Kenny Stills

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most of us were happy that the Packers didn't trade a 2nd round pick for Fuller, even without knowing his PED situation. I didn't like the short term rental aspect of a WR that would need weeks to get in sync with the offense and then most likely be gone or require a huge contract to hang on to.

This news just hammers home the notion of "We as fans often don't have all the information, especially when it comes to personnel moves."

On the surface I love the idea of signing Stills right now, but for all I know Gute has a list of 12 reasons why Stills wouldn't improve the team.
Good points for not making any big moves at WR this season. And aside from that, the real need(s) are on Defense. The

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Good points for not making any big moves at WR this season. And aside from that, the real need(s) are on Defense.

I'm not convinced that the Packers are just fine in the WR department. I definitely think Rodgers helps hide their deficiencies and if Adams would go down, this offense will not be as good against top defenses.

All that said, not much they can do to improve their situation at this point in the season, except maybe with a guy like Stills. Same really for the defense. Any player of value is going to have to be found off of another teams PS or via Free Agency.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that the Packers are just fine in the WR department. I definitely think Rodgers helps hide their deficiencies and if Adams would go down, this offense will not be as good against top defenses.

All that said, not much they can do to improve their situation at this point in the season, except maybe with a guy like Stills. Same really for the defense. Any player of value is going to have to be found off of another teams PS or via Free Agency.
Yeah don't get me wrong. There's plenty of room for improvement among the WRs behind Adams. At this point in the season, my feeling is what we see is what we will get come post-season. Making big changes for elite players with only a few weeks to come up to speed is expensive and sub-optimal.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Making big changes for elite players with only a few weeks to come up to speed is expensive and sub-optimal.

But that is just it, with the trade deadline passing on Nov. 3rd, the only "elite" players you get at this point are ones that are released, clear waivers and are willing to sign with the Packers. Expecting that to happen is like waiting for Santa Claus.

Stills is by no means elite either, but its no secret that our WR depth is below average and if he ticks all the boxes with Gute and MLF, I could see them trying to sign him to upgrade the position.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
IMO they need another D-lineman much worse than they need a WR. Wide receivers take too long to get into position to contribute much for this year. Getting Austin squared away isn’t going to happen overnight either IMO. My second choice would be an experienced ILB to backup Kirksey.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMO they need another D-lineman much worse than they need a WR. Wide receivers take too long to get into position to contribute much for this year. Getting Austin squared away isn’t going to happen overnight either IMO. My second choice would be an experienced ILB to backup Kirksey.

No doubt they could use a D-lineman but who? Slim pickings this time of year and just like with trying to upgrade at any position, you have to comb through Practice squads and Waiver wires. Austin and Stills came at an opportune time for the Packers, I'm just glad they landed Austin and Stills would just be icing on the cake at this point.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But that is just it, with the trade deadline passing on Nov. 3rd, the only "elite" players you get at this point are ones that are released, clear waivers and are willing to sign with the Packers. Expecting that to happen is like waiting for Santa Claus.

Stills is by no means elite either, but its no secret that our WR depth is below average and if he ticks all the boxes with Gute and MLF, I could see them trying to sign him to upgrade the position.
I see your point. It's like expecting to find a diamond in the garbage.

And yeah, totally agree on the WR group. Imagine how unstoppable that O would be with a legit #2.

It's trading for someone that I question. And the time for that is one month past. The deadline for that was Nov 3rd, plenty of time for a guy to pick up the playbook.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's trading for someone that I question. And the time for that is one month past. The deadline for that was Nov 3rd, plenty of time for a guy to pick up the playbook.

What I find interesting is that supposedly Gute was interested in Fuller before the trade deadline. Thus seemingly acknowledging a need. While I am glad that he didn't make the trade, the need is still there IMO. Now you have a guy like Stills that while not as good as Fuller, will come a heck of a lot cheaper, with no lost draft pick. If nothing else, Stills is injury insurance and a potential upside contributor.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that supposedly Gute was interested in Fuller before the trade deadline. Thus seemingly acknowledging a need. While I am glad that he didn't make the trade, the need is still there IMO. Now you have a guy like Stills that while not as good as Fuller, will come a heck of a lot cheaper, with no lost draft pick. If nothing else, Stills is injury insurance and a potential upside contributor.
Yeah I think Gluten is always in the mix on trade talks - to their credit, the FO won't overpay with draft picks.

And you're spot on re: Stills.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I think Gluten is always in the mix on trade talks - to their credit, the FO won't overpay with draft picks.

And you're spot on re: Stills.
I think a lot of this shows a bit of consistency on Gute’s part. Going back to the draft, a lot of us were upset that a WR wasn’t drafted. Gute’s argument was that the guys that were available when they actually could have drafted them were not the caliber of WR that would have been a significant improvement over guys on the roster. I’m not saying I agree with that analysis, but it was the argument. Fast forward to the potential Fuller trade. Gute showed some interest there because he recognized that he was in a class above everyone we had except Adams... but luckily the price was too high. Now it seems that they don’t believe Stills offers much of an improvement, if any, over the guys we have... especially considering the time it would take to get him acclimated to the system. Stills is a recognizable name, but the fact that the Texans cut him knowing that Fuller was likely going to be suspended, along with the fact that he has cleared waivers and is still unemployed... should serve as a sign that we don’t know enough about the situation to form any real opinion.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anyone hear any news on Stills? It's been crickets since he cleared waivers. I have to conclude 1 or more of the following:
  • injury
  • too high of an asking price
  • decided to sit out the rest of the season and hit free agency in March
  • he's been Kaepernick'd

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there are lots of teams in the playoff mix with tons of cap space left. someone will pick up stills.
It will be interesting to see if someone picks up stills. We're at that point in the season (mid-December) where the contenders truly separate from the pretenders. Unless an injury calls for it, I'd be surprised to see contending teams make big personnel moves in December.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to the see the Eagles grab him. They are in a decent waiver position, need WR's and at 3-6-1, right in the hunt for winning that pathetic East.
Makes sense. Maybe the Giants as well now that they've beaten a legitimate team and are, I think, in first place in that pathetic division with a 5-7 record.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Makes sense. Maybe the Giants as well now that they've beaten a legitimate team and are, I think, in first place in that pathetic division with a 5-7 record.

LOL.....yup the Little Giants are all tied up with That other team in Washington. Of all seasons to not have to play all those pathetic teams in East! Although Pittsburgh is probably wishing they hadn't played Those Guys In Washington last night!

Interesting stat:

Since drafting Ben Roethlisberger in 2004, the Steelers had been 109-1-1 in games where they led by at least 14 points before last nights game.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Giants win that division with a 7-9 record I'm calling.

Of the 4 teams in the East, I think the Giants have the hardest schedule remaining.
  • Cardinals
  • Browns
  • @Ravens
  • Cowboys
I'm just hoping that Detroit didn't wake up with their win against the Bears and everyone pulling for Bevell. Sounds like the players are all loving the change from Patricia.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the 4 teams in the East, I think the Giants have the hardest schedule remaining.
  • Cardinals
  • Browns
  • @Ravens
  • Cowboys
I'm just hoping that Detroit didn't wake up with their win against the Bears and everyone pulling for Bevell. Sounds like the players are all loving the change from Patricia.
Good point about the Lions and Patricia. Apparently he was uniformly despised by his players. And for some reason the Lions are always a tough win. I'm sure MLF will have them ready, and Rodgers should have fun in a dome.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giants win that division with a 7-9 record I'm calling.
They have a tough remaining schedule but have seemed to emerge in that dismal conference. Pity that a 7-9 team gets a home game, but those are the rules.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is true....glancing at Washington's....I may be doubting my prediction I just made. They have a serious chance at 7-9....only surefire loss I see is Seahawks in their next four.

49ers doable, Carolina doable, Eagles doable.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is true....glancing at Washington's....I may be doubting my prediction I just made. They have a serious chance at 7-9....only surefire loss I see is Seahawks in their next four.

49ers doable, Carolina doable, Eagles doable.
Seattle is not a sure fire loss... ask the Giants.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giants defense is legit.
I haven't watched them much. How is Martinez doing for them?

In the East it probably will come down to Washington and the Giants. Seems like Washington has the easier schedule. I didn't see the win over the Steelers but it strikes me as a fluke. They play Seattle so we'll see.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't watched them much. How is Martinez doing for them?

In the East it probably will come down to Washington and the Giants. Seems like Washington has the easier schedule. I didn't see the win over the Steelers but it strikes me as a fluke. They play Seattle so we'll see.
The Steelers dropped some passes that game, but I watched the 2nd half and WA played them pretty tough. They earned that win. Good pressure up front, stoned the run and were able to run the ball themselves there in the 2nd half at least.