Last years playcalling

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy is supposedly all about running the ball, but they hardly did any of that.

I'd like to see more running. It's the only way to get the line good practice.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers with a new ZBS and rookie guards in offensive line plus inexperienced center in '06

Number of Rushing attempts 431,-- Rushing yards gained 1663 ,- ave gain per carry 3.9 yards-- and 9 TDs

vs passing of Brett Favre- Number of passes attempts- 613 , passes completed 343 ,- passing yardage 3885 for TDs 18

Could that explain why Packer HC McCarthy called more passing plays in '06?

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some very good posts... I'll just throw in my two cents.

If I recall correctly the pick in the endzone against Buffalo was due to a crazy bounce. So besides us being succesful with that play during the year we had a bit of bad luck in that one specific incident. We could've had bad luck with a running play too (like the game at home against Chicago a couple years ago where Green fumbled the exchange and Urlacher took it some 98 or 99 yards if I remember correctly). I would like to see a little more running in that situation and in that case when it was first down it probably would've been the better call. But, the pass play isn't, as someone has already said, a bad call.

Overall, for a rookie head coach working with some young guys and thus some limitations, it was pretty decent play calling. No reason to be content as of yet, but certainly reason for optimism for the coming years.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offensive playcalling seemed so predictable last year. Is it just me or did you all think the same thing? Also, do you think teams will take advantage of that this year?

I did not think the play calling was that bad for the Pack last year. Oh wait I am comparing it to Childress calling plays for the Vikes which absolutely sucked. It was easy to see why he never called the plays in Philly. Important to remember predictable play calling is better than dumb a__ play callling.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packerfanforever said:
Our offensive playcalling seemed so predictable last year. Is it just me or did you all think the same thing? Also, do you think teams will take advantage of that this year?

I did not think the play calling was that bad for the Pack last year. Oh wait I am comparing it to Childress calling plays for the Vikes which absolutely sucked. It was easy to see why he never called the plays in Philly. Important to remember predictable play calling is better than dumb a__ play callling.

Plus, he's the only coach I know to run away from a post-game conference crying

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
Packerfanforever said:

You would cry too if you only won 2 of your last 10 games and the wins came against Detroit and Arizona. Wow it even sounds worse now. In two and a half months Detroit and Arizona were the only two teams he could beat. I am almost ready to cry. :rotflmao:

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally didn't have that much problem with the playcalling last year, especially considering the circumstances.

As others have mentioned, the OL struggled for much of last year so in many cases their hands were tied as to the plays that could be called.

We also have to remember the fact that the defense really struggled for the first 2/3 of last year which forces a team to play catch-up and precludes the running game. This is indicated by the differences in the stats for the first twelve games as opposed to the stats for the last four.

In the first twelve games, the defense gave up an average of 21 points a game, in the last four 10.

In the first twelve games, the defense allowed an average of 353 yards of total offense a game, in the last four 226.

In the first twelve games, the defense allowed an average of 267 passing yards per game, in the last four 122.

We can argue all we want about the quality of the competition during the first 12 games as opposed to the last four, but the bottom line is the stats and W/L record during those periods speak for themselves.

This still isn't rocket science here. Play good defense, win the battle at the line of scrimmage, have a good run/pass ratio and you'll generally be successful.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
vike4life said:
Packerfanforever said:

You would cry too if you only won 2 of your last 10 games and the wins came against Detroit and Arizona. Wow it even sounds worse now. In two and a half months Detroit and Arizona were the only two teams he could beat. I am almost ready to cry. :rotflmao:

Lol, well at least you can be a good sport about it, that makes it a little easier to bear. And on the bright side, at least you're not the Lions.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
mi_keys said:
vike4life said:
Packerfanforever said:

Lol, well at least you can be a good sport about it, that makes it a little easier to bear. And on the bright side, at least you're not the Lions.

Good point! It could always be worse. I could have been born and bred a Lions fan. I wouldn't want to wish that upon anyone.

Members online

Latest posts