1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Letroy Guion expected to sign 1 yr deal with Pack

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by captainWIMM, Feb 4, 2015.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,597
    He was arrested last night in Starke, Florida.

2. Pack12TX

Pack12TX Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    Really? I had so much hope for this guy. I don't understand why athlete's continue to put themselves in these types of situations.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,597
    Packers statement on the story:

We are aware of a serious matter involving Letroy Guion. We have not yet spoken to Letroy and we will have no further comment.

4. dbain21

dbain21 Chicagoland Packer Fan

Ratings:
    +143
    Disappointed. This might sound bad but...just don't get caught...how hard is it? Or don't do it at all and climate the risk all together...wait till you're done with football.

Maybe Raji's time to prove something now.

5. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +368
    dumb ***...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    2 separate issues. The first, weed is booze, just drop it already.

2nd, no matter your view on the rule, rules are rules. If you're looking for a new contract after just playing a pretty decent year, keep your damn nose clean. Put the buddha pipe down for a few years while you make your living that will leave you pretty financially well off in a few years.

I had hopes for him too, but I guess our need for DL just went up and the offseason just started. I guess the good news is he isn't going to cost anything more than the vet minimum to sign again :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +504
  8. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,597
    In addition he was charged with a felony of possessing a firearm.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,597
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +636
    Stupid but can't fault the guy personally, I wager this guy wouldn't cut muster with Lombardi's Packers. Their drug of choice might have been alcohol but Max and Hornung knew how to throw em down.

11. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    I wonder how he got the "felony" because weed was there?

12. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +508
    I thought carrying loaded firearms was a civic duty in Florida.

Weed, on the other hand, can only be gotten away with in Colorado or Washington.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    Let him walk. He's pretty good but he can be replaced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,069
    Teach me how to Raji...Teach me how to Raji!!! He has to be sitting in an awfully comfortable spot now.

I can't imagine they bring Guion back now that its a felony and includes a weapons charge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,597
    A felony drug charge in Florida is for possession of more than 20 grams.

16. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    We welcomed back Jolly after his drug transgressions, so I won't be so quick as to say Guion won't be coming back. Generally I could care less about the weed part and generally could care less about carrying a gun, but it's reported that he had a lot of weed and the gun. That adds up to more than just a gun-loving American expressing his constitutional right.

NT just catapulted right up into a top need even if they do bring Guion back. He's now got question marks. If this is only his first offense, the next would trigger a suspension. I'm sure TT will look for another Guion in the FA market, but whether one meets his criteria is a whole other question.

17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,695
    At least he's not a core player. What makes it bad is he's the second best D-Lineman in a weak group with no depth. "Average player" in this case is more meaningful than in other years or with other teams.

Anyway, it doesn't say if the firearm was unlicensed. It doesn't say if he was holding dealer quantities. There's no mention of a DUI. If it was simple possession with a licensed firearm and he wasn't driving, he might be able to plead down to a simple misdemeanor with the usual attachments...probation, fine, community service, etc.

I would not rule out the Packers offering him a contract if it's the mildest scenario with a short suspension. It might even get him back on a discounted one year deal.

It's not like the Packers haven't kept players in trouble in recent years:

- Mike Neal was suspended for four games for what he said was Adderall.
    - The Packers signed Anthony Hargrove as a FA a couple years back after he'd been suspended twice for drugs and then again in the New Orleans Bountygate debacle.
    - Erik Walden was arrested for beating up his girlfriend and finished out the season and his contract.
    - Brandon Underwood was busted for soliciting a prostitute and then again a year later for beating up his girlfriend. He was kept until final cuts in the ensuing preseason, but that had more to do with him sucking than character issues.
    - Jolly came back after 3 years and serial issues with codeine.

We await further details.

On the general subject, the NFL tests only once per year for drugs between April and August unless a guy is already in the "program". The NFL is so concerned with marijuana they more than doubled the THC testing threshold in 2014. Ricky Williams got busted for a THC level below the current threshold, so that should give some indication. Ex-players have reported that many players use marijuana in-season for pain management, preferring it over pills or needles. I think the league would welcome federal legalization with open arms.

18. dbain21

dbain21 Chicagoland Packer Fan

Ratings:
    +143
    This makes it much worse. Now hearing he also had about 20 grams of weed. He aint looking to smoke all that I would think...Time to let this guy go no question.

edit: apparently he had roughly 190,000 dollars in cash when he was arrested, along with two ziplock bags full of marijuana and a 9mm

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,597
    This story is gettimg really weird. Guion charged with possession of 9mm semi-automatic handgun, 357 grams of marijuana last night, per police. In addition he had more than $190,000 in cash with him.

20. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,695
    20 grams is nothing...less than an ounce. I'm sure an ounce would be plead down for a first offender without extenuating circumstances. We await further details.

21. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,695
    If that's the case, then Mr. Guion has a real problem. That could be dope measured in pounds and the cash is some serious circumstantial sh*t. Time to reshuffle the FA/draft priorities.

22. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,895
    ....Helloooooooo Raiders.....or maybe Johnny Footloose needs a body guard during his rehab?

23. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,695
    That's 13 ounces...dealer quantity.

24. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,895
    The Broncos could field a really good team if the NFL would lift their marijuana ban for any players smoking it in States where it is legal. Would give a whole new meaning to Mile High Stadium!

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    13 ounces? dang, i keep getting replays of Platoon over and over in my head, "we gonna get highhighhhh"