"KUUUUUUUUUUUUHN' to become an echo?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think John Kuhn is destined to become one of those "wait by the phone" Packers, not unlike James Jones and Matt Flynn (and once-upon-a-time, Mark Tauscher). If somebody gets hurt, he might get a call, and if not, thank you for your service, but it is no longer required. That's the sad reality of life in the NFL.

Sky King

Reaction score
Kuhn is alleged to understand this offense about as well as Rodgers. Perhaps he's coach-smart. He never made tens of millions as a player. He needs a job for the rest of his life like most people do. He might make a nice addition to somebody's coaching staff someday. How nice it would be if he remained a Packer sometime in the future as a valued staff member.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of Packers fans tend to forget that Kuhn has a higher percentage of first downs in short yardage situations on third and fourth down than Lacy and Starks. I don't see any reason to not bring him back on a veteran minimum deal.
I agree. He has a knack for getting the "tough yards" and that's not something a ton of guys can say. Kuhn is the guy who almost never wows you on the stat sheet but if you watch closely had his fingerprints on many a key play in any given game. He's a pro's pro and for the right price I'd love to see him back. Consistency is a coveted commodity in the league and that's exactly what JK brings to the table in bunches.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of Packers fans tend to forget that Kuhn has a higher percentage of first downs in short yardage situations on third and fourth down than Lacy and Starks. I don't see any reason to not bring him back on a veteran minimum deal.
Yeah, but they only used him on 1 carry in short yardage last season. Crazy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Only having opportunity to run a single short yardage play last season may be a barometer for his future as a Packer. The Kuhn era was a long and worthy one.

His increased snap count at the end if last season might indicate otherwise though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it was just a matter of cold, hard analysis, then Kuhn is done and gone. But there's a lot to be said for the rock solid leadership and intangibles he brings; any successful team needs guys like him. I hope they're able to work out one more season from him in Green Bay.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If it was just a matter of cold, hard analysis, then Kuhn is done and gone. But there's a lot to be said for the rock solid leadership and intangibles he brings; any successful team needs guys like him. I hope they're able to work out one more season from him in Green Bay.
If they do, I think it will be like Donald Driver's final season. Not really a spot for him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Kuhn... But I'd rather keep an extra WR, or OL...... We have Ripkowski, and if we arent willing to cut him, then theres no room for FB IMO.........

D

Deleted member 6794

Could that be because our offense was rarely in short yardage situations? :eek:

The Packers had the seventh most short yardage plays on third or fourth down in the league last season but only ranked 31st in first down percentage on those plays.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers had the seventh most short yardage plays on third or fourth down in the league last season but only ranked 31st in first down percentage on those plays.
They probably had so many on 4th down because they failed to convert them on third. Or the receiver caught the ball on the short side of the sticks.

D

Deleted member 6794

They probably had so many on 4th down because they failed to convert them on third. Or the receiver caught the ball on the short side of the sticks.

True, the Packers only converted on 43.6% of their short third down plays and decided to go for it on fourth down on 11 of 23 occasions which was the second highest number in the league.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if it is to be the end for Kuhn in Green Bay here's a nice tribute to him.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could that be because our offense was rarely in short yardage situations? :eek:
Expanding on Cpt Wimm's post: According to F.O. Packers ranked 31st in the league last year in short yardage success, going 24 for 52; with the average team having 47 attempts. From 2013 to 2015 they rank 24th in 3rd and 2 conversion rates, where they pass 72.5% of the time--and have a success rate passing of 44.8%. Overall a success rate of 50% the last 3 seasons, certainly below average. Short yardage situations has been a problem for some time. It's perplexing Kun wasn't used to a greater extent.

Last edited:

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Kuhn and wouldn't mind bringing him back, but I think some of you guys are
giving him more credit than he deserves for his short yardage running. I don't have
the stats in front of me, but I routinely rewatch Packer games from the last few years
and he struggled some in short yardage. The blocking in front of him deserves some
of the blame, but his running style is a very one dimensional forward only and lacks
any bounce to the outside. I'm hoping Jared Cook can help improve this year's run
blocking and I'm a little surprised we didn't draft a change of pace RB like Paul
Perkins.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like Kuhn and wouldn't mind bringing him back, but I think some of you guys are
giving him more credit than he deserves for his short yardage running. I don't have
the stats in front of me, but I routinely rewatch Packer games from the last few years
and he struggled some in short yardage. The blocking in front of him deserves some
of the blame, but his running style is a very one dimensional forward only and lacks
any bounce to the outside.

Kuhn for sure doesn't get any extra yards but has been reliable converting short yardage situations into first downs. He has a higher percentage of success in those situations than Lacy and Starks.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would say most of it. Offensive line play has been offensive 7 of 9 years under Campen.

Pro Football Focus ranked the Packers offensive line the seventh best overall unit last season as well as the fourth best in 2014. According to them the run blocking has been only average though (17th in 2015, 14th in '14).

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2014, when our line was ranked no. 8 in the league in run blocking (by DVOA), we ranked only 25th in "power"(success on 3rd or 4th w 2 yds or less to go), and 24th in "stuffs" (number of times stopped at or behind LOS). Much of that failure is due to blocking. Campen's lines have averaged 17th in run blocking over the last 9 years. The only outstanding line he's been in charge of was the line he inherited in 2007, which had been in the top 1 or 2 under Beightol.

I have to stop beating this dead horse.....

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. I never quite understood why they keep bringing him back, other than him being a fan favorite. His value is not what it used to be, and he's getting older.

If they drafted Ripkowski it had to be because they really liked him and saw him as a replacement for Kuhn. I mean Thompson rarely uses draft picks for actual running backs, so the fact that he used one on a fullback tells you something.