from another team first so he wouldn't affect the picks.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Thompson will not go out and sign any of the big name free agents you mentioned and I´m totally fine with that. It´s possible he´ll look to pick up some second- or third-tier guys to fill some glaring needs (ILB and NT) but I expect him to mostly use the draft to address those positions.
The talent on the draft class defensive line is on our side this season. But ultimately, we would need two more NT, assuming B.J. Raji does not get an extension. Hopefully, we release A.J. Hawk as well to free up some cap space for Tramon Williams and Davon House. I personally love Davon House.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our chances of signing Raji just increased. Before this, I think they were ready to let him walk.

I don't expect Guion back as much of a solid year he had for us. You're probably looking a minimum of 4 games although it's hard to say if this falls under the player conduct or drug policy.

If we let Raji and Bulaga walk, drafting for the trenches will be huge come late April.

RepStar15

Reaction score
I think our chances of signing Raji just increased. Before this, I think they were ready to let him walk.

I don't expect Guion back as much of a solid year he had for us. You're probably looking a minimum of 4 games although it's hard to say if this falls under the player conduct or drug policy.

If we let Raji and Bulaga walk, drafting for the trenches will be huge come late April.
Who wants to let Bulaga walk? He is our most important re-sign.

RepStar15

Reaction score
As much as I would like to see the Packers get Danny Shelton, most predict he will go in the top 10 picks, TT will never trade up to get him.
Hey the draft is a crazy thing. Most people thought Johnny Manziel would be the first QB to go last year and he went 22nd. What I thought was funnier was that there was actually a GM out there that thought Johnny Manziel had potential in the NFL. I said that last year and everyone shamed me for it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Agreed on how crazy the draft is, but we all know TT and how safe he plays it, Shelton would have to slip way down and not cost the Packers much to trade up a few spots to grab him, I just don't see it happening. Some aren't sold on Shelton even being a first rounder, but his stock has gone up and for whatever reason, many scouts have pegged him in that top 10 area. Plus I think our greater need (depending on Raji and FA's) is ILB. IMO of course :D

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is looking at a 2 game suspension at most. If he can talk and lawyer his way down a few notches on the charges he probably serves no time and i am not sure how the NFL is supposed to punish him. If its his 1st drug issue then I don't think they can technically suspend him for it. If the gun charge gets dropped then I don't think they can punish him for that. I would have to assume they would give him a 1 game conduct detrimental to the league slap on the wrist.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Even still, I think his chances of being resigned by Green Bay have officially gone up in smoke! :whistling:

RepStar15

Reaction score
He most definitely will not be in a green in yellow uniform next year regardless of what his league suspension is.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if he was just being Sir-Smoke-A_LotClaus for his friends and family. He filled up his big sac full of weed and his playoff bonus money and was going to distribute bills and bags to everyone back home. I actually would buy that over him being a weed dealer. That just makes no sense with him about to cash in as a free agent. What is the street value of half a pound? 2k or so from what I googled. It just doesn't add up. I like my theory.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll still be back. This will make a new contract he signs cheap for the Packers and we all know TT likes bargains. Plus, we brought back Jolly so I don't see why Guion won't also be brought back.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't look down on people who smoke weed. Honestly, that stuff should be legalized everywhere in America by now.

And so he had a gun too...so what. A lot of people own guns. I own several guns.

I hope we keep him.
Bottom line is he's charged with a felony. I don't want felons on the team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With everything else that went on in the NFL this year, I think Guion's timing couldn't be worse. Yes, Jolly was brought back, but he had also served time and went through a rehab program. Only way I see TT resigning Guion, at a big discount, is if there is somewhat of a "logical explanation" for the whole situation. But drugs or beating your kids/spouse, etc. are a hot button right now, so I don't see it happening.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do wonder how everyone would be reacting if this was another player, say....Aaron Rodgers? Just curious.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll still be back. This will make a new contract he signs cheap for the Packers and we all know TT likes bargains. Plus, we brought back Jolly so I don't see why Guion won't also be brought back.
Because Jolly got help and straightened himself out. Guion hasn't done that yet.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do wonder how everyone would be reacting if this was another player, say....Aaron Rodgers? Just curious.
Well I would be pretty floored if a player like Aaron Rodgers put himself in a situation like this. Johnny Manziel? yeah, Rodgers??? man that would undo a lot of history for me.

But if Letroy had more of a history with this team, maybe I'd have a different opinion. At this point, I still think he could be signed to a vet min contract depending on his legal struggles and depending on the rest of the story we're probably not hearing.

But at this point I don't know anybody could even compare a Guion to Rodgers???

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But at this point I don't know anybody could even compare a Guion to Rodgers???

Good answer. I wasn't meaning to compare the two players. Was just a hypothetical question.
I was just curious as to how fans would react if this had been someone like Rodgers, Nelson or Cobb. Would we all be a little more forgiving? Look how the VisQueen fans had to deal with the Peterson thing. Talking about a unit twister, your best player does something like that.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I don't think Guion will be back...but I wouldn't be totally against them bringing him back if it made sense. I understand the whole "packer people" argument...but if someone makes one mistake...why not give the guy a second chance, and let him undo his wrong-doings. I also don't see how they couldn't work some stipulation in his contract regarding these type of infractions were they to happen again if he was re-signed. Disappointed with his behavior, but I also believe people deserve second chances. The whole story needs to develop further as well. Hearing that the gun was un-loaded and in the case with a permit is one example of information that changed my whole perception of the situation.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So someone who has been in the NFL for seven seasons is dealing pot? Even at league minimums (he made just under $1M this season) I wonder how much money he’s earned.
What if he was just being Sir-Smoke-A_LotClaus for his friends and family. He filled up his big sac full of weed and his playoff bonus money and was going to distribute bills and bags to everyone back home. I actually would buy that over him being a weed dealer. That just makes no sense with him about to cash in as a free agent. What is the street value of half a pound? 2k or so from what I googled. It just doesn't add up. I like my theory.
If you’d buy that, how about this: He was about to conduct secret research on the harmful effects of marijuana – the $190K was for lab equipment. The gun? He didn’t even know he had a gun!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did the Packers pay him in cash this year? The guy had $190k on him.

He said it was money from the Packers too. Someone get this guy over to Associated Bank and tell him about the magic of a basic FDIC insured checking account.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This actually could really work out in the Packer's favor. Poor publicity aside (as we maintain one of the most reputable reputations in the league), this could benefit the Packers. Here's why:

Ted Thompson was looking at what I am sure is a large contract for this guy. Was he a great addition to the team? Yes. Are there better options in the FA market/draft? Yes. The Packer's tend to keep personnel internal and rarely enter the free agent market. When we have, it has worked (Guion, Peppers and Woodson). With B.J. Raji coming off of a biceps tear and a few quiet seasons, I think it is safe to say that he will not be a Packer next year, or he takes a huge pay cut opening almost 3-4 million to go after a strong veteran, run stuffing nose tackle like Terrance Knighton from Denver or Damon Harrison from Jets. But remember, we have Mike Daniel's, who is young and has played some solid football the past 3 years. This is also a great year for the defensive line in this draft.

So let's assume we will play it conservative and not make any big signings in the FA. I have two words for Green Bay Packers fans: Danny Shelton. This kid could be exactly what we need at the position. Maybe a trade is in order or we luck out and the quarterback kick comes early or no one else needs a NT. Regardless, this is the guy we want. Malcom Brown a close second.

Unfortunately for us there are no real solid inside linebackers in FA. So taking Denzel Perryman in the 1st-2nd round would compliment our defensive scheme as well.

So, this leaves us plenty of room to resign the guys we need (Cobb, Bryan Bulgara, Tramon Williams and/or Davon House, Kuhn and Jarrett Bush), with some room in the budget to make 1-2 big signings. Imagine Jason Pierre Paul in green and yellow? Would cutting Tramon Williams to get a guy like Brandon Flowers or Darell Revis be a bad thing? Maybe we want to fully stock our offense and put Julius Thomas on the line? Losing Guion really may have opened up some great opportunities.

The inclusion or exclusion of Guion on this roster shouldn't have any affect positively or negatively on our ability to go after a big name FA. While I don't doubt TT had interest in bringing back Guion before this incident there certainly wasn't any big contract that was going to be given here. I could see a 2-3 year deal for 3M or so per.

Members online

Latest posts