Lb talk

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i want to know why everyone says brandon chillar is soo good are you watching the games he gave up 2 td to the rams and let a 3 and 10 go today he is a good tackler dont get me wrong but damn he cant cover put in aj hawk and let him play if he cant put in bishop chillar is not what you guys think. GO PACK

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
welcome Nick..

I am not sure but I think Chillar does cover better than AJ..Trouble is it looks like when they put Chill in that okie set, he suffers cuz he is expected to cover a WR

OP
OP
N

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thank you for the welcome

the rams game was a te and was the same play to diff sides

and also hawk might give away some big runs but..... thats on the whole d not aj, a man to man and give up tds is on u my friend brandon chillar

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, welcome, man!

About Chillar, he played safety against St. Louis. that's no excuse, but he did play a different role. Yesterday, I agree that Hawk played better. However, there were a couple of big runs from Lewis that Hawk simply didn't get there. One I remember vividly, it was a toss to the left. Matthews takes the inside, Barnett (who is playing like he did in 07) takes the middle (there were 3 blockers), but Hawk never appears on the play.

OP
OP
N

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i understand that and that is a very good point all i am saying is runs arnt on one player and aj played like a beast when we played the best rb in ap.

clay mathews is really an amazing player he is doing things vets dont do he takes away the middle every run play

aj will play way more with his performance on sunday and nick barnett is playing very well also.

but once agien if chillar is in the game 1 on 1 when we play viking he will give up alot of points. I JUST WANT TO SAY FOR THE PEOPLE CLOWNING AJ HE DOESNT GIVE UP TDS IN THE PASS SO WHY PLAY CHILLAR PERIOD.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand you're pissed with Chillar about that St. Louis game, but he IS better at coverage than Hawk, RIGHT NOW. Do you remember last year? Hawk couldn't cover a TE, even in the flat.

But reviewing the game, Hawk really played a lot better. And he's bound to play a lot against the Vikings, because he plays the Run much better than Chillar, and we're going to see a lot of run packages...

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ's weakest point of his game is in the open field in pass defense, Chillar is better in that regards. The best on the team is Clay M. I have seen him break up a couple of passes, getting his hands up to bat them down.

The bottom line with our Inside LBs, they are all struggling to be an every down LB, both stopping the run and defending the pass in space. None of them seem to be good at blitzes, shooting the gaps. AJ admits thats not his game.

Chillar is better in space and blitzing, has problems shedding blockers and stopping the run. D. Capers is picking his poison and running it by committee with the exception of Barnett.

I feel a player needs to be on the field all of the plays to get the rhythm of the game, this taking players in an out all the time complicates things and lets the offense know what you are doing. At times I wonder what Bishop could do given a whole game to perform, I think he could be (a big maybe) a better every play LB for the Pack. The readings I get from coaches and players is that he has the ability, they don't trust him. Bishop will make a mistake.

I believe the answer to our inside LB position is not on the team, Hawk if he plays up to his abilities will never be any good in the open field in pass defense. In the 3-4 defense your LBs have to be able to play open field pass defense and be good in blitzes. As much as the debate that Kampman is better in the 4-3, I think Hawk falls in that category as well.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ's weakest point of his game is in the open field in pass defense, Chillar is better in that regards. The best on the team is Clay M. I have seen him break up a couple of passes, getting his hands up to bat them down.

The bottom line with our Inside LBs, they are all struggling to be an every down LB, both stopping the run and defending the pass in space. None of them seem to be good at blitzes, shooting the gaps. AJ admits thats not his game.

Chillar is better in space and blitzing, has problems shedding blockers and stopping the run. D. Capers is picking his poison and running it by committee with the exception of Barnett.

I feel a player needs to be on the field all of the plays to get the rhythm of the game, this taking players in an out all the time complicates things and lets the offense know what you are doing. At times I wonder what Bishop could do given a whole game to perform, I think he could be (a big maybe) a better every play LB for the Pack. The readings I get from coaches and players is that he has the ability, they don't trust him. Bishop will make a mistake.

I believe the answer to our inside LB position is not on the team, Hawk if he plays up to his abilities will never be any good in the open field in pass defense. In the 3-4 defense your LBs have to be able to play open field pass defense and be good in blitzes. As much as the debate that Kampman is better in the 4-3, I think Hawk falls in that category as well.
Barnett is playing like an every down player, man. Did you see that ball he almost intercepted? That's FINE open field awareness. He allways had it, he was just too slow because of his injury...

You're right about the others... But using a good example, Foote was never a great pass supporter. But Farrior is a complete ILB, so they mix it up well. If Barnett keeps playing like he is, we'll be fine, with Hawk and Chillar.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ is not the player (so far) everyone hoped, and Chillar is a better pass coverage player and IMHO a more efficient tackler. He provides a dynamic that the rest of the LB's in GB do not have because he is better against the pass. The plays were his fault but diff. situations like stated above.

I think they should just play Matthews and Bishop more.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett is playing like an every down player, man. Did you see that ball he almost intercepted? That's FINE open field awareness. He allways had it, he was just too slow because of his injury...

You're right about the others... But using a good example, Foote was never a great pass supporter. But Farrior is a complete ILB, so they mix it up well. If Barnett keeps playing like he is, we'll be fine, with Hawk and Chillar.

Barnett is playing well and is our only every down inside LB, the only thing thats holding him up is the full recovery of his knee.

The main problem the Pack is going to face with Hawk is his big contract, he is being paid more than Barnett who is playing every down. Hawk is not that dominating against the run to justify the big contract. Also I am not sure if Hawk is ready to play that role the rest of his career. He is saying all the right things, but I don't know if he is ready to be a role player full time.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett is playing well and is our only every down inside LB, the only thing thats holding him up is the full recovery of his knee.

The main problem the Pack is going to face with Hawk is his big contract, he is being paid more than Barnett who is playing every down. Hawk is not that dominating against the run to justify the big contract. Also I am not sure if Hawk is ready to play that role the rest of his career. He is saying all the right things, but I don't know if he is ready to be a role player full time.
I think he's going to take a paycut. But he doesn't worry me as much as Poppinga does. He's getting starters salary and rarely plays.

About being only a role player, we'll see. If he continues to play like he did last game, he's bound to see more action in sub packages...

OP
OP
N

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
without n barnett our d would fall apart just like it did when he got hurt he makes other people better. i love bishop but the thung is with him is he is not very fast that is why aj is on the bench for chillar because he is fast so bishop willl not play unless an injury.

i think u just have to light a fire under people somtimes to get them to play thats what there doing with chillar. thats what they did with grant sighn green the grant wakes up. aj crys about getting benched next game come back and kills.

Members online

Latest posts