Klemm is signed

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like one guard position is filled.
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/mar05/310315.asp

Klemm could replace Wahle at left guard
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

The Green Bay Packers moved quickly Wednesday to lock up one of the more physically gifted offensive linemen left on the free-agent market, but the acquisition doesn't come without some risk.

In former second-round pick Adrian Klemm, the Packers landed a former college tight end with the quickness and size to handle their critical left-guard position. Now all they have to do is hope he avoids the injury bug that caused him to miss 54 of 80 regular-season games in his five-year stint with the New England Patriots.

Klemm, an unrestricted free agent, agreed to terms on a two-year, $2.6 million contract that includes an $800,000 signing bonus, giving him the honor of becoming the first major free-agent signing in the Ted Thompson era. The Packers project the 6-3, 312-pound Klemm at left guard and intend to give him an opportunity to replace departed starter Mike Wahle.

"There were several teams that were interested, but Green Bay won him over," agent Ralph Cindrich said Wednesday night. "They did an outstanding job of marketing to him. They offered him a chance to compete for a starting spot and to better himself as a player. He was kind of blown away with his visit."

Earlier in the day, the Packers announced the re-signing of tight end David Martin, an unrestricted free agent who had sought a starting job with another team. Martin signed a two-year deal with the Packers, according to his agent.

Klemm arrived in Green Bay Wednesday and by the end of the day chose the Packers over the Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Ravens and Patriots. The Packers lost starting guards Wahle and Marco Rivera on the second day of free agency and hadn't added anyone new to the mix since then.

In the 26 games in which he played with the Patriots, Klemm started 10, three at left guard, one at right guard and six at right tackle. Klemm, a second-round pick out of Hawaii, was Bill Belichick's very first draft choice as head coach of the Patriots, but he never was able to fulfill his vast potential.

Last year, Klemm landed on injured reserve for the second straight season and third time in four years with a broken foot suffered in practice. The injury is healed, but Klemm will have to be eased back into action after missing the final 14 weeks of the regular season and the entire post-season.

"It was a freak injury," Cindrich said. "He passed his physical and he feels great and he can do everything they ask of him. It just wouldn't make sense to have him out there doing everything right now."

Over the last two seasons, Klemm, 27, has played in just five games. He started the first three games of the 2003 season at right tackle, but he injured his ankle and was put on injured reserve because the Patriots needed immediate help due to a rash of injuries.

He played in all 16 games in 2002, starting two at right tackle and one at right guard. In '01, he missed the entire season with a torn calf muscle and in '00 he missed 11 games with a knee injury and a dislocated elbow suffered in training camp.

Despite his injuries, Belichick never gave up on him and was still interested in bringing him back this year at the right price. Klemm, however, was anxious for a fresh start and an opportunity to show he could handle a full-time role.

"I think he'll be a left guard there," Cindrich said. "To play guard there you have to be athletic and he's very much OK with that. His strength is as a pass blocker. He's a guy Brett Favre will like having in front of him."

The Packers were also expecting veteran guard Matt O'Dwyer in for a visit today. The 32-year-old Tampa Bay free agent missed 12 games with a torn pectoral muscle and has played in just 24 games over the last two seasons.

A 105-game starter since 1996 with the New York Jets and then Cincinnati, O'Dwyer was slated to be the Buccaneers' starting right guard last season until he got hurt.

OP
OP
G

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is a good pickup. Not a huge bonus, but a very athletic player. If he stays healthy, he is a great pickup. I wouldn't mind seeing O'Dwyer picked up as a backup or someone to challenge Wells, Ruegamer, and Barry for the other OG spot. I would be very happy with the O'line if that happened. I think that TT is smarter than many people give him credit for.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I DO NOT LIKE THIS RE-SIGNING OF DAVID MARTIN - IT IS WRONG!

We hardly saw any truly great play out of the guy - He should have left for New Orleans like McKenzie.... I was glad when they said he would be let go... I think both our waiting in the wings TE's (Steele & McHugh) both deserve that chance to start and prove themselves in the regular season, not just pre-season... Martin is NOT the next great Tight-End for the Packers... He's no Mark Chmura, by any means.... And I dare him to read this and prove me wrong! He will disappoint Mike SHerman to no end and that's another contention point against Sherman being extended in his contract - this is a waaaaaaay wrong move! Period!

Gimme a break - O'Dwyer is 32 friggin years old....

Sorry guys - these are both wrong moves.... it's time for newer younger blood.. My thinking is that when it comes time for the Roster cuts... neither of these will be around. This is a Lab test scenario - a petri-dish experiment... and I hope they pull the plug very quickly.

Name me two - no three games - where Martin was the outstanding player out on the field....ever! What are they?

Any one wonder at all why the Pats figured to cut bait with this Klemm character?
He goes down - it'll be Thompson's first blunder with the Pack.
Ol' Teddy didn't shoot straight with regards to every pick or decision he made with the Seahawks... this one may come back to haunt him! Hopefully those who are already here will step up and get greedy.... We NEED players who are hungry out there on the field.... that's how ya win games!

OP
OP
G

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I read, the Pats watned Klemm back, but Klemm decided to come to GB instead as he was blown away by his meeting with the Pack. I think the money was equal, but he chose GB to get a fresh start.

I don't like the Martin signing either. I am looking for Ben Steele to step up and be a contributer this year.

OP
OP
G

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that GB needs an older backup O-lineman to help teach the newbies how to play. I'm sure that they will draft at least one, and Barry, Herrington, Morely, Wells, etc could use some more teaching. If GB picked him up, I would see O'Dwyer similar to picking up Bruce Wilkerson in 96. Wilkerson was an experienced backup and he really solidified the line when he stepped in for Rutgers.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Name me two - no three games - where Martin was the outstanding player out on the field....ever! What are they?

name me three games where this guy ever got the CHANCE to be outstanding. martin has some skills. just like bubba, he's never used right.

OP
OP
G

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't like the way the Rossley/Sherman use the TE's. I think that Holmgren got it right when he used Jackson/Chewy in 96. They were almost unstoppable at that point. I know that Jackson/Chewy are better than Franks/Martin, but I think that they should be used similarly.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey IPBprez you really cant name a game where he was outstanding. I dont like the re-signing of him either but Ben Steele probably dropped more passes then David Martin even caught. But yeah i think we should have just let him loose and stuck with Steele/Franks.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Earlier in the day, the Packers announced the re-signing of tight end David Martin, an unrestricted free agent who had sought a starting job with another team.

I found this somewhat humorous. At least he or his agent still have a good opinion of himself. :lol:

I don't think Rossley knows how to use tight ends, or running backs, or quarterbacks, or recievers, or . . . :wall:

I think we'll sign some more vets and along with the rooks they'll let things shake out in camp. No big name vets just solid,hopefully, players. The impact is going have to come from the draft and young players stepping up.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
I don't think Rossley knows how to use tight ends, or running backs, or quarterbacks, or receivers, or . . . :wall:
Nice.....! Well said! I'm real tired of Sherman carryin' his backside, too!

In regards to '96 -- I am of the opinion that it was not exactly just Holmgren who made things work out there on the O-Line.... Some guys will always tell you that Holmgren was calling "all the plays" - I say BULL.... I think it was one Sherm Lewis! When Mikey H. went to Seattle - did he keep his winning ways? Or, did he find himself running at 50-50.....? Now, granted, once Sherm left and went to Detroit - his career sort of stagnated, too - but, then without the Favre/White combo - would you be able to take a bunch of average players and win? Sherm Lewis is now retired... But, I'll always give him the "lion's share of the credit" (no pun intended) for our winning ways in the mid-nineties.... it was a unique team, to be sure! and so far - only the Patriots have been able to solidify anything worthwhile and turn it into multiple SuperBowl trophies since that time... THAT's ...how hard it is to pull off!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett made Wolf look like a genius,made Holgrem and Lewis look better than they were,made Rhodes a .500 coach, and has saved Sherman's and Rossley's jobs the last 4 years.JMHO 8)

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flat out here - there is absolutely NO WAY that "only one player" on any team....makes or breaks that team! It is ALWAYS more than one player at any time in any situation!

The one thing I don't do - with the Packers (or any other Team for that matter) is spend my time being a singular player's acolyte!

You always, always hear about how some people really liked Dan Marino - but for the most part didn't actually care for the Miami Dolphins - that's just plain wrong - and even Marino would tell you so! Everyone on a Team needs the help of the others to make it work.... It ain't GOLF!

I am a Green Bay Packers Acolyte - first & foremost - there should never be any reason to rise a specific player above the T-E-A-M.

Let's switch your comment - to become Holmgren made Brett look better....
And, if you watch Brett's DVD that comes with "his" book FAVRE - you will see him admit that Mike Holmgren saved his career in the NFL in his 2nd Season with the Packers. Holmgren SERIOUSLY considered sitting him down and ending the BS - Brett kept trying to win with brute force - and not his brain.. and he was getting pummeled all over the field like he was Jeff George!

So - NO ---- I disagree with your premise... it will always be a Team concept in the NFL
- Something we saw Randy Moss has yet to figure out!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Klemm sounds a little like Davenport in a way. A guy with a lot of physical ability and potential, but can't stay healthy enough to stay on the field to use it. If Klemm can stay healthy he could be a steal, but I hope the Packers draft some depth just in case this guy can't stay healthy.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My post with Brett making everybody look good was probably a little too flipant. Sorry. Wolf did pull the trigger to make the trade, Holgrem did develop him into an All Pro, the others I don't know offhand what they contributed if anything. My real point was that it's usually a two way street with both parties contributing. In Brett's case the return on on their investment was much greater than normal.

Team play is ultimately important. But there's still a certain amount of talent that is neccessary to win. I think people would agee that Brett is very much a team player.

Latest posts